• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

skybald

First pulls of the month!

All New Guardians of the Galaxy #3

Extremity #4
Extremity having just 3 issues left is destroying me. This book is amazing.

Flintstones #12
I need to catch up on Flintstones, but unless the last few have a steep drop in quality, I will miss this book and its universe immensely.

The Walking Dead #168
I have enjoyed the latest arc way more than the war with Negan. However, I think we needed the Negan War to set up the person
Negan
is becoming.

I saw that but know nothing about it.

That's real...

Looks pretty interesting.

Only us olds know about Too Much Coffee Man. It's the perfect comic for our modern times.

tmcm040112.gif

Bii

Had a Marvel Unlimited 1-month code I never redeemed since 2014. Still works. Guess I can pass on most of the Marvel Amazon sale.

Watched Wonder Woman today and it was fantastic.

Voror

I'm most interested in the Watchmen aspects, and how it all ties together. Is there like a certain set of books I should look into? I've basically kept myself out of DC side from Black Canary

I'm not really sure on that aspect, though I know there is currently an event called The Button with I believe Batman and Flash investigating it.

mreddie

Went to San Diego, opted to take in the views and leave the GAF behind for the weekend, what I miss?

What's wrong with this animation?
I can not put my finger on it.

dxfJfvK.gif

VanWinkle

I'm most interested in the Watchmen aspects, and how it all ties together. Is there like a certain set of books I should look into? I've basically kept myself out of DC side from Black Canary

Man, I've got to ask just because it seems so bizarre to me. Why, of all DC books, Black Canary? Just seems so oddly random for that to be your one solitary DC book, lol. Not that it was terrible or anything, mind you.

VanWinkle

What is the single greatest comic story you all have read? Big stories count, too, like Planetary, which told one story throughout its entire run. Just try to not do ones that have threads that connect by the end but mostly tell a bunch of different arcs. And you don't have to write about it or anything; you can just say what your favorite is.

Mine is DC: The New Frontier. Nothing gives a better, more all-encompassing, or beautiful demonstration of what makes comics so great. It feels sprawling and epic but still tells very personal stories of Hal Jordan's long road to becoming GL, J'onn J'onzz learning to fit in and see the worth of this world, and many others. It so perfectly captures the feel of the times in which it took place.

Beyond all that, for a story that tells of the transition between the golden age and the silver age, NOBODY can bridge those aesthetics as well as Darwyn Cooke. And those cinematic three-panel pages were just brilliant, and, again, perfect for what Cooke was trying to accomplish.

So, yeah. To me, it's the best single comic story I've ever read.

20160516_085409.jpg

Favorite story is kind of hard to narrow down really. First one to come to mind was FACE by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo though. It's a oneshot they published under Vertigo and it is easily the best suspense comic I've ever read. It accomplishes so much tension and fear in one issue that it's kind of crazy. Super gripping read and truly horrific throughout. Kept me on the edge of my seat which isn't really something that happens for comics.
You Are Here is probably my favorite Graphic Novel overall, so that's another one I'd throw out. It's like the perfect Romantic Comedy with how it's paced and presented. Kyle Baker's art is beautiful and I love how the panels are laid out. Baker presents the story using panels with captions below and when you combine that with the coloring used, it feels like the best movie you've never seen

I could easily list off some of my favorite arcs from long-running books like BPRD, Doom Patrol, etc. but that feels like cheating to me so I'm just sticking with standalone works.

VanWinkle

Favorite story is kind of hard to narrow down really. First one to come to mind was FACE by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo though. It's a oneshot they published under Vertigo and it is easily the best suspense comic I've ever read. It accomplishes so much tension and fear in one issue that it's kind of crazy. Super gripping read and truly horrific throughout. Kept me on the edge of my seat which isn't really something that happens for comics..

Man, even those two panels made me feel super uneasy.

Awesome choices.

Vic_Viper

Finally got my Unworthy Thor tpb on my comixology account from the Amazon sale.

When do I read the Unworthy Thor trade? Currently going through Thor God of Thunder so I havent hit Jane thor yet. Do I read Unworthy after the first Jane thor book? Basically starting Unworthy and the Jane Thor books after Secret Wars ended and ANAD starts.

Wanderer5

Gotta arrange a reading list heh. Aiming to finish up Legend of Wonder Woman before seeing the movie on Wednesday, and then probably go into Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

frye

Miracleman's supposed to be good right? Got it all digitally since it never goes on sale and it's crazy cheap on Amazon.

Yeah it's good. Some of the "shocking" scenes are a bit dated because it's one of those comics that's been copied to death but it's a lot more than what it seems at first and the third and final arc goes to places that no other superhero comic has gone since. It's a little verbose at times because it's Moore but because it's Moore at least the prose is actually readable.

You liked Zenith, right? Miracleman is where half of Zenith comes from so it's definitely worth a read imo

Waiting for the second Perez WW Omnibus to drop to around 70 bucks is going to be a pain in the ass... but I ain't spending 100 bucks for 500 pages.

What is the single greatest comic story you all have read?
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday

Code:
[img]http://68.media.tumblr.com/b632aeee0e48a09e333a8ed3f7c2b495/tumblr_mf73d6YQha1qckhu1o1_500.jpg[/img]

I'd do a bigger write-up, but that'll cover for now.

That's welcome news. I know there are a few series he does, is it okay to read them all separately? It's a lot of money to catch up if I don't catch a sale.

Yep, that's totally fine.You can literally just read Hellboy beginning to end and not worry about any of the other series. Most of them lean on the same lore and exist in the same world, but they do very much stand apart, there's no traditional crossovers as such that require reading Hellboy 23 then BPRD 6 then back to HB or anything like that. There's one of two simple rules like you wouldn't want to start BPRD before volume 6 of HB orrr you wouldn't want to start the recent series of Abe until a certain point in BPRD, just because their very setup is based on the status quo of that point in time but again, after that they run entirely on their own uninterrupted by the other books, and by general rule of thumb do not really ever spoil specific events in another book. I think I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 times that there is a reference so explicit it tells you what happened in another series.

I know some of the folks here have followed the Mignolaversity reading order and that can be fun since it's kind of the optimal way of highlighting certain references etc but especially considering the sheer volume of books and cost, you totally don't need to do that. I personally read up until around HB volume 7 before I even considered reading any of the side stuff.

Finally got my Unworthy Thor tpb on my comixology account from the Amazon sale.

When do I read the Unworthy Thor trade? Currently going through Thor God of Thunder so I havent hit Jane thor yet. Do I read Unworthy after the first Jane thor book? Basically starting Unworthy and the Jane Thor books after Secret Wars ended and ANAD starts.

Just keep going, there is a very specific moment in the Jane Thor book that visits Odinson after Secret Wars and that's your jump off point. (EDIT: Just pulled it off the shelf, you want to read after vol. 1 of The Mighty Thor)

I know some of the folks here have followed the Mignolaversity reading order and that can be fun since it's kind of the optimal way of highlighting certain references etc but especially considering the sheer volume of books and cost, you totally don't need to do that.

I really like Scott Allie's sentiment on this, that starting wherever you fancy will give you different twists and revelations.

I really like Scott Allie's sentiment on this, that starting wherever you fancy will give you different twists and revelations.

Totally, I love the ways certain bits of the overall mythology have crept in from the side books like Witchfinder or Sledgehammer into the main books, but it's rarely a case where if you didn't read that side book first or last it'll ruin your experience on either end. It's just like filling in a tapestry, it's honestly the strongest use I've saw on a shared universe in comic form. You might read BPRD and really enjoy the payoff of knowing more about Sledgehammer but vice versa if you've just read BPRD then there's a mystery to discover elsewhere. It's especially great when the connection comes from left field and you weren't expecting x thing from one book to relate to this totally dif thing in another.

Totally, I love the ways certain bits of the overall mythology have crept in from the side books like Witchfinder or Sledgehammer into the main books, but it's rarely a case where if you didn't read that side book first or last it'll ruin your experience on either end. It's just like filling in a tapestry, it's honestly the strongest use I've saw on a shared universe in comic form. You might read BPRD and really enjoy the payoff of knowing more about Sledgehammer but vice versa if you've just read BPRD then there's a mystery to discover elsewhere. It's especially great when the connection comes from left field and you weren't expecting x thing from one book to relate to this totally dif thing in another.

It's fantastic. It's just a shame as right when I'm getting into Mignola's stuff he's wrapping up everything.

Superman #7,#8,#9: I was still pretty ho-hum on v1 overall (some great moments but no real memorable full issues - the eradicator conflict was a bit of a bore) but Tomasi and Gleason are definitely finding their B&R touch again here. #7 was great with Clark trying to take a break at a county fair.
And that "up, up, and away!" line. :D
. #8 and #9 with Captain Storm was a lovely tribute to Cooke. Clark and Krypto tag-teaming to babysit Jon through the fights was adorable.

Miracleman's supposed to be good right? Got it all digitally since it never goes on sale and it's crazy cheap on Amazon.

It's pretty good!

Waiting for the second Perez WW Omnibus to drop to around 70 bucks is going to be a pain in the ass... but I ain't spending 100 bucks for 500 pages.

If you are looking to buy other specific omnibuses in the future, just ask around here. They sometimes go for a >60% discount via amazon pre-orders and 50% off on day one on InStockTrades.

The Perez omnibus will definitely go on sale if you are willing to wait for a bit.

thanks

and is it rebirth -> 1, 2, 3... ?

when does the annual take place?
Yep. WW's rebirth issue sets the arc up. Then every odd issue (1, 3, 5, etc) will tell a tale set in the present day while every even issue (2, 4, 6, etc) will retell her origin story.

Both stories tie up wonderfully in #23 (and Rucka's overall ends in #25) so you're in for a great ride. Annual is a collection of short stories, the first of which takes place in the same time period the even issues occur. I don't really know about the other stories though.

giphy.gif

I strongly recommend reading his first run though. http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...g-rucka-2016/wonder-woman-by-greg-rucka-vol-1

It was the first complete WW run I read when I first got into comics and it cemented her status as my favourite superhero.

It used to be Hawkgirl but she's been paid dust on the comic front. <.<

If you are looking to buy other specific omnibuses in the future, just ask around here. They sometimes go for a >60% discount via amazon pre-orders and 50% off on day one on InStockTrades.

The Perez omnibus will definitely go on sale if you are willing to wait for a bit.
I live in Australia so the shipping rates would be atrocious if I bought anything from IST lol. T-T

As is I currently use bookdepository because it has free (and relatively fast) shipping.

It's fantastic. It's just a shame as right when I'm getting into Mignola's stuff he's wrapping up everything.

Well that's true, he isn't writing much himself these days, but at least you don't have to wait for any of it to drop haha, the wait for The Storm And The Fury was brutal. Plus there's still a whole new run of BPRD to go, kicking off in July with Allie on scripts, and Mike is writing an OGN out this October that looks quite good.

Well that's true, he isn't writing much himself these days, but at least you don't have to wait for any of it to drop haha, the wait for The Storm And The Fury was brutal. Plus there's still a whole new run of BPRD to go, kicking off in July with Allie on scripts, and Mike is writing an OGN out this October that looks quite good.

But even BPRD is heading into it's final cycle right? Granted that'll be a few years though.

I can't imagine having to wait from the beginning to the end of Hellboy!

But even BPRD is heading into it's final cycle right? Granted that'll be a few years though.

I can't imagine having to wait from the beginning to the end of Hellboy!

Right? I probably started them off 8 or 9 years ago now and that seems like a long time, the folks who were there for the whole 23 years, phew. Yea that's right, the new run is scheduled in to run for roughly the same length as Plague Of Frogs & Hell On Earth and that will apparently be the curtain for the modern stories. HoE took around 5 years though at a consistent click so we've got a little while yet.

I hope there's a blow out soon on the new BPRD, it feels a little under the radar but it seems like they're keeping something veiled. Ive tried prodding Scott Allie for details, whether there will be a companion series etc and all hell say is he's afraid to say literally anything about the book yet for fear of spoilers. It feels like #1 is going to have something big.

Flying through Ennis Punisher right now, and this run is just amazing. Never was the biggest Punisher fan but Punisher MAX is like one of the best Marvel comics I've read so far. Was the Nick Fury MAX any good? Thinking about grabbing that when I'm done with this.

Top Bottom