• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Do you guys actually like that new Wondy outfit?

In these modern times, the old outfit's days were numbered anyway. It's not like it will be forever, at worst it will last until the next generation takes over at DC and pulls a "It has to be like what it was when I was 12!"

I believe that's called pulling a Johns.

Tizoc

I like SOME aspects of the outfit but overall I wish they'd write Wondy similar to Greg Rucka's run.

At any rate, have some fanart
xRr7EfX.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
Tizoc, I hope I never see Spider-Gwen drawn like that again...

*shudders*

Boob socks should have died in a fire over a decade ago. Can artists not help themselves when it comes to sexualizing every female comic character created? Ugh.

Zombine

Banned
Boob socks should have died in a fire over a decade ago. Can artists not help themselves when it comes to sexualizing every female comic character created? Ugh.

Personally I'm disgusted by the panels of heroes sleeping in beds with the opposite sex. I think it's time to be progressive and show them sleeping in separate beds like real life.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I like SOME aspects of the outfit but overall I wish they'd write Wondy similar to Greg Rucka's run.

At any rate, have some fanart
xRr7EfX.jpg

What the fuck happened to her nose-piece? That's hilariously bad.

Tizoc, I hope I never see Spider-Gwen drawn like that again...

*shudders*

I dunno, I kind of enjoy the artists comically missing the whole point of the character.

TBH, I didn't even notice the boob-sock thing until someone here pointed it out a few months back, but I'm bad at noticing things like that.

Personally I'm disgusted by the panels of heroes sleeping in beds with the opposite sex. I think it's time to be progressive and show them sleeping in separate beds like real life.

Single beds are just better, breh.

fauxtrot

Banned

I know you're joking but when a character was created in part to be a positive force for change and bring in the female audience that has been pushed out by the "boys club" mentality within the comics industry, it's disheartening to see people try to recreate the character with an unrealistic body type and in a submissive/sexualized pose. I'm fucking sick of it and it's disgusting... it'd be one thing if it was just fan art, but we see it on variant covers drawn by comic industry icons as well.

/feminist rant

tim1138

I know you're joking but when a character was created in part to be a positive force for change and bring in the female audience that has been pushed out by the "boys club" mentality within the comics industry, it's disheartening to see people try to recreate the character with an unrealistic body type and in a submissive/sexualized pose. I'm fucking sick of it and it's disgusting... it'd be one thing if it was just fan art, but we see it on variant covers drawn by comic industry icons as well.

/feminist rant

I could not agree more

giphy+(1).gif

/feminist rant

Preach it, brother.

fauxtrot

Banned
You guys must have missed the part in that Detective Comics solicit where Renee Montoya is back.

I'd usually be excited by this, but unless someone starts at least co-writing with Buccalleto, I can't really justify continuing to spend money on the series... it sure it pretty though!

I'd usually be excited by this, but unless someone starts at least co-writing with Buccalleto, I can't really justify continuing to spend money on the series... it sure it pretty though!

It's not official but Manapul has put on his Instagram that he and him co-create all of Detective comics now. I think it has been solid. Safe but solid.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So...

I have to think that Convergence is something different. I mean.. there is no way they are letting that Supes and that Batman stay around for more than a few months.

Whatever Convergence is I feel will be undone by whatever Darkseid War is.

It seems odd to me that major continuity shift would happen this quickly after New52 started.. and most critically before Johns wraps up his big JL arc with Darkseid War.

Like, it BatCop going to fight Darkseid now?

DC has managed to confuse me. So that's a thing.

fauxtrot

Banned
It's not official but Manapul has put on his Instagram that he and him co-create all of Detective comics now. I think it has been solid. Safe but solid.

It's by no means a bad comic, I just have a limited amount of funds to use on single issues (and even that may be disappearing depending on what I find out today regarding my medical insurance) and have to make the cut somewhere. I'm glad a lot of people are still enjoying the book though. :)

StoOgE

Their flash run was pretty okish.

I mean, they did that stupid thing with the Rouges becoming super powered which was never explored and retconned super fast. Gorilla War was pretty solid though.

Zombine

Banned

/feminist rant

I agree, and I believe that we need to see more diversity and fairness when representing females in comics, and I do think that some artists (Ramos) must have flunked out of anatomy, but feminism is about empowering a woman to do what she pleases and to be accepting of her own personal life choices. If an adult woman draws a female character wearing a boob sock because she thinks it's cool, then it's 100% ok and it defeats the purpose of feminism in general if men are going to be outraged on their behalf.

Take my girlfriend for example, she loves Starfire and her revealing outfit. She loves to get all dressed up in revealing shit because it's her prerogative. If she didn't want to she wouldn't and doesn't. But does that make her a bad woman for being into her own sexuality? No.

What needs to happen is inclusion. We need a wider variety of body shapes and personalities, while still letting idealized bodies be a thing. It's time for things to change behind the scenes where a woman writer gets as much work as male writers, and not having to deal with harassment in the industry.

I'm running, so bare with me for a minute here...but the moral of what I'm saying here isn't that we should ban boob socks, it's that we should be more diverse and accepting that people enjoy different things regardless of sex.

Boob socks are ok. So are men with ape arms and massive bulges.

It's by no means a bad comic, I just have a limited amount of funds to use on single issues (and even that may be disappearing depending on what I find out today regarding my medical insurance) and have to make the cut somewhere. I'm glad a lot of people are still enjoying the book though. :)

I see where you coming from, especially with better Batbooks on the market. I eat up anything Batman though.

Got my work bonus today and I prebought MLB The Show, Bloodborne, and set the money aside for the Orion Omnibus at the end of the month.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Their flash run was pretty okish.

I mean, they did that stupid thing with the Rouges becoming super powered which was never explored and retconned super fast. Gorilla War was pretty solid though.

I don't know guys, those two make bad comics as far as I can tell. All of the characterizations are flat and off, and their story-telling is shit. Sure, Manapul's art is pretty and the colors are nice, but at the end of the day, it's wasted on super pointless and terrible "stories".

Like, the best part of their Detective run was the two-issue story by Ben Percy and John Paul Leon.

StoOgE

I agree, and I believe that we need to see more diversity and fairness when representing females in comics, and I do think that some artists (Ramos) must have flunked out of anatomy, but feminism is about empowering a woman to do what she pleases and to be accepting of her own personal life choices. If an adult woman draws a female character wearing a boob sock because she thinks it's cool, then it's 100% ok and it defeats the purpose of feminism in general if men are going to be outraged on their behalf.

Take my girlfriend for example, she loves Starfire and her revealing outfit. She loves to get all dressed up in revealing shit because it's her prerogative. If she didn't want to she wouldn't and doesn't. But does that make her a bad woman for being into her own sexuality? No.

What needs to happen is inclusion. We need a wider variety of body shapes and personalities, while still letting idealized bodies be a thing. It's time for things to change behind the scenes where a woman writer gets as much work as male writers, and not having to deal with harassment in the industry.

I'm running, so bare with me for a minute here...but the moral of what I'm saying here isn't that we should ban boob socks, it's that we should be more diverse and accepting that people enjoy different things regardless of sex.

It's great that your girlfriend likes Starfire, but that doesn't mean that objectification of women is a feminist ideal, neither are unrealistic female forms that defy gravity and physics. It's not about making female characters in comics "less sexy" or "prudish". I would argue that Sex Criminals is one of the best comics from a feminist perspective on the market, and it's certainly not prudish about anything.

The entire Sandman run was fantastic, and no one in that was anything close to prudish.

Male physique is hurtful for a number of reasons, including Muscle Dysmorphia and the fact that most of the time this stuff exists because of male power fantasies. Muscle Men in comics are very rarely (if ever) drawn for the female gaze. The women are drawn for the male gaze.

I love comics.. but I don't try and defend the stupid crap they do. I tend to drop books that are too much for me to handle and try my best to ignore the rest of it. I have the same issue with video games.. ignore what I can, avoid the rest.

Again, there is nothing wrong with your girlfriend liking to dress like Starfire, that's an individual choice, but that's a far cry from sweeping a brush over an entire entrenchment of misogyny in the industry that makes it ok because one woman somewhere finds it to be not awful.

Your girlfriend has agency in the decisions she makes. The women portrayed in comics don't have agency to make these decisions because they aren't real, and as you point out.. often aren't created by women because they don't really get into this industry.

MG310

I like the Wonder Woman costume - plus it seems like it'll work with or without the black bodysuit. It seems like DC isn't going to force artists to stick to certain costumes across the entire line so I'm guessing we'll see that variation at some point.

DIck Grayson went all SNK on us.

Filthy Slug

My only contribution regarding that "Japanese style" no-nose having Spider-Gwen:

i4IKDjCogAYBX.gif

Zombine

Banned
That's far too reasonable, Zombine. FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Lol no. Not a fight at all. StoOGe and Faux raise points that are unfortunately a reality of both this industry and many others. Like I said, I'm running right now so my head is bobbing while trying to type this on the treadmill, but I think that we should promote a positive female body image by not defaulting to boob socks on covers to get men all excited, but for it to be approached on a case by case basis in a meaningful way in each individual book. What is the character like? What are her motivations? And most importantly...does this make any fucking sense? I would like to see a melting pot of people in my books of all different shapes and sizes (I.e. Terry Moore books) where you have something that anyone can idolize or pick up on, be it the beautiful curvy girl, the nerdy guy, the jock, whoever. I want every type of person to feel welcome and like they have a character just for them.

Edit: And ya'll know who my favorite lady in comics is...

5816.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned

StoOge did a great job of covering what I was going to say before I had a chance to even start typing a response, but I just want to point out that I wasn't trying to attack you at all... I love that we can have these kinds of conversations here (I can't think of another forum where my post wouldn't have started a shit-storm) and that's why I felt safe to voice my opinion.

Anyone expecting a fight should know that Zombine is my homeboy and we're more or less on the same page. I just might be a little more intense with my feelings regarding inequality / women's issues / etc... all I can do is support the changes feminist women want to see in the world, and damnit I'm going to express that whenever I feel it's necessary. :)

Top Bottom