• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

What kind of awful alternate universe do you live in? This sounds terrible and I'm sorry. Come move to CA, people love nerds here.

Ireland. More specifically, rural Ireland. Dublin and the rest of Ireland are two very different things. I don't really like Dublin apart from the comic shops, the coffee shops (oh 3FE, how I love you) and the IMAX anyway. Big crowds and lots of noise freak me out fairly easily.

I actually like it here. I live across the road from a castle, FFS. It's small enough that I can walk everywhere, but big enough that not everyone knows your business. I have a great landlord, hopefully a good job soon and my family are near enough. I admit socially it's not the greatest but that's down to me as much as anything. I get spooked by loud noises so I can't really go clubbing (seriously, we were calibrating the sound system in the cinema yesterday and I nearly shit myself when there was a huge bang from one of the machines).

I'd like to visit America sometime though. Maybe if the job works out. I haven't been on a plane since I was 14 though, for both money and fear of flying/foreign places reasons. That "why don't you travel?" thread in OT really depressed me. When going to the next city is so stressful for me, getting on a plane to go out foreign gives me the heebie jeebies. I hate being on the spectrum TBH.

I do. But just only to myself :/
I just feel bad when I have to admit it or when I read a floppy in the public... Its one of those german things, comics are labeled here as for children only...
I don't understand this. France and Belgium have some very healthy comic book markets, how do they get a bad rep in Germany? They're very close to each other. You would think some of the attitudes would cross over

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ireland. More specifically, rural Ireland. Dublin and the rest of Ireland are two very different things. I don't really like Dublin apart from the comic shops, the coffee shops (oh 3FE, how I love you) and the IMAX anyway. Big crowds and lots of noise freak me out fairly easily.

I actually like it here. I live across the road from a castle, FFS. It's small enough that I can walk everywhere, but big enough that not everyone knows your business. I have a great landlord, hopefully a good job soon and my family are near enough. I admit socially it's not the greatest but that's down to me as much as anything. I get spooked by loud noises so I can't really go clubbing (seriously, we were calibrating the sound system in the cinema yesterday and I nearly shit myself when there was a huge bang from one of the machines).

I'd like to visit America sometime though. Maybe if the job works out. I haven't been on a plane since I was 14 though, for both money and fear of flying/foreign places reasons. That "why don't you travel?" thread in OT really depressed me. When going to the next city is so stressful for me, getting on a plane to go out foreign gives me the heebie jeebies. I hate being on the spectrum TBH.

Hey man, you ever come to NY, we can read Multiple Warheads--the one with the werewolf shlongs--in public together. Obviously we'll never make eye contact and pretend not to know each other while reading, but yo, it'll be great.

Owzers

I only loudly warn people about others in coffee shops if i catch them reading manga.

I wouldn't read comics in public out of fear of damaging them, maybe on tablets...i'm also worried that the slightest amount of wind outside would rip a Marvel floppy page in two.

I don't understand this. France and Belgium have some very healthy comic book markets, how do they get a bad rep in Germany? They're very close to each other. You would think some of the attitudes would cross over

Everybody knows sensible german peoples don't devote their time to comics. It is far better invested in wargaming. Cheaper too.

>implying you read them in private

0o2pAOF.png

Nothing says "I love you" like beautiful Nathan Fairbairn colors.

I would disagree, I think his work on Uncanny Avengers is far superior to his GL run. I actually had to look up his GL issues because I couldn't even remember what they looked like. I don't think his GL work is bad, but I think his aesthetic I'd a better fit for UA and he doesn't hit the same highs on GL that Reis and Mahnke did.

The big difference between the two is amount of panels and the way it colored. In his GL stuff, it's bigger, it pops off the page, more huge set pieces, it looks painted. His Avengers work is more detailed, but smaller because the scripts calls for more panels. The coloring is not as painted because there is more lines.

His Green Lantern Stuff.

https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/572873131393597442
https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/572873191221170176

Then I picked the pages with the biggest panels but most of the book has more panels and not equal to the GL stuff.

https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/572873256828448769

https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/572873315695505409

Messi

Last time I read paper comix in a coffee shop, it was during a spare half hour on a Wednesday morning. I had Drifter and I think Batgirl so I read Drifter so people would know I only read comics for adults

What the actual fuck, that's terrible

This hurts me deep. Girly hijinks are not just for kids.

Raife

My problem with current X-books is mostly just a dislike of the Schism nonsense. It would have been interesting if they did something with it, but they don't really. It just seems like a flimsy plot device to get more X-titles out there. I'd really prefer it if they brought it to a conclusion and focused on one or two X-books that are actually good instead of however many are out there now.

Other than that Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men also have really big pacing problems. Both books have had moments where they were good, but Bendis either doesn't get to a satisfying payoff
(The mutant revolution that Cyclops was supposedly starting that never really amounted to anything)
or just interjects complete nonsense.
(Mystique being married to Charles Xavier and them having a kid.)

I didn't think about it before, but I don't think I have been satisfied with the way a major arc has ended on either of those series. There are good ideas in Schism and with the time displaced X-Men, but they aren't explored fully and just seem to maintain the status quo. A lot of the stories have almost no consequence other than to rearrange the teams.
Kitty joining Cyclops' angry X-Men.
There has always been a lot of character drama within the X-Men books, and I would argue it's been one of the X-books strengths when it's done well, but it just seems like right now it's just done for shock value more than anything else.

I'm personally enjoying both All-new and Uncanny. My main complaint is that Bendis has a hard time differentiating each character's personality in their dialog. A lot of the time it can feel like the characters are talking to themselves. He also has a pretty limited sense of humor, but tries to throw in several jokes. A lot of jokes or conversation patterns are reused. He also doesn't really convey well why people dislike Cyclops. To me he hasn't done much that would garner the level of hate the other X-men have for him, but it is written like he is the worst person around.

Also how he handled the conclusion of the most recent Uncanny story was some major crap.

This was hard for me to get over. Every character's adamant hatred towards Scott is a bit incongruous with their established personalities. They forgive characters like Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey for doing such horrible things, but not Scott. If it was a purely selfish reason of Phoenix Scott killing Xavier rather than random beings on planets far away I could understand it. And it would be interesting to explore that struggle with them realizing they aren't as forgiving as they believed themselves to be. As it stands though, it almost seems like they are just written angry at Scott for the sake of having someone to work against.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I haven't been too stoked on any of the recent X-Men stuff I have read since Spurrier's X-Force ended a few weeks ago. Mike Carey's Supernovas trade was really good. I forgot who on here recommended that to me, but thank you.

Boogiepop

Gah. Stupid MH4U with its lack of voice chat. To make matters worse my group of friends actually all possess WiiUs, so we tried to get that goofy voice chat thing running... only to realize it only seems to support two people, far as we can tell. And my one friend doesn't have a mic for Skype. Bleh. Bleh, I say!

tim1138

Hey man, you ever come to NY, we can read Multiple Warheads--the one with the werewolf shlongs--in public together. Obviously we'll never make eye contact and pretend not to know each other while reading, but yo, it'll be great.

I thought this offer was reserved for me.

If she really cared she would have bought you the color editions.

got the first five, just waiting on Volume 6 next month

to think I was skeptical of these color versions when they were announced years ago, I should have trusted in Nathan Fairbairn more. It looks just fantastic, the only one odd spot is that one joke about Ramon's changing hair color

yourhair.jpg

to think I was skeptical of these color versions when they were announced years ago, I should have trusted in Nathan Fairbairn more. It looks just fantastic, the only one odd spot is that one joke about Ramon's changing hair color

yourhair.jpg
I hadn't seen any of his work when this was announced so it didn't mean much to me but I personally rate him highly. Obviously Quitely does too or he wouldn't have asked him to color pax americana. He has a great tumblr blog. Highly recommend giving it a look

I've never read Scott Pilgrim... am I a bad person?

It's pretty amazing. You should definitely try it. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life is a little slow, but once you get to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World you're cooking with gas.

You might as well wait for the last of the Colour Editions to come out though. I'll be getting the whole set then.

I've never read Scott Pilgrim... am I a bad person?

Nah, we're in this together bro.

I've got it, tho. It's here...somewhere.

Oh hey, i also got Just a Pilgrim, apparently. Looks godawful... why the heck did i get this.
-
Oh hey, it's drawn by that judge dredd guy.

fauxtrot

Banned
I really wanted to get a SiP or Rachel Rising tee as well, but I didn't really care for any of the ones that site had to offer.

As of right now, I have 3 comic tees: COPRA, Infinity Pilot (a kickstarter reward), and now L&R... it's fun working the Sac Comic Con and seeing if anyone recognizes them.
They never do.

this why ya girl choose me partner

I thought it was just because of your good looks and smooth talking!

Who am I kidding... JC is the complete package.

Messi

All about perception, brah. I was hoping some nice California girl would ask me about my great taste. Must've been an off day

I read Gotham City Sirens in public today. Fuck em. Who cares what others think.

Yo! That second issue of Secret Six was loads better than the first issue. Catman is awesome. Like the art too bar the last page or two that were done by someone else. Was gonna drop it after the first issue but I'll stay for the first arc now.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of the Sac Comic Con, this was the first one at our newer, larger venue (4x more square footage for the main hall) and it was a huge hit... I was worried it'd be a little slow the first few events while people learned where it had moved to, etc, but it was almost shoulder to shoulder on the entire floor 90% of the time.

Kevin Eastman was there and he was a super nice dude... I had him sign a print for me and chatted for a little bit about TMNT. I didn't realize DMC (from Run DMC, duh) was going to be there to promote his new comic, and he was incredible. He was only signed on to do meet & greets / signings, but someone convinced him to do a little set where he did It's Tricky, Walk this Way, You Be Illin', and a few other songs. He also did a talk about positivity in hip-hop as well as his love for nerd culture before his set, which was pretty amazing too. All around one of the best cons we've had so far!

Vibranium

Banned
If I lived in Cincinnati or had enough to visit there, I would definitely go to that con. I'd beg Noto to please take over Winter Soldier art duties and pay him for a ton of comissions.

Vibranium

Banned

Kirkman fired some serious shots over the Lady Thor thing in Invincible actually, he used the comic shop owner character to rip into Marvel.

Personally, it seems like a lot of people are caring more about the fallen Thor than the lady Thor these days. Her whole story has been bungled by Aaron so far if you ask me, and revolves more around the Asgardians right now. Hopefully things come into focus, and that Dario Agger guy is finally taken out.

Owzers

Kirkman fired some serious shots over the Lady Thor thing in Invincible actually, he used the comic shop owner character to rip into Marvel.

Personally, it seems like a lot of people are caring more about the fallen Thor than the lady Thor these days. Her whole story has been bungled by Aaron so far if you ask me, and revolves more around the Asgardians right now. Hopefully things come into focus, and that Dario Agger guy is finally taken out.

I think the Thor Whisper and Who is Lady Thor? stuff ruined the book for me. I had to double check, but i did drop the book, deleted issue #7 from my dcbs order before deadline.

It all started with Aaron's Original Sin, took Thor right down with it.

tim1138

Tim and I have another stacked Cincinnati Comic Con this year.

B_NiZvJWwAAPAll.jpg

Are they still announcing more people? I feel like they were announcing guests through summer last y3ar.

yourhair.jpg

Can't believe you doubted Fairbairn, breh. For shame.

Mumei

61lkt1WAQ8L.jpg

Picked this up from the library today! Looking forward to it after the recommendations. I also picked up Volumes 3 - 4 of the Marvel Masterworks series for The Amazing Spider-Man. Waiting on my request for Volume 2 to show up. I need to finish the Lee/Ditko run.

IST order:

Avengers Time Runs Out HC Vol.2
Claymore Vol.26
Copra Round One TP
God Hates Astronauts TP Vol.1
God Hates Astronauts TP Vol.2

So how did I do?

Top Bottom