• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. After I finish the 3rd library edition of the Goon, I've decided that I want to get back to the other 5 Hellboy library editions that are yet unread. After that, I think I'm interested in reading BPRD. Now my question is - How do I read BPRD in as few trades as possible? I understand some books are more condensed trades than just the regular 130-page deals. But there are so many it's a bit confusing.

VanWinkle

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. After I finish the 3rd library edition of the Goon, I've decided that I want to get back to the other 5 Hellboy library editions that are yet unread. After that, I think I'm interested in reading BPRD. Now my question is - How do I read BPRD in as few trades as possible? I understand some books are more condensed trades than just the regular 130-page deals. But there are so many it's a bit confusing.

Is there more stuff beyond the four Plague of Frogs trades/hardcovers and the 1946-1948 hardcover?

For BPRD, stick to the big books: Plague of Frogs 1-4 and 1946-1948.

Hell on Earth is still ongoing but it'll be collected into big books once it's done IIRC. Vampire and Being Human are the only regular trades not included in the bigger releases. I haven't read them myself.

You'll probably also want to check out the Hellboy and The BPRD 1950s stuff as well. 1953 was a single trade and 1954 will be as well. They're prequel stuff and pretty self-contained. They can be read whenever.

For BPRD, stick to the big books: Plague of Frogs 1-4 and 1946-1948.

Hell on Earth is still ongoing but it'll be collected into big books once it's done IIRC. Vampire and Being Human are the only regular trades not included in the bigger releases. I haven't read them myself.

You'll probably also want to check out the Hellboy and The BPRD 1950s stuff as well. 1953 was a single trade and 1954 will be as well. They're prequel stuff and pretty self-contained. They can be read whenever.

Thanks! It'll probably still be a while before I get to it since I still have the vast majority of Hellboy + Hellboy in Hell to read first.

Mighty No. 6.9

God...Why did I pledge?

NO REGERTS

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've gotta say I'm not really feeling Drifter after the first arc. It's certainly not a bad book but something just feel off about it. It has one more arc to really hook me.

Marvel is trying so hard with this, but we all know Inhumans will never have the pop-culture presence that the X-Men do.

I just tested your theory out on my wife, who loves the X-Men but is otherwise indifferent regarding comic properties.

"Honey, what's your take on the whole Inhumans versus X-Men thing?"

"Un-humans? Who are they? Like zombies?"

Checks out.

Sandfox

Inhumans have basically just replaced mutants as the generic power origin, but some people are bitter and think that automatically makes the character bad or unappealing. I've seen some crazy things online lol.

Inhumans have basically just replaced mutants as the generic power origin, but some people are bitter and think that automatically makes the character bad or unappealing. I've seen some crazy things online lol.

Or more likely, we recognize it for what it is: intellectual property wars dictating a company's marketing push toward a certain direction. If Disney owned the mutant movie rights, we'd never have multiple Inhumans books coming out.

Sandfox

Or more likely, we recognize it for what it is: intellectual property wars dictating a company's marketing push toward a certain direction. If Disney owned the mutant movie rights, we'd never have multiple Inhumans books coming out.
I wasn't talking about your posts lol.

Priest's Black Panther run has been pretty good so far. But damn, it's sooooo wordy.
The art is garbage, particularly the coloring. People talk about the early 90s as being the worst era of American comic book art, but I'll gladly take Rob Liefeld over that dark, dull, muddy crap that was going on in the late 90s/early 2000s.

The sad thing is that even as art improved again, we're still stuck with some forms of the terrible coloring from that time.

The art is garbage, particularly the coloring. People talk about the early 90s as being the worst era of American comic book art, but I'll gladly take Rob Liefeld over that dark, dull, muddy crap that was going on in the late 90s/early 2000s.

The sad thing is that even as art improved again, we're still stuck with some forms of the terrible coloring from that time.

I agree. I hate the art as well, but I just chalked it up to being a product of its time.

LIVE SPORTS SPOILER!

This video summarizes tonight's game. Greatest of All Time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKWGuWhOCA
My favorite piece on messi

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Old now but the point is made

Edit: this quote is so great
'In other words, if Barca-Messi and Argentina-Messi were two different people, even based solely on the stats recorded since 2010, there’s a good chance they’d be the two best players in the world.'

I wasn't talking about your posts lol.

I got you. I'm just saying, it's a pretty transparent move by Disney and people aren't buying it. I actually really like the Blackagar Boltagon led team in Uncanny Inhumans. But most people aren't going to want to see his story over a good X-Men movie.

My favorite piece on messi

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Old now but the point is made

Yep, I read that before. He passed Batistuta, nicknamed Batigol, as Argentina's all time leading scorer. He's not quite 29, so I have a feeling this record will grow quite a bit in the coming years.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know, I liked to make fun of Mighty Nr. 9 because it was ridicolus how defensiv the fanbase always went, but now not even I want to be express schadensfreude about that disaster.

Sandfox

I got you. I'm just saying, it's a pretty transparent move by Disney and people aren't buying it. I actually really like the Blackagar Boltagon led team in Uncanny Inhumans. But most people aren't going to want to see his story over a good X-Men movie.

Unfortunately those don't exist.

VanWinkle

I'm looking forward to all of these. Help me decide which I should read next.

rsz_dscn0369.jpg

Finished Batwoman Elegy and was really fantastic stuff.

Owzers

I liked X2 a lot until it got more into Striker's son and Charles being forced to do things. I can't really watch any of the x-men movies anymore though, i give the first two ten minutes on occasion when they're on tv then bail out.

rsz_dscn0369.jpg

2nd half of Thor: God of Thunder's Godbomb > or = Winter Soldier > Waid daredevil with Khoi pham fill-ins and that Omega Effect crossover

You dont need to read Inhuman

Rebirth comics up. The art in The Flash #1 ranges from okay to absolute garbage. Mainly the latter. Very disappointed with the bodies and faces on several pages.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

rsz_dscn0369.jpg

Thor has been pretty boss. I'm 11 issues in. Daredevil's good too, but really picks up when the art stabilizes.

Rebirth comics up. The art in The Flash #1 ranges from okay to absolute garbage. Mainly the latter. Very disappointed with the bodies and faces on several pages.

Mostly agreed. It was real rough and not in the good way.

Black Panther #15 by Priest

The whole exchange between Hulk and the new Dora Milaje chick was unexpectedly amazing. I was expecting a Hulk fight but I got something much better out of it.

Uncanny X-Men #8
Amazing how Lashley elevates this book from mediocre to decent. All it took was an art change to make this book not boring. I'm confused, though, since
Warren shouldn't have Apoc DNA in him, due to the Life Seed purging his system completely. So completely, that it tabula rasa'd him. I'd enjoy this plot more if it made any damn sense.

Civil War II #2
Fuck everything about this entire issue

Top Bottom