• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

When did Mignola stop drawing regularly?

Pretty much around 9/11. I think he struggled for a long time with The Island, then he ended up throwing out a book he'd been working on after 9/11 after he felt it was too close to home (featured a sunken NYC, and eventually became Joe Golem). He eventually got the Island out as two issues, cut down from the original plan, then he brought on Fegredo, which was a great move tbf. HB In Hell was supposed to be his big come back dream project that he would write and draw open ended basically indefinitely, and he wrapped it up at #10 to paint for a year. Apparently he's kind of fell out of that too, I'm sure he posted that at some point.

With Mignola, I think he's just the perfect level of anxious/frustrated over his art and so successful he doesn't really have to overcome it to make ends meet and be creative anyway.

(That's all from things he's said himself in the books, or in interviews, apart from my own thought at the bottom)

Pretty much around 9/11. I think he struggled for a long time with The Island, then he ended up throwing out a book he'd been working on after 9/11 after he felt it was too close to home (featured a sunken NYC, and eventually became Joe Golem). He eventually got the Island out as two issues, cut down from the original plan, then he brought on Fegredo, which was a great move tbf. HB In Hell was supposed to be his big come back dream project that he would write and draw open ended basically indefinitely, and he wrapped it up at #10 to paint for a year. Apparently he's kind of fell out of that too, I'm sure he posted that at some point.

With Mignola, I think he's just the perfect level of anxious/frustrated over his art and so successful he doesn't really have to overcome it to make ends meet and be creative anyway.

(That's all from things he's said himself in the books, or in interviews, apart from my own thought at the bottom)

He also mentioned that working on the films took up alot of his time too, which I found rather surprising. Must have been doing lots of design work perhaps.

Messi

He seems to do a shit load of Co writing on the Hellboy stuff. Or is that a case of just having his name still attached to it.

My War Gone By is amazing. The earlier series are a little hard to come by.

Was there more than one? Will grab My War Gone By digitally when I'm finished with this and Alias. It's crazy that Marvel MAX comics actually has decent books cause I do not have fond memories of what I read of Deadpool MAX.

Yes, Fury and then Fury: Peacemaker. Deadpool MAX is a later era MAX comic when they didn't give them the same care and attention as they did in the beginning.

Pretty sure the Imprint is kept alive for Ennis. He's was working on a new Punisher MAX series around the time My War Gone By finished up but there's been little word since.

I forgot about the movies. I think he spent a good deal of time on the first movie, but then he apparently fell out with GDT so who knows.

As far as the co-writing goes, he definitely plays a role in putting together the story and the plot beats but he doesn't put the pen to paper, he hands that stuff off to the other person to script, or to write the novel and so on. The actual Hellboy books, he 100% wrote those and still does for stuff like the recent Into The Silent Sea OGN, but not BPRD, HB & The BPRD and so on. Particularly with the Roberson stuff that came out the last year or so, he said he was extremely hands off with that and pretty much letting Roberson do his thing, Arcudi, doing his exit interview stuff, put it across that he was given a really large degree of autonomy. He would know tentpole moments of where he should be and he would run stuff through Mignola, but Mig would give him a ton of leeway to change what he wanted and would mostly leave character stuff entirely up to him.

Seems like an opportune time to share one of his painting. Can't really argue with his craft when he does go for it:

Image_21.jpg

I forgot about the movies. I think he spent a good deal of time on the first movie, but then he apparently fell out with GDT so who knows.

I just remember in the new edition where Mignola writes a preface about each story, a few mention working on the first film and getting the flu and being quarantined in his hotel room.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
read Wonder Woman Rebirth on the subway this morning

dope, cant wait to dig in more - glad we only have 2 more issues before the run is up too

Savitar

We have one person who wants to be Batgirl in her movie, thoughts.

Barbra?

In an interview with OK Magazine, Chopra admits:

“But my dream part is, now that I’m working in America, I definitely want to do a superhero part. When I think of American movies, they’ve had superheroes for eons right? So I definitely want to play a superhero and I want to have an interesting super power. I don’t know… Batgirl would be so cool!”

Messi

I'm starting to believe that tpb is the superior format. Easier to read, not so bulky and you don't have to worry about sewn binding.

If Bruce is in his mid 40's than this age range would be reasonable for Batgirl.

Thought most the rumors have been them wanting to go with the whole new 52 style and story? Sure if they want to do something new and mix it into something that makes more sense into the lived in Batman continuity, but seems like they're wanting to go younger from the idea of going with the New 52 story.

tim1138

I'm starting to believe that tpb is the superior format. Easier to read, not so bulky and you don't have to worry about sewn binding.

As someone who reads a lot on the bus during my commute to and from work, tpb is my preferred physical format. Much easier to hold while reading then ohc.

Ross61

Thought most the rumors have been them wanting to go with the whole new 52 style and story? Sure if they want to do something new and mix it into something that makes more sense into the lived in Batman continuity, but seems like they're wanting to go younger from the idea of going with the New 52 story.

I feel you can still do a Gail Simone based/parts of type of story in that age range.

Speaking of this Batman continuity in the films. Why the hell was some Jason Todd/Joker theory suddenly so popular on Youtube this past week? That shit was old as hell before Suicide Squad even came out.

Speaking of this Batman continuity in the films. Why the hell was some Jason Todd/Joker theory suddenly so popular on Youtube this past week? That shit was old as hell before Suicide Squad even came out.

My problem is more why people care? We don't know anything, we never find out anything, and if and when we do it won't be like what they had in their heads. Just let easter eggs be easter eggs. Sweet and chocolately but hollow.

My problem is more why people care? We don't know anything, we never find out anything, and if and when we do it won't be like what they had in their heads. Just let easter eggs be easter eggs. Sweet and chocolately but hollow.

When it was first coming around, I felt like it was really people trying to rationalize what they thought was a shitty Joker. Saw so many people trying to explain away the tattoos and how over the top he was and it always seemed to tie in to the Robin wanting to idolize the real Joker or something along those lines.

Not sure why this video is suddenly on Youtube trending though, didn't watch it.

LIST

Babyteeth #1
Giant Days #27
Batman #24
Deathstroke #20
Nightwing #22
Superman #24
Wonder Woman Steve Trevor #1
The Walking Dead #168
Iceman #1
Faith #12
Hawkeye #7

I personally like the top one Ed!

I agree with that

I like the first one better, but the second one is flashier, which makes it more eye catching.

Thanks my dudes.I appreciate the input.
I like the first more, Ed. I think flat coloring suits your style better.
Thanks, is there an artist you think heavy rendering works better for? I was trying to go for somethibg like Nic Klein would do.
Hmmm. It's hard to say, because while I like the first one better overall, it's almost too flat for me. The second one is a little over rendered, at least for my tastes, but it is more eye-catching.

Also, nice pose. Looks good.
Thank you. I might try out an in between haha

So I had amazon store credit so I went ahead and took advantage of that Marvel sale.

Caught up on Miles Morales' original series and also finally purchased Kamala Khan's pre-Secret Wars run. I also went ahead and bought the Vision series since I heard nothing but praise for it.

I just remember in the new edition where Mignola writes a preface about each story, a few mention working on the first film and getting the flu and being quarantined in his hotel room.

He definitely wasn't working on the game anyway. Did anyone here ever play the PS360 game? Terrible. I remember a pretty dreadful looking ps1 game back in the day too, although I never had that.

I would agree, I've found the bigger formats don't fit on my shelf (OHC) or are a bit too bulky to carry around (omnibus). Also I like when you get designs on the spines that carry through the series.

The only problem I've found really is with Marvel where they do a Marvel release of a tpb and a Pannini release of exactly the same tpb (think its just a UK thing). Its confuses me because I sometimes end up with mixed volumes in a run by mistake and then they have different spine designs and covers, which is just shelf torture to see. Its even worse as if you try to just stick with one publisher version you can't because some series you can only get Pannini releases for. My (Jason Aaron) Thor run is a sad to see mix of Pannini and Marvel trades :(

I would agree, I've found the bigger formats don't fit on my shelf (OHC) or are a bit too bulky to carry around (omnibus). Also I like when you get designs on the spines that carry through the series.

The only problem I've found really is with Marvel where they do a Marvel release of a tpb and a Pannini release of exactly the same tpb (think its just a UK thing). Its confuses me because I sometimes end up with mixed volumes in a run by mistake and then they have different spine designs and covers, which is just shelf torture to see. Its even worse as if you try to just stick with one publisher version you can't because some series you can only get Pannini releases for. My (Jason Aaron) Thor run is a sad to see mix of Pannini and Marvel trades :(

I can never really understand why they do both either. All of my Marvel trades are the Panini versions except Ultimate Spider-Man as I don't think they did them back then.

Managed to catch up with another agents of shield ep over the weekend, still a few episodes left on normal tv over here to go (and I'm too lazy to get by nefarious mens), but I've been really suprised how good the second half of this series has been.

I would never say its has too bad episodes but every series seems to go from average to great in the same series.

First season - first half average, second half really good
Second Season - first half really good, second half average
Third Season - first half really good, second half average
Fourth Season - first half average, second half really good

I can never really understand why they do both either. All of my Marvel trades are the Panini versions except Ultimate Spider-Man as I don't think they did them back then.

Yeah I don't know. I'm guessing Pannini must have some kind of rights over here that includes the newsagent monthly comics (essental xmen, mighty world of marvel, deadpool unleashed etc) they've done for years. Then maybe the Marvel ones that come out are the american imported versions.

I've found myself whenever I start a Marvel series in tpbs now looking for all the different versions on Amazon and seeing if theres one company I can get all the trades with so they stay in the same format throughout. Got to try and be a careful shopper.

It adds to the confusion as I'm sure Pannini misses some issues sometime. In the last trade of Thor god of thunder they didn't actually include the last oversized end of series issue, I had to buy the single issue afterwards. If I hadn't have looked it up I wouldn't even have realised.

The panini published trades thing is so annoying lol it's the first thing I always check when I go to buy a marvel trade, I avoid them like the plague. Funny thing is they are usually slightly cheaper but they only do some series and my shelf wouldn't survive that mismatch haha.

So I picked up Dan Slott's She-Hulk and Soule's Daredevil in that sale. I hopefully have some good reading ahead of me.

Is Peter David's run on She Hulk worth it?

stn

Reading lately:

Kill Or Be Killed - its AMAZING. Highly recommended!!! Wish it was released weekly.

Wonder Woman (Rebirth) - why not, right? Its good so far, just started.

The Darkness - also highly recommended.

Top Bottom