• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Sandfox

I'm getting kind of board with how Marvel is so willing to scrap every new idea and run back to nostalgia.
Comic fans don't like change.
Because people hated Not Teh Darkness guy from the get go and wondering why Flash wasn't in the suit. Marvel couldn't put Flash back in the suit because they been there done that so they opted for Eddie.

Then again, Rebirth.

The tease was two weeks after the first issue dropped with art and a tagline. There was even a BC article saying that "sources" told them it would feature the return of Eddie as Venom lol. Some of the stuff Marvel is doing like Venom 150 and double shipping every month for certain books feels like them testing for the rest of the line.

Sandfox

Why the big 2 keep sucking up to them is astounding. Yes I know Marvel wanted to do different but Legacy is one big FORGIVE US FOR ABANDONING YOU!

Because they're the ones primarily buying comics and both companies are doing a poor job expanding the market. The current model is outdated, but neither company is willing to adapt.

Legacy is Marvel realizing that they changed too much too fast in-universe and trying to correct course.

Owzers

Thats what stopped me but even then it's still hard to not want to buy.
I caved on mockingbird and vision. I had read 1-9 of vision on MU and didn't lovvvve it but the first volume was free after buying mocking soooo I'll reread it and then finish it since my MU sub expired a bit ago.

I'm enjoying comics more now that I don't preorder the flops or sub to MU and read trash books like civil war 2 that I can't ignore even when I try not to read things I don't like because they are all right there. I read several issues of deadly class, 22-27ish, great stuff, probably waiting for issue 28 to drop in price but I read the "see what's inside" thing on cmx and I want more...

Back to hellboy next perhaps.

MG310

I read up to Secret Empire #3.

I feel nothing. I'm okay with the concept but Hydra Steve feels like he fell out of Axis.

caliph95

Metallica aside, America is trash.
Heresy+_ed57b3316f260ef7075ea07ab98c3e78.jpg

Country or Comic

The greatest batman villain ever created
tumblr_n9dynrD6S91th8wa2o7_1280.jpg

Not King's Kite Man?

Sometimes it really does feel like all the comicbook villians have been created. It's all [Colour] [Animal]. The [Profession]. The [Noun].

And anyway why would a carpenter wanna make money from criminal enterprise!? MAKE SOME FURNITURE!

Man.
Turns out the reason I haven't gotten any info/invitation from the #EisnerAwards is bc @Marvel hasn't passed it along. I love comics.
If you want to know why comics has a reputation for being insular and unwelcoming to outsiders - cough - I have an idea for a case study.
I love @marvel. That's what makes me sad.
Marvel is terrific. It's truly made up of amazing individuals. But Marvel-the-corp? Yeah. They suck.

To be honest I think Marvel does quite a bit of change with its characters, its problem is being brave and sticking with the changes for the long haul. If you look at some of its characters at the moment, Jane-Thor, Riri Iron Heart, Cho Hulk, Sam Cap etc. You just always get the feeling there a few issues of bad sales away from throwing it all away and changing it all back to the status quo.

Saying that though, there braver than DC in that regard. Rebirth has had some interesting stories, a set direction and is doing well with its smaller story based cross overs, but lets be honest its them bringing back its classic years old characters and starting them over again. How many big changes have happened with them or how many of the big changes from new 52 carried over and not scrapped? Not many

Not King's Kite Man?

Sometimes it really does feel like all the comicbook villians have been created. It's all [Colour] [Animal]. The [Profession]. The [Noun].

And anyway why would a carpenter wanna make money from criminal enterprise!? MAKE SOME FURNITURE!

I don't know, I think I'd find it pretty terrifying fighting the Carpenter. Nail guns, circular saws, varnish thrown in your eyes. The uncomfortable moments where there working in your house when your torn whether to offer them a cup of tea or not and make awkward small talk with them. Forget the Joker, we've found Bats true villian :(

I don't know, I think I'd find it pretty terrifying fighting the Carpenter. Nail guns, circular saws, varnish thrown in your eyes. The uncomfortable moments where there working in your house when your torn whether to offer them a cup of tea or not and make awkward small talk with them. Forget the Joker, we've found Bats true villian :(

Oh that does seem terrible!

I think they should have Condiment King reform and start up a restaurant chain.

dan2026

Not King's Kite Man?

Wasn't The Carpenter instrumental in making a lot of the villain super hideouts?
She kinda cornered the market. Smart business if you ask me.

Monstress #1 was pretty good. Nice world building without needing some character giving you a bunch of exposition about it. I love how integrated the characters are with the background in the art. Does Sana Takeda do the colours too? They are gorgeous.

dan2026

This had to be really confusing for readers at the time:
Not as confusing as the X-men now.

What? Cyclops and Wolverine are dead?
But there is another Cyclops from the past.
And Jean Grey is still dead but she has a younger version too?
And there are 2 Icemen?
And they are both gay now?

Someone let Bendis write comics again?

Sandfox

Not as confusing as the X-men now.

What? Cyclops and Wolverine are dead?
But there is another Cyclops from the past.
And Jean Grey is still dead but she has a younger version too?
And there are 2 Icemen?
And they are both gay now?

I wouldn't really say it's all that confusing currently, especially with Logan and the smaller number of books. The most confusing thing would be the O5, but that's just "young versions of the original X-Men".

Aizo

Banned
I found the My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness manga at the bookstore today and bought it after hearing good things about it from one of you pervs. Probably Aizo. :3
It was me. It ain't pervy, though! It's an autobiographical comic about a Japanese woman who had grappled with depression and came to recognize that she's attracted to women. I never felt there was anything male-gazey or sexualized.
X0l2WK1.png

Aizo

Banned
I don't remember if I posted over the weekend after finishing Criminal. Damn good comic. I really wish I could read more. I guess I'll have to wait. I have lots of other crime fiction comics waiting for me in my collection, luckily! Really looking forward to reading that.

In other news, I bought the first issue of a new Horror manga magazine that started publishing recently. It's called "Scream."
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBH3H9lU0AA_9Yb.jpg[/IMG]
Finished reading it last night. I was actually pretty disappointed by most of the comics within, but I don't regret buying it (it only cost 666 yen before tax)! Always interested to read some unknown Horror writers. One disappointement stems from the fact that the magazine looks to only be publishing two or three times a year, so many of the comics started in this magazine will continue digitally, which is a dumb way to do it.

Positives: I liked two of the comics published within to read more of them when I get the chance. One followed a couple Japanese families riding a cruise ship with a bunch of cannibalistic foreigners. I could feel the xenophobia. It mostly made me laugh. Here's an image. That last panel on that page cracked me up. I'm guessing "Ummm" is supposed to be "Mmm."
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBX7RE5VwAQBRPk.jpg[/IMG]

Finally, an NSFW image (violence, not nudity) of one of the worst comics in the book about an insane teen that gets out of the asylum and starts a murderous revenge rampage on kids who bullied her while wearing a pumpkin mask.

Is Alan Moore's Providence any good?

Haven't read Neonomicon, but after replaying Bloodborne recently I'm interested in some Lovecraft inspired things.

So I decided to do something crazy, especially for in here................I actually read some comics:

Teen Titans Special (Last part of Lazarus contract) - Sorry but this (and pretty much the whole cross over) was pretty rubbish. It was confusing, the story and characters motives/personalities are all over the place and it just seemed to be told to fuel the epilogue parts that there going to run with into the seperate titles. It tried to finish the story with big consequences that are nowhere near earned. Rebirth has had some fun mini cross overs since it started JL vs SS, The Button etc, but this was a dud.

Black Panther 13 - Last issue, the first of the new arc I thought was a bit underwhelming but this was a definite improvement. Starting to build back up again by adding new villians, characters and ideas. Will be interested to see if Coates can handle a story about the gods and religion as well as he did with his first society/politics arc (which was one of his specialities). The only thing I will say is I wish he would stop bringing back old characters from the classic runs, I've no idea who any of these people are ha.

Motor Girl 6 - Now this was the good stuff. Managed to cover so much in a short issue, with comedy (the bit with the guy hiding in the settee was brilliant) then drama and emotion with the flash backs to when Sam was in the war trying to save the child. Also finally got the reveal about the Gorilla and why that form was taken by her mind to deal with her PTSD.

So in short, Titans - Rubbish, Panther - Okay, Motor Girl - Brilliant

skybald

James Stokoe's art for Alien: Dead Orbit is amazing... besides the humans. The mechanical art is so spot on and detailed. Can anyone recommend a similar book, especially a trade paperback? Looking for the art. The story is certainly been there done that in Alien Dead Orbit.

Top Bottom