• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
From Software was really not at E3? Bloodborne 2 was mostly wishful thinking, but I at least expected Armored Core to show up. Looks like if will be indeed quiet some time before we see another Soulslike. To bad, cause I also liked the Aztec-Themed rumor that was floating around.

Luckily, I have still three Dark Souls games to play.

How did that happen and how do you even know that?

Its on the Rare Replay Collection for Xbox One

J_Viper

Ten bucks doesn't seem like much of a "sale" for A Court of Owls. What's the usual price on that?

Also, I'm guessing that the essential Snyder Batman trades are Court of Owls, the direct follow up, and Death of a Family?

The one downside of having a job during E3 this year is not staying up until stupid o'clock for Jeff's interview shows.

I just want to know if they are going to get John Vignocchi and Dave Lang on the same couch again. After what happened in '15 and '16, I almost don't want it to happen, but I also totally do.

Also, started reading those huge New Teen Titans Perez-Wolfman collections and the old Starlin Warlock collections to balance out some of the newer comics i've been reading. Given how decompressed everything has gotten, how many issues of "modern" comics would you need to contain all the dialogue of one of those older comics? 4? 5? 6?

Reginald Hudlin as the Shadowman director? Valiant Cinematic Universe is dead, bury it.

giphy.gif

Direct awful movies aside from the first House Party. There are way better black directors that would make a better choice than Wedgie Rudlin.

...but he hasn't really directed a film since 2002. He's stuck to TV. Can't really tell, but the few credits I've seen seem solid. I think I'll wait to pass judgement in this case.

Ross61

...but he hasn't really directed a film since 2002. He's stuck to TV. Can't really tell, but the few credits I've seen seem solid. I think I'll wait to pass judgement in this case.
We'll see but I don't have any hope for that one. I did like the other choice of directors for the other films. A Deadpool-esque director for Bloodshot and Zombieland director for Archer and Armstrong are great gets.

We'll see but I don't have any hope for that one. I did like the other choice of directors for the other films. A Deadpool-esque director for Bloodshot and Zombieland director for Archer and Armstrong are great gets.

I'm just surprised this film is moving forward, tbh. It's been in the works for a long time

So, I picked up most (all?) of the stuff from that Marvel Cosmic reading order thing in that Amazon sale. And... well, I'm wrapping up Annihilation Volume 3, and... uh, so far I'm feeling like it was a little overhyped. Or really overhyped.

Lemme back up. This is all from the perspective of a near-total neophyte to Marvel's cosmic material, with the exception of familiarity with Thanos, Galactus, and the movie versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy characters.

Volume 1 was GREAT. Seriously, fantastic. The Annhilation Wave comes across as a wonderful melding of lite cosmic horror with some rock solid war fiction (and of course superhero shenanigans). The Annihilation Wave came across as a truly mighty force, something that could barely be slowed- not just because of the element of surprise (though that helped too), but because of sheer, overwhelming might. That fight on the Xendar Cluster was excellent. Had no exposure to the Nova Corps in the comics before this. They came off a little bit like Great Value Green Lanterns, right down to introducing the new threat by wiping them out. Annihilus was established as a force to be reckoned with in a way that struck me as really well-considered as it cut off the obvious "why not just kill the boss" logic- namely, that if you try and you FAIL, he might just pick up your powers as well. Massive army, check. Badass boss, check. Cosmic horror notes, check. Solid villains, solid plot, decent characters.

The issues really started around Volume 2 with the Super Skrull. It was just... SUCH a dramatic change of pace from the previous volume. The Wave got nerfed, HARD. And for some weird reason they looked totally different? Plus, even at the end of volume 3 I have no idea why they bothered with this stuff. Super Skrull seems like a fun character, but he and his supporting cast don't actually play much of a role. The superweapon they blew up didn't play a part in volume 1 at all, and when they reappear in volume 3 they don't really do that much. Volume 2 did, however, have the Ronan stuff, which was more in keeping with the first volume in terms of tone and presentation. All I'd known Ronan from before was GOTG 1, and I gotta say, they did him a pretty massive disservice there. The Universal Weapon is a really cool toy, albeit weirdly OP compared to what the rest of the Kree seem to have, and Ronan's characterization here is just so much more engaging than what we got in the movie. Damn shame. And speaking of weirdness, what in God's name is Gamora wearing? Anyway, then we get to the Silver Surfer, which was cool again. The Seekers again don't really fit with the original Annihilation Wave concept so well, but I guess they're a sort of necessary counterpart to the higher-level stuff running around the universe. Weaksauce weakness, though. No idea what's up with the other Celestials who get out of the Kyln, but they seem cool. Confused why they went along with leaving Galactus alive, but whatever, it made for a decent escalation.

So Volume 2 was kind of a mixed bag, but I feel the real sin it commits more than any individual moment or storyline is that it really squandered the sense of pressure in volume 1. The steady tick of "X days after Annhilation day" panels created a suspense that just... vanished while we watched Super Skrull beat on dudes in the Negative Zone or Ronan deal with the Worldshaper's Apprentice dude and so on. The threat got bigger, but the sense of threat got smaller.

Then Volume 3, which seemed to try and get back to the original thesis but just sorta fails. Starting in media res with the United Front was a mistake. Should've shown how that happened (I assume they did somewhere, but I'm not hunting down extra tie in material). Trying to show off realistic tactics was an even bigger mistake, because the writer was very, very bad at it. Plus, guys, just tossing in a bunch of brand new baddies at the 11th hour is not a great look. Then there's just... everything from Annihilus apparently relying on the Quantum Bands after all to Thanos' really awkwardly handled face turn (no shit he's going to wipe out the universe, where the fuck have you been?) to Drax apparently not being a schemer and instead being an idiot to the real weirdness... peace. 2/3 of the Annihilation wave gone, and along with it, most/all of the real heavy hitters. Plus their supply lines! You don't make peace then and give them all the stuff they conquered, that's just nuts. An impression further reinforced by the strangeness that was the epilogue with Ravenous. Man, I just don't know. Also, wow there's some dodgy art here. About the only really redeeming segment was the bit where Galactus breaks free. That was dope. That said, Silver Surfer taking out Tenebrous and Aegis by cutting a sick wave across the Crunch strikes me as really blatantly low-effort way to tie up loose ends. Poor showing on that front.

So, basically, short version: Annhilation was a strong start that started to meander around and ultimately led into a pretty major disappointment. Hoping for more from the rest of the reading order.

So I played the Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite demo. That was....something. The gameplay isn't bad, but it's on the simple side with the deeper gameplay under the surface. It feels like Smash Bros. or Playstation All-Stars in some ways. The voices and dialogue are fucking horrible, though. As are some of the character models. Capcom needs to step it up with Dragonball Fighters Z on the way.

Read 7 issues of Silver Surfer today and I could stop any time but why would I want to?

Because if you read them all you will have no more Silver Surer to read.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is it a flop?

Started off hot with 21K for the first issue but that took a nosedive selling 11K, 8K, 9K, and 7K over its next four issues.

Those aren't terrible numbers but they aren't great either. Books have lasted a while on those kinds of sales though.

For comparisons sake Monstress started out at 29K then averaged about 21K over the next 5 issues of its first arc.

Messi

Started off hot with 21K for the first issue but that took a nosedive selling 11K, 8K, 9K, and 7K over its next four issues.

Those aren't terrible numbers but they aren't great either. Books have lasted a while on those kinds of sales though.

For comparisons sake Monstress started out at 29K then averaged about 21K over the next 5 issues of its first arc.

I'd guess a large amount of Babs followers are not traditional comic readers and will buy the trade. Which just releases tomorrow. The Batgirl trades did really well if I remember correctly.

I'd guess a large amount of Babs followers are not traditional comic readers and will buy the trade. Which just releases tomorrow. The Batgirl trades did really well if I remember correctly.

We will see how supportive her fans are.

Only trade I bought this week was the 3rd Ms. Marvel hardcover.

Top Bottom