• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Zombine

Banned
StoOge did a great job of covering what I was going to say before I had a chance to even start typing a response, but I just want to point out that I wasn't trying to attack you at all... I love that we can have these kinds of conversations here (I can't think of another forum where my post wouldn't have started a shit-storm) and that's why I felt safe to voice my opinion.

Anyone expecting a fight should know that Zombine is my homeboy and we're more or less on the same page. I just might be a little more intense with my feelings regarding inequality / women's issues / etc.

Lol once again, not fighting even a little. I just think there is room for everyone to be sexy. Even Howard the Duck who in my opinion sets the bar way too high for creatures of the Aves class.

Actually, I'm going to boycott this book on behalf of all birds everywhere.

Lol those of you expecting a fight are gonna have to wait till May 2nd.

What needs to happen is inclusion. We need a wider variety of body shapes and personalities, while still letting idealized bodies be a thing. It's time for things to change behind the scenes where a woman writer gets as much work as male writers, and not having to deal with harassment in the industry.

Ross Sophia Campbell art. All kinds of body types. Curvier women are a mainstay of her Wet Moon series, which is a book I've been enjoying quite a bit.

Edit: Took a bit to find some art from the series that wasn't a bit too far on the NSFW side...

18.jpg
10.jpg

13.jpg
3.jpg

Lol once again, not fighting even a little. I just think there is room for everyone to be sexy. Even Howard the Duck who in my opinion sets the bar way too high for creatures of the Aves class.

Lol those of you expecting a fight are gonna have to wait till May 2nd.

fifitheduckhtd4.jpg

I like all the women.

I don't see you singing Death's praises.

death2.gif

Git gud, Messi.

fauxtrot

Banned

There definitely is room for everyone to be sexy, but when you're working in a male dominated industry drawing imaginary women without agency for your male dominated consumers to gawk at, the argument become pretty messy and that's why both of us (two reasonable people) can talk about this and come to different conclusions.

edit - Wait, what happens May 2nd?

Zombine

Banned
I just held a door for some girl at the gym and she hit her head on it. Lol...

May 2nd is the biggest line in the sand moment for GAF ever:

Line in the sand...

Avengers 2 or Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Pick your side. There is no both.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I gotta side with Stooge on this one. I don't mind sexy stuff, but there are right ways of doing it and more questionable ways of doing it.

My general rule of thumb is "Is she being sexy for her character? Is she being sexy because of a coherent plot that isn't just an excuse to do this thing?" Ok, that's totally fine. I think the new Batgirl book is written to make Babs pretty sexy.. but I feel her character is fleshed out and the ways in which she does it (and her inner monolog) earn it. I mostly felt the same way about the last Wonder woman run (outfit not withstanding)

"Is she being sexy for my own titillation?" This is where I start having an issue depending on just how stupid they've taken it.

Sadly, most of the time it's the latter.

I love me some Green Lantern.. but try to describe pre-John's Star Saphire to a non-nerd lady and let me know what her reaction is. Then explain the post-John's Star Saphire and let me know what the reaction is. It's bad both ways.

So, she has been taken over by this gemstone and now wants to murder the person who most loves her to prove women are better than men?

So, her power is derived from love, but that seems to be mostly dependent on how big of an a-hole Hal Jordan is being?

That said, I mostly just try to ignore it when possible. Same with any form of media... unless it's so over the top (early new 52 Catwoman) that I just can't stomach it I take it as a price of admission to my funny books.

Busaiku

Line in the sand...

Uhh, Age of Ultron is May 1.

I like all the women.
Me too
Ross Sophia Campbell art. All kinds of body types. Curvier women are a mainstay of her Wet Moon series, which is a book I've been enjoying quite a bit.

Edit: Took a bit to find some art from the series that wasn't a bit too far on the NSFW side...

I'm really glad to see her getting so many positive messages on tumblr for coming out as trans. It's not an easy thing to do by any means and she seems like a great person. I hope everything works out for her.

I'm really glad to see her getting so many positive messages on tumblr for coming out as trans. It's not an easy thing to do by any means and she seems like a great person. I hope everything works out for her.

I was very surprised by the news, as it wasn't something I expected. But there was definitely something about the art over the past years that made you think "this was drawn by a woman." There's a more realistic understanding of the female anatomy than you see from most male artists.

Zombine

Banned
I didn't hit her intentionally because of our discussion. I opened the door for her from the inside and she kind of got squished between the wall and the door. It was almost suicide by White Knighting.

PsychBat!

Banned
Interesting discussion earlier. Definitely brings a lot of gray areas in to the picture. It's hard to come to a mutual agreement on things. I suggest we get the ComicGAF of other universes and "solve everything".

In all seriousness, trying to find an acceptable outcome rather than a tolerable resolution is fascinating, especially on this subject.

I agree the statu quo on comics is wrong but don't agree with the direction people are trying to take.

In going that approach, it comes off as sex is bad, making girls with larger bust sizes feel worse and condemning them and pressuring another body type of skinny with no curves.

Put more body types present, get rid of the latex and one piece costumes, make sure the costume fit the character and don't just change body types completely.

How Ms. Marvel went fro a more plus sized bodytype to a skinny supermodel bodytype with her redesign.

This should be your tag

It really should. "Mr. Quinn" or even "Mr. Wilde" are also acceptable.

Line in the sand...

Like Proff said, April 23rd is Avengers day for Europe. I'd pick Avengers anyway since modern boxing bores me to tears and Mayweather's just going to win by decision anyway (I am one of those jerks that likes big KOs in my boxing). I'm getting my Avengers ticket for free as well, perk of the job. I still have to pay for popcorn though. Can't win 'em all I guess.

So...anyone else ended up seeing Howard the Duck sell out? :(
You mean like a shop physically selling out? Tate's had a ton of copies yesterday.
I was very surprised by the news, as it wasn't something I expected. But there was definitely something about the art over the past years that made you think "this was drawn by a woman." There's a more realistic understanding of the female anatomy than you see from most male artists.

Yeah her art shows a great range of body types and whatnot. The only thing I've read of hers is TMNT, which I love, so I'm willing to give more of her stuff a shot. Isn't she drawing Jem?

Yeah her art shows a great range of body types and whatnot. The only thing I've read of hers is TMNT, which I love, so I'm willing to give more of her stuff a shot. Isn't she drawing Jem?

Yep. She's drawing Jem. She also did the recent reboot of the old Rob Liefeld series - Glory, that Image put out. There's also Wet Moon, a standalone OGN called Water Baby, and her webcomic called Shadow Eyes. The webcomic is the only thing I haven't read. The rest of it is highly recommended.

Man, Shaft probably has my favorite character designs among all the US books I'm reading.
Just looks so good.
Glad to see more Liefeld defenders up in here

Me too

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Good for her, cool to hear about the acceptance and positivity

My hype for Deadpool vs. Thanos depends entirely on the creative team. The whole series of Deadpool's Weird Tales (that's my catch-all term for all the Deadpool minis since Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe) has been wildly inconsistent.

The only ones I'd actually call good and not "good for a Deadpool mini" are Hawkeye vs. Deadpool (this was actually great, but it was the regular Deadpool writer) and Deadpool's Art of War (that was Peter Freakin' David though, of course it was gonna be good). The rest are either middling or written by Cullen Bunn, so yeah.

Glad to see more Liefeld defenders up in here

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Good for her, cool to hear about the acceptance and positivity

Yeah she came out on Sunday IIRC. She made a post about it on tumblr and it got bunch of notes.

She also talked to some publishers about changing her name on some of her already published works. They seem totally for it too which is really great.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Bitch Planet is the answer to all your wants for body image acceptance and inclusion. Fuck the patriarchy.
Yooo. Seriously. Like, if y'all are interested in this angle of comics/society/humanity, pick up Bitch Planet.

fauxtrot

Banned
Bitch Planet is the answer to all your wants for body image acceptance and inclusion. Fuck the patriarchy.

I used to love getting off my Harley with my full beard, then take off my leather jacket and have this shirt on underneath... it doesn't quite have the same effect now that I have short facial hair.

bb453wp-w484h484z1-58908-trample-the-patriarchy.jpg

Messi

My hype for Deadpool vs. Thanos depends entirely on the creative team. The whole series of Deadpool's Weird Tales (that's my catch-all term for all the Deadpool minis since Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe) has been wildly inconsistent.

The only ones I'd actually call good and not "good for a Deadpool mini" are Hawkeye vs. Deadpool (this was actually great, but it was the regular Deadpool writer) and Deadpool's Art of War (that was Peter Freakin' David though, of course it was gonna be good). The rest are either middling or written by Cullen Bunn, so yeah.

Did you try night of the living deadpool? I loved that and the sequel has been good too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
With the
Thanos: Cosmic Power trade announced and the inclusion of the one Secret Wars I Issue where Doom has the powers of the beyonder in the Prelude Trade,
I am pretty sure Marvel kinda spoiled themself what will happen at the end of secret war.

In Marvel: The End, which is regarding to Breevort still canon, does Thanos wield the cosmic power?

PsychBat!

Banned
Night of the Living Deadpool and the sequel have been nice surprises so far.

Out of the Deadpool Killogy, I think that only Killustrated was good, with Deadpool vs. Deadpool a close second.

Deadpool vs. Carnage was dumb fun.

Top Bottom