• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

New parody page:
tumblr_ora198Vm0n1uwlmkuo1_1280.jpg

Issue At Hand, Episode 18

Geez I'm away for a few days and this place turns into a cess pit of Esther hate :(

De Groots for life, I hope anyone that says otherwise will get caught up in Esthers eternal surrounding chaos field

So I should check out Nextwave if I really like Way's DP?

You should check out Nextwave no matter what. I actually don't think they're *that* similar, except for both are irreverent and don't take themselves too seriously, and are very well aware that they are comic books and are something of a commentary on how boring normal comics get sometimes. Nextwave isn't as.... meta-textual as Doom Patrol? It's still a "superheroes doin' superhero stuff" book at it's base, even if it's a ludicrous, hilarious, self-aware turned-up-to-12 take on that concept.

You should check out Nextwave no matter what. I actually don't think they're *that* similar, except for both are irreverent and don't take themselves too seriously, and are very well aware that they are comic books and are something of a commentary on how boring normal comics get sometimes. Nextwave isn't as.... meta-textual as Doom Patrol? It's still a "superheroes doin' superhero stuff" book at it's base, even if it's a ludicrous, hilarious, self-aware turned-up-to-12 take on that concept.

Sounds great. Will add it to the growing list of stuff to check out.

Reading Remender's Uncanny X-Force for the first time. This is pretty damn amazing.
I love his X-Force. The first twenty or so issues are just amazing team comics. The intro arc, The Apocalypse Solution, really blew me away when I first read it.

Uncanny Avengers, the follow-up series, is really good too BTW. First arc is on the weaker end, but past that it gets really good.

This is nice.

Vic_Viper

Reading Remender's Uncanny X-Force for the first time. This is pretty damn amazing.

I highly recommend checking out his Uncanny Avengers book after X-Force. Its basically a sequel book that continues alot of the story lines and has a really good story if you can get past the first arc, which some dont really like. Then after Uncanny Avengers leads into the event called Axis. Its not the best event by any stretch but still a fun story thats worth at least checking out if your invested in the characters and story Remender has been telling.

Remender also wrote an OGN called Rage of Ultron that is actually cannon but doesnt really fit anywhere special and can be read at any time. Basically its a better Age of Ultron that is a culmination of every Ultron story with the Avengers team after Axis. The big twist at the end of Rage has been picked up in the more recent Uncanny Avengers run and even Secret Empire.

His Cap book was really cool also but its definitely not for everyone.

DC One Million

If you really want that Omnibus, Hamilton Books still has it in stock brand new for $30:

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/dc-one-million-omnibus

I highly recommend checking out his Uncanny Avengers book after X-Force. Its basically a sequel book that continues alot of the story lines and has a really good story if you can get past the first arc, which some dont really like. Then after Uncanny Avengers leads into the event called Axis. Its not the best event by any stretch but still a fun story thats worth at least checking out if your invested in the characters and story Remender has been telling.

Remender also wrote an OGN called Rage of Ultron that is actually cannon but doesnt really fit anywhere special and can be read at any time. Basically its a better Age of Ultron that is a culmination of every Ultron story with the Avengers team after Axis. The big twist at the end of Rage has been picked up in the more recent Uncanny Avengers run and even Secret Empire.

If you really want that Omnibus, Hamilton Books still has it in stock brand new for $30:

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/dc-one-million-omnibus

woah! that's a great price! any other good deals in here?

Vic_Viper

woah! that's a great price! any other good deals in here?

The Sinestro Corps War Absolute Edition is $30 also!

Bought those 2 a while back and they were in perfect condition. They don't seem to get new stuff in very often though so I'm not sure ATM.

Also Azzerelo's Superman Absolute Edition. And If you like manga, they have the Mobile Suit Gundam Origin oversized volumes for like $10.

The Sinestro Corps War Absolute Edition is $30 also!

Bought those 2 a while back and they were in perfect condition. They don't seem to get new stuff in very often though so I'm not sure ATM.

Also Azzerelo's Superman Absolute Edition. And If you like manga, they have the Mobile Suit Gundam Origin oversized volumes for like $10.

I found the Watchmen hardcover for $10. I'm going to do those two. I'm good on the rest. Thanks for posting it!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished reading Batman: Ego.

Man, that was spectacular from beginning to end. Not a single story there that wasn't great from beginning to end.

VanWinkle

Well, today's my birthday and I feel like getting a new omnibus or two. Any good DC stuff?

Oh man, I have over 20 DC omnis. I'm your man.

Tim brought up DC One Million. That wouldn't have been my first choice but it is genuinely a good event with a lot of great tie-ins. So, I mean, for $30, it's an EASY choice, IMO.

Other than that, Planetary is incredible and it's a one-off omni, so you don't need anything else to get the complete story.

JSA Vol. 1-3 by Geoff Johns/James Robinson/David S. Goyer are spectacular comics, as well as Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Vol. 1-3.

If you're looking for some Kirby-esque New Gods stuff, Orion by Walt Simonson is great stuff and very true to Kirby's style and tone.

Well, today's my birthday and I feel like getting a new omnibus or two. Any good DC stuff?

If you don't have Planetary, that's always my #1 Omni recommendation. It's probably my favorite comic ever, it's all contained in that one volume, and it's huge but not so big as to be unreadable.

In terms of new stuff, it's not DC but the new Marvel Monsterbus omni that came out is super-fantastic.

Started reading Detective Comics v2 and realised I really didn't remember much of what happened in v1 that I read only two months ago... I guess it turned out to be about as memorable as a JJ Abrams movie.

frye

batman and catwoman calling each other 'bat' and 'cat' annoys the shit out of me for some reason and i hated batman 24 because of it

Uncanny Avengers is on my list right after I finish X-Force but I'm also trying to catch up with Aaron's Thor. Not super interested in AXIS, however, with my backlog.

I was wary of Rage of Ultron because I haven't liked a modern Ultron story in a while but I'll give it a look after I'm done with Uncanny Avengers.

I actually really like Remender's Cap. It was very different from Brubaker, which was nice after having him on it for years.

Top Bottom