• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Yeah she came out on Sunday IIRC. She made a post about it on tumblr and it got bunch of notes.

She also talked to some publishers about changing her name on some of her already published works. They seem totally for it too which is really great.
Ah, explains it. Was barely on twitter and not on tumblr that day. Awesome to hear that the publishers are changing the name, too

Zombine

Banned
1284123330_chris-hansen-gif.gif

fauxtrot

Banned
So it sounds like I should be able to transfer over to a different health insurance company that will cover my prescriptions and doctors visits, but that might not be able to go into effect until April 1st; in any case, if I only have to pay $800 for one month ($200 doctor's visit + $600 for 1 month of meds), I'll survive! Phew...

There goes the extra money I had planned on getting tattooed with, but at least I won't have to sell all of my possessions!

So it sounds like I should be able to transfer over to a different health insurance company that will cover my prescriptions and doctors visits, but that might not be able to go into effect until April 1st; in any case, if I only have to pay $800 for one month ($200 doctor's visit + $600 for 1 month of meds), I'll survive! Phew...

There goes the extra money I had planned on getting tattooed with, but at least I won't have to sell all of my possessions!

Hope it all goes well, man!

Owzers

That's great to hear, especially not getting that tattoo. Really, in two years you still think you're going to want a Kamala tattoo on your neck?

arkon

Read Descender #1. Disappointed. Doesn't really cover any new ground from the initial Image Expo announcement even for an extra-sized issue. Not enough there to engage with any of the characters either. Suppose I should be thankful the instigating event is shown about 10 pages in rather than as a first issue cliffhanger. It could have been worse. Bandit's cute though and the artwork is lovely. Still undecided about sticking with this monthly. Feels like another one I'll trade-wait or grab in digital sales. We shall see,

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Remender's Uncanny Avengers is losing me. This Planet X stuff has run out of stream and because it's yet another time travel story I have a hard time caring about it :/

As is WATXM, issue #7 in this case...oh great Idie or whatever her name is is emo again... and Logan is dying so he's a puss now and wants to go on dates with storm. The book is a shell of its former self, should have just renamed it tbh when it relaunched.

X-MEN #18 on the other hand is fantastic, really digging this all female cast, the art is great, and this new arc in space involves Brand and Deathbird, what's not to love

Read Descender #1. Disappointed. Doesn't really cover any new ground from the initial Image Expo announcement even for an extra-sized issue. Not enough there to engage with any of the characters either. Suppose I should be thankful the instigating event is shown about 10 pages in rather than as a first issue cliffhanger. It could have been worse. Bandit's cute though and the artwork is lovely. Still undecided about sticking with this monthly. Feels like another one I'll trade-wait or grab in digital sales. We shall see,
that's my biggest problem with #1s i buy, when they don't go beyond the pitch. indies are a big offender on this front

niiiiiice

tim1138

That's great news!

Earth X:

Just tried to read this mess again.

Jesus Christ, what the hell happened here? The idea of a Kingdom Come for Marvel sounds great. One of those instant-home-run ideas. But uh... no. No, no, no. Kingdom Come was fantastic. This is the exact opposite of fantastic. This is an awful joke.

Kingdom Come is a pretty easy read. Sure, it helps if you know the little ins and outs of the DCU, but it's a fine read for casuals as well. Earth X... not the case. I don't know what a Celestial or an Eternal is. Yet the whole book seems to be centered on this inaccessible gobbledygook.

KC's themes of responsibility, obsolescence, and a renewal of justice and hope are universal and completely comprehensible by normal readers. Earth X's notions of Celestials and World Eggs just don't connect on any level and left me feeling cold.

The art is also horrible. Yeah, it's a shame that Alex Ross couldn't come back and work his magic again. But even by normal standards, the interior art is ugly and thick and dark and hard to understand. It's an eyesore to sift through.

fauxtrot

Banned
That's great to hear, especially not getting that tattoo. Really, in two years you still think you're going to want a Kamala tattoo on your neck?

How could I ever regret Kamala's face (with the expression from my avatar) tattooed onto my own face? I'll look so cute!

On the comics front, I just finished Rachel Rising Vol 1 last night and damn do I want more! I need to go pick up Vol 2 ASAP. I'm really enjoying the fact that Terry Moore is letting his art shine and he does as much without speech bubbles as he does with them. The story is kind of a whirlwind right now and I still feel in the dark about exactly what's going on, but like I said before, you can tell this is intentional and it's working really well so far. The last few pages of the final issue in Vol 1 were absolutely brutal and reading it felt like that rare kick in the gut that you actually appreciate.

Anyone not reading this series needs to check it out... it gets the Official fauxtrot Seal of Approval.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Really enjoyed Lemire and Perez's Hawkeye #1. Fun dialogue, building on both Clinton's relationship with Katherine and Barney, and immediately straying from Fraction/Aja's more grounded approach.

However, I don't think that juxtaposing Clint and Barney's childhood to Clint and Kate's current adventures worked perfectly. I didn't see much crossover or thematic relevance, and the scenes where the past and present are directly mashed-up on the same page don't really work artistically.

EDIT: Fuck, I forgot to grab Descender at the shop.

Mentok

Banned
Hey Comics-GAF,

I don't know if this is the proper thread to post this into, so I apologize if it isn't. I'm selling my collection. 1 omnibus, some 6 hardcover trades, 41 softcover trades and a few single issues. I tried Ottawa Kijiji and usedottawa, to no avail. I have a feeling comic shops will try to lowball me even below what I'm hoping to get for everything. So before I post to eBay, I figured I'd try GAF.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack the thread, so if anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

EDIT: Posted my list in the buy/sell/trade thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155737402&postcount=1432

Cheers!

Bloodember

So far I like all the new costumes DC is introducing, except for Superman's, that's not really a costume, its just a T-shirt and jeans.

Ant-Man continues to be fun with #3.

So far I've enjoyed every new Marvel series that's started or restarted since January that I've tried. Ant-Man, Squirrel Girl, Uncanny Avengers, Silk, Spider-Gwen, All New Hawkeye, and Howard the Duck all have promising starts. Hope they can keep it up.

Messi

I need to stop reading 3-4 issues of a book and then trade waiting. Takes away lots of new trade excitement. I do this with nearly every book.

Owzers

I need to stop reading 3-4 issues of a book and then trade waiting. Takes away lots of new trade excitement. I do this with nearly every book.

I don't even like reading the first issue monthly and then buying the trade...but if i don't how will i know if i want to buy the trade?

Messi

I don't even like reading the first issue monthly and then buying the trade...but if i don't how will i know if i want to buy the trade?

Yeah, this happens me with image books a lot. It should be easier to wait as they have an awesome trade release schedule. But it's not.

Zombine

Banned
Not only was Spawn #250's writing rock solid, but the art on the digital edition blew my mind. Those colors really pop. I'm in to see what happens next.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
-Howard the Duck #1

Fantastic first issue. Got me laughing more than once.

-The Walking Dead #138

Don't know how to feel about Carl's Romeo and Juliet stuff yet, will depend on how he goes about whatever he's planning to do. Wonder if he's just going to do some recon or if he's planning a rescue mission Rambo-style.

This arc feels like it will be long but I have no idea what the conflict will be like because Kirkman seems to be purposefully avoiding any of the twists and concepts he used before. The Whisperers don't seem interested in attacking the settlements and only want to protect their own areas ("thousands" of them is worrying though, since it would mean those areas can get pretty big). They also aren't cannibals, etc. The conversation about rape was nasty, I wonder how fucked up their society will be portrayed as.

-Spider-Gwen #2

Good issue. Great art, and the story doesn't feel like it will be a retreading of early years of Spider-Man and will instead grow into its own thing. The villains dynamic is getting interesting and the whole
imaginary Spider-Ham thing was pretty fun ("how the FUCK is Spider-Ham here?"
:lol). I'm also glad they're focusing on Captain Stacy knowing her identity, which I think is a good spin on things.

Silk #1 was a stronger start but to be fair she already had a lot of setup ready from AMS. Curious to know how both series will unravel, I definitely hope both will deliver.

Hey Comics-GAF,

I don't know if this is the proper thread to post this into, so I apologize if it isn't. I'm selling my collection. 1 omnibus, some 6 hardcover trades, 41 softcover trades and a few single issues. I tried Ottawa Kijiji and usedottawa, to no avail. I have a feeling comic shops will try to lowball me even below what I'm hoping to get for everything. So before I post to eBay, I figured I'd try GAF.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack the thread, so if anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

EDIT: Posted my list in the buy/sell/trade thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155737402&postcount=1432

Cheers!

Just an FYI. Depending on what exactly it is, that Captain America Omnibus 1 could be worth a bit more than what you would have paid for it. You might want to sell that separately.

Messi

Anyone still reading All New Cap? I am really enjoying Sam as Cap and the art is amazing each month.

I also read Southern Cross #1. Interesting start and I really dig the art. It is really Cloonan-esque which shouldn't be a suprise. Some nice panel layouts adding to the story. I will stick with this one for a bit and see how it shakes out. Is it a mini or ongoing?

Zombine

Banned
Anyone still reading All New Cap? I am really enjoying Sam as Cap and the art is amazing each month.

I also read Southern Cross #1. Interesting start and I really dig the art. It is really Cloonan-esque which shouldn't be a suprise. Some nice panel layouts adding to the story. I will stick with this one for a bit and see how it shakes out. Is it a mini or ongoing?

I started Cap on the ebay discount dollar menu, and then when I caught up I didn't dumpster dive for my meal and paid full price for it.

Top Bottom