• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

dan2026

It says about a year after the Riddler Zero Year stuff, but I think the stuff about how long ago it was gets a little muddled because of all the New52/Rebirth time constraint stuff mixed with what Superman Reborn has possibly done to timeline and stuff like that.

Biggest issue in dialogue is the Riddler stuff. Don't think his Riddler so far is very good at all.
The Riddler slashing someone up in a berserk frenzy doesn't ring true to me on any level.
And the Joker being morose because he doesn't find anything funny anymore?
I guess that's more interesting on some level, but it still seems weird.

I just don't think King is cut out to be a Batman writer.
I keep looking at his Batman work in an attempt to see something good, but I just dont think its there.

The Riddler slashing someone up in a berserk frenzy doesn't ring true to me on any level.

I keep looking at his Batman work in an attempt to see something good, but I just dont think its there.

A podcast has been pretty adamant lately that King is going more for big moments but really doesn't think out the reality of the situations or the characters, and although I've liked this run I'm starting to come around to that thinking.

Like in this issue with Riddler.
They say Riddler only ever talked to one guard or something like that but the guard said he never asked for anything he thought would help him escape....but then he has a shank or knife to stab someone 26 times or whatever and he asks a ton of info about all the other guards? That in no way would help him escape? Really?

tim1138

Other non Shirtless Bear-Fighter or Wild Storm comics from this week:

Green Arrow
I'm extremely excited to see Percy revisit the
Hard Traveling Heroes
story in the upcoming arc. He's done a great job of riffing on classic story bits and melding them with modern continuity. And I so hope we get more
Kate Spencer, in both her attorney and Manhunter roles

Green Lanterns
Still my favorite Rebirth book. Poor Simon is in desperate need of a win. I'm really digging how Humphries is expanding on stuff Johns brought in at the end of his run.

I Hate Fairyland
Kind of predictable, but still funny with great guest art.
Of course Larry's life was going to be worse without Gert around

Super Sons
A nice one off issue between arcs with solid guest art. This is probably the most charming book DC is putting out.

Well, looks like my vacation plans are finished. I'm going to LA and stopping by in NYC for 3 days on the way back to Sweden.

Any recommendations on things in LA?

Kurdel

Banned
Ultimates 2

Holy shit that was good. Galactus and Ego
opening up to each other was touching, and seeing him turn into Ego-Prime and the Eternity Watch
jesus that was awesome.

Sou Da

The guard scene was really bad, like "I just started writing a superhero comic for the very first time" bad.

Sou Da

Ultimates 2

Holy shit that was good. Galactus and Ego
opening up to each other was touching, and seeing him turn into Ego-Prime and the Eternity Watch
jesus that was awesome.

Ewing is literally the only person who would remember Alter-Ego too.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Birthright #26
Black Magick #8
Black Science #31
Crosswind #4
Curse Words #8
East of West #35
Elsewhere #2
Kill or Be Killed #12
Kill the Minotaur #4
Lazarus X Plus 66 #3
Manifest Destiny #31
Sacred Creatures #3
Saga #47
Scales and Scoundrels #1
Shirtless Bear Fighter #4
Spy Seal #2
Violent Love #8
The Walking Dead #171
Wayward #23
The Wicked + The Divine #31
Youngblood #5

A nice solid 21 issues. But considering there are 6 series there I haven't even started yet that number could and probably will shrink by September.

Dalek

1082.gif

Sou Da

Yeah I am done on the Batman book until King finishes.

The framing for this story is also unintentionally hilarious
and flat out spoils the "marriage mystery" btw.
"I know this is bad pillow talk but I must tell you the the tale of DC Rebirth's Batman The War of Jokes and Riddles"

Just a horrible title drop.

Man, X-Statix picks up right where X-Force ended. I thought there would be a lull for a bit or things would slow down while the new team is established. The series feels continuously off balance and I love that. Arnie is scary.

Also damn @ Doop + Corkscrew. -_-

U.S Avengers, yesss. My girl Aikku getting that screentime. ♡♡♡ Ewing really seems set on pushing her. Think she has become kind of his baby.

"I see you." uh oh sucka.

Messi

Honestly, I'm just hoping they don't bring a fill in during those 5. It must take a while to draw all those bubbles.

He's already drawing different books. Dude is fast when healthy.

He's doing a few Suicide Squad issues as well. He has good editors so he'll make it on time.

Sunstone calendar is getting a 2nd printing.

Sejics delays have always been related to his health and his fucked up shoulder. Editors weren't the issue.

ITSMILNER

ComicGAF, I need your help!

One of my favourite times in Marvel were the mid-late 90's stuff, very nostalgic for me. In particular, I remember loving the Spider-Man run starting from when Peter Parker took over being Spidey after Ben's death, through the Spider-Hunt, Gathering of five ad up to the Final chapter storyline.

I've hunting online to see if this run has been collected in TPB form, I can see Marvel have collect the Clone Saga, Ben Reilly saga and the rebooted late 90's Spider-Man stuff but not the run in the middle I'm looking for.

So, my question is, has this run been collected yet? If not are there plans to collect it like they have done with all the other Spidey runs of that era?

Bonus question, was the Fantastic Four and Iron-Man runs (After the Heroes Reborn story) ever collected? I have the Avengers TPB that were released that cover the same era.

Messi

I don't ask for much Marvel. I support you when others can't. I buy too many books. I put your shit in the OTs. I just want one simple thing.

Gwenpool OHC.

Please.

Just finished Alias for the first time, and now I've read the first couple arcs of The Pulse. Kind of heartbreaking that such a good book was ruined by going PG. Actually, Pulse isn't that bad, but it's just impossible to read it without wondering how great it would have been if it had just continued in the first book. I read an article that explains why - Bendis couldn't use Spider-Man and Wolverine in a book with cursing and drugs. So I get it. And the storyline remains good, and it makes sense from a story progression standpoint. But gawd, it just feels so... toothless. It might have helped if Gaydos had stayed on as the artist. That big bright Bagley art in the first arc just makes it impossible to keep that feeling.

Geoff Johns is on THR's list of the top 100 people in the entertainment business(he's #64 and has a good quote about Trump). Did a thread on the full list.
How Trump has changed my job and life

Johns: Trump is low-hanging fruit and gets lower all the time — I find it's more important than ever to remind the world that hope still exists, optimism is not a fool's mindset, and tomorrow will be better because the majority of the world wants it to be. Superman taught me that and the great people in my life confirmed it.

dh4niel

Just finished the new Spectacular Spider-Man starts off great with Spidey hanging with Johnny Storm. I won't spoil anymore but I have high hopes for the series. Never thought i'd like yet another 'back to basics' Spider-Man book this much.

Geoff Johns is on THR's list of the top 100 people in the entertainment business(he's #64 and has a good quote about Trump). Did a thread on the full list.
That's a very Geoff Johns quote. You can tell he really means it when he puts stuff like this in his comics
Man, X-Statix picks up right where X-Force ended. I thought there would be a lull for a bit or things would slow down while the new team is established. The series feels continuously off balance and I love that. Arnie is scary.

Also damn @ Doop + Corkscrew. -_-
Doop can be a terrifying lil bastard
Well, looks like my vacation plans are finished. I'm going to LA and stopping by in NYC for 3 days on the way back to Sweden.

Los Angeles... The City of Angels...

Vic_Viper

A podcast has been pretty adamant lately that King is going more for big moments but really doesn't think out the reality of the situations or the characters, and although I've liked this run I'm starting to come around to that thinking.

Like in this issue with Riddler.
They say Riddler only ever talked to one guard or something like that but the guard said he never asked for anything he thought would help him escape....but then he has a shank or knife to stab someone 26 times or whatever and he asks a ton of info about all the other guards? That in no way would help him escape? Really?

Which Podcast are you referring too?

Beyond the usual "The Getty is great, LACMA is pretty cool, some of the old classic movie houses are palaces, yeah the traffic is total butt" stuff?

Go see a comedy show or podcast show at Largo. It's a great venue.
Go to the Museum of Jurassic Technology (very, very hard to explain)
If that isn't your speed, check out the Velveteria (yup, a museum of velvet paintings)
Amoeba Music is one of the greatest record stores in the world
If you're there on the weekend and want a workout, check out the pick-up beach volleyball games on the beaches a few blocks south of the Santa Monica pier, then walk a block to Cha-Cha Chicken for a bite afterwards
Iam8bit has their gallery in LA so check to see if their current show interests you. GiantRobot has a big store in LA too if you're into figures and whatnot.
Head to Koreatown for some amazingly good (and cheap) bbq.

Now that I got my new iPad I'm going digital with my comics and catching back up, since I haven't been keeping up with the new stuff since January. Gonna delve into the second and third arcs of All-Star Batman tonight. Didn't realize it was ending as a monthly so soon. Kinda bummed.

Malyse

I don't ask for much Marvel. I support you when others can't. I buy too many books. I put your shit in the OTs. I just want one simple thing.

Gwenpool OHC.

Please.

I like the cut of your jib.

I will argue that Gwenpool is the most consistently excellence book marvel has. I love every issue.

Beyond the usual "The Getty is great, LACMA is pretty cool, some of the old classic movie houses are palaces, yeah the traffic is total butt" stuff?

Go see a comedy show or podcast show at Largo. It's a great venue.
Go to the Museum of Jurassic Technology (very, very hard to explain)
If that isn't your speed, check out the Velveteria (yup, a museum of velvet paintings)
Amoeba Music is one of the greatest record stores in the world
If you're there on the weekend and want a workout, check out the pick-up beach volleyball games on the beaches a few blocks south of the Santa Monica pier, then walk a block to Cha-Cha Chicken for a bite afterwards
Iam8bit has their gallery in LA so check to see if their current show interests you. GiantRobot has a big store in LA too if you're into figures and whatnot.
Head to Koreatown for some amazingly good (and cheap) bbq.
-writes down everything on a pad-
How long are you going to be in LA and where?
30/6-6/7. We're still debating where to stay(will be me, my father and two of my little sisters).

Top Bottom