• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

PsychBat!

Banned
Cus his comics are shit.

Is this the part where I tell you how I read ASM, and didn't enjoy it, and that's not good enough for you?
Yeah this is the part where you vaguely give me non answers like the last time.

"He's shit"
"His comics are shit"

and that's it

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah this is the part where you vaguely give me non answers like the last time.

"He's shit"
"His comics are shit"

and that's it

I honestly don't know why this pisses you off so much. They all bore me, and I found non of the characters or stories lines interesting, this is what I told you last time, but this is somehow vague for you, not sure why or how. Like am I supposed to list specific moments that were boring or something? I read them, like, 2 years ago so I barely remember them, mostly because they were so bad and they weren't worth remembering, so no, I can't go into a ton of detail. I can't tell you about some character moment that wasn't interesting or some twist that I found cliched or idiotic.

god I hate what I'm about to type but

Iceman is another America

it's a bust, pals, a sad, gay, overwritten, beyond cliché bust
This was my assumption from the beginning. I suppose we'll see how this goes. Bobby was never a very interesting character to me, and anything interesting that does occur is overplayed and poorly done that it becomes uninteresting.
This week's Black Bolt was great. This series is going places, assuming it's not cancelled after 6 issues.
It was never going to last. It's almost assuredly meant to be complimentary to Royals.
Sometimes I feel like y'all like the design of the books better then the actual content of the books
COMICS! |OT| July 2017 We collect them so you don't have to
Does Dick usually have any biological family still alive?
Nope. I haven't read every Dick story, but I can't think of any.

Sou Da

On the hand: Deathstroke remains excellent.

I still can't tell if Priest is actually setting up for Slade to seduce nuPowergirl or if that's me being influenced by fans projecting.

PsychBat!

Banned
I honestly don't know why this pisses you off so much. They all bore me, and I found non of the characters or stories lines interesting, this is what I told you last time, but this is somehow vague for you, not sure why or how. Like am I supposed to list specific moments that were boring or something? I read them, like, 2 years ago so I barely remember them, mostly because they were so bad and they weren't worth remembering, so no, I can't go into a ton of detail.

but... i'm not angry...

:'(

I mean, if we're going off what you're saying now. Well... for example I don't think Iron Man 3 is interesting or entertaining but I can recognize it's a well made movie on a technical level. I'm not looking for specific moments, that's insane. It's vague because these terms you're saying "it's bad" or "it's shit", it comes off as objective without wiggle room for a dialogue to happen.

I don't know man. I guess we're at an impasse, all I wanted to know why you thought it was bad cuz I know you're a good poster and hearing people's opinions on things I find enjoyable is interesting even if I don't agree with it.

Sou Da

Nope. I haven't read every Dick story, but I can't think of any.

I ask because apparently in the Young Justice universe his entire family was in the flying Graysons and his Uncle Rick survived the "accident" but was too damaged to care for him.

There's some really fascinating, tight real-world timeline stuff like the majority of the modern Justice League only starting their careers between 1999-2001 and Wonder Woman being born in 1925, fighting in WW2, and giving up on man's world only to move to America after 9/11 happens.

Finished Lemure's Moon Knight run. Doesn't feel like any meaningful payoff. Meh-/10

Getting real jaded again with comic books:
X-Men Blue is entertaining enough but nothing special yet.

She Hulk is a bit slow.

Cable is too in medias res and jobs to lackies.

The weapon x book suffers in the art

I also noticed Cable #1 didn't address the end of Uncanny Avengers. Any one got any spoilers to cover that gap?

I'm honestly more excited for issues of The Dark Crystal comic than anything Marvel/X-Men related

Speaking of Silk, a friend of mine was at a con:
So a week ago and change I was at a con. I happened to meet Tana Ford, one of the artists that had worked on Silk.

We had a cool talk about comics generally but she also talked about stuff she had wanted to do on Silk. The main one was having Silk be exposed to a symbiote for what that could do with Silk's character arc. I can't remember the exact words all these days later but the idea was for someone like Cindy Moon who has problems with connection after a decade in a bunker, it would seem like the ultimate companionship but turn out to be more like the ultimate isolation?

Something like anyway. It sounded like a really cool idea. With Venomverse coming up, it would have been timely.

She also said that any subtext between Silk and Black Cat was intentional.

I'm not a fan of Spidey nor know that much but him being the head of a corporation always felt wierd to me. I feel like Peter should either be in highschool as a teen or teaching highschool science.

Zombine

Banned
Darth Vader #1 was okay I guess. Very tiny bit of retcon to the "Nooooooooooo" scene in III, but is somehow made more ridiculous with the entire interaction that comes after that in this book. I think we are getting to the point where Marvel/Disney are trying to weave all of the Star Wars media so tightly to the films that we are filling cracks that nobody cares about. This book only mentions kyber crystals because of their importance in Catalyst and Rogue One.

I loved the early 90s spiderman and Xmen cartoons. Those theme tunes <3 sitting in the screening for WW. Managed to get a lunch time screening so there's almost no one else here haha

Darth Vader #1 was okay I guess. Very tiny bit of retcon to the "Nooooooooooo" scene in III, but is somehow made more ridiculous with the entire interaction that comes after that in this book. I think we are getting to the point where Marvel/Disney are trying to weave all of the Star Wars media so tightly to the films that we are filling cracks that nobody cares about. This book only mentions kyber crystals because of their importance in Catalyst and Rogue One.

I wouldn't say it's only down to Rogue One and Catalyst. Lucasfilm have been expanding on kyber crystals for several years now, starting with Ilum in The Clone Wars which was directly from George. Plus, it sounds like they'll have a role in the future too.

I agree that some of the books should try to move away from sticking quite so closely to the films though. I'd like for them to try something different with the main SW book. Perhaps introduce some new characters or try using some existing side characters where they'd have more flexibility. It's one of the reasons why Aphra's the most enjoyable SW book at the moment. I thought the Yoda arc might be a good step in that direction but it was the worst story so far.

Babyteeth

Not sure about this one. I like the idea, but the first issue didn't really grab me.

Black Bolt

The covers for this book may be the highlight of it. Not hating on the book, I just like the covers that much.

Injustice 2

Why did this issue make me so sad?!

Zombine

Banned
I wouldn't say it's only down to Rogue One and Catalyst. Lucasfilm have been expanding on kyber crystals for several years now, starting with Ilum in The Clone Wars which was directly from George. Plus, it sounds like they'll have a role in the future too.

True, but I still can't help but think that they are only a part of this arc because of increased discussion about them over the past year or so. This comic wasn't cooking for that long.

Comics only go from concept to print in about 4-6 months. The whole Crystal thing was prominent in released media when conversations for this book started to develop and the story took shape.

Done with classes! Summer and work here I come!

...Why does it look like there will be a huge rain storm today again? Ugh.

Edit: This is such a nice variant:
xs5stjo4db2zheup8.jpg

That's the impending doom of another five years of Theresa May. Oh wait, that's just us.

Yuuuuup. I expect the UK's nihilistic streak to continue and a clean Tory win, no matter what online polls might indicate :/ Not that I can say much. The scots will vote SNP regardless which doesn't particularly do much for the broader picture.

Went and saw WW today! I loved it, there are so many epic awesome moments, but lots of cute funny nice things too. Young Diana was adorable and you gotta love how determined and strong willed she is from day one. The London stuff was genuinely funny, and just tons of other great stuff as the movie goes on. Just great stuff, and it's hard not to come out of the movie feeling really triumphant and good about things.

I ask because apparently in the Young Justice universe his entire family was in the flying Graysons and his Uncle Rick survived the "accident" but was too damaged to care for him.

There's some really fascinating, tight real-world timeline stuff like the majority of the modern Justice League only starting their careers between 1999-2001 and Wonder Woman being born in 1925, fighting in WW2, and giving up on man's world only to move to America after 9/11 happens.
Wait really? Where are you getting all of this?
Why does Silk still exist, tho?
Cool design and an Asian female superhero. Oh, and she's also a Spider. But quite honestly how she managed a solo for this long is beyond me.

Yuuuuup. I expect the UK's nihilistic streak to continue and a clean Tory win, no matter what online polls might indicate :/ Not that I can say much. The scots will vote SNP regardless which doesn't particularly do much for the broader picture.

Went and saw WW today! I loved it, there are so many epic awesome moments, but lots of cute funny nice things too. Young Diana was adorable and you gotta love how determined and strong willed she is from day one. The London stuff was genuinely funny, and just tons of other great stuff as the movie goes on. Just great stuff, and it's hard not to come out of the movie feeling really triumphant and good about things.

I'm watching it on Saturday to cheer me up.

tkscz

On the hand: Deathstroke remains excellent.

I still can't tell if Priest is actually setting up for Slade to seduce nuPowergirl or if that's me being influenced by fans projecting.

Don't, we do not need another
Judas Contract moment. I know Slade wasn't actually into Terra, but it was still uncomfortable to see it. Don't need that again.

But I did like this issue and can't wait to see whats next.
Glad to see Tanya back in play and I do like how much character she's given here. "But... I'm a good girl"

Also holy shit at Aquaman.
His whole kingdom has betrayed him and he got stabbed and trapped.

Why didn't anyone tell me Tanya Spears was in Deathstroke. Now I gotta read all of Deathstroke.

Yeah, she showed up a couple issues ago. Slade came to her for help when he was blind and, not knowing he was DS, she helps him until she finds out the truth. Took him
Quoting the bible and giving her a puppy for her to forgive him. Also, helping her get birth control helps a little.

Sou Da

Wait really? Where are you getting all of this?
The ask Greg website and the tie in comics he wrote. Dude is extremely thorough.

The JSA was also expanded to the All Star Squadron during WW2 and Diana actually joined that before the League was created in 2003 when the Applexians attacked.

Why does no one ever use the Applexian origin for the Justice League anymore? There's also some interesting lore bits like:

The Justice League has a rotating chair for the Leader that's elected every so often. Batman was only elected once in 2010 before Cap Atom replaced him in 2015.

Flash didn't accidentally get powers, he was always a huge fan of Jay and the first time he met him is when he was announcing his permanent retirement in 97. A year later Barry figured exactly how the chemcial explosion worked and safely recreated it, making himself the next Flash.

Barry's the oldest non-immortal JL founder at 40. The JL has a UN contract which means they can't operate in certain countries. It's also what keeps the police off of Batman.

I'm kinda surprised that DC hasn't done any spinoffs in this universe yet but I suppose it wouldn't work without Vietti's and Weisman's oversight.

Why didn't anyone tell me Tanya Spears was in Deathstroke. Now I gotta read all of Deathstroke.

She's written pretty great too. Until maybe this newest issue where I think it goes a little funky.

Don't, we do not need another
Judas Contract moment. I know Slade wasn't actually into Terra, but it was still uncomfortable to see it. Don't need that again.

But I did like this issue and can't wait to see whats next.
Glad to see Tonya back in play and I do like how much character she's given here. "But... I'm a good girl"

Also holy shit at Aquaman.
His whole kingdom has betrayed him and he got stabbed and trapped.

I'm really thrown off by her just accepting a new puppy as an OK from Deathstroke and not knowing automatically that Slade is just using her religion against her. It really throws me off and makes it seem really weird to me. Did she just not care much for that first dog? God damn.

I do think she would want to "fix" Slade. I think she'd want to try and help him turn over a new leaf, but the way it was written in this issue kind of bothers me. This issue as a whole I feel was written a little weird compared to the rest of Deathstroke to this point.

Top Bottom