• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

I totally posted this up last night and got no replies lol :( It's super neat though, pretty cool process. Harbour has done a short interview with Yahoo news too, honestly most of what they're actually saying about this movie really fills me with confidence. It's probably the date that gives me the most pause tbh seems so quick with no cast in place etc yet plus I honestly don't think Hellboy needs a huge budget to work, but it does need it in certain spots so it doesn't look cheesy. GDT's new movie in December then HB next year though, interesting times.

I totally posted this up last night and got no replies lol :( It's super neat though, pretty cool process. Harbour has done a short interview with Yahoo news too, honestly most of what they're actually saying about this movie really fills me with confidence. It's probably the date that gives me the most pause tbh seems so quick with no cast in place etc yet plus I honestly don't think Hellboy needs a huge budget to work, but it does need it in certain spots so it doesn't look cheesy. GDT's new movie in December then HB next year though, interesting times.

I haven't seen the interview yet!

Honestly I don't think there will be a big cast. Maybe only David Harbour as Hellboy and whoever plays the Blood Queen. Doubt we'll see or here from anyone in the BPRD.

Having now read Hellboy I'm curious about when the story takes place and what it'll feature.

You should've made a thread(or asked me to make a thread)! :)

I haven't seen the interview yet!

Honestly I don't think there will be a big cast. Maybe only David Harbour as Hellboy and whoever plays the Blood Queen. Doubt we'll see or here from anyone in the BPRD.

Having now read Hellboy I'm curious about when the story takes place and what it'll feature.

Totally, if you think about Darkness Calls, after he returns from the island, the cast is super tight. That's the intro into the whole Nimue stuff and even though it skips a good deal by starting there, they won't necessarily use everything from vol 1-6, or actually shown the BPRD as you say etc. They can pick and choose what parts of his origin and those volumes they want to reference and use to build what this Hellboy is, and let the audience infer certain things they could cover in the future if the movie is popular and/or does well. Well what did happen with the BPRD, where are those guys now, what happened to Bruttenholm etc.

Hellboy likes to run away from his problems, and Darkness calls is the beginning of all that ending. It's a great journey to get there in the comics, but as a more concise thing that hte movies will have to be, it's not a bad thing imo to pick up with HB at the end of that middle section having put off dealing with his destiny for a long time, and it all coming to get him.

You should've made a thread(or asked me to make a thread)! :)

Lol, go crazy dude. I don't really look in OT, I get pretty much all my comic chat in here but if it gets more people psyched for the movie!

EDIT: Oh yea, here's the link lol click

Hellboy likes to run away from his problems, and Darkness calls is the beginning of all that ending. It's a great journey to get there in the comics, but as a more concise thing that hte movies will have to be, it's not a bad thing imo to pick up with HB at the end of that middle section having put off dealing with his destiny for a long time, and it all coming to get him.

But Hellboy isn't really part of the Blood Queen rising in the comics. He off becoming King of Britain. So they must be changing stuff up a bit.

But Hellboy isn't really part of the Blood Queen rising in the comics. He off becoming King of Britain. So they must be changing stuff up a bit.

Oh, sure, I just picked that as a random example for how I can see them adapting that part of the mythos for this film, there will no doubt be some changes.

He never really comes face to face with her until *the end*, and I imagine they will want to have their cake and eat it with this movie. Set up potential threads for another, as well as tell a self contained story so they probably will want to add some sort of confrontation between the two for example. Again, just an example lol

I feel like with the title of the movie though you can start to get a general sense of where and when it'll be set, especially if we think the cast and production will be quite small.

I just remembered how much more Mignolaverse stuff I had to read...

After I finish up with the Valiant stuff I have I'm reading Nextwave then I'll get back to it.

New parody page:
tumblr_or6bqlKiOg1uwlmkuo1_1280.jpg

HEY...it's a living!

But I specifically want to know about tacos filled with spaghetti, served alongside coffee.

I've actually tried something close. A Japanese bakery nearby had some sort roll which was noodles in a hot dog bun? It was... interesting.

Edit: Found a pic. Seems to be a fairly standard creation.

HXaeFbw.png

I am going to read Howard Chaykin's new image book so you don't have to.

You're welcome.

So outside American Flagg, what has he written that's actually worth reading?

Batman

Like this issue, but not sure how much of a "aftermath" issue it is other than dealing with Bruce's feelings. On that aspect it's great. What about the Robins? Any more on Bane or what happened after the stuff in Arkham? This was more an epilogue to I am Gotham and then Rooftop/The Button than anything else.

As for the ending. I have a feeling this is used more to show the state Batman is in emotionally and that it won't actually happen. Kind of annoying it got leaked because I feel it made a bigger deal of it than it actually feels.

Deathstroke

Soooooo....This issue is strange. I have some weird issues with this. There are so many weird oddities and small details that are weird that it has to be 100% intentional with how This series usually is with its details.

Superman

People's theories on who Cobb and the girl were was kiiiiiinda close.

Extremity

Kind of a down issue for this series so far, but it did take an interesting turn at the end.

Justice League

Grabbed this because Hey it's not Bryan Bullshit Hitch! Plus I wanted to see how Fontana did before she did a stint on Wonder Woman. The story ended up being better than Hitch, but the dialogue was veeeeeery Saturday morning cartoon special episode level corny. Also didn't give much of a hint of how she'll handle Diana as she probably talks the least of the characters in the story.

Has Hellboy been on sale on Comixology before? I've bee meaning to start reading it since the films came out but never got round to it. The Library Editions seem to be a bit more expensive than they used to be (closer to £30 than £20 now) and though they look great I doubt I'd have the space.

tim1138

I grabbed Justice League on a whim this week because I'd seen it hyped up as a Jessica Cruz centric issue and I wanted to check out Shea Fontana's writing. It was a fun one and done story, Fontana had a nice voice for most of the characters, but especially delivered a great Simon Bad. My only complaint was the art, it wasn't consistent at all, especially with Jessica.

Has Hellboy been on sale on Comixology before? I've bee meaning to start reading it since the films came out but never got round to it. The Library Editions seem to be a bit more expensive than they used to be (closer to £30 than £20 now) and though they look great I doubt I'd have the space.

The only time I remember seeing Hellboy on sale on CMX was when Dark Horse first joined up. Dark Horse doesn't seem to run a lot of sales and when they do it's usually for individual issues, not the entire line. Ironically enough, I bought Hellboy digitally in Kindle format a few years ago when Amazon as having one if their random sales (like the just ended Marvel one), I got all 12 of the original run trades for something like $40 or $50.

Mmm no idea on sales sorry I remember some Abe stuff on sale awhile back but I'm not the best guy to answer on that front. Was more chiming in to say though, I am preeeetty sure the first few volumes are on the CMX unlimited thing, could be worth looking at if you're thinking digital!

Bane

I finished the Archie Mega Man run last night and was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The only parts I didn't like was the Sonic crossovers.

It's a shame it just stops, I assume by now it's never coming back.

skybald

Ooh, ordered at 3 and IST sent out a shipping notice at 8. That was quick!

They probably didn't have a lot of orders coming through considering the insane Amazon sale going on

On that note, I will be getting my first DCBS order at the end of July. So I am real excited to see if the service is all it is cracked up to be.

IST's inventory is just nuts and I don't even want to start going down that rabbit hole.

ElNarez

Banned
god I hate what I'm about to type but

Iceman is another America

it's a bust, pals, a sad, gay, overwritten, beyond cliché bust

Too bad Magnus was good
They are trying an event probably to bring new readers

Yeah, I started reading it last night. The book is actually good. They triple-shipped the #0 issue (which was like $1 and they encouraged shops to give some away for free) and gave a discount on the #1. The marketing is there and all, but man, I feel like they're not getting the success these characters could be getting elsewhere. At this point, it feels like why bother?

That said, I'll be happy if they keep up this level of quality for a few miniseries because giving up and rebooting again. They're teasing that there's something interesting about the dissonance between the Sovereigns event book (which has the classic takes on the characters) and the solo series (which has different takes on the character, like Magnus being a woman and Turok being a black male).

ElNarez

Banned
So he's not written any better than he is in the X-Men Blue book?

It's worse, kinda. It belabors its points like we're too dumb to understand, and it contrives its lines on a perpetual quest of the tumblr photoset-worthy bon mot. This book doesn't feel like it was written by or for humans. The art is kinda wobbly and I'd rather get my legs cut off than read another story where
a gay man hasn't come out to his parents yet leading to wacky hijinks, oh hey here's One purifier, how's that for fucking stakes

Marvel is putting some of their more recent stuff on Comixology Unlimited REALLY fast. Weapon X #1 is already on there and so is Iron Fist #2.

Marvel is putting some of their more recent stuff on Comixology Unlimited REALLY fast. Weapon X #1 is already on there and so is Iron Fist #2.

The #1's are being put up fast so people can try them out and pick up them month-to-month, I think, but Iron Fist #2 is definitely noteworthy.

Iceman might be bad but marvel hasn't had any problem promoting bad comics before.

I do wonder if grabbing YA writers with little comics experience will end up hurting Marvel.

dan2026

That's the problem with Marvel and gay characters these days.

They can't seem to write them as anything other than 'look at me I'm gay!', 'have I told you yet how gay I am!'. We have gay characters! Look! Look!

Not a hint of subtlety. A superhero being gay shouldn't usually be the focus of the stories in the same way a superhero being straight isn't.

They can't seem to write them as anything other than 'look at me I'm gay!', 'have I told you yet how gay I am!'. We have gay characters! Look! Look!

Not a hint of subtlety. A superhero being gay shouldn't usually be the focus of the stories in the same way a superhero being straight isn't.

Unfortunately you then get people complaining that these characters aren't gay enough.

ElNarez

Banned

Ideally, you're right, it's not that big of a deal. But we live in a world where people still want gay people dead, so, fuck that? For a good chunk of LGBT+ people, simply being is a radical act in and of itself, and ingoring that reality reads as clueless at best and hypocritical at worst. Loud gayness isn't the problem. And I can demonstrate that by pointing at DC's recent Midnighter series, which was dealing with all of that shit while also having some of the best action sequences in modern comic books.

The Ray one shot DC did before JLA, also written by Orlando, also dealt with those ideas, in fact it was very much the kind of coming-out parable that's been kinda done to death, but it was done so well that it made the comic a beautiful and special thing.

The real problem is that you put inexperienced writers with B-List artists (and that's not an attack on Joe Quinones, because I can count the number of pages he did on America after #1 on my fingers), in books where they have no time to find what works because your lack of marketing dooms them to a 6-to-8 issues run.

dan2026

Ideally, you're right, it's not that big of a deal. But we live in a world where people still want gay people dead, so, fuck that? For a good chunk of LGBT+ people, simply being is a radical act in and of itself, and ingoring that reality reads as clueless at best and hypocritical at worst. Loud gayness isn't the problem. And I can demonstrate that by pointing at DC's recent Midnighter series, which was dealing with all of that shit while also having some of the best action sequences in modern comic books.

The Ray one shot DC did before JLA, also written by Orlando, also dealt with those ideas, in fact it was very much the kind of coming-out parable that's been kinda done to death, but it was done so well that it made the comic a beautiful and special thing.

The real problem is that you put inexperienced writers with B-List artists (and that's not an attack on Joe Quinones, because I can count the number of pages he did on America after #1 on my fingers), in books where they have no time to find what works because your lack of marketing dooms them to a 6-to-8 issues run.
I agree that it is largely down to inexperienced writers.

I do feel like there is a good way and a terrible way to do this.
I remember the original Batwoman series was quite good in this way.
It was quite clear than she was a gay character and it did deal with some gay issues, but it never felt it was beating me over the head with it.

To be honest I feel that these badly written 'gay' comics are actually doing a disservice to gay characters in general. Then you get people saying 'well it's staring a gay character it's probably a badly written mess' or 'it was just made to push an aganda', whether it is true or not.

Essentially bad comics do nobody any favours.

skybald

Yeah, I started reading it last night. The book is actually good. They triple-shipped the #0 issue (which was like $1 and they encouraged shops to give some away for free) and gave a discount on the #1. The marketing is there and all, but man, I feel like they're not getting the success these characters could be getting elsewhere. At this point, it feels like why bother?

That said, I'll be happy if they keep up this level of quality for a few miniseries because giving up and rebooting again. They're teasing that there's something interesting about the dissonance between the Sovereigns event book (which has the classic takes on the characters) and the solo series (which has different takes on the character, like Magnus being a woman and Turok being a black male).

Hmm maybe I should pick this up. I was actually interested in 2 storylines from #0. The art is certainly up to par and enjoyable.

Holy shit, someone just pointed out that if you count all Batman issues from the start #800 is the issue after the War of Jokes and Riddles.
They're totally going to have Selina say yes in it.

Its so annoying they keep doing this, they get bad writers on gay character titles, which makes people avoid them, which then gives Marvel the view that people aren't interested in gay character led titles and that comic fans don't want any diversity from there titles. It's a vicious shitty cycle.

JUST GET GOOD WRITERS AND WE WILL ACTUALLY BUY IT AND READ IT!!!

Doubt it.

Batman will never be allowed to be happy.
Well...
“Everyone’s done vengeance, everyone’s done ‘The night is so dark,’ ” King says. “Giving Batman more pain doesn’t reveal anything about his character because he’s taken as much pain as he can. But giving him love and joy, that combines with the tragedy of his past into something new and never done before.”

Holy shit, someone just pointed out that if you count all Batman issues from the start #800 is the issue after the War of Jokes and Riddles.
They're totally going to have Selina say yes in it.

She'll die on their wedding day. Then come back via the Lazarus Pit, or something.

Top Bottom