• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

frye

speaking of comic book sales, anyone get that new Ales Kot book?

The Surface? I only gave it a quick read through but first impressions: ehhhh. Maybe our resident Ales Kot fanbois will have more positive reactions

Langdon Foss is interesting tho, he's got some Seth Fisher, some Steve Dillon, even some Moebius in the architecture

ElNarez

Banned
The Surface was fucking ace. It's probably his most completely realized book yet, it's got that weirdness from Change and Wild Children, but it's all formatted in that immediacy he's got in books like Zero or his Marvel stuff. Formally, it's like, fascinating? And then there's just, crazy sci-fi worldbuilding, that's comparable to shit like The Private Eye in just how complete it feels. It's fucking great. Get in on it STAT.

yeah i flipped through it and the art seemed pretty nice but i'm trying to cut down on buying new #1s that i know i won't get around to reading

The Rabum Halal reveal was really underwhelming and frankly didn't make a lot of sense

How can Doom be Rabum Halal when just 2 issues before he was working with Molecule Man to enter a higher dimension and try and figure out why these incursions are happening? The Black Swans religion is extremely well established how could Doom have set that all up recently or even in his lifetime? He has been investigating the incursions since like the early issues of New Avengers and also why would he say to Dr.Strange "After all these years I never expected to see you here?" First of all he's probably seen Dr.Strange on a semi-regular basis and why would he be shocked? He obviously knows the Illumanati and the other heroes are trying to save the world and he would be smart enough to know the Sorcerer Supreme would go to any length to stop the incursions.

I hope this isn't an Armageddon 2001 where it was meant to be someone else and changed at the last minute. Seems like a waste of the Galactus seed from Fantastic Four #500 which was perfectly set up for this event or the return of the original Beyonder. Only way this makes sense is that this isn't 616 Doom but actually a Doom from another reality possibly a time displaced Dr.Doom from 1984 who got divine powers at the end of the original Secret Wars.

8bit

Knows the Score
Decided to start messing around with 2000ad stuff, but.... ye gods, don't even know where to start.

Went the obvious route, early Dredd, and it did not age well at all. Looking for recommendations. Don't particularly care if it's Strontium Dog, that weird "humorous" comic moore had going ages ago, Rogue Trooper or even more Dreed, just trying to find some solid arcs so i can get my footing.

Tips?

It took about a year for Dredd (and the entire comic really) to find it's footing, but from the Cursed Earth onwards Dredd starts to shine.

A good place to start on Dredd would be the Mega collection or whatever the reprint series that just started in UK is called, but I'm not sure how easy they are to get outside of the UK.

http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/#thecollection

As to other stories, Nemesis the Warlock, Slaine, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Bad Company, Zenith, Halo Jones, Sinister Dexter are all good places to start. Just find one of the collected editions, otherwise dig about the 2000AD site for freebies. Or maybe install the app, there are a couple of things to get you started in that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Rabum Halal reveal was really underwhelming and frankly didn't make a lot of sense

How can Doom be Rabum Halal when just 2 issues before he was working with Molecule Man to enter a higher dimension and try and figure out why these incursions are happening? The Black Swans religion is extremely well established how could Doom have set that all up recently or even in his lifetime? He has been investigating the incursions since like the early issues of New Avengers and also why would he say to Dr.Strange "After all these years I never expected to see you here?" First of all he's probably seen Dr.Strange on a semi-regular basis and why would he be shocked? He obviously knows the Illumanati and the other heroes are trying to save the world and he would be smart enough to know the Sorcerer Supreme would go to any length to stop the incursions.

I hope this isn't an Armageddon 2001 where it was meant to be someone else and changed at the last minute. Seems like a waste of the Galactus seed from Fantastic Four #500 which was perfectly set up for this event or the return of the original Beyonder. Only way this makes sense is that this isn't 616 Doom but actually a Doom from another reality possibly a time displaced Dr.Doom from 1984 who got divine powers at the end of the original Secret Wars.

Time travel dude, time travel
. I'm sure next issue is going to be the explanation.

Won't be able to read new comics til the end of the month, but wanted to say that the Criminal One-Shot was dope.

Brubaker and Phillips were flying high in that issue,
acid sequence was great.

I'm infinitely more excited for the new DC books than anything related to Secret Wars. Really hope these books find audiences and Cyborg gets a fifty issue run. Batwing got like thirty issues, Vic desrve no less. Only downside is we have Dan Jurgens, Scott Lobdell, Paul Levitz on multiple books in 2015.

Tizoc

MY HYPE IS REACHING CRITICAL MASS LEVEL
B_2SC5JXAAI8ygU.jpg:large

Effin's Sigma in the house, bitches!
Also Guile.

Magik was announced at NYCC.

But yo...is anyone else planning on going to ACCC? I talked to my owner and she said she's down. I think M80 was considering it as well. I don't even have to take any time off, they gave us 5 days for Memorial Day.

Do you mean Atlantic City Boardwalk Con?

I'm thinking about it.

Its a crossover with Jimmy and Amandas old Power Girl series where she had the boob window.

What? No its not. Its what happened off panel during the PG, Harley cross over from just a few months ago. It has nothing to do with crossing over with the old PG series.

Messi

What? No its not. Its what happened off panel during the PG, Harley cross over from just a few months ago. It has nothing to do with crossing over with the old PG series.

Then why is it using an old villain from that series. It is also leaping from the Harley cross over a few months ago.

Yup. Whatever it's called. The new one that Stan Lee is going to be at. It's going to be a combination of bumming on the beach, gambling, and the con. South Jersey is my second home.

Yeah it looks good. See I can get into and out of NYC faster than getting down to AC, I'd actually have to rent a hotel if I went to it, so I'm on the fence.

Then why is it using an old villain from that series. It is also leaping from the Harley cross over a few months ago.

You're making assumptions that its the same character. Hell they could just be introducing that character into the N52. The solicits literally say this is what happened off panel during issue 12.

Hey, remember the panel gutter between panels 3 and 4 of page 20 of HARLEY QUINN #12? What? You DON’T? It’s only, like, the most memorable panel gutter of the twenty-first century. Well, either way, have we got the miniseries for you, in which the full tale of that momentous and momentary pause can be told!
It’s a cosmic adventure beyond your wildest imaginings: Power Girl and Harley Quinn, stranded in a forgotten dimension, on the homeworld of the amorous warlord Vartox! They’ll sacrifice anything they have to in order to get home…except their dignity! Kidding! That’ll be the first thing to go.

Zombine

Banned
It'd be perfect if WB takes them to Amazon Prime to go with Batman and Superman the Animated Series.

If it does happen you know they have something planned. If I was Amazon I would continue to try to drive home the idea that Prime is worth the price of admission by acquiring even more unique partners. DC is a really good place to compete with Netflix and their partnership with Disney.

tim1138

Of you're not buying Silver Surfer, y'all are missing out on the best book Marvel is publishing and one of the best books by anyone, period.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dan Slott?

Ughh.......

If I were to judge him based solely on what I've read of his work at this point--Spider Island and Silver Surfer--I'd say he's a hell of a writer.

Even outside of that, Silver Surfer is just a fucking great adventure comic with a genuine heart at its core, and both Slott and Allred are putting in a ton of passion and skill into this joint.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ugh.

I would love to see Batman: TAS on german netflix. I dont even need the german dubs. But since those are lost, it seems very unlikely that they will ever appear on a german streaming service :(

Owzers

Avengers: Endless Wartime OGN: Playful Avengers banter combined with a dull story. Recommended for fans of the Avengers movie.

Of you're not buying Silver Surfer, y'all are missing out on the best book Marvel is publishing and one of the best books by anyone, period.

Something really isn't clicking for me, I enjoy it at times but for the majority it seems like a slog. I've heard a lot of people make Dr Who comparisons and I really don't enjoy Dr Who so maybe that's it?

Mudcrab

You are a crazy person. The reveal was awesome and makes sense for plenty of reasons we discussed in the community thread.

In fact most are hoping this theory turns out to be the case:

DrTraveler from CBR said:
"I think that we have our answer now. Fantastic Four 605.1 has us witness the destruction of an Earth, and a whole Universe, when a Reed/Doom hybrid loses control of an Infinity Gauntlet while under assault by that world's Avengers. That would probably be the destroyed Earth.

On it's own, that wouldn't have caused the incursions, but it almost certainly would have shocked the hell out of the Ivory Kings. We've seen Earth at the center of events that could have resulted in the death of everything before (Marvel 1602, Age of Apocalypse, possibly Age of Ultron). The 616 Earth even beat the Beyonder (one of their child units). It is likely that the Ivory Kings decided to heck with this. They decided to tear down the multiverse and build something better using the Map Makers to ensure they get everything.

Doom in Fantastic Four 611 finds a gauntlet and creates a Universe in his image in the place of the destroyed universe. As the Multiverse had already contracted, the forced in Universe could have caused the first Incursions by pushing together Earths "close" to each other. Thus starts the Incursions thanks to Doom.

Meanwhile, during Time Runs Out, Owen Reese the Molecule Man hints to Doom that he has a bigger role in what is happening than even he realizes and takes Doom back "to the beginning." There Doom learns two important things: His role in what happened and the fact the Ivory Kings have started to work towards destroying it all.

Doom realizes that even with Owen to back him up, he can not take on the Ivory Kings alone. He barely survived alone against 4 mad Celestials and so Doom sees an opportunity with the Incursions. Using the Swans (who he recruits using the Library of Worlds built by the Ivory Kings), Doom starts the great Game. The Swans will find each Universes Manifold, use the Manifold to CONTINUE to ensure Incursions happen, and build up an army of heroes and villains as the Incursions play out. Each destroyed Earth will leave behind a small trace on the victor allowing them to pick up rements of each Universe as they travel through the Incursions. Doom can then build Battleword, and his army, using those remnants.

This is where Val and Franklin come in. Franklin will do the actual building of Battleworld using the Rogue Planet he helps ensure goes back in time. Val is doing a lot of the planning behind the scenes to make this plan come to fruition. Once Doom, Val, Franklin, and Owen build the Battleworld, they can use the army of heroes and villains to take on the Ivory Kings."

Edit: Goddamn this post looks like a CIA document.

Top Bottom