• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
c7NJRa2.gif

Anyone can do anything, but advice to a beginner should be a bit more focused, I think.

Anyone can do anything, but advice to a beginner should be a bit more focused, I think.

My advice would be: Do what you enjoy. That person will learn very quickly, one way or another, what preferences they have. And honestly, how does a person know what creative team does it for them? As our past discussions have shown, this can be extremely divisive. There are people I'd warn a newbie away from that you'd herald as the greatest thing ever.

What if a bad writer is writing it? It wouldn't be the Deadpool you like. That's what makes it bad writing.

There is no bad writer who could actually get EVERYTHING about a character wrong. And everyone tries to get the essence of a character. Some succed more and others fail. But nobody failed so hard that he turned a whole character, that was written beforhand, into shit.

Messi

There is no bad writer who could actually get EVERYTHING about a character wrong. And everyone tries to get the essence of a character. Some succed more and others fail. But nobody failed so hard that he turned a whole character that was written beforhand turned into shit.

mbrittany_nocenti_panel_1.jpg

There is no bad writer who could actually get EVERYTHING about a character wrong. And everyone tries to get the essence of a character. Some succed more and others fail. But nobody failed so hard that he turned a whole character, that was written beforhand, into shit.

I disagree with that, but cada uno a su gusto.

Messi

Try reading Ann Nocenti's character assassination of Selina Kyle each month and tell me no one has ever gotten a character totally wrong.

But really read whatever you enjoy. You will figure out if a book is something you want to read quite quickly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you guys think that its likely that Amazon is going to sync our physical comics, that we ordered there with our Comixology library, like they did with our books and our music?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Haha--go read Brian Bouchebag's Flash run. He got everything about The Rogues wrong.

Most, if not all, iconic superheroes are larger than their writers, so it's kind of a moot point to say no writer has successfully assassinated a character because how could they?

Parch

This is bad advice. Never follow characs. Always follow creators.
I agree when it comes to creator-owned, but DC and Marvel writers are handcuffed to a character's skill set, continuity, and heavy handed editorial. If I don't fancy a character, no writer can fix that.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WOOO. Today is Big Damn Sin City day!

But the big question is, what else do I want to toss into my IST order? I don't want to add an outrageous amount of books to it (most definitely don't want to put it over $100, but I'll entertain anything up to that), but I do want to buy some other stuff while I've got the free shipping and now that I'm released from my promise to myself of not buying any more books until Big Damn Sin City comes out.

I think I want something light and fun. Suggestions?
I read the preview pages for Phonogram and as much as I wanted to like it, I think I'm one of those people who Gillen's writing just doesn't work for.

strobogo

Banned
Is there a story reason that has yet to be revealed to me as to why Morpheus' face changes so often? Is it intentional or something they just didn't really care about?

This
morpheus_l.jpg

to this

Sandman.jpg

With plenty of variations in between.

Is there a story reason that has yet to be revealed to me as to why Morpheus' face changes so often? Is it intentional or something they just didn't really care about?

This
[IG]http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080701/morpheus_l.jpg[/IMG]

to this

[IG]http://13thdimension.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sandman.jpg[/IMG]

I always took it to mean that he appears differently to whoever is in the scene with him/talking about him.

(I don't remember correctly but there might have been something like that mentioned in the Annotated Sandman as well. been a while since I have read that.)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

From Wikipedia:
It is unclear whether Morpheus' appearance is determined by the expectations of onlookers or if he chooses to manifest himself in different forms. He does deliberately change the style of his clothing to be less conspicuous when he visits the waking world.

I'd say that having a bunch of different artists working on the series and its offshoots factors into his general facial structure/appearance. I mean, no two artists will draw the same character the same way, so it's not that they "didn't really care", it's just how it is in comics.

Also, he's a god, and more importantly, the god of dreams, so I just always took his appearance to be malleable. He could be anything to anyone anywhere, because that's what most defines dreams.

ElNarez

Banned

The colorists being credited was long overdue, but the rest of the announcement is fucking huge. The stand they just took on creator compensation is major, considering I don't recall Marvel having announced anything similar. This could get tons of talent in DC's pool, which they desperately need. We talk a lot about how their editorial is all kinds of shit, but man, between this and the line being held at 2.99 for most of their books, DC runs a good business.

Kipp

Just saw that too. Lots of big stuff in there, and all really great news.

I forget, does Marvel give colorists cover credits?

Also:
The actual means of payment are seeing some changes, too, with payments sent via direct deposit to creators in the United States, and payment reporting and work-for-hire agreements now both conducted electronically.

Was DC paying people via checks sent in the mail before? I guess it's about time DC updates its payment plan. Haha

Edit: Wait wait wait...
In addition, physical and digital sales will no longer be treated separately. Digital sales will now be added to print sales and the sum will count towards achieving the sales threshold which triggers participation payments.

Does that mean that creators weren't getting payment for digital sales before, or...?

Last edit:
In addition, Digital First talent will now be eligible to receive additional compensation and share financially in the success of their books.

That seems like a pretty big deal to me. Great news for the people writing all that Beyond universe stuff a lot of you guys love.

Overall, it seems like a lot of these changes were waaay past due, but nonetheless, it's fantastic news that DC did indeed make the changes.

Bii

Hell yeah!

-

Batman #30

14499543575_b733b2465a_o.jpg

I'm playing catchup here. The Riddler's grip over Gotham has finally come and he has an interesting way of toying with the city and dashing all their hopes in the process. Capullo is still killing it with his art.

With the DC news above, this should give more exposure to FCO Plascencia because he's been coloring Batman's art in such a phenomenal fashion. Each panel is so painstakingly beautiful. Check it out below!

14498240214_c157439a67_o.jpg
14312937989_ac71bc189d_o.jpg

strobogo

Banned
I always took it to mean that he appears differently to whoever is in the scene with him/talking about him.

(I don't remember correctly but there might have been something like that mentioned in the Annotated Sandman as well. been a while since I have read that.)

From Wikipedia:

I'd say that having a bunch of different artists working on the series and its offshoots factors into his general facial structure/appearance. I mean, no two artists will draw the same character the same way, so it's not that they "didn't really care", it's just how it is in comics.

Also, he's a god, and more importantly, the god of dreams, so I just always took his appearance to be malleable. He could be anything to anyone anywhere, because that's what most defines dreams.

That's kind of what I figured, but the change in face was pretty dramatic at times.

Kipp

With the DC news above, this should give more exposure to FCO Plascencia because he's been coloring Batman's art in such a phenomenal fashion. Each panel is so painstakingly beautiful. Check it out below!

14498240214_c157439a67_o.jpg

Gorgeous.
I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out on oversized hardcovers of Snyder and Capullo's Batman so that I can start reading it... I guess it helps that I have a ton of other stuff to read, but that looks great.

frye

Marvel started crediting colourists on covers in like... 2007 I think? Which is around the time they really got serious on exclusive contracts for pretty much everyone.

Kipp

*peaks at the Iron Patriot and New Warriors issues next to me* they do

already seeing signs of that
https://twitter.com/nathanfairbairn/status/481525485965295616

Ah okay, cool. I figured that was the case. Thanks.

And hnnng. Just looked up what Nathan Fairbairn has worked on. He's the guy who colored Batman Inc? And Scott Pilgrim? Oh man. Thank goodness DC's won back his good will.

Morrison writing, Paquette on art, and Fairbairn coloring? Give it to me now DC!

Need.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All of those DC changes sound very positive, even if some are overdue. Expanded profit participation is fantastic, at least on basic sales of the original material.

Kipp

Aha! Six Gun Gorilla is finally on IST! Looks like I found the book I'm adding to Big Damn Sin City on my order!
I didn't need you guys's help with suggestions for books to add to my order anyways!

I love Brubaker Catwoman. I buy Nocenti Catwoman in hopes of getting a better book. I am close to breaking point though

Messi, that's the opposite of how business works!!! People don't say "Holy shit, people keep buying Catwoman! Nocenti must be a fucking horrible writer! Let's change it up and get someone else on writing duties."

Cheska

I've never read Sin City, but you guys sure are making this sound appealing!

Also, if you had to choose Hellboy or the BPRD books, which would you go for?

You have to read Sin City, it's a classic. Come on, 1300 pages for $50! $48 if you still have the extra 2% from last week's order. ;)

Hellboy and BPRD are both very good. I read Hellboy first, though.

Kipp

I haven't either, actually. Haha. I figured this massive, super well-priced collection was the best possible way for me to read it for the first time! I'm a huge Frank Miller fan, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

And regarding Hellboy/BPRD, I'm fairly certain you're supposed to read Hellboy before BPRD. I haven't read through all of Hellboy yet and I haven't read any of BPRD, so I can't confirm that first-hand, but I CAN confirm first-hand that Hellboy is fantastic.

1300 pages for $50! $48 if you still have the extra 2% from last week's order. ;)

That pricing still blows my mind. AND it's Absolute/Library Edition sized.
I thought Colossal Conan at 1200 pages (and same Absolute/Library Edition size) was a pretty good deal for $75 after IST discounts, but then Dark Horse goes and makes a collection that's 100 pages bigger still and reduces the MSRP by $50. Incredible.

That pricing still blows my mind. AND it's Absolute/Library Edition sized.
I thought Colossal Conan at 1200 pages (and same Absolute/Library Edition size) was a pretty good deal for $75 after IST discounts, but then Dark Horse goes and makes a collection that's 100 pages bigger still and reduces the MSRP by $50. Incredible.

Well, the pricing is what IST/DCBS chooses to sell it at. Which means they must be getting them from Dark Horse dirt cheap to still make a profit on that.

I'm curious about what kind of paper they used in the omnibus. Is it glossy, or is it the softer type of paper that the original Sin City books used?

EDIT: Ordered. Also tacked on Dead Body Road to push it over into free shipping territory.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

This
morpheus_l.jpg

to this

Sandman.jpg

Ha, just wait until you read Overture.

Li Kao

I wish Dark Horse had their stuff on Comixology. Their mobile app is so bad compared to Comixology's.

You think so ? I really regret the loss of the proper comixology app myself. A web store only is a faulty replacement in my mind. Comixology was lightning fast, the web store is certainly not (in my experience evidently, maybe there is a problem on my end).

You think so ? I really regret the loss of the proper comixology app myself. A web store only is a faulty replacement in my mind. Comixology was lightning fast, the web store is certainly not (in my experience evidently, maybe there is a problem on my end).

I'm just talking about the reader itself. Comixology's app works much better for reading on phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom