• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

tim1138

A call to say they are going to badly injure/kill one of her books characters wouldn't hurt anyone. Its a lack of respect to the creators. But hey they can do what they like. I also doubt that book is only selling 11k. It would be gone if it was. I would be willing to believe it sells almost as much on comixology as most parents wouldn't bring their kids to the comic store.

Until digital sales numbers are actually made available, all we have are print sales, which put it ~11k-12k a month. Clearly it's doing something digitally because it hasn't been cancelled. No reason to get defensive, I wasn't attacking you, the book, or defending Marvel.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I am trying to find the sub tweet where she said that something had happened to one of her books and no it wasn't up to her and so on. It was clearly about hellcat but it seems to be gone.

I was looking for that too. It's either gone or from a lot longer ago than I remembered.

Maybe it's just me or maybe there are more damning tweets, but that one doesn't seem to indicate she wasn't told, just that she's sad about it.

The one Messi and I are talking about, where she didn't name names, made it clear that she wasn't told.

Messi

Until digital sales numbers are actually made available, all we have are print sales, which put it ~11k-12k a month. Clearly it's doing something digitally because it hasn't been cancelled. No reason to get defensive, I wasn't attacking you, the book, or defending Marvel.

I wasn't being defensive. I was just saying I don't believe it sells that badly. Read into that what you will.

--

Heres a tweet that doesn't mention Hellcat but its about Hellcat.

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/739928708207648768

3 tweets later

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/739974070238740480

VanWinkle

Batwoman Elegy is REALLY good! I'm three issues in. The tone I lighter than I thought it would be which I like. JH Williams at the TOP of his game here.

I wasn't being defensive. I was just saying I don't believe it sells that badly. Read into that what you will.

--

Heres a tweet that doesn't mention Hellcat but its about Hellcat.

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/739928708207648768

3 tweets later

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/739974070238740480

Damn, this makes me even more upset.

She-Hulk is great in Hellcat and her getting injured/killed has been a complete waste in Civil War II.

Bah, fuck shitty Marvel events.

Messi

I haven't read Hellcat yet but I don't think all ages and non-simplistic need be orthogonal. e.g., Gotham Academy.

To me Gotham Academy is more of of a teen and up book rather than all ages. I do agree with what your saying though.

Essentially this. I look at GA as a teen book, I look at Hellcat as a kids book. I think Hellcat is written the way it is very intentionally.

Probably the best Batwoman story there is.

I would agree but then again there is that story where Batwoman has a lesbian vampire girlfriend or the one where she goes to space with ragman.

What has Dan Slott written of note outside of Spidey and Silver Surfer? I really like his stuff.

He gave us this little bit of joy:
MA1-1.jpg

And his Batman Adventures run was cool.

only the GOAT superhero can truly weather so many bad stories and mediocre eras and issues where he fights Rocket Racer AND the Big Wheel

ASM183Cover.jpg

to be fair, top 10 Spider-Man stories

1. "To Have and to Hold" Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1
2. "Unscheduled Stop" Amazing Spider-Man #578-579
3. "Spider-Island" Amazing Spider-Man #666-673
4. "Coming Home" Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35
5. The Long Goodbye Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79
6. "Confessions" Ultimate Spider-Man #13
7. “I’m With Stupid,” Spider-Man/Human Torch #1-5
8. "Paparazzi" Amazing Spider-man #559-561
9. "Harry Osborn Goblin Saga" Spectacular Spider-Man #178-184, 189-190, 199-200
10. The Death of Jean DeWolff” Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110

SensationalAnnual1_07-655x1024.jpg

Great list. That's my favourite issue of Ultimate as well.

Kate Leth's Hellcat seems excessively...millennial. I am a grumpy old man.

I'm pretty sure Kate Leth invented the millennial.

Now that I think about it, Kathryn Immonen would be great for a She-Hulk ongoing. She did that She-Hulk team-up in Avenging Spider-Man that was really good.

Is she writing anything right now? Really doesn't get enough work. It's been too long since the Sif run.

I would agree but then again there is that story where Batwoman has a lesbian vampire girlfriend or the one where she goes to space with ragman.

Those sound like awesome stories when you describe them like that. But all of us who've actually read it know the awful truth.

kmfdmpig

Batwoman Elegy is REALLY good! I'm three issues in. The tone I lighter than I thought it would be which I like. JH Williams at the TOP of his game here.

That's a great read and the art is incredible. It's a shame that the Nu52 series was not able to duplicate the quality of Elegy (at least in my opinion as the supernatural horror stories didn't work for me).

Messi

That's a great read and the art is incredible. It's a shame that the Nu52 series was not able to duplicate the quality of Elegy (at least in my opinion as the supernatural horror stories didn't work for me).

I really liked it until DiDio ruined it and then it was a very steep decline/

I just had a sudden reminder today that DeMatteis fucked up Justice League Dark so bad and it made me so sad.
Shame. That book feels like it's really building something. Or was. This arc has been much slower, so that's a bummer, but I feel like the payoff will be huge. Uncanny is the better book, though.

And leave it to ComicGAF to make me feel bad for having the Inhumans as one of my favorite comic properties.

I have it, I read the first issue and... the art didn't click at all and it just didn't feel like Jen. or at the very least current Jen.
I'd imagine a lot of things don't feel like current Jen right now.
only the GOAT superhero can truly weather so many bad stories and mediocre eras and issues where he fights Rocket Racer AND the Big Wheel

ASM183Cover.jpg

to be fair, top 10 Spider-Man stories

1. "To Have and to Hold" Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1
2. "Unscheduled Stop" Amazing Spider-Man #578-579
3. "Spider-Island" Amazing Spider-Man #666-673
4. "Coming Home" Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35
5. The Long Goodbye Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79
6. "Confessions" Ultimate Spider-Man #13
7. “I’m With Stupid,” Spider-Man/Human Torch #1-5
8. "Paparazzi" Amazing Spider-man #559-561
9. "Harry Osborn Goblin Saga" Spectacular Spider-Man #178-184, 189-190, 199-200
10. The Death of Jean DeWolff” Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110

SensationalAnnual1_07-655x1024.jpg
Honorable mention for Kraven's Last Hunt. I just love that story, personally.
He gave us this little bit of joy:

And his Batman Adventures run was cool.
Reading through a chunk of his Mighty Avengers run right now, which covers all of The Unspoken stuff in regards to Inhumans. It's pretty enjoyable. Fucking USAgent though.

mreddie

Here's what's stupid about it, Leth could have ignored She Hulk getting Bendised and like Squirrel Girl, just set it earlier in the timeline. A-Force is doing that right now but obliviously it too is tying in.

New Avengers is going have a lot of tie ins and SG is involved but she is doing everything on her own in her own book, they barely mentioned her and the New Avengers in the last issue.

So either Marvel forced the tie in to help the numbers or Leth is playing us like fiddles.

Here's what's stupid about it, Leth could have ignored She Hulk getting Bendised and like Squirrel Girl, just set it earlier in the timeline. A-Force is doing that right now but obliviously it too is tying in.

I don't know if Marvel would have been very happy about that, and I'm sure Leth enjoys getting paid.

mreddie

I don't know if Marvel would have been very happy about that, and I'm sure Leth enjoys getting paid.

So Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl get off scot free but not Hellcat? I call bullshit.

Oh and that io9 interview, wow Bendis, even when the sacrifice makes sense, you don't know how to explain it.

Messi

New Avengers is going have a lot of tie ins and SG is involved but she is doing everything on her own in her own book, they barely mentioned her and the New Avengers in the last issue.

So either Marvel forced the tie in to help the numbers or Leth is playing us like fiddles.

Why would Leth play us? She is already trying to tell her own story and use Patsy's friends. She gains nothing by playing to her fanbase that already reads the book. We only know about her not being happy about it because Kate Leth lives very much with her heart on her sleeve and talks about alot of stuff on twitter.

She can't ignore what is happening in Civil War as they have damaged/killed one of her main characters. If someone came along and shot tippy toe I would expect Squirrel Girl to deal with it.

mreddie

Why would Leth play us? She is already trying to tell her own story and use Patsy's friends. She gains nothing by playing to her fanbase that already reads the book. We only know about her not being happy about it because Kate Leth lives very much with her heart on her sleeve and talks about alot of stuff on twitter.

I hate being cynical about this because I like Hellcat but she could have ignored the Civil War 2 stuff.

EDIT: She favorited my tweet with a Bendis dig, I will say no more.

Messi

I hate being cynical about this because I like Hellcat but she could have ignored the Civil War 2 stuff.

She could ignore an event where they kill She Hulk and continue having her in the book?You really think marvel would be ok with that?

I don't think Kate Leth gets to shit where she eats on her first marvel book. Its the whole teams first marvel book. They kinda have to tow the line.

mreddie

She could ignore an event where they kill She Hulk and continue having her in the book?You really think marvel would be ok with that?

I don't think Kate Leth gets to shit where she eats on her first marvel book. Its the whole teams first marvel book. They kinda have to tow the line.

So her team tows the line while the Unbeatable team can go and brush it off?

Maybe Jen will come back when the dust settles since She-Hulk is in a coma but this feels off to me. Silk should have gotten a CW2 tie in but it ain't. Punisher ain't.

Feels messed up.

Owzers

My wrist hurts from playing Overwatch, sometimes i get too into it and i tense up. I never get hurt reading comics outside of the shame, though not $4.99 Civil War 2 shame.

Messi

So her team tows the line while the Unbeatable team can go and brush it off?

Maybe Jen will come back when the dust settles since She-Hulk is in a coma but this feels off to me. Silk should have gotten a CW2 tie in but it ain't. Punisher ain't.

Feels messed up.

I 100% feel like the tie in is happening to boost sales. Same reason Jessica Jones is in the most recent issue. Punisher and Silk don't need help and Silk is just coming off a crossover and Punisher just began.

I think Squirrel Girl gets leeway because it is selling very well digitally and in trade and I am sure Marvel don't want to fuck with whatever market they have stumbled on with that book. It also just finished the Howard crossover.

mreddie

I 100% feel like the tie in is happening to boost sales. Same reason Jessica Jones is in the most recent issue. Punisher and Silk don't need help and Silk is just coming off a crossover and Punisher just began.

And yet Spider Woman only has 1 issue between her tie ins to 2 events. Fuck, Spider Woman is a tie in magnet as well.

That book is great but it is dead in the water, just like Hellcat.

I concur. Super-fun book. I'm getting so tired of crossovers and events though. It's a big reason I like Image and Dark Horse. They keep that shit to a minimum. They barely have any series that have the capacity to crossover.

VanWinkle

I hate a bunch of crossovers and tie-ins. DC is pretty bad about it, but Marvel SEEMS (I don't have as much knowledge of them) way worse.

Top Bottom