• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it from amazon this weekend. Which reminds me, I'm completely done with buying trades on amazon. They can't package for shit. Ordered 2 books because they weren't on instocktrades, shipped in separate orders. Six gun has a small ding, and the book that came today was completely bent in half to fit in my apartment mail slot. Instock just keeps earning my money.

While I've never personally had an issue with Amazon's packing of graphic novels, I probably only buy one book from them for every 50 I get from IST. There's no end to the complaints I hear about Amazon's shipping methods, though. The fact that they charge tax and shipping where IST charges neither if you order enough just makes Amazon seem that much worse.

strobogo

Banned
I got volume one of The Absolute Sandman a week or two ago at the library. I'm up to Dream's End. This shit is fucking bizarre. Like super, super fucking weird. Yet, I'm totally entranced by it. The first 2-3 issues were really boring. I almost gave up. But once Morpheus got free, shit got interesting. And then it got weird. And then weirder. And then weirder. And now I'm to a point where I can't imagine how much weirder it could get. I also have no idea how that kind of book was selling before the internet, and can't imagine how it would be sold next to Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men.

I am sooo in!

dc-comics-designer-series-1-greg-ca_zps8560c4a6.jpg

Cheska

Well, somewhat related to comics, I got an african sulcata tortoise today from work, named him Donatello :D He's already 25lbs :O

5Y7oeV5l.jpg

Bii

Well, somewhat related to comics, I got an african sulcata tortoise today from work, named him Donatello :D He's already 25lbs :O

http://i.imgur.com/5Y7oeV5l.jpg

So...you keeping him in your kitchen or does he have his own pen? :p

-

Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse #1

14288039470_fcdc792409_o.jpg

A six-issue miniseries. Superboy and Supergirl was returning to the treehouse only to see that it has gone missing! Obviously geared towards a younger audience but I still found it entertaining. Cute artwork with a simple story and huge text bubbles. My eyes had to adjust to the large font as I was reading it. I probably won't pick up the rest but it was a light and playful read compared to what I read before it (which was Punisher #7, haha).

14288039380_e55e4b61fd_o.jpg
14473466524_28c196d45c_o.jpg

Same, more so for She Hulk because it's so special. Probably my favourite running series

READ IT PEOPLE

Art aside, She-Hulk is ok at best honestly. Soule can and is doing better elsewhere

With all the talk that Zero gets on this forum, I would have thought that it would be higher than #250 with 6225 sales last month. GAF must buy half those copies.

Nah man. 9 times out of 10, hype on message boards online = low sales offline

Cheska

So...you keeping him in your kitchen or does he have his own pen? :p

Nah, they're desert tortoises, they live outside and live happily eating your grass and weeds. My boss has had hers for over 20 years since vet school and he's now about 100 lbs.

fauxtrot

Banned
Ugh, sometimes digital prices make no sense! East of West Vol 2 is $14.99 on Comixology, but it only collects 5 issues (6-10), all of which are $1.99 each (that's $9.95 for the math haters). Also, the rate at which back issues reduce in price is so slow... and they should go to $.99! If I can get the real thing cheaper locally, there's a problem.

I'm preaching to the choir, I know... I just needed to vent.

ReAxion

Ugh, sometimes digital prices make no sense! East of West Vol 2 is $14.99 on Comixology, but it only collects 5 issues (6-10), all of which are $1.99 each (that's $9.95 for the math haters). Also, the rate at which back issues reduce in price is so slow... and they should go to $.99! If I can get the real thing cheaper locally, there's a problem.

I'm preaching to the choir, I know... I just needed to vent.

It's an Image problem. Vol1s are 9.99. Vol2 and on (if applicable) are 14.99. Image seems to be the one that does the price reductions consistently, tho. Sometimes they'll drop a #1 to 99c or even give it away for a short while, but they're very regular about dropping to 1.99 four weeks after release. Meanwhile Marvel will wait for a whole arc to finish before dropping any prices in it. I don't know about DC, but I think they're 4 week drops, too.

It's an Image problem. Vol1s are 9.99. Vol2 and on (if applicable) are 14.99. Image seems to be the one that does the price reductions consistently, tho. Sometimes they'll drop a #1 to 99c or even give it away for a short while, but they're very regular about dropping to 1.99 four weeks after release. Meanwhile Marvel will wait for a whole arc to finish before dropping any prices in it. I don't know about DC, but I think they're 4 week drops, too.

DC are 8 week drops now. They used to be 4 but changed it last year.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I picked up Zero in trade this weekend along with Sex Criminals, Manhattan Projects vol 4 and the new Nemo book. Amazing weekend of comics. Zero is fucking tight, very impressed indeed.

I think that as readers we should not be concerning ourselves with sales numbers so much. Armchair publishing is for the birds, just read your funnybooks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I got volume one of The Absolute Sandman a week or two ago at the library. I'm up to Dream's End. This shit is fucking bizarre. Like super, super fucking weird. Yet, I'm totally entranced by it. The first 2-3 issues were really boring. I almost gave up. But once Morpheus got free, shit got interesting. And then it got weird. And then weirder. And then weirder. And now I'm to a point where I can't imagine how much weirder it could get. I also have no idea how that kind of book was selling before the internet, and can't imagine how it would be sold next to Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men.

Its no weirder than superheroes generally are. Also it was sold as part fo the Vertigo imprint. Also it gets weirder. Doesnt matter where you are in the story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You know the weirdest thing about Sandman? It was and is one of the best selling comics ever. It introduced thousands of women especially into the medium. And most of them left afterwards because DC didn't know how to sell to them properly. For a brief moment, comics almost left their neckbeard ghetto. And then they didn't.

The weirdest thing about Sandman is that DC didn't really try to carry that momentum forward in any real way. TBH I think it's only recently with the new Image boom that comics are running with actual creativity and diversity again.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I've been catching up on old comics, and have started reading Wolverine and the X-Men, starting with this issue (this is the first one right?)
nFu86ki.png

I love it. The art is gorgeous (I recognise the artist - Bachello - from Uncanny X-Men which I've already been reading and enjoy) and I love how crazy the school is, and that the first issue is basically Logan and Kitty trying to keep shit together during a school inspection. Glad I started reading this, hoping the quality stays high. I know it's still ongoing so I'll probably try and catch up to the current issues and start adding it to my pull list. Also I am probably preaching to the choir here.

I'm happy I got my LCS guy to give me a #1 first printing of Bee and PuppyCat he was holding onto for someone that never came back in (have #2 patiently waiting in my pull box already). Plus I had him pull TMNT Turtle Time of the rack for me after ya'll were talking about it.

Messi

So I've been catching up on old comics, and have started reading Wolverine and the X-Men, starting with this issue (this is the first one right?)
nFu86ki.png

I love it. The art is gorgeous (I recognise the artist - Bachello - from Uncanny X-Men which I've already been reading and enjoy) and I love how crazy the school is, and that the first issue is basically Logan and Kitty trying to keep shit together during a school inspection. Glad I started reading this, hoping the quality stays high. I know it's still ongoing so I'll probably try and catch up to the current issues and start adding it to my pull list. Also I am probably preaching to the choir here.

Aaron left recently and they reset the series to #1.

Zombine

Banned

5Y7oeV5l.jpg

He's really beautiful. He looks super healthy!

I miss my box turtles Leonardo and April who I saved
stole
from my 7th grade science class. They were fantastic animals and they lived for a good 11 years before they died of stupid shell rot. If I was in the position to do so, I would buy a tortoise in a heartbeat. They are the best pets!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Aaron left recently and they reset the series to #1.

Ah yeah, I saw that. Does the quality drop off?

List time, pretty big week. Glad it's payday soon!

Most anticipated books of the week:
Ms. Marvel #5
Revival #21
Saga #20
Deadly Class #6

Runners up:
Avengers Undercover #6
The Fuse #5
Trees #2

Also getting:
All-New Doop #3
All-New Ghost Rider #4
Amazing Spider-Man #3
Batman #32
Chew #42
Dream Police #3
Fantastic Four #6
Guardians of the Galaxy #16
Letter 44 #7
Original Sins #2
Original Sins #3.1

Might check out:
Outcast #1
Savage Hulk #1

Seriously why is the art in this annoying me so much, stop making Kitty Pryde look like she's 40, probably dropping:
All-New Ultimates #4

He's really beautiful. He looks super healthy!

I miss my box turtles Leonardo and April who I saved
stole
from my 7th grade science class. They were fantastic animals and they lived for a good 11 years before they died of stupid shell rot. If I was in the position to do so, I would buy a tortoise in a heartbeat. They are the best pets!

suspicion.gif

Got any 7th grade fap fiction you'd like to share with the class?

Owzers

Messi, the time is now.

Pick up Action Comics 858-863, on the cheap, if you Mooninites get the same Comixology sales.

844-870, Action Comics #11 annual ( last son arc ending) Johns' whole run was great, even when it got Legiony. I hope his new Superman run can come close to the quality of these issues, but i'm doubtful.

Owzers

I hate Superman.

There. I said it.

Fuck him.

What did he ever do to you? Love America too much? I've only liked a few Superman stories over everything i've read: Johns' Action Comics, All Star Superman, Red Son, Superman Secret Identity, and Superman Beyond/Final Crisisy. I don't like DC that much though, has to be the right book.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Probably because he's always chilling out in Metropolis instead of helping out the other superheroes. Why doesn't he ever fly into Gotham and go find the Joker when he escapes?

Also, when the Flash is running all around the world at super speed, does he ever get bored of covering all that distance? He's got super quick reactions so that must seem like it takes days for him, right?

Also why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to Mount Doom?

I don't really have a reason. I've never read a story about him that I enjoyed and I generally dislike OP Superheroes. He is also the wrong dude for Wonder Woman.

What does this mean, really? The concept honestly confuses me because every character is OP in their book. Take Harley Quinn. She literally defeats assassins like they are nothing. Doesn't even matter the number that she fights at a time. And she is just a psychiatrist who lost her shit and hung around with the Joker.

The only characters I'd truly label as OP are Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, etc. People who can alter reality. Those are the boring ones, IMO.

The irony of the Action Comics run I suggested you read, Messi, is that Superman is depowered through the vast majority of it.

I hate Superman.

There. I said it.

Fuck him.

When you say things like this, it makes me wish that they give Harley Quinn to Noccenti and that the book does so bad they cancel it, and in the last issue kill Harley, and never bring her back ever. I only say this out of hurt.

This is why we can't have nice things.

When you say things like this, it makes me wish that they give Harley Quinn to Noccenti and that the book does so bad they cancel it, and in the last issue kill Harley, and never bring her back ever. I only say this out of hurt.

This is a reasonable response.

PM'd

JK

Not Really

PM'd

Well, huh. I didn't expect that. And is that even anatomically feasible?

Messi

stun-smile.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What does this mean, really? The concept honestly confuses me because every character is OP in their book. Take Harley Quinn. She literally defeats assassins like they are nothing. Doesn't even matter the number that she fights at a time. And she is just a psychiatrist who lost her shit and hung around with the Joker.

The only characters I'd truly label as OP are Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, etc. People who can alter reality. Those are the boring ones, IMO.

The irony of the Action Comics run I suggested you read, Messi, is that Superman is depowered through the vast majority of it.
A terrible psychiatrist to boot!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Probably because he's always chilling out in Metropolis instead of helping out the other superheroes. Why doesn't he ever fly into Gotham and go find the Joker when he escapes?

Also, when the Flash is running all around the world at super speed, does he ever get bored of covering all that distance? He's got super quick reactions so that must seem like it takes days for him, right?

Also why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to Mount Doom?
Because the nazghul and all the armies of mordor would have fucked their shit up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom