• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Short Injection interview
PREVIEWSworld: The players here that give us Injection have worked together previously on Moon Knight. What came from that synergy that helped the creative process for Injection? Can we get a peek into the camaraderie? Any stories to tell?

Warren Ellis: Comics aren't really that rock-and-roll. Though I think I'm supposed to be in Dublin in mid-May, after I get back from a conference in Berlin, so if I do that and, as planned, get Dec and Jordie so drunk that they cannot see, then there should be some stories. Moon Knight, really, was all three of us learning how to work together and learning what each of us like to do. So my job, every month, is to create the environment and freedom for Dec and Jordie to have fun and make something they're proud of, while I sit back, watch in amazement, and then take the credit because I'm a terrible person. It's great.

Declan Shalvey: Well I for one, welcome Warren's bold plan of blinding both myself and Jordie.

When I took the Moon Knight gig, I did it for the opportunity to work with Warren, and to try do something new and interesting, making bolder decisions about my work with my not-so-secret-weapon of Jordie Bellaire to back me up.

As it turned out, it was the most rewarding project I've ever worked on and I didn't want it to stop. With Injection, I have all that and so much more.

I get to build a world that is mine, where anything is possible.... and ride Warren's coat tails as far as they'll take me!
This is what I love about comics, creative teams that just click.

styl3s

instocktrade is having a 45% off all marvel/dc stuff right now.. 2 days after i order a bunch of marvel/dc stuff :(

Raife

Can you guys that read the current X-Men books talk about what aspects you don't like about Bendis' run? I've been catching up on it lately and I just don't know what seems to be making it not click with me. The art is almost always fantastic. I think the idea of the younger characters seeing the adults they turned out to be isn't terrible. My main issue is that it seems to have dragged on for a few years where it would have been a really cool concept for an arc, maybe two. It's kind of like how Dark Reign just went on and on long past any sort of relevancy.

I don't hate Bendis as a writer, and I know he's capable of writing some good X-Men stuff. People seemed to like the two annuals dealing with Eva quite a bit, but I haven't gotten to check those out for myself yet.

Overall I just seem underwhelmed by his time with the X-Men, but can't figure out anything specific to point out as to why.

Also, this was the most diplomatic dig I think I have read from a creator in a while. Mrac Guggenheim regarding the X-Tinction Agenda Secret Wars.

The artists on the original X-Tinction Agenda were a murderer's row of big-name talent at the time. How did you decide on Carmine Di Giandomenico?

The trickiest thing is that the 1990s books like X-Tinction Agenda have a very distinctive look, and it's a distinctive look that doesn't age well and that a lot of artists that are working today can't quite replicate. So we sort of made the decision early on that we were going to try and honor the roots of extinction agenda in other ways.

Carmine just has this really great style and I wouldn't say it feels 1990s but it feels unique and it has a point-of-view to it.

There's a Joker sale on Comixology, presumably in honor of Jared Leto shaving. I bought The Man Who Laughs, cuz i've never read it and didn't know it was only a one shot, making an impulse buy extremely easy. And for Messi, they got Suicide Squad #15 and Catwoman #14: DOTF Tie Ins, so you can quadruple dip on those

Overall I just seem underwhelmed by his time with the X-Men, but can't figure out anything specific to point out as to why.
All New/Uncanny X-Men problems

Lack of resolution of AvX
Time displaced X-Men don't really serve a purpose except to cause problems
New mutants are boring, have the same personality and overpowered
Veteran X-Men acting compulsively and childish (Go ahead and add Avengers, SHIELD, Shi'ar and bunch of others to this list)
Matthew Malloy
Pointless relationships (Kitty x Starlord, Jean x Hank, X-23 x Cyclops, X-23 x Angel)
etc.

Great art tho.

frye

There's a Joker sale on Comixology, presumably in honor of Jared Leto shaving. I bought The Man Who Laughs, cuz i've never read it and didn't know it was only a one shot, making an impulse buy extremely easy. And for Messi, they got Suicide Squad #15 and Catwoman #14: DOTF Tie Ins, so you can quadruple dip on those

Mahnke inking himself = 👌👌👌

Raife

All New/Uncanny X-Men problems

Lack of resolution of AvX
Time displaced X-Men don't really serve a purpose except to cause problems
New mutants are boring, have the same personality and overpowered
Veteran X-Men acting compulsively and childish (Go ahead and add Avengers, SHIELD, Shi'ar and bunch of others to this list)
Matthew Malloy
Pointless relationships (Kitty x Starlord, Jean x Hank, X-23 x Cyclops, X-23 x Angel)
etc.

Great art tho.

These are all things that have been bugging me. Especially the one I bolded. Thanks. Art is so good though. I loved Immonen on Nextwave, but his X-Men art is good enough to buy the issues just to get the pretty pictures.

besada

Banned
Zombine ban is a perma .

No, it's not. It's for seven days. And he was notified why he was banned in his ban message.

And seriously, if you want to know if a ban was perm or whatever, just PM me. I'm always happy to field questions about that stuff in private.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stop getting banned people!

anyway Silver Surfer is so fucking good, my favorite book atm

Messi

Sadly I already own them on comixology. Don't buy them. I recently read in OT someone recommending the current suicide squad run saying it gets good with the death of the family issues. I'm like

post-28942-Olivia-Wilde-WHAT-WTF-gif-sexy-8W3w.gif

That series was thrash but those two issues are the worst by far.

No, it's not. It's for seven days. And he was notified why he was banned in his ban message.

And seriously, if you want to know if a ban was perm or whatever, just PM me. I'm always happy to field questions about that stuff in private.

I'm sorry we were just joking around :'(

Haha, that sounds amazing. Is that in the current run? It's wrapping up soon, right? Damn shame too, I've really liked what Charles Soule brought to the book.

Nah, man, I haven't read Soule's Swamp Thing yet. Gotta read Rotworld first.

This is from Forever Evil: Blight, that event that plays out in JLD, Constantine, Pandora, and Phantom Stranger. It's not amazing, but it's fun.

02.jpg

oop we've been exposed

Welp, its time for the rest of ya'll to come clean

Korrupt, we know you're GrandHarrier. Tim is clearly Filthy Slug. PsychBat is Freeza, Baron is Kipp, etc

I thought this was common knowledge. >.>

omgkitty

Picked up A Death in the Family in the sale. These comixology sales make it very easy to read a lot of the older classic stories for cheap. Paid $4 for that when the trade version of it on their site was $17.

MG310

Sean Phillips ‏@seanpphillips 52m52 minutes ago

@cameronMstewart @actoncomics1 the Born Again Artist's Edition should be required reading for every superhero artist.
0 replies 0 retweets 7 favorites

David Aja ‏@davaja 15m15 minutes ago

@seanpphillips@cameronMstewart @actoncomics1 I fap to it twice a week at least.
0 replies 0 retweets 3 favorites

Sean Phillips ‏@seanpphillips 14m14 minutes ago

@davaja@cameronMstewart @actoncomics1 it wouldn't surprise me!
0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

The truth behind Hawkeye delays revealed!

styl3s

It's been going on for a little over a week now are you sure you didn't get the discount?
4 Marvel books i ordered were between 30-35% and 3 DC books were like 30-32%. Def hasn't been a week, at least not on Fri-Sat when i placed 2 orders. Rest of the Marvel, Image and DC stuff i orderes seems to vary between 45-47%

Boogiepop

Man, finished off volume 4 of Hellblazer last night. The Family Man stuff in particular was great, but there's a whole lot of good stuff in that book. Particularly interesting were the
the "Hold Me" issue with the frozen homeless guy's ghost where the white kind of took over parts of the page and I was half wondering if it was a printing mistake at first as it took out chunks of word bubbles, and the last issue where everything went all anagram-y. Both interesting techniques to throw the reader off kilter that I've never seen or thought about before.

Calcium

Banned
Can you guys that read the current X-Men books talk about what aspects you don't like about Bendis' run?

My problem with current X-books is mostly just a dislike of the Schism nonsense. It would have been interesting if they did something with it, but they don't really. It just seems like a flimsy plot device to get more X-titles out there. I'd really prefer it if they brought it to a conclusion and focused on one or two X-books that are actually good instead of however many are out there now.

Other than that Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men also have really big pacing problems. Both books have had moments where they were good, but Bendis either doesn't get to a satisfying payoff
(The mutant revolution that Cyclops was supposedly starting that never really amounted to anything)
or just interjects complete nonsense.
(Mystique being married to Charles Xavier and them having a kid.)

Nah, man, I haven't read Soule's Swamp Thing yet. Gotta read Rotworld first.

This is from Forever Evil: Blight, that event that plays out in JLD, Constantine, Pandora, and Phantom Stranger. It's not amazing, but it's fun.

Does Swamp Thing feature prominently or is it just a fun cameo? I don't read JLD. If Swamp Thing is in it often that might be a mistake.

Does Swamp Thing feature prominently or is it just a fun cameo? I don't read JLD. If Swamp Thing is in it often that might be a mistake.

Swamp Thing has been a member of JLD for awhile now, probably like 18 - 24 months at least. Though the last few issues of JLD have been spinning their wheels doing nothing and going no where.

CBTech

Can you guys that read the current X-Men books talk about what aspects you don't like about Bendis' run? I've been catching up on it lately and I just don't know what seems to be making it not click with me. The art is almost always fantastic. I think the idea of the younger characters seeing the adults they turned out to be isn't terrible. My main issue is that it seems to have dragged on for a few years where it would have been a really cool concept for an arc, maybe two. It's kind of like how Dark Reign just went on and on long past any sort of relevancy.

I don't hate Bendis as a writer, and I know he's capable of writing some good X-Men stuff. People seemed to like the two annuals dealing with Eva quite a bit, but I haven't gotten to check those out for myself yet.

Also, this was the most diplomatic dig I think I have read from a creator in a while. Mrac Guggenheim regarding the X-Tinction Agenda Secret Wars.

I'm personally enjoying both All-new and Uncanny. My main complaint is that Bendis has a hard time differentiating each character's personality in their dialog. A lot of the time it can feel like the characters are talking to themselves. He also has a pretty limited sense of humor, but tries to throw in several jokes. A lot of jokes or conversation patterns are reused. He also doesn't really convey well why people dislike Cyclops. To me he hasn't done much that would garner the level of hate the other X-men have for him, but it is written like he is the worst person around.

Also how he handled the conclusion of the most recent Uncanny story was some major crap.

Cade

MGSV being September is a relief because it means I have a whole quarter year more in which to scrounge up a million dollars for the games I need to buy.

Underwhelming is the perfect word to describe the Bendis X-Men run. Cool concepts that keep me coming back, but the execution is terrible. Pacing that's way too slow, stilted dialog and poor characterization. Art is gorgeous and Eva Bell rules, though.

Owzers

Underwhelming is the perfect word to describe the Bendis X-Men run. Cool concepts that keep me coming back, but the execution is terrible. Pacing that's way too slow, stilted dialog and poor characterization. Art is gorgeous and Eva Bell rules, though.

Premise: Teen X-Men travel through time to present day.

Execution: Jean quit reading my mind!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And that's good! Always nice when things are better than expected.
Yeah. Thats one advantage, when you always expect everything to be worser than worse like me.

Also, my Deathlook 90s Mini-Series arrived today! Yeay! And I am going to get all books of the Silver Surfer: Requiem book from my coworker as a gift!

Top Bottom