• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Messi

Zombine ban is a perma .

tumblr_ljm5fbQ42c1qdtmwjo1_500.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Remember guys, what happened in the Black Culture Thread.
You shouldnt discuss to much about this unless you want to do a jean grey.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, my bad, but I'm gonna talk some comics here for a second: Silver Surfer #9 was fucking excellent. I think Slott and Allred handled Surfer's history well--quick, to the point, and then they moved on to the actual story in the issue. This book is still charming as everything and anything.

Got a question for more knowledgeable folks, has the Surfer's board always been a character? Like, has Toomie always had some kind of personality/sentience?

The surfer's board has sentience?

Also comicsgaf is for discussing manga, anime, alternate covers, figurines, and bitching about bendis. Nothing else.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The surfer's board has sentience?

Also comicsgaf is for discussing manga, anime, alternate covers, figurines, and bitching about bendis. Nothing else.

Fuck yes! And it has a name--Toomie.

Ultima_5

Can anyone comment on the Quality of the doom patrol omnibus? i'm debating between getting that or just a set of the trades. Is it sewn? nice paper et cetera

Bendis' ability to wrangle top tier artists to draw his stuff is astounding.

Immonen, Pichelli, Asrar, all the dudes who worked on #25. Remarkable stuff.

Not to mention he got ART FREAKING ADAMS to draw Guardians of the Galaxy With Some Other Dudes #1

Thats because Bendis is an A-list writer

tim1138

Yo, my bad, but I'm gonna talk some comics here for a second: Silver Surfer #9 was fucking excellent. I think Slott and Allred handled Surfer's history well--quick, to the point, and then they moved on to the actual story in the issue. This book is still charming as everything and anything.

Got a question for more knowledgeable folks, has the Surfer's board always been a character? Like, has Toomie always had some kind of personality/sentience?

Nah, it has always been psychically linked to Surfer, but it was never sentient. The silver is the same material covers Surfer's body and it's controlled mentally via the power cosmic.

Apparently Kirby was a fan of cosmic beings on sports equipment, because during the Fourth World he created the Black Racer. The Racer was a disabled Vietnam War vet named Willy Walker who was given cosmic powers to serve as the Death figure for the New Gods (not to be confused with the Black Flash who serves the same role for speedsters). Morrison and JG Jones did a nice job updating him for Final Crisis, but Kirby's original design of a dude flying through the cosmos on skis still appeals to me.

Filthy Slug

Nah, it has always been psychically linked to Surfer, but it was never sentient. The silver is the same material covers Surfer's body and it's controlled mentally via the power cosmic.

Apparently Kirby was a fan of cosmic beings on water sports equipment, because during the Fourth World he created the Black Racer. The Racer was a disabled Vietnam War vet named Willy Walker who was given cosmic powers to serve as the Death figure for the New Gods (not to be confused with the Black Flash who serves the same role for speedsters). Morrison and JG Jones did a nice job updating him for Final Crisis, but Kirby's original design of a dude flying through the cosmos on skis appeals to me.

Ah, awesome, thanks for the thorough answer. It's always fun reading a character I've never really taken the time to explore and backtracking. Also, I can definitely see the appeal of the og Black Racer--super creative and cosmically out-there, like so much of Kirby's stuff.

tim1138

Ah, awesome, thanks for the thorough answer. It's always fun reading a character I've never really taken the time to explore and backtracking. Also, I can definitely see the appeal of the og Black Racer--super creative and cosmically out-there, like so much of Kirby's stuff.

No problem.

I enjoy the Final Crisis update of the Racer, it's a perfect fit for that story and what Morrison was riffing on, but man Kirby's designs are just so imaginative and timeless.

Korupt commented to me the other day about how the Manhunter robots have a Kirby aesthetic in their design and it really bummed me out that we never got a Kirby take on Green Lantern.

No problem.

I enjoy the Final Crisis update of the Racer, it's a perfect fit for that story and what Morrison was riffing on, but man Kirby's designs are just so imaginative and timeless.

Korupt commented to me the other day about how the Manhunter robots have a Kirby aesthetic in their design and it really bummed me out that we never got a Kirby take on Green Lantern.

Literally have the omnibus in my hand and Hal and Guy just went to the Manhunters world. Ivan Reis destroying the pages. Can't wait for his Cyborg stuff.

Top Bottom