• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Reading lately:

Kill Or Be Killed - its AMAZING. Highly recommended!!! Wish it was released weekly.

Wonder Woman (Rebirth) - why not, right? Its good so far, just started.

The Darkness - also highly recommended.

I'm loving Kill or be Killed, but I think the whole narrator aspect of it is wearing thin on me. The part where it tells you everything that happened, then "Oh yeah, I did it again." rewind to how we got there, then catch up and tell you how I know of these events.

That is just starting to irritate me and I feel it's not really needed every time.

Messi

I am unsure if Harley Quinn is out this week list:

Aquaman #24
Bane Conquest #2
Batman #24
Flintstones #12
Green Arrow #24
Harley Quinn #24
Justice League #22
Nightwind #22
Shade #9
Superman #24
Wonder Woman Steve Trevor #1

Jem The Misfits #5

Paper Girls #15
Reborn #6

Babyteeth #1
Giant Days #27

All New Guardians #3
Amazing Spider-Man #28
Avengers #8
Black Bolt #2
Champions #9
Daredevil #21
Dr Strange #20
Hawkeye #7
Iceman #1
Jessica Jones #9
Nova #7
Rocket #2
Unstoppable Wasp #6
X-Men Gold #6

Harley totally is !!!

Aquaman #24
Bane Conquest #2
Batman #24
Flintstones #12
Green Arrow #24
Harley Quinn #24
Justice League #22
Nightwind #22
Shade #9
Superman #24

Jem The Misfits #5

Paper Girls #15
Reborn #6

Babyteeth #1
Giant Days #27

All New Guardians #3
Amazing Spider-Man #28
Avengers #8
Black Bolt #2
Champions #9
Daredevil #21
Dr Strange #20
Hawkeye #7
Iceman #1
Jessica Jones #9
Nova #7
Rocket #2
Unstoppable Wasp #6
X-Men Gold #6

Harley totally is !!!

Where's Faith?

Malyse

We already have that. It's called Avengers Alliance Tactics.
Oh?
A related game to Marvel: Avengers Alliance was called Marvel: Avengers Alliance Tactics, which Playdom made for Facebook. Launched in June 2014, Tactics took the gameplay mechanics built in the original and applied them to an isometric 3D map, with the player choosing four of their agents or heroes for each mission. The game was shut down on October 22, 2014.

Malyse

We had that then.
Well, ya ain't got it now. Bringing up a game you literally cannot play now is a pretty worthless rebuttal.

----

Patty Jenkins should be in charge of the DCEU, since she's apparently the only person with any damned sense. Also, I want DC to swerve and start pushing female, minority, and female minority lead superhero films. That would be a hilariously amazing turn.
We have one person who wants to be Batgirl in her movie, thoughts.

Barbra?
Author wants a "natural redhead". Suggests Emma Stone, a natural blonde.

I'm loving Kill or be Killed, but I think the whole narrator aspect of it is wearing thin on me. The part where it tells you everything that happened, then "Oh yeah, I did it again." rewind to how we got there, then catch up and tell you how I know of these events.

That is just starting to irritate me and I feel it's not really needed every time.

I'm actually kind of not loving it, and I love most of that these guys do. I didn't like Fatale so much either though, so maybe it's just when they dabble with the weirder stuff, I don't know. I think I like their true crimey/thriller stuff most, like Criminal, Fade Out, Velvet. Kill Or Be Killed is a fine comic, don't get me wrong but I expect to be wowed by a Bru Phillips collab, so just being alright is jarring. I haven't thought about the book once since I read vol 1. This book in particular strikes me as one I'm reading out of habit of buying the team, not because I'm super into it.

I'm actually kind of not loving it, and I love most of that these guys do. I didn't like Fatale so much either though, so maybe it's just when they dabble with the weirder stuff, I don't know. I think I like their true crimey/thriller stuff most, like Criminal, Fade Out, Velvet. Kill Or Be Killed is a fine comic, don't get me wrong but I expect to be wowed by a Bru Phillips collab, so just being alright is jarring. I haven't thought about the book once since I read vol 1. This book in particular strikes me as one I'm reading out of habit of buying the team, not because I'm super into it.

I feel like I may be going in waves with the book. Although I love it now, before two issues ago I wasn't really loving it then that twist got me back on board. This quibble on the narration could be the start of me back on the down swing with it honestly.

A Burnside Batgirl movie directed by Lucia Aniello.
I want nothing to do with Burnside. I can't stand that outfit. If they're going for a darker tone, like the Simone series (which I need to read, if only for Strix), then by god I'm happy with it. Plus it's Joss, so it's not like it'll be too dark. In Joss I trust,

Vic_Viper

Is Velvet any good?

Hell Yea it is! If you like James Bond movies then I highly recommend it! The first tpb should be cheap too since its an Image book, price the same in stores or digitally.

Basically its a mix between 007, Black Widow, and Brubaker's Captain America Winter Soldier arc. Would have been a great Black Widow book actually but its an awesome creator owned title since it doesnt have to rely on decades of backstory. Great art too!

1st tpb is 5.99 on Comixology and collects the first arc with 5 issues. So far the book is completed. Brubaker has talked about returning to it at some point.

https://www.comixology.com/Velvet-Vol-1/digital-comic/112859?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

skybald

Aquaman #24
Bane Conquest #2
Batman #24
Flintstones #12
Green Arrow #24
Harley Quinn #24
Justice League #22
Nightwind #22
Shade #9
Superman #24

Jem The Misfits #5

Paper Girls #15
Reborn #6

Babyteeth #1
Giant Days #27

All New Guardians #3
Amazing Spider-Man #28
Avengers #8
Black Bolt #2
Champions #9
Daredevil #21
Dr Strange #20
Hawkeye #7
Iceman #1
Jessica Jones #9
Nova #7
Rocket #2
Unstoppable Wasp #6
X-Men Gold #6

Harley totally is !!!

Do you use DCBS or pick up at your LCS?

Hmm.

Does anyone know when Marvel release yearly sales data to people at the company? Maybe that's why the sale exist? "We need to be able to show that our digital side has grown this year but it hasn't so let's muddle the numbers with a huge sale"?

VanWinkle

I miss the Secret Six.

We need more villain books, there aren't nearly enough.

I was so let down by the lackluster ending for the original series that I still haven't even read the New 52 stuff. It was an amazing book that deserved a good ending.

VanWinkle

Edit: crap, sorry for the double post.

Thanks, is there an artist you think heavy rendering works better for? I was trying to go for somethibg like Nic Klein would do.

I'm not big into heavy rendering myself, but I do think it suits Brian Bolland. But maybe it's because I've only ever SEEN heavy rendered Bolland art, lol.

I feel like I may be going in waves with the book. Although I love it now, before two issues ago I wasn't really loving it then that twist got me back on board. This quibble on the narration could be the start of me back on the down swing with it honestly.

Yea, I mean the truth is they only usually go a fee volumes with an idea so I'll see it through to judge it as a whole but yea, it's a book. It has some gorgeous art.

I mentioned it in my post before Malyse asked but yea, I really liked Velvet, I thought that was great.

VanWinkle

Wasn't it cut a bit short cause of New 52 coming around at the time?

I have no idea. I didn't start reading comics until 2015, so I don't know what surrounding events may have affected certain books.

Totally possible, but you'd have to think that they would know the book would be ending and try to give it SOME closure.

I miss the Secret Six.

We need more villain books, there aren't nearly enough.
SS is ongoing now, Doom has a solo, and Thunderbolts happened.

We also had Illuminati, but apparently people didn't realize what they wanted was right in front of them the whole time:
Code:
[IMG]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/4901754-illuminati2015001_dc11-0.jpg[/IMG]
I blame all of you. Taken before its time.
I was so let down by the lackluster ending for the original series that I still haven't even read the New 52 stuff. It was an amazing book that deserved a good ending.
Which is why it got a good ending.

SS is ongoing now, Doom has a solo, and Thunderbolts happened.

We also had Illuminati, but apparently people didn't realize what they wanted was right in front of them the whole time:
Code:
[IMG]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/4901754-illuminati2015001_dc11-0.jpg[/IMG]
I blame all of you. Taken before its time.

Why do they call to call it that? The series itself was nothing special.

Vic_Viper

Anyone here use the Drawerboxes long box replacement? It seems like an awesome way to store your floppies but for the price id like to hear some actual feedback regarding the quality.

They were featured in a recent Bleedingcool article, but heres the companies website for those that dont like to give BC clicks lol:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/05/better-way-longbox-drawerboxes-rich-vincent/

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/order/

I stopped buying floppies a few years ago because its such a pain in the ass but this seems like a great fix for collecting.

Also Deathstroke.

Okay, I'm going to need you to explain that. Because I remember being so let down.

Re-reading it now in one swift swoop, the entire book has these characters constantly on the precipice of changing, but they never really do. None of them are sure if they can be hero or villain. They have no idea what they are. Every arc has details about why these people are the way they are, with the world telling them that it doesn't matter how they use these skills, they'll always be villains. And as the series goes on, you see that they're always sitting in the middle, but never progressing. Catman is the best example of this, since he is the most morally conflicted at the beginning, but eventually loses himself. Every member that leaves the group, leaves in a manner that shows that they never progressed. Fiddler is killed for being a failure, Parademon dies as a suicide bomber, Cheshire leaves as a baby-crazy backstabbing villainess, Black Alice leaves as a scared kid, Mad Hatter crazed drug addict. Finally, the group has their final stand as what the world always wanted them to be: supervillains. There is no change, here. Even some of the progress we do see either doesn't matter or ends with them leaving. Sure, Bane becomes a father figure, but he also more and more aggressively takes power and control. He's a conqueror. Sure, Catman becomes a leader. but he aggressively hunts and kills people who tread his territory (lion pride lands or his own child), getting more and more brutal. "Marking" people in brutal ways. And those are probably the two biggest standouts as far as morality goes, aside from Scandal, who really just ends up with another hyper-controlling father figure in her life.

#24 sums it up in one page:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zTTFmZ8.jpg[/IMG]

The bottom line is that at the end of the series, they're going out exactly how the world sees them: as villains. That's who they are. They can't be heroes. They love to talk about change, but they can't bring themselves to do it. The Wild West issue and the Battle for the Cowl tie-in (where Bane, Catman, and Ragdoll go to Gotham) both show that more than any other issues.

Been outta comics for some time but I want to get back in. For DC I mean. Been reading stuff on Marvel using Unlimited, which is amazing. Rebirth is the latest event right? How are the Supes, Batman, and Titans runs? I've been eyeing them on instocktrades bc of the sale.

And any WW Comixology recs?

Top Bottom