• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

It's time for me to read some Hellboy, but where to start is the question.
The beginning is where you want to start. From there just follow in order for trades/library editions.

If you want to read BPRD too, check out Multiversity's reading guide for the series. Great way to follow along and keep everything lined up. Of course, you don't have to follow it exactly, but it's a good reference. BPRD is great btw, just as good as Hellboy once it gets going-- it's a fantastic team comic and basically becomes the main book for the series over time.

Gillen + McKelvie. Book it.

Is she a robot lady or just a robot? Or just a lady that looks like a robot?

She's a girl in a suit! It used to be a huge robot she had a symbiotic relationship with:

528614dd665e119f566c6dcb62fef426.jpg

But the AI sacrificed itself to save her and now she wears the undersuit, with a different powerset:

Savitar

Geoff Johns is on THR's list of the top 100 people in the entertainment business(he's #64 and has a good quote about Trump). Did a thread on the full list.

Hmmmm yesss.

*Looks at all the comics Geoff wrote with people being brutally killed, Superboy forever obsessing about being half Superman and half Lex Luthor and overall helped to make the DC universe overall a more darker deadlier place overall for a decade*

Trump does suck a huge CHEMO though.

Malyse

America is so bad. I dropped it after #3 and I still had a big problem not buying #4 today.

She deserves so much better.

Get Gillen. Please.

Same!

GET IT, GURL. <3

Gillen + McKelvie. Book it.

Is she a robot lady or just a robot? Or just a lady that looks like a robot?

She's a girl in a suit! It used to be a huge robot she had a symbiotic relationship with:

But the AI sacrificed itself to save her and now she wears the undersuit, with a different powerset:
And she's dating
w644

I enjoy the way their arc played out. I think Toni and Aikku are why I'm still reading USAvengers. Since they dropped the best character already &#128545;

-----

Darth Vader is kinda an asshole, huh?

The Wild Storm #5: Great issue. Another slower world building issue like #4
but that Mike vs Miles sequence was so damned good! Such crisp storytelling. 4 pages to completely flesh out Mike and show us what kind of decisions he might take next. And about half a page to show how big of a bastard Craven is. The arc seems to have stepped back from the powder keg building over the first three issues. Major confrontations might come much later in the run than I initially expected. I am guessing the last panel is leading into a big action sequence.

Also, the transitions from #3 to #4 and #4 to #5 are so damn smooth. This is going to read great in trades.

skybald

Picked up Shirtless Bear Fighter. Then put it down. Too much on my list right now. First time I didn't buy something I was interested in.

Malyse

God Country had a solid ending.

I like The Wild Storm, but I don't know who any of those people are.

----

Slade Wilson - Deathstroke
Wade Wilson - Deadpool
Wayne Wilkins - Red Tool

The beginning of Harley this week has me cracking up.

Malyse

Iceman is so good! I honestly didn't expect to care about this at all but it's really worth reading.

---

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, KIRKMAN?

tim1138

The Wild Storm #5: Great issue. Another slower world building issue like #4
but that Mike vs Miles sequence was so damned good! Such crisp storytelling. 4 pages to completely flesh out Mike and show us what kind of decisions he might take next. And about half a page to show how big of a bastard Craven is. The arc seems to have stepped back from the powder keg building over the first three issues. Major confrontations might come much later in the run than I initially expected. I am guessing the last panel is leading into a big action sequence.

Also, the transitions from #3 to #4 and #4 to #5 are so damn smooth. This is going to read great in trades.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it now that Ellis is going to
flip the Daemonite/Kherubim roles from the original Wildstorm comics

I'd also like to take a moment to acknowledge how incredible this version of Zealot is.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it now that Ellis is going to
flip the Daemonite/Kherubim roles from the original Wildstorm comics

I'd also like to take a moment to acknowledge how incredible this version of Zealot is.

I am not
familiar with how they were in the old series. Also, is Kenesha a Daemonite or is that a red herring?

Zealot is awesome. Hoping to see a lot more of her.
I know she is a Kherubim based on the Storm watch run I read recently.

Liking Sue and Reed over Ben and Johnny is weird.

I'm likely alone on an island, but it's not even close.

Sue is the best. Reed is the perfect transhumanist asshole. Both are always interesting.

Ben I just hate, period. Johnny was fun for like two issues as Spider-Man's roommate.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm likely alone on an island, but it's not even close.

Sue is the best. Reed is the perfect transhumanist asshole. Both are always interesting.

Ben I just hate, period. Johnny was fun for like two issues as Spider-Man's roommate.

no i'm with you on finding sue / reed considerably more interesting than ben / jonny

tim1138

I am not
familiar with how they were in the old series. Also, is Kenesha a Daemonite or is that a red herring?

Zealot is awesome. Hoping to see a lot more of her.
I know she is a Kherubim based on the Storm watch run I read recently.

Wildstorm spoilers

Kenesha was a Kehurbim, and was actually Zealot's daughter.

In the old books the Kherubim were good and the Daemonites were evil (angels vs demons, Jim Lee was so clever! ha). Both races ended up on Earth thousands of years ago when battling ships crashed here.

Like I said though, I have a feeling that is going to be flipped this go round.

VanWinkle

Hmmmm yesss.

*Looks at all the comics Geoff wrote with people being brutally killed, Superboy forever obsessing about being half Superman and half Lex Luthor and overall helped to make the DC universe overall a more darker deadlier place overall for a decade*

Ehh I don't believe that. Yes, he writes the occasional dark/violent parts in his comics, but there is lots of positivity/optimism, too. There was a lot of it in Superman. Tons of it in JSA.

It doesn't have to be one thing or the other.

ElNarez

Banned
Ehh I don't believe that. Yes, he writes the occasional dark/violent parts in his comics, but there is lots of positivity/optimism, too. There was a lot of it in Superman. Tons of it in JSA.

It doesn't have to be one thing or the other.

Yeah, literally all the bad shit in Geoff Johns comic is just raising the stakes, making the darkness that much bigger so it's that much more powerful when the heroes end up winning.

Messi

Iceman #1 & #2: 1 was ok, 2 was much better. Why did the book change artists after one issue? The art in #2 was better but it's not great. Loved how Bobby and Kitty were written in #2.

Guardians of the galaxy #4:
dhMeAzK.gif

What a fantastic series so far. Each issue is better than the last. Kuder's art is really fitting and the characters all feel really well written. I feels like their movie counterparts which I'm sure will bother some but I love it. Gamora is straight up fire in #4. Rocket is written much better than Bendis ever achieved. Can't wait for more.

jackdoe

Yeah, literally all the bad shit in Geoff Johns comic is just raising the stakes, making the darkness that much bigger so it's that much more powerful when the heroes end up winning.
Unlike Brad Meltzer who's Identity Crisis is better left in the retcon void.

Sandfox

Zdarsky's Spider-Man is going to be divisive because it's super quippy and has a lot of dialogue, but the story is heading in the right direction and the art is good as well.

Guardians is just a straight up really good book that appeals to both fans of the older Guardians stuff and people who liked the movies.

Sooooo always?

Can't stand Reed. Fuckin' douche.

I agree and Sue isn't really all that much better either.

Malyse

I loved Peter Parker. Like a lot.

New Patriot was a bust. What a bummer of an introduction.
Quick question: Kamala knows Miles' civilian identity but not vice versa, correct?
I think he might? Doesn't he call her by name in Champions? Kamala deffo knows his though.

Is this a really good run of Guardians or is Guardians typically a good book?

no i'm with you on finding sue / reed considerably more interesting than ben / jonny

Exactly. There are interesting stories to tell there. Can't say the same for the other two. Yancy Street is never interesting. The womanizer who lights on fire makes me snooze.

Reed is only interesting when he's evil.

He's rarely evil, but he frequently views everything and everyone as disposable in completing his objectives. He's evil in the utilitarian sense, but he doesn't enter situations with the goal of harming people. He's the smartest man in the room and frequently an asshole. He's also usually right.

Sooooo always?

Can't stand Reed. Fuckin' douche.

You enjoy more "well-rounded" and "three dimensional" characters like Blue Beetle! ;)

Always enjoy reading Sue and Reed. Fascinating characters in their various interpretations

I'm still on cloud nine from the Council of Reeds story. Hickman FF was a fucking trip.

Sandfox

I loved Peter Parker. Like a lot.

New Patriot was a bust. What a bummer of an introduction.

I think he might? Doesn't he call her by name in Champions? Kamala deffo knows his though.

Is this a really good run of Guardians or is Guardians typically a good book?

There are really well regarded past Guardians runs, but the previous one was bad.

I hope the industry learns its lesson after shops shell out a fuckton of money for this inevitable nothing of an event in "Marvel Legacy".

They've gotta stop buying into the hype and stop over-ordering at some point.

Messi

I hope the industry learns its lesson after shops shell out a fuckton of money for this inevitable nothing of an event in "Marvel Legacy".

They've gotta stop buying into the hype and stop over-ordering at some point.

They won't. Just like every other time people have thought it might happen.

Heh, I just got Library Editions 1-3 in the mail today. They are ***gorgeous*** . Seems like library editions and the 4 BPRD "frogs" omnibuses are the way to go.

Some of the BPRD omnibuses are out of print and are expensive.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Poe Dameron was okay-ish, nothing really special, but Darth Maul and Darth Vader were really good this month. Liking this new run of Darth Vader more than the last one.

Malyse

Poe Dameron was okay-ish, nothing really special, but Darth Maul and Darth Vader were really good this month. Liking this new run of Darth Vader more than the last one.
I wish we could have Vader as a movie.

-----

Domino is my new favorite character. I love that she literally only cares about the money.

Finally started the most recent arc of Lazarus. Issue #22, I believe. Soooo good. Still love this series as much as ever.

Currently I'm eating m&ms and watching F is for Family season 2.

Top Bottom