• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #11
Christ Babs that's hardcore.
Keeping up with comics is way too pricey so I'll probably wait for trades or a sale. Like I went ham on that Amazon Marvel sale because it was all so cheap even though I don't have a tablet to read all the comics I bought lol.
I feel you I feel you

Yeah, true. I might just still be salty about the part where she and Cyclops both stared like idiots at a helicarrier missile for like literally 10-15 seconds before it blew them both to hell for a plot contrivance. It was so forced it left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole run.

Battle of the Atom all around is just...euugh, too. I hate what they did to Molly Hayes.
BotA was bad. Yes. Yes it was. I also wasn't a fan of the Omega Mutant arc. Eva's attack on Scott at the end was immensely unearned.

New parody page:
tumblr_orqp9vS5G91uwlmkuo1_1280.jpg

mreddie

57 BLACK BOLT #1
66 LUKE CAGE #1
71 I AM GROOT #1
75 SECRET WARRIORS #1
80 GENERATION X #2
84 JEAN GREY #2
90 ROCKET #1

Oh Marvel, Marvel, what are we gonna do with you?

So are we expecting any announcements from DC regarding a digital service at SDCC?

They already announced their digital subscription thing, but so far it's light on details and apparently more adaptation focused. We'll learn more about that then, and I wouldn't be shocked if there were comics in it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
57 BLACK BOLT #1
66 LUKE CAGE #1
71 I AM GROOT #1
75 SECRET WARRIORS #1
80 GENERATION X #2
84 JEAN GREY #2
90 ROCKET #1

This makes me wonder, did Marketing at Marvel happened before Secret Wars ended? Or is it a new problem?

mjc

I would be surprised if DC did it. I would jump on a DC sub for a few months if it's anything like Marvel Unlimited.

I'm super surprised they haven't rolled out a similar service to MU yet. I know it's not the largest money maker in terms of a platform, but it builds a lot of goodwill with fans.

They already announced their digital subscription thing, but so far it's light on details and apparently more adaptation focused. We'll learn more about that then, and I wouldn't be shocked if there were comics in it.
Yeah, it's set for 2018ish IIRC. Guessing it will launch when they have S3 of Young Justice done and Titans on the way.

Sure, continue laughing at great books failing.

At least Black Bolt is living up to that next Vision hype. Both books failed miserably in sales.
If they want to do all these niche books from not well known creators then they need to stop selling them for $3.99. Of course they're going to fail.

Sure, continue laughing at great books failing.

At least Black Bolt is living up to that next Vision hype. Both books failed miserably in sales.
Then they shouldn't be sold at 3.99. Marvel has been doing this to themselves and I see no signs of them changing. I will continue to laugh unless Marvel changes their strategy.

Aren't they more expensive than DC's digital-first comics? I see more talk(and sales going by the CMX bestsellers)about Super Hero Girls, Bombshells and Injustice than I do Slapstick, Punisher crossovers etc.

Those cost about .99 when Marvel online comics cost anywhere between 2.99 to 1.99 USD. So, overall Marvel comics both digital and psychical is more expensive than DC right now.

Jean Grey and Black Bolts books deserve so much better than that.

This is what eventually happens when you over-saturate your product with #1s. People stop paying attention. Marvel needs to find some other way to diversify their product than just replacing books every time something fails to meet sales expectations, because it's the only thing they seem to know how to do and it's clearly not working.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Crosspost from the Avengers cartoon thread, because I think it deserves a little push:

Just to update people who (for whatever reason) ignore the show: If you can get over the (mostly) Villain of the week theme, this has gotten pretty good after 1.5 seasons. It had the Justice League Squadron Surpreme in a few good episodes, a bunch of Ultron stuff, the (original!) Thunderbolts, and a pretty meh Inhumans arc but I guess Marvel properties have to, these days, among other quite okay episodes. It's certainly no EMH, but it's doing quite alright.

Alright, the update: The newest season (4) just started, and the opening two-parter uses its version of the "Cabal" (Leader, Enchantress, Skurge, Kang, Arnim Zola) to send the Avengers to some unknown place, so they are effectively out of the show for a while.

This opens up the series to the (I shit you not, it's actually been said!) All New, All Different Avengers team consisting of Captain Marvel (who is legit great in this), Kamala Khan (who is Ms Marvel and also great), The Vision, Black Panther, Ant-Man (the cool one) and Wasp, plus Jane Foster as the new behind the scenes tech gal, effectively making the team actually amazing now.

I hope the original Avengers will stay away from this for all eternity, but who am I kidding, it'll probably last like 3 episodes if that. This team is just SO much better.

uey1krZ.png

So yeah, you might wanna check up on it now. Thank Bufbaf and above-medium or good Avengers episodes will come to you.

Went to the Frank Quitely exhibition at Kelvin Hall Art Gallery. It was really good. Had some of his early work, lots of Allstar Superman, Batman and Robin, We3 and Jupiters Legacy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any suggestions for good romance/slice of life comics? I know manga does a LOT of them, but I don't see as many in the west.

Even if Avengers Assemble is good now, which I highly, HIGHLY doubt, it's just so goddamn ugly. That said, I don't think there are any action-focused western cartoons right now that look good so it's not unique to Assemble.

That new Spider-Man show looks horrific as well.

Any suggestions for good romance/slice of life comics? I know manga does a LOT of them, but I don't see as many in the west.
Love and Rockets definitely. It starts off with a sci-fi story but it gets dropped pretty quickly and moves straight into more standard romance/slice of life. The art is very charming and brimming with personality and it's a lot of fun seeing the characters age and change throughout.

5000KM Per Second is a fantastic romance graphic novel as well. Short read but very good.

I also really like Why I Hate Saturn and You Are Here, both by Kyle Baker. They are out of print, so they may be tricky to find unfortunately. But they're really funny and I highly recommend them!

Top Bottom