• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

I'm trying to switch to another provider but the place I'm talking to in order to do so is giving me shit for it not being a "planned enrollment change", which I guess is once a year... March 1st, to be exact.

There's no generic version of the exact medicine I need, but there is something similar that might work, which is what I'm looking into... what sucks is next month I was supposed to switch to a patch version (of which there also is no generic form) because I've been tapering off this medication and the version I take now as well as the version I might have to switch to don't go any lower than 2mg... which means at some point I might just have to stop taking the medicine all together and go through 4-6 weeks of acute withdrawals. FUN!

Im really sorry to hear that, man. Best of luck with it and keep us updated!

Decided to start messing around with 2000ad stuff, but.... ye gods, don't even know where to start.

Went the obvious route, early Dredd, and it did not age well at all. Looking for recommendations. Don't particularly care if it's Strontium Dog, that weird "humorous" comic moore had going ages ago, Rogue Trooper or even more Dreed, just trying to find some solid arcs so i can get my footing.

Tips?

Zombine

Banned
Decided to start messing around with 2000ad stuff, but.... ye gods, don't even know where to start.

Went the obvious route, early Dredd, and it did not age well at all. Looking for recommendations. Don't particularly care if it's Strontium Dog, that weird "humorous" comic moore had going ages ago, Rogue Trooper or even more Dreed, just trying to find some solid arcs so i can get my footing.

Tips?

All of the Dredd Case Files from vol 3+, and Rogue Trooper. As for 2000AD itself, just start with the most current issue and go from there. It's like comic wrestling.

11 days into the month and I realized I've only been in this thread a couple times.

What... have I become.

Oh hey guys, Dark Circle is adding another character to its roster:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...rk-circle-line-with-the-hangman-by-tieri-ruiz

Hangman-14409.jpg

Sounds like they're going... fucking darker than Black Hood.

Archie Comics is ready to expand its superhero/crime imprint Dark Circle Comics beyond its initial three offerings with "The Hangman," a forthcoming series from writer Frank Tieri (recently of "Red Sonja: The Black Tower") and artist Felix Ruiz ("Wolverine: MAX"). The first promo image from the series will debut in print on May 2 with Dark Circle's Free Comic Book Day offering, but CBR has the exclusive first look right now:

Like initial Dark Circle titles "Black Hood," "The Shield" and "The Fox," "The Hangman" is a reimagination of a decades-old character, with origins dating back to the earliest days of Archie Comics. Calling the book terrifying but with heart, Dark Circle line editor Alex Segura said "The Hangman" "isn't a book for the squeamish," and compared it to Quentin Tarantino adapting a Stephen King novel.

"Dark Circle is and isn't a superhero imprint," Dark Circle line editor Alex Segura said in a statement to CBR. "We don't want to revive properties just to say we did, or to check off a list. We want to explore different genres and push the envelope with some of the best talents in comics and beyond. I know I had problems sleeping when I first read Frank's take. The fact that he's paired with Felix Ruiz, an artist that reminds me of greats like Sienkiewicz, Sal Buscema and more while injecting a new, off-the-rails energy to his pages is icing. This book will surprise people. It's not what you expect -- which is exactly what Dark Circle is about."

Tieri has plenty of experience with harder-edged superheroes -- having written Wolverine, Deadpool, Grifter and more. But in a decidedly NSFW statement provided to CBR, Tieri made it clear that "The Hangman" will be a different level than his Marvel and DC Comics work.

"This isn't Superman or Spider-Man. Hell, it's not even Batman. This is raw and violent and dirty and real fucking disturbing. This is the devil and demons and serial killers and the vile disgusting parts of ourselves we don't like to talk about. And yet...

this is also about redemption.

Oh, and by the way, just in case you were wondering, Spoiler Alert...

Yeah, a shitload of people are gonna get hanged."

"The Hangman" is expected for release from Dark Circle Comics later this year.

Black Hood 2 already came out? I haven't had a chance to go to the comics shop yet.

All of the Dredd Case Files from vol 3+, and Rogue Trooper. As for 2000AD itself, just start with the most current issue and go from there. It's like comic wrestling.

Having never followed wrassling, ive no idea what you mean by that.

Thanks for the tip tho, tracking down dredd case files.

Yeah it's definitely Jack Kirby.

Hehehe This needs to be a thing. Jack Kirby can be every single character shrouded in mystery from now on.

Also, I figure I wont be able to avoid spoilers for Avengers/New Avengers until the trades come out. Anybody have codes I can buy for Avengers 39, 40, 42 and New Avengers 31?

Rooster12

Anyone still reading Thor?

After a bit of a stumble last issue, firing on all cylinders again.

The first issue is great but the second issue is trash and turned me off completely.

Why is she talking like some 15 year old Teenager? The dialogue was just awful.

I will pick it up again though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Man, I love this cover to New X-Men #124:
New_X-Men_Vol_1_124.jpg

Also, Igor Kordey update: Still hate him.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
God did Marvel ever fuck up the whole Xorn thing.

The Xorn "reveal" was ruined for me a while ago. That happens directly after Morrison's run?

Also, I've been impressively good about avoiding New X-Men story spoilers even though it's over a decade old. Gotta finish this run up right-quick.

Zombine

Banned
Having never followed wrassling, ive no idea what you mean by that.

Basically, you just start. You don't have to go back and read 30 years worth of progs if you don't want to. It's basically Shonen Jump for stoned slackers from the UK.

Unrelated to comics, I just backed the $120 edition of the Ghostbuster Board Game on kickstarter. Who wants to get shit faced on comic con and play?

Filthy Slug

Basically, you just start. You don't have to go back and read 30 years worth of progs if you don't want to. It's basically Shonen Jump for stoned slackers from the UK.

Unrelated to comics, I just backed the $120 edition of the Ghostbuster Board Game on kickstarter. Who wants to get shit faced on comic con and play?

If it's NYCC, then I'm in. But only if we're drinking Ecto-Cooler and vodka.

tim1138

The Xorn "reveal" was ruined for me a while ago. That happens directly after Morrison's run?

Also, I've been impressively good about avoiding New X-Men story spoilers even though it's over a decade old. Gotta finish this run up right-quick.

Yeah, like within a month or two after Morrison's run ended.

Zombine

Banned
I know I already used this once today, and I promise I'm done after this, but:

God did Marvel ever fuck up the whole Xorn thing.
she's putting the helmet back on, don't fool yourself
They still haven't revealed who it is? Hasn't it been 6 months or so?
Yeah I am stil reading it. I absolutely love it. I don't even care who she is anymore.

it-was-me-austin-o.gif

bengraven

Anyone still reading Thor?

After a bit of a stumble last issue, firing on all cylinders again.

I'm really digging it, though I think it's kind of lame that they focus on classic Thor more than Lady Thor. Once they out the mystery of this, which they basically did in this issue, maybe we can see more of her than a few pages at the end of the comic after 15 pages of Thor angst.

Oh and I love the writing of Roxxon. "Tell me, do elves drill for oil?"

Zombine

Banned
I missed a lot.

Why the hell is Batman now Rabbit-Man?

BM-Cv41-36bbf-720x1080.jpg

That looks too cartoony. I mean Batman isn't even about that life. This entire book has been one massive disappointment after the next. I wish someone who could really draw, someone like Greg Land could take over. And Snyder? It's like he doesn't even get Batman and what he's about. I think they should give it to someone like Yost or Nocenti. Do the character Justice for once.

That looks too cartoony. I mean Batman isn't even about that life. This entire book has been one massive disappointment after the next. I wish someone who could really draw, someone like Greg Land could take over. And Snyder? It's like he doesn't even get Batman and what he's about. I think they should give it to someone like Yost or Nocenti. Do the character Justice for once.

Nocenti would be perfect. She could take Batman away from Gotham and on a world tour in a new storyline where Carmen Sandiego is the guest villain.

Wtf happened to the GL books since Johns left? Kyle Raymer dead and Hal Jordan back to being a villain.

I can see why johns has kind of given up on fixing books and just focusing on stuff he has control of like Justice League and the flash tv series

frye

Tips?

Here are some things you might want to try if you're looking for some accessible #classics with some fairly consistent creative teams:

Bad Company
Ballad of Halo Jones
Indigo Prime
Zenith
Nemesis the Warlock

I think most of these can be found in 1 volume collections. Zenith's only half-done being collected.

Rogue Trooper you can probably start with those big collections, if you're not feeling the early Dredds people who seem to know what they're talking about (i.e. this dude) suggest you to skip to Case Files 5 (famous for Apocalypse War, one of Garth Ennis's big influences as a writer and one of the reasons he thinks superheroes are for dumb dumbs)

With the current stuff you can just jump back a few months and pick up Prog 2015 (an annual-ish thing) and continue from Prog 1912 since that's a Jumping On Points Where Every Story Is New that they do every once in a while. Or just go in deep with the most recent prog, that's fun too!

Shonen Jump's a good reference point but while I'm sure stoned slackers do read 2000 AD, the primary demographic seems to me teenaged boys + old guys who started reading as teenagers.

Bii

Thanks for the well wishes, guys... I don't want to take anyone's money but I might need to sell some single issues / trades, and if that's the case I'll make a list for y'all.

I do have a copy Edge of Spiderverse #2... if only I had 6 of them, I'd be able to pay for the meds I'm out of on Friday.

Hope everything works out for you. Post up what you have.

mreddie

Ant Man, Howard, and Ms. Marvel were all gold.

I'll get Captain Marvel and Spider Gwen later.

I'm dreading Secret Wars mucking up the waters for awhile.

Shonen Jump's a good reference point but while I'm sure stoned slackers do read 2000 AD, the primary demographic seems to me teenaged boys + old guys who started reading as teenagers.

Thanks for the recommendations.

This whole 2000ad prog thing makes me wonder, has dc or marvel ever given this sort of publishing a shot? Seems like it would be a far friendlier vehicle to introduce readers to new series.

(also going from mangagaf sales numbers, they royally kick marvel's ass >__>)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks for the recommendations.

This whole 2000ad prog thing makes me wonder, has dc or marvel ever given this sort of publishing a shot? Seems like it would be a far friendlier vehicle to introduce readers to new series.

(also going from mangagaf sales numbers, they royally kick marvel's ass >__>)

From a bottom line perspective it's probably a loss for everyone involved, odds are they make more money from the singles than they would a magazine with multiple issues in it.

From a bottom line perspective it's probably a loss for everyone involved, odds are they make more money from the singles than they would a magazine with multiple issues in it.

Doubtful. This is last week's sales numbers
*1. 422,688 422,688 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.13
*2. 413,291 413,291 Haikyuu!! Vol.15
*3. 196,446 196,446 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.11
*4. 156,001 156,001 World Trigger Vol.10
*5. 129,183 129,183 New Prince of Tennis Vol.14
*6. 125,178 379,928 Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu. Vol.8
*7. 108,722 108,722 Haikyuu!! Vol.15 DVD Bundle
*8. 107,524 497,689 Saint☆Onii-san Vol.11
*9. *81,531 *81,531 Ookami-heika no Hanayome Vol.12
10. *75,768 138,752 Youkai Watch Vol.6

11. *72,613 659,433 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.13
12. *72,016 455,958 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.6
13. *71,210 *71,210 Kangoku Gakuen Vol.16
14. *70,324 349,243 Uchuu Kyoudai Vol.25
15. *66,321 *66,321 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Official Character Book: Meibo no Jikan
16. *62,288 532,314 Terra Formars Vol.12
17. *58,911 103,668 Ten Count Vol.3
18. *58,786 259,675 Hoozuki no Reitetsu Vol.17
19. *57,133 *57,133 Let's! Haikyuu!? Vol.1
20. *56,825 *56,825 Amaama to Inazuma Vol.4

21. *43,723 241,513 Orange Vol.4
22. *42,447 *42,447 Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8
23. *41,687 *41,687 Baki-Dou Vol.5
24. *40,534 *40,534 Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo Vol.194
25. *39,533 358,070 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8: Jojolion Vol.9
26. *38,103 143,541 Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin Vol.24 "Tokubetsu-hen"
27. *37,518 128,973 ReRe Hello Vol.6
28. *37,301 120,700 Marmalade Boy: little Vol.3
29. *36,340 117,252 Honey Vol.6
30. *35,567 *35,567 Mahou Shoujo of the End Vol.8

That's on top of whatever the jump style collections sell, and those titles at the top change every week. Going from january sales numbers, batman was #2 behind star wars, barely breaking 100k. Sure, these books generally come out on a 2 month-ish cycle, but even then they're well ahead in solo sales.

Another way to look at it is that marvel/dc should start properly computing collections into their profitability margins, obv.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Doubtful. This is last week's sales numbers

That's on top of whatever the jump style collections sell, and those titles at the top change every week. Going from january sales numbers, batman was #2 behind star wars, barely breaking 100k. Sure, these books generally come out on a 2 month-ish cycle, but even then they're well ahead in solo sales.

Another way to look at it is that marvel/dc should start properly computing collections into their profitability margins, obv.

The list your showing is equivalent to trades though, not single issues. By what you said, a single issue of Batman would land as #9 on that list. A 30 page comic, compared to all those that have upwards of 200 pages.

It's better to just ignore comic book sales, they will only make you sad.

It's nice to see Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun do so well in Japan, that manga is amazing.

Top Bottom