• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Is Batman Eternal good, or nah?

The weekly wait made it drag longer than it needed to, but reading them all straight through is a bit better. Solid series. Make sure you're familiar with Morrison's run, DickBats era, and New 52 Bats.

Also, that Dark Days issue is.... idk what it is yet, but it was a page turner for sure.

Dalek

The weekly wait made it drag longer than it needed to, but reading them all straight through is a bit better. Solid series. Make sure you're familiar with Morrison's run, DickBats era, and New 52 Bats.

Also, that Dark Days issue is.... idk what it is yet, but it was a page turner for sure.

Yeah I want to read this too. Bleeding Cool is insinuating some crazy stuff about it.

Reading Dark Days: The Forge now...

JRJR's art is weird as hell at times, like the perspective is all off.

That said, it feels like a buildup to a Crisis. I mean, we already know Metal is the event, but it feels like Countdown to Infinite Crisis etc where tons of big, crazy concepts are coming together. It helps that Snyder's been planting the seeds for this for 6 years already...

The page 32 reveal has me happy and the ending is a "wtf!?".

Roll on The Casting

This is so out of Snyder's comfort zone (in a good way, I think - at least so far) that its cool to see just how many bits and pieces he draws upon.

tkscz

Just read the new JLA... I swear I think I read this series just for Lobo. I mean, this issue wasn't that bad for being a story ark introduction, but it feels rushed. Like
they find a guy in an undisturbed valley and boom, skips to two weeks later and the dude has already adjusted, but wait, his story he told the JLA was a lie and Batman/Black Canery can tell. And of course they're right but the rest of the team doesn't believe Batman because everyone deserves a second chance, except it would be this guy's first chance so...
It just feels pushed really fast and so did the last story ark they did. I guess this comic is a limited series or something because they go through arks so fast that sometimes I don't know whats going on and the writing gets all messed up.

Mindwipe

Whisper it very quietly, but Secret Empire #4 is actually... quite good? I am all for
Pym-tron's
calling people on their bullshit hour.

Do you agree with Bleeding Cool's "recommended reading before The Forge" list?

It's not essential but there is payoff to threads started in Snyder's Batman run...

And Rich's notion of
Infinite Crisis
being important is...kinda true. Considering Snyder had, by and large, been a street level writer for DC so far, I was not expecting some of the things he brought into the fold.

You don't need an intimate knowledge of BC's list, but you'll get a little extra out of it if you skim them.

shingi70

Banned
Dark Days the forge was weird, alot of big weird concepts and brining back hoe big the dcu really is.

So is this considered apart of the rebirth mystery or not?

Dark Days the forge was weird, alot of big weird concepts and brining back hoe big the dcu really is.

So is this considered apart of the rebirth mystery or not?

Doomsday Clock, Johns' upcoming miniseries with Gary Frank, is the next step in the Rebirth story. Darks Days and Metal is a separate concept that Snyder has been working on since before rebirth started.

Reading Dark Days: The Forge now...

JRJR's art is weird as hell at times, like the perspective is all off.

That said, it feels like a buildup to a Crisis. I mean, we already know Metal is the event, but it feels like Countdown to Infinite Crisis etc where tons of big, crazy concepts are coming together. It helps that Snyder's been planting the seeds for this for 6 years already...

The page 32 reveal has me happy and the ending is a "wtf!?".

Roll on The Casting

This is so out of Snyder's comfort zone (in a good way, I think - at least so far) that its cool to see just how many bits and pieces he draws upon.
This is what I thought as well.

superbeau

Neo Member
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but my 10 year old nephew asked for some comics. I'd like to get him a couple superhero issues and a couple non-cape books. Obviously nothing to violent or sexual. It's just been so long since I read comics I don't where to start :/

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but my 10 year old nephew asked for some comics. I'd like to get him a couple superhero issues and a couple non-cape books. Obviously nothing to violent or sexual. It's just been so long since I read comics I don't where to start :/

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) might be a decent place for cape books. It has a few of the Avengers and X Men making cameos from time to time, iirc, but isn't very violent or anything. From what I remember >_>

Gotham Academy might be suitable? I didn't read too much but it was quite charming and would be a decent gateway between non-cape books, and cape books. My mind's gone blank on others.

Non-cape:
Gotham Academy
Lumberjanes
Valiant High

Cape:
Ms. Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Faith

My nephew is really into Amulet

You might also check out Super Dinosaur

I also always enjoyed Tiny Titans

Mindwipe

Does he have any preferences? Like watching the Teen Titans cartoons or anything? Lots of the animated shows have tie in comics that are younger reader friendly.

Star Wars? (Keiron Gillen's run on Darth Vader is great if you want something maybe a little more challenging that things explicitly for children). Marvel have Spidey, which is basically a younger reader friendly Spider-man book (and good!). Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is set in the Marvel Universe and apparently survives it's low circulation entirely because the trades sell well to kids. Gotham Academy's first volume is fantastic, and a good book for kids (again, it's set in the DC universe but in a school. Batman's in it a bit, but not much). I hear good things about Superman Family Adventures too. Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil is good if it's still in print. Marvel have a "Marvel Adventures" line, which are supposed to be for kids. Most of them are pretty phoned in though, to be honest, so it depends on his development.

Lumberjanes is a good shout for younger indie readers. Those Uncle Scrooge books sell out the bejeezus internationally, and they're easier to get now Marvel distribute them.

tim1138

Didn't we already know that as of The Button?

Sure,
but we didn't have him telling other characters about it and using it to his advantage to get in their head (literally in this case). Dude flat out tells Iris and Wally that Flash rebooted the timeline and that Wally shouldn't even exist.

Sure,
but we didn't have him telling other characters about it and using it to his advantage to get in their head (literally in this case). Dude flat out tells Iris and Wally that Flash rebooted the timeline and that Wally shouldn't even exist.
Aaaaaaah

So he's coming from the Max Lord school of douchebaggery, I see.

Is Shadowman worth reading?

eeeeeehhhhuuhhhhhh depends on your level of interest and how much other Valiant you've read. The first two volumes and part of volume 3 are pretty good. The rest is really rough. The crossover in Ninjak volume 3, Operation Deadside, was fantastic and Rapture is looking to be amazing.

But yeah, definitely the weakest of early Valiant and one of the few runs I don't recommend often.

Aaaaaaah

So he's coming from the Max Lord school of douchebaggery, I see.

Didn't Thawne achieved that accomplishment when he shredded Thomas Wayne's letter?

eeeeeehhhhuuhhhhhh depends on your level of interest and how much other Valiant you've read. The first two volumes and part of volume 3 are pretty good. The rest is really rough. The crossover in Ninjak volume 3, Operation Deadside, was fantastic and Rapture is looking to be amazing.

But yeah, definitely the weakest of early Valiant and one of the few runs I don't recommend often.

I guess I'll read Bloodshot or Rai instead of Shadowman.

Malyse

Max Lord would be a great DCEU villain. Imagine if they bring him in early as an ally and actually build to a conflict.

Max Lord would be a great DCEU villain. Imagine if they bring him in early as an ally and actually build to a conflict.

Let Cruise be Maxwell.

He's kinda charismatic, and a box office draw. I feel like he'd need to be intensely charismatic yet able to turn on you like a dime, into someone sneering, manipulative and controlling. A charismatic bastard.

Top Bottom