• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

LowRoller

Just finished Dark Night: A True Batman Story and it's amazing and might just be one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. The way paul dini uses batman as a symbol to tell his personal story is brilliant, and as someone who grew up watching batman the animated series this makes me appreciate it and the man behind it even more.

Some parts of the comic bought out emotions in me that I didn't think were possible for a comic book to bring out. When paul was talking about going through depression and talking to batman I was right there with him, when the joker was dragging him down and telling him he was worthless I understood, because I had been to a similar place and know how hard it is pull yourself out. Don't expect a story about batman when you read it, Instead a story about coming to terms with himself and what batman means to a man who created what I think is the best animated show of all time and the best representation of batman. I highly recommend reading it.

Just finished Dark Night: A True Batman Story and it's amazing and might just be one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. The way paul dini uses batman as a symbol to tell his personal story is brilliant, and as someone who grew up watching batman the animated series this makes me appreciate it and the man behind it even more.

Some parts of the comic bought out emotions in me that I didn't think were possible for a comic book to bring out. When paul was talking about going through depression and talking to batman I was right there with him, when the joker was dragging him down and telling him he was worthless I understood, because I had been to a similar place and know how hard it is pull yourself out. Don't expect a story about batman when you read it, Instead a story about coming to terms with himself and what batman means to a man who created what I think is the best animated show of all time and the best representation of batman. I highly recommend reading it.

I bought it on a whim and echo all of this. It might be one of the finest comics, in general, for years. I was blown away. Exceptional work.

Thought I would read a little of The Fifth Beatle before sleep yesterday but couldn't put it down till I finished it. So good, especially at getting across that feeling of loneliness in a crowd. Some great art and colouring too. Only nitpicks being some rather stiff body positions at times that stood out and an ending that felt a little rushed.

Also,
did I read it incorrectly or is Moxie a Tyler Durden type character? I don't recall her interacting with anyone else in the book...

I feel better. I did buy Sandman Mystery Theater though!

Awesome!

Detective Comics and Action Comics were enjoyable.

Wonder Woman #1 is confusing the heck out of me. Will probably drop it if the next issue still is written like I should know a bunch of stuff unlike the other Rebirth comics.

Bummed I have no more Rebirth to read.

DC is genius for setting this up MCU style. All these amazing books about individual characs so when Justice League Rebirth hits its gonna be titanic.

Hitch better come through on this one.

So I finally read the latest Wick+Div and I'm not exactly sure what went down at that big moment. It seemed like a quick way to just breeze over the answer to what happened.

shingi70

Banned
Wonder Woman was enjoyable, but Rucka throwing out all the previous characterization for Steve and Etta is annoying. It feels like only a week or two ago we got Argus power suit Etta in another book.

Hagi

Flash is good? Still haven't picked up the Rebirth issue yet. Decided to skip Civil War in its entirety till it's done, another Marvel event just doesn't sound like something I want to read right now.

Anyone reading Black Road? Was thinking about giving it a go.

El Topo

So I finally read the latest Wick+Div and I'm not exactly sure what went down at that big moment. It seemed like a quick way to just breeze over the answer to what happened.

Do you mean WicDiv #20? I thought it did a great job at tying all things together, although
I really dislike the "You did not actually see it happen" twist.
What exactly is unclear?

Nergal. Lol.

Do you mean WicDiv #20? I thought it did a great job at tying all things together, although
I really dislike the "You did not actually see it happen" twist.
What exactly is unclear?

Nergal. Lol.

I guess my issue is with Ananke. I'm left confused on what she actually saw and knew. Did she know she was still alive and that she actually killed Prince dude?

I'm probably just forgetting some things and making it more confusing than it is. I have horrible memory.

El Topo

I guess my issue is with Ananke. I'm left confused on what she actually saw and knew. Did she know she was still alive and that she actually killed Prince dude?

I'm probably just forgetting some things and making it more confusing than it is. I have horrible memory.

Ananke saw Baal and Inanna appear to successfully save Persephone. She decided to blow up Inanna's head, while Baal managed to escape with Persephone to the underworld. That is also why she told Woden in his issue from Vol. 3 to move the body, as we now know Inanna's body. She knew full well that Persephone was still alive.

Ananke saw Baal and Inanna appear to successfully save Persephone. She decided to blow up Inanna's head, while Baal managed to escape with Persephone to the underworld. That is also why she told Woden in his issue from Vol. 3 to move the body, as we now know Inanna's body. She knew full well that Persephone was still alive.

Ok, stuff about what was said in the past is what I figured I was missing.
Remembering her saying stuff like it's not her and it's a trick and stuff kept sticking out in my mind and I was thinking there might have been more to it.

Li Kao

Really no one who can recommend a good collection for someone who wants to read some Judge Dredd?

Not a recommended book in particular but this could be useful :
http://dreddreviews.blogspot.fr/2012/06/where-to-start-reading-judge-dredd.html
http://mentalfloss.com/article/56737/everything-you-need-get-back-judge-dredd-comics

I tried the catch up game some time ago but got a little burnt out.
I read Complete Archives 1-2, in the middle of 3, plan to read 4-5 and then go straight for America and the other suggested stories.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not a recommended book in particular but this could be useful :
http://dreddreviews.blogspot.fr/2012/06/where-to-start-reading-judge-dredd.html
http://mentalfloss.com/article/56737/everything-you-need-get-back-judge-dredd-comics

I tried the catch up game some time ago but got a little burnt out.
I read Complete Archives 1-2, in the middle of 3, plan to read 4-5 and then go straight for America and the other suggested stories.
Casefile 1 seems like the thing I want, but its oop... :/

El Topo

Remembering her saying stuff like it's not her and it's a trick and stuff kept sticking out in my mind and I was thinking there might have been more to it.

I mean
it is entirely possible that there is more to all this, including Persephone, than we know, but I think that was just Ananke trying to paint Persephone as this big evil that took her form and/or corrupted her.

Rebirth Reviews (spoiler free)

Action Comics #958 - ★★ - It's becoming clear this book is going to favor large-scale action scenes and combat over character development and story. I'm fine with that, but the biggest con is everything ends up feeling rushed. We have no further insight into who some of that characters are or their motivations. Based on the status at the end of this issue, we can probably expect at least one more book without a single piece of explanation and that's a shame.

Detective Comics #935 - ★★★ - Training, yo! A bit of a filler issue, but I'm still in board with the overall direction here. I like the personality differences here, and think it will set things up nicely for the team dynamic for the series. A much better pace at the ending then the beginning, so next book should be great.

The Flash #1 - ★★ - Let's get this out of the way: the art is bad. Really bad. Sometimes it's even terrible. Other times, you might be able to ignore it. But it sucks, and I have no idea WTF DC is doing putting the equivalent of my uncle Steve on pencils. This is a flagship book and the art is worse than most web comics. The story was decent, but we've been down this road a million times with Flash. It's a strange world we live in when I get a more enjoyable Flash experience from the CW than comics, but that's where things sit.

Li Kao

I don't know, I'm OCD so I very much wanted to at least read the first one but the consensus is to start later. There is pleasure to be found in it, there are some good storylines (Dredd's brother I think is in there) but it is very much dated.
The series modus operandi for the first several collections is to have little stories comprised of 2-3 episodes. This results in a certain repetitiveness that can lead to burn out imho. Still I'm glad I read the series debut. It's regularly good and as a piece of comic book history it's certainly enjoyable.
But yeah, dated.
Oh yeah and the first foray into the wasteland in Complete Archives 2 (?), quite a good one.

I don't know, I'm OCD so I very much wanted to at least read the first one but the consensus is to start later. There is pleasure to be found in it, there are some good storylines (Dredd's brother I think is in there) but it is very much dated.
The series modus operandi for the first several collections is to have little stories comprised of 2-3 episodes. This results in a certain repetitiveness that can lead to burn out imho. Still I'm glad I read the series debut. It's regularly good and as a piece of comic book history it's certainly enjoyable.
But yeah, dated.
Oh yeah and the first foray into the wasteland in Complete Archives 2 (?), quite a good one.

I would take Li Kao's suggestion. I tried Casefile 1 from my library, couldn't get through it because of the sameness. Was thinking about jumping in at a later point in the run myself.

The Flash #1 - ★★ - Let's get this out of the way: the art is bad. Really bad. Sometimes it's even terrible. Other times, you might be able to ignore it. But it sucks, and I have no idea WTF DC is doing putting the equivalent of my uncle Steve on pencils. This is a flagship book and the art is worse than most web comics. The story was decent, but we've been down this road a million times with Flash. It's a strange world we live in when I get a more enjoyable Flash experience from the CW than comics, but that's where things sit.

I rilly like DiGimmennadingdang

Messi

Rebirth Reviews (spoiler free)

Action Comics #958 - ★★ - It's becoming clear this book is going to favor large-scale action scenes and combat over character development and story. I'm fine with that, but the biggest con is everything ends up feeling rushed. We have no further insight into who some of that characters are or their motivations. Based on the status at the end of this issue, we can probably expect at least one more book without a single piece of explanation and that's a shame.

Detective Comics #935 - ★★★ - Training, yo! A bit of a filler issue, but I'm still in board with the overall direction here. I like the personality differences here, and think it will set things up nicely for the team dynamic for the series. A much better pace at the ending then the beginning, so next book should be great.

I was going to read these books in 7 months. Please stop spoiling them.

I rilly like DiGimmennadingdang

I can't, Birdie, I can't!

IF39ckE.jpg

I do too, he's like a weird mix of Scott Kolins and Travel Foreman. It's really right up my alley.

I have noticed a bit of a lean on incongruous Google SketchUp backgrounds, but not, like Khari Evans level. I think he works really well for a speedster.

Can we talk about BRAD FUCKIN WALKER though??

Aquaman fucking ROCKED those full page reveals my GOD DAMN

I can't, Birdie, I can't!

IF39ckE.jpg

lmao i literally see nothing wrong with that!

lmao i literally see nothing wrong with that!

I can post more screenshots, but suffice it to say there's zero detail to any of the faces and bodies. Proportions are all over the place, insane jaw lines, and everyone has crazy eyes. It's subjective, but if you think that looks good, I might have a future in comics!

I was going to read these books in 7 months. Please stop spoiling them.

Hopefully a spoiler: we'll have a new artist on the Flash in seven months!

Also, can we talk about how good Eddy Barrows is now?

Also, can we talk about that rad new 52 collection just dropped on CMX?

Let's talk about the GOOD STUFF BEBE

It's tough to post more examples, because I won't use anything that could be a spoiler. Here are two other very generic scenes that hopefully convey how ugly and plain stuff looks. I think both these were available in the previews. I'm using my phone's screen shot function, so they might be tiny.

445z2sf.jpg

CDlfHlE.jpg

Also, can we talk about how good Eddy Barrows is now?

Also, can we talk about that rad new 52 collection just dropped on CMX?

Who and what, Birdie? Are you talking about the Action Comics and Detective stuff?

I didn't buy either Wonder Woman or Aquaman, since I was let down by both Rebirth issues. Are the #1s any good? That $3 trigger point.

:edit: Sorry about the double post.

Who and what, Birdie? Are you talking about the Action Comics and Detective stuff?

I didn't buy either Wonder Woman or Aquaman, since I was let down by both Rebirth issues. Are the #1s any good? That $3 trigger point.

:edit: Sorry about the double post.

Barrows is on Detective.
DC released an updated deluxe edition of 52 with behind the scenes stuff and it's wonderful.

tim1138

Brad Walker did really great work on the Sinestro solo book as well. Going from cosmic to undersea adventures is a pretty smooth transition that will let him keep drawing crazy stuff.

Top Bottom