• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Reading

n4TGplZl.jpg

it's damn good so far.

The first story is all about Bruce V Batman, and the darkness that has surrounded him since he started doing the whole Batman thing, and how everything he does weights on his conscious. Great stuff.

Second story is pretty much a Parker story with set in Gotham starring Catwoman, which I mean, is there anything cooler than that?

Beautiful art by Darwyn Cooke as wells.

How is the Wonder Woman Azzarello & Finch run?

Seems like it's on sale for a decent price

I love the Azzarello run on the book. I'd highly recommend. I was a total newcomer to the character when reading it, I know some of the long term fans around here aren't too keen, but I enjoyed it like I was reading a creator owned book. Just this great self contained 6 vol run.

i love dc rebirth...

favs are detective comics, suicide squad, red hood and the outlaws, and Deathstroke

Just now getting into Action Comics and Nightwing, thanks to the paperbacks.

Einchy

Yo Donnie, the hell, BPRD: The Devil You Know will be a full on thing like Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth? I thought it was gonna be a mini-series but this wiki says it's a continuation of Hell on Earth, like how HoE was for Plague of Frogs.

[edit]

Looking around and I see this, too, which I didn't know was a thing cus I thought volume 8 was the last one.
UMVnsQf.jpg

Collects the Abe Sapien one-shots #8, #15, #23, #27, and #30 and 'Abe Sapien: Subconscious' from Dark Horse Presents (volume 3) #11.

Doesn't say where the one-shots are from, though. Odd.

Yo Donnie, the hell, BPRD: The Devil You Know will be a full on thing like Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth? I thought it was gonna be a mini-series but this wiki says it's a continuation of Hell on Earth, like how HoE was for Plague of Frogs.

Yea, it's another full thing, 12-15 volumes or something. Devil You Know seems to only be the first arc's name and not the overall cycle's name, which is a secret still. They've been talking for years about the plan being a three cycle thing, but they are remaining extremely guarded on this last one, even a month out of it kicking off. This is the legit thing though, not a spin off like HB & the BPRD or anything. Of course Arcudi bowing out wasn't really part of the plan, but Allie works since the book seems (?) to be merging the BPRD & Abe back together. I asked Allie if there would be a companion book this time around and he told me he couldn't even say that for fear of spoilers lol.

And yea, Abe vol 9 has a bunch of one shots that came out through the dark and terrible run that stood alone, I think Oeming drew one. It loops back into their idea of always wanting their various series to have a multiple of 3 for potential future omnibus. So the first two omnibus will be the full dark and terrible run, and then the last will add the two orginal Abe trades that were a bit more odds and ends (although, I really would recommend folks read The Drowning before the ongoing) and this vol 9.

Einchy

Yea, it's another full thing, 12-15 volumes or something. Devil You Know seems to only be the first arc's name and not the overall cycle's name, which is a secret still. They've been talking for years about the plan being a three cycle thing, but they are remaining extremely guarded on this last one, even a month out of it kicking off. This is the legit thing though, not a spin off like HB & the BPRD or anything. Of course Arcudi bowing out wasn't really part of the plan, but Allie works since the book seems (?) to be merging the BPRD & Abe back together. I asked Allie if there would be a companion book this time around and he told me he couldn't even say that for fear of spoilers lol.

And yea, Abe vol 9 has a bunch of one shots that came out through the dark and terrible run that stood alone. It loops back into their idea of always wanting to have a multiple of 3 for potential future omnibus. So the first two omnibus will be the full dark and terrible run, and then the last will add the two orginal Abe trades that were a bit more odds and ends (although, I relaly would recommend folks read The Drowning before the ongoing) and this vol 9.

Wow, I see, that's insane.

I sure that Hell on Earth was the end, but I guess not, not that that's a bad thing, more BPRD is always a good thing.

And I gotta pick up Abe volume 9 soon then, the way it was worded, kinda made it sound like it was issues from volumes 1-8, or something like that, which seemed odd.

Wow, I see, that's insane.

I was for sure that Hell on Earth was the end, but I guess not, not that that's a bad thing, more BPRD is always a good thing.

And I gotta pick up Abe volume 9 soon then, the way it was worded, kinda made it sound like it was issues from volumes 1-8, or something like that, which seemed odd.

Yea yea, they are. During the actual monthly run, there were one shot issues that dropped that were self contained, so they saved them up for this trade. They are just kind of miscellaneous Abe on his journey stories, not sure if there's a common thread that links them.

That one little interview Allie did made it sound that they are just going to go full on balls to the wall for the word go with this volume so who knows, maybe it'll end up being a little shorter this time, 8-10 volumes or something. HoE would have been a wonderful ending in it's own right, Arcudi really killed it, but I mean
the end of the world and their age is coming, every book has reinforced that, no getting around it. I just can'[t fathom what their ultimate end goal is, what comes after and how they end this world's story.
. Arcudi effectively gave us the happy ending lol

So if I want to read Jack Kirby's Fourth World stuff, what do I need to buy? Is the omnibus too unwieldy?

Fourth World covers assorted issues of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, New Gods, Mister Miracle, and the Forever People. The big omni coming later this year is going to collect all 57 issues and is going to be impossible to read. If you can get the old trades/HCs those will be the easiest way to read.

Fourth World covers assorted issues of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, New Gods, Mister Miracle, and the Forever People. The big omni coming later this year is going to collect all 57 issues and is going to be impossible to read. If you can get the old trades/HCs those will be the easiest way to read.

Is there any convenient way to get this stuff digitally?

Neoxon

It's sad to see the Nova comic go, but at least it ended on a high note. I liked how they gave Richard back his blue Nova Force energy after he got rid of the Cancerverse essence that was stuck in him.

Hopefully we'll see more of Richard in other comics going forward, like the ongoing Guardians series.

Sandfox

It's sad to see the Nova comic go, but at least it ended on a high note. I liked how they gave Richard back his blue Nova Force energy after he got rid of the Cancerverse essence that was stuck in him.

Hopefully we'll see more of Richard in other comics going forward, like the ongoing Guardians series.
Both Novas will be showing up in Guardians and Duggan posted on Reddit yesterday that he just turned in a Nova heavy story for approval.

Sandfox

It looks like the Marvel Legacy one-shot will be releasing in September so we should be getting new info in the next few weeks.

All secret empire statements will be handled by Marvel lawyers now.
They should get lawyers to respond to certain fans. Would be hilarious.

Yeah, it's a touch bigger than the Invisibles Omnibus (~1600 versus ~1500 pages), and while that Invisibles Omni looks fantastic on my shelf, it's *hilariously* unwieldy to actually read. You'd be better off getting the prior collections off Amazon or whatever.

I've actually got one of those "big book holder" things (that hold the book at a 20 degree or so angle and maybe 150 degrees open instead of purely flat) due to a stupid collection of really nice photography books, so I ended up using that to read the Invisibles. So yeah, that Fourth World omnibus is going to look amazing, but be functionally useless...

... I have it pre-ordered anyway.

jackdoe

Yeah, it's a touch bigger than the Invisibles Omnibus (~1600 versus ~1500 pages), and while that Invisibles Omni looks fantastic on my shelf, it's *hilariously* unwieldy to actually read. You'd be better off getting the prior collections off Amazon or whatever.

I've actually got one of those "big book holder" things (that hold the book at a 20 degree or so angle and maybe 150 degrees open instead of purely flat) due to a stupid collection of really nice photography books, so I ended up using that to read the Invisibles. So yeah, that Fourth World omnibus is going to look amazing, but be functionally useless...

... I have it pre-ordered anyway.
Have you tried reading the Big Damn Sin City collection with the big book holder thing? I gave up on trying to read it normally.

Malyse

As long as we all agree that it's not Esther.
Wat.

-----

Deathstroke is completely off the rails. Like, this series is fucking bonkers.

-----

I think when characters' books get canned, they should get a team up option. Like, I would read a Mockingbird, Spider-Woman, Silk book. Rider should go to Guardians, and Sam is in Champions so that's good.

J_Viper

I love the Azzarello run on the book. I'd highly recommend. I was a total newcomer to the character when reading it, I know some of the long term fans around here aren't too keen, but I enjoyed it like I was reading a creator owned book. Just this great self contained 6 vol run.

Azzarello is good as long as you are okay with the dark interpretation of the Amazons but the run itself is good and has great art
I've heard nothing good about Finch's run

Rucka: "What's that?"

I think opinions on that run are mixed.
Thanks fellas

I went ahead and got the full Azzarella run.

Also got that the Finch volumes because the art at least looks great, and that price isn't bad

Have you tried reading the Big Damn Sin City collection with the big book holder thing? I gave up on trying to read it normally.

Nope. I think the biggest book I've had on there (in terms of dimensions, not page count) is the 2009 Philemon full edition of Carl Jung's "Red Book" which has pages that are 12" by 18"; it's about 400 pages, and about 10 pounds. And hey, it's illustrated, so it even sort of fits the topic!

I think my usual "usability" line for omnibuses is Planetary, which feels OK to hold and read. X-statix is over the line and too big, as is Doom Patrol. Invisibles is just silly.

Neoxon

Both Novas will be showing up in Guardians and Duggan posted on Reddit yesterday that he just turned in a Nova heavy story for approval.
Sweet, I guess we'll be seeing more of Richard & Sam sooner than expected. Hopefully they end up being the new Dynamic Duo of the Marvel Universe, especially with how well the two play off of one another.

Einchy

Goddamn, Selina's Big Score was great, I can't believe I didn't know about it until I started reading Ego. Like I said before, it's pretty much a Parker book with Catwomen, and I thought I'd never get to read more Parker goodness.

Darwyn Cooke was so good at writing and illustrating noir stories.

Goddamn, Selina's Big Score was great, I can't believe I didn't know about it until I started reading Ego. Like I said before, it's pretty much a Parker book with Catwomen, and I thought I'd never get to read more Parker goodness.

Darwyn Cooke was so good at writing and illustrating noir stories.
Yeah, he was the best :(

This is a good article on Doom Patrol.

I want this.

Saw Marvel upped the price on Secret Empire.

We're lucky if Legacy is just 5.99 and not 10.

BC: This WicDiv cover is evil.

Not only were they fantastic adaptations, the actual HC editions of Cooke's Parker stuff were gorgeous, genuinely lovely books to hold and have on the shelf.

Top Bottom