• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Next week is Kanan: The Last Padiwan which is very clearly going to be the first trainwreck Star Wars book. I can't wait.

At least the art looks good:

Kanan_The_Last_Padawan_1_Preview_3.jpg

Kanan's grown on me a lot since the start of Rebels so I'm giving it a go.

Read volume 1 of Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Shit is all the way ace. Really impressed with the amount of detail for the Four Horseman and the team characterization. Logan and Fantomex are my bros.

I enjoyed it, but Fantomex started to wear on me after a while. Maybe it's just because I'm wasn't familiar with the character, but the series started to feel more like "Fantomex and Friends" rather than a team book. So much of the plot centered around him...

I think he meant Wilson but I could be totally wrong.

Whatchu talking about Vi? Miles is the real teen superstar!

You know what... we need more teen superstars!

This is true.

Zombine

Banned
Every Jedi is not the same as every force user. That the Jedi were all but wiped out was a pretty large part of the Canon (thus the whole "Return of the Jedi" being a big deal). Ignoring that seems particularly bizarre. Like, we're supposed to believe these Jedi didn't have an impact on the Galactic War, such that even the Rebels weren't aware of them?

I just want Mace Windu back with one hand ._.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I enjoyed it, but Fantomex started to wear on me after a while. Maybe it's just because I'm wasn't familiar with the character, but the series started to feel more like "Fantomex and Friends" rather than a team book. So much of the plot centered around him...

This is true.

I don't know, man. Pretty sure everybody got their moment to shine. Like there was some powerful Logan stuff at the end. Even Deadpool got his moment.

Every Jedi is not the same as every force user. That the Jedi were all but wiped out was a pretty large part of the Canon (thus the whole "Return of the Jedi" being a big deal). Ignoring that seems particularly bizarre. Like, we're supposed to believe these Jedi didn't have an impact on the Galactic War, such that even the Rebels weren't aware of them?

Space is big.

E the Shaggy

Well it was pretty much a given that it was Miles who was going to be on the team but....Miles joining the 616 is a terrible idea.

He can't be THE Spider-Man anymore, he's just A Spider-Man. He's essentially thrown into the mix with Kaine and Silk and everyone else with spider powers. You lose something essential to the character by doing this, I think.

Well it was pretty much a given that it was Miles who was going to be on the team but....Miles joining the 616 is a terrible idea.

He can't be THE Spider-Man anymore, he's just A Spider-Man. He's essentially thrown into the mix with Kaine and Silk and everyone else with spider powers. You lose something essential to the character by doing this, I think.

So's Pete.

Consider it a way to allow Pete to consistently move on from teenage demographic, since Miles will have that covered, finally freeing him up to become a 40yo Spidah.

I don't know, man. Pretty sure everybody got their moment to shine. Like there was some powerful Logan stuff at the end. Even Deadpool got his moment.

Right, yeah, and when that happened it was great, but for every moment the others got, Fantomex got something like 3.

I mean, it was still a good read, but a lot of it ended up centering around one character.

E the Shaggy

So's Pete.

Consider it a way to allow Pete to consistently move on from teenage demographic, since Miles will have that covered, finally freeing him up to become a 40yo Spidah.

Please. Everyone knows Peter is THE Spider-Man (hell, they even said it in Spider-Verse!)

If this actually allows for Peter to just be married again to Mary Jane already and start a family, then I'm all for it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Right, yeah, and when that happened it was great, but for every moment the others got, Fantomex got something like 3.

I mean, it was still a good read, but a lot of it ended up centering around one character.

One moment per brain Fantomex has! Also, tell me Uncle Cluster didn't melt your heart.

I thought Deadpool was the best part of Uncanny X-Force. Remender wrote him perfectly for that series. Him calling out Fantomex early on and his relationship with Evan were real highlights of that book for me.

E the Shaggy

I thought Deadpool was the best part of Uncanny X-Force. Remender wrote him perfectly for that series. Him calling out Fantomex early on and his relationship with Evan were real highlights of that book for me.

Probably my favorite X story of all time. Completely nailed it with that series (minus the Captain Britain shit).

Filthy Slug

Probably my favorite X story of all time. Completely nailed it with that series (minus the Captain Britain shit).

We don't talk about that arc, yo. We especially don't talk about the mess that Greg Toccini shit-vomited out onto the page for those issues. Some of the ugliest comics I have had the displeasure of reading. Dude Pham'd the fuck out for that arc.

tim1138

We don't talk about that arc, yo. We especially don't talk about the mess that Greg Toccini shit-vomited out onto the page for those issues. Some of the ugliest comics I have had the displeasure of reading. Dude Pham'd the fuck out for that arc.

The way you have slowly stripped all agency from Khoi Pham to the point that he is now only an adjective to describe shitty, phoned in art has been amazing to watch.

Deadpool and Evan was amazing, truth.

Straight-up Design Student's Orgasm. Decent art, mostly, but way, way too much of it.

Haha which is funny since Tocchini is an excellent artist. Just look at Low and Last Days of American Crime but yeah otherworld was not good compared to the rest of the series

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You're going to buy it and all the other Star Wars books because we can't help ourselves.

Their Output is at the moment not that big that I couldnt afford every Star Wars book next to my usuall Marvel Superhero stuff... I have to take advantage of the situation and like you said, buy it all :D

Filthy Slug

The way you have slowly stripped all agency from Khoi Pham to the point that he is now only an adjective to describe shitty, phoned in art has been amazing to watch.
Haha, I just can't deal with his existence in this medium.

Haha which is funny since Tocchini is an excellent artist. Just look at Low and Last Days of American Crime but yeah otherworld was not good compared to the rest of the series

I will say that it took me a few issues to feel comfortable with/enjoy Tocchini's art in Low. I don't think the book is instantly accessible or riveting or excellent, but as the world is revealed and the oh-god-no snowball that Remender always sets into action forms, it all clicks. No matter how technically pretty a lot of Tocchini's art, mostly in Low, may look, his storytelling and scene clarity is off. I find myself staring at muddled action panels trying to figure out what the fuck is going on at least once in every issue.

I've kinda grown to like that story arc. It was super weird to go to that story arc after all the craziness that happened with archangel. Tocchini's art was pretty hard to follow in that story which isn't usually the case with his art.

Does anyone else still mix up Black Bolt and Bullseye.
Can't see how that would be possible
Bullseye:
Blackagar:

Pity traveling from one end to the other is treated as taking a trip to the store.

Which is a separate matter entirely from being able to analyze the reams of data that one would collect from such an area, and then allocating the personnel capable of doing whatever you want done. Perfectly acceptable that quite a lot of midichlorian carriers would survive.

Plus doesnt all tha space wizard nonsense take place inside a single galaxy? Seem to remember that when the cenobites invaded, that was the rare case when they came from a different galaxy.

E the Shaggy

uncanny-inhumans-128837.jpg

Human Torch joins the Inhumans because REASONS!

Said reasons are further trying to put the screws to Fox. How the hell can anyone think otherwise at this point?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Finally read last weeks Turtles....
Donny is my favorite turtle. I was super fucking sad

Also.. Batman eternal

Really... "im the bad guy" "no, it's me" This series was a fantastic idea.. I even liked the Cluemaster reveal. It's just been a mess of execution and uneven pacing. Great issues followed up by bad ones. Some things resolve themselves far too quickly, other plots drag on for 8 issues. Probably would have been better paced as a monthly and cut some of the fat

Boogiepop

So I'm like halfway through the Johns Green Lantern omnibus. Geeze this a big book. There's been a lot of stuff in here that's solid but not exceptional, which I'm starting to think is Johns' thing, since I got the same feel from the Hawkman Omnibus (which they only put out 1 of, thus making it a book I have a 1 for that will never have a 2).

The bits I read last night were pretty great though. The callback to "For the man who has everything" (or maybe ripping off of, if you're being less generous), up through the stuff with Cyborg Superman and the Manhunters. BTW, I have never seen Cyborg Superman before, and man is that a weird character. It looks like his origins were a Fantastic Four knock off? Also, I feel at a minor disadvantage by not having read whatever has "the destruction of Coast City" since it just keeps coming up? Was it Mongul or Cyborg Superman who did it, since they both seem to get the blame here?

Also, is that Green Lantern girl the one I recall reading a Cracked article or something on, where she had some kind of crazy retcon to make Hal dating her not horrifyingly inappropriate? Because there was a reference to something like that when she popped up.

Said reasons are further trying to put the screws to Fox. How the hell can anyone think otherwise at this point?
Medusa's single right now, bro.

Also the guy that wrote the artile seems unaware that Blackagar already went back and was told to take a hike.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finally! After decades waiting since Heroes Reborn, I'm sure now is when wise and risk-taking House of Ideas Marvel is bringing back the ultimate Avenger, Teen Tony!
EXCELSIOR!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Coast City was destroyed by Mongul who was working at the behest of Cyborg Superman.

And yeah, Cyborg Superman was a weird character with a weird origin. He was one of the false Supermen who stepped up during the Death of Superman arc, and then tried to terraform Earth into Warworld or somesuch 90s stupidity.

When Hal came back to Earth he tried to use his ring to bring back Coast City but failed.. and like all of his Earth based supporting cast was killed when Coast City was destroyed. So he went nutso and became Parallax which was later retconned into allowing Parrallax to infect him through weakness.

And yeah, Hal dated Arisa.. who used her ring to age her into a woman even though she was actually a teen. It was very odd.

ReAxion

Also that lineup of Avengers feels very corporate mandated.

It turns out that diversity in characters translates to diversity in readership.

So Disney/Marvel is full on ignoring the part where Vader hunted down and killed all the Jedi except for Obi-Wan and Yoda, huh?

Except that was mostly the clones?

Probably. I'm kind of over everything else Marvel is putting out. It's all just to move the MCU forward for future movies.

Do you think that's what Hawkeye is?

Mudcrab

uncanny-inhumans-128837.jpg

Because no one can explain how this 'puts the screws to Fox' in any meaningful way?

If that's Johnny Storm and not the original Human Torch it still makes sense because of the classic connection the FF have with the Inhumans and with his recent-ish Light Brigade shenanigans.

And another thing, how can you guys be talking about Comics today instead of Pillars of Eternity?

Messi

So I believe Korupt mentioned it a few days back but what was up with the Detective Comics Endgame tie in being
a secret We are Robin first issue?
It was actually kind of cool too.

frye

If anyone, the main character of UXF is Psylocke -- especially by the end.

Boogiepop

Coast City was destroyed by Mongul who was working at the behest of Cyborg Superman.

And yeah, Cyborg Superman was a weird character with a weird origin. He was one of the false Supermen who stepped up during the Death of Superman arc, and then tried to terraform Earth into Warworld or somesuch 90s stupidity.

When Hal came back to Earth he tried to use his ring to bring back Coast City but failed.. and like all of his Earth based supporting cast was killed when Coast City was destroyed. So he went nutso and became Parallax which was later retconned into allowing Parrallax to infect him through weakness.

And yeah, Hal dated Arisa.. who used her ring to age her into a woman even though she was actually a teen. It was very odd.
Thanks, that helps a lot! Though yeah, definitely some odd stuff.

Top Bottom