• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Casanova Acedia #2. Fuck, this book is criminally good. That sequence with the magician is perfect-action-movie-opening status. I also really like the sunset orange colors permeating the main story. Give LA this nice about to get creepy vibe.

Backup story was cute and funny.

Also Howard the Duck #1 is perfect. Zdarsky's humor translates perfectly for this title, and She-Hulk cameos!

Messi

I started Cap on the ebay discount dollar menu, and then when I caught up I didn't dumpster dive for my meal and paid full price for it.

That's pretty much the highest seal of approval.

I actually think it's pretty cool that Allred did the art for that.

Yeah, it's a nice touch.

--

3-4 issues back on Batman Eternal. I think I am done. Feel like I have had my time wasted.

Cheska

So this week has been pretty big for comics, huh? All these redesigns, new series, creative changes, I love it!

Except for the new Supes design, not really feelin' that. But awesome Wonder Woman, and Kevin Wada on Catwoman covers!? YES!

So this week has been pretty big for comics, huh? All these redesigns, new series, creative changes, I love it!

Except for the new Supes design, not really feelin' that. But awesome Wonder Woman, and Kevin Wada on Catwoman covers!? YES!

Awesome new artist for Gotham Academy too!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1. New Superman design is awful.

2. Reactions as I read The Walking Dead -
I wish they'd kill off Gregory, what a shit character. Maggie's right when she says that he can't even poison someone properly. So, Lydia (?) was raped in her group? I'm still convinced she's seducing/lying to Carl to get him to help her get home/kill her group. Alpha? Okay, whatever. Feel a little sorry for Lydia, still don't trust her though. Carl's acting like a moron, he knew her A DAY. So Carl's going to go all Rambo on them? Or join their group?

Decent issue.

ARCHMPR-3-FC-FNL-4x6-a7bc9.jpg

Messi

No idea if it's a permanent change or not, but Mingjue Helen Chen is going to be the artist on #7 at least and her artwork is awesome and perfect for the series:

He is still being tagged in posts on twitter by Becky and Co. he even retweeted the cover. I'll assume it's a fill in artist (who also looks like her work is awesome). She is the art director at paramount.

Busaiku

Bah, should've checked to see what Amazing Spider-Man Special was gonna be before getting it.
I don't read Captain America or Inhuman, but I need to know how that burrito tastes.

Oh and here's the Spider-Man and the X-Men 4 code.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just checking in to let you all know that I still haven't read a comic since... Saturday?
Saturdays are pretty much my only comics days anymore. And even then it's like 1-2 issues.

So it sounds like I should be able to transfer over to a different health insurance company that will cover my prescriptions and doctors visits, but that might not be able to go into effect until April 1st; in any case, if I only have to pay $800 for one month ($200 doctor's visit + $600 for 1 month of meds), I'll survive! Phew...

There goes the extra money I had planned on getting tattooed with, but at least I won't have to sell all of my possessions!

So glad to hear it, man.

The outfits remind me more of Hotline Miami.

I've been playing Hotline Miami 2 (first game I've played in ages) and it's incredible. The gameplay is exactly the same as the first one (AKA absolutely perfect) and the plot is mindblowing.

But yeah, that cover totally reminds me of Hotline Miami.

I've been playing Hotline Miami 2 (first game I've played in ages) and it's incredible. The gameplay is exactly the same as the first one (AKA absolutely perfect) and the plot is mindblowing.

Went and replayed HM1, and, surprisingly, the gameplay is quite a bit different.

Namely HM2 is *way* faster. Also handles guns better.

But yeah, everybody should play HM1+2. Skill carry-over is excellent. You can absolutely trounce everything in 1 after finishing 2.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Went and replayed HM1, and, surprisingly, the gameplay is quite a bit different.

Namely HM2 is *way* faster. Also handles guns better.

But yeah, everybody should play HM1+2. Skill carry-over is excellent. You can absolutely trounce everything in 1 after finishing 2.

Ah, I hadn't noticed. I replayed a tiny bit of HM1 in anticipation of HM2, but clearly not enough. Haha

What I did notice is that the difficulty of HM2 is more of a continuation of HM1 than starting fresh. The first levels are definitely not easy. Not too hard either, but hard enough that you really have to think about what you're doing and do it right.

But yeah, great stuff.

Yerp, you got it correctly. It takes only a couple of levels until HM2 is at the challenge level where HM1 ended. Quite a wise choice by the devs, since the game is so skill-based that using the same difficulty progression would only mean that returning players would trounce the game. Reflex muscle memory keeps up surprisingly well.

With that in mind, i wouldn't recommend that anyone start straight off the bat with HM2.

Only thing that annoyed me was that the secret level in 2 doesnt unlock a secret ending.
---
While waiting for the dredd case files, saw that Alan Moore Crossed 100 thingie. Normally wouldn't bother with it, since most of the writers that tried to deal with that particularly IP are grotesquely incompetent, but... well, the old fart might be crazy, but he still got cred.

God damn it's impressive the care he put into things. All the different words that take a moment to understand, akin to mini-puzzles, the art direction (which, apparently, some artist that was on Fatman on Batman explained was all down to moore specifying exactly how he wanted each pannel to be drawn) that is so notably different from the usual Crossed gorefest, the absurdly quick speed with which he redefines the world...

Found myself quite enjoying the ish far more than i expected. Very solid read.

Still trying to figure out what "opsy" means, tho. seen.

Skipping that, but ordered the purple suited Catwoman :D

I'm know you did. The face on Classic Catwoman is freaking terrifying, though. I'm waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for that J. Scott Campbell Black Cat comiquette to go up for pre-order.

The Darkseid PF looks like it might be tempting as well.

I got... so many comics to talk about, but tonight, I wanna talk about Spider-Woman #5.

Personally, they should have just renumbered this #1 since it's a relaunch and a new status quo.

Anyways, I really liked this! A great read. Slots in nicely with the solo genre books that Marvel's been putting out last couple of years. I always love a good detective book.

I love the artwork. Javier Rodriguez is a great choice for this book. He's got a great, distinctive style. It fits in really well with the other solo books that Marvel's running, but it just feels perfectly suited for Jessica's story. Lots of nice shadows in between all the (failed) superheroics. Love how he draws Jess. I get a pretty heavy Daredevil vibe from the art, but it's a style all his own.

I like the tone they're going for, angling for a private detective story that's a bit lighter. Urich's a great choice for the hypercompetent Watson to Jessica's barely competent Sherlock. I like how Loveless writes Jessica's internal thoughts. Amusing stuff.

As good a debut (I'm considering this a debut) as Ant-Man? Nah, but I really enjoyed this!

Man, I read a lot of Marvel books nowadays. Spider-Woman's going on the list.

Spider-Woman
Ms Marvel
Punisher
Black Widow
Moon Knight
Deadpool
Daredevil
Hawkeye

GODDAMMIT AJA, HOW ARE YOU NOT DONE HAWKEYE 22 YET, THEY ALREADY STARTED BLOODY PUBLISHING THE NEW HAWKEYE TITLE. THE ONLY REASON I HAVEN'T BLOODY READ IT YET IS CAUSE I'M FUCKING WAITING FOR YOU TO FINISH.

SoilBreak

Banned
Earth X:

Just tried to read this mess again.

Jesus Christ, what the hell happened here? The idea of a Kingdom Come for Marvel sounds great. One of those instant-home-run ideas. But uh... no. No, no, no. Kingdom Come was fantastic. This is the exact opposite of fantastic. This is an awful joke.

Kingdom Come is a pretty easy read. Sure, it helps if you know the little ins and outs of the DCU, but it's a fine read for casuals as well. Earth X... not the case. I don't know what a Celestial or an Eternal is. Yet the whole book seems to be centered on this inaccessible gobbledygook.

KC's themes of responsibility, obsolescence, and a renewal of justice and hope are universal and completely comprehensible by normal readers. Earth X's notions of Celestials and World Eggs just don't connect on any level and left me feeling cold.

The art is also horrible. Yeah, it's a shame that Alex Ross couldn't come back and work his magic again. But even by normal standards, the interior art is ugly and thick and dark and hard to understand. It's an eyesore to sift through.

Completely disagree. John Paul Leon is such a great underrated artist and his work on Earth X is probably one of my favorites.

Also guys, the latest issue of Deadpool:

Was great. Wade brings the feels for me like nobody else. I feel like he's the only superhero out there that actually makes you feel true pathos and depression. His wins feel so much better for it, cause you genuinely feel a sense of relief.

I don't want Wade to die. I want him to win. Two more issues til it's over.

MCfllcv.gif

GODDAMMIT AJA, HOW ARE YOU NOT DONE HAWKEYE 22 YET, THEY ALREADY STARTED BLOODY PUBLISHING THE NEW HAWKEYE TITLE. THE ONLY REASON I HAVEN'T BLOODY READ IT YET IS CAUSE I'M FUCKING WAITING FOR YOU TO FINISH.

Just start All New Hawkeye brah

The new team is doing something completely different and it really won't affect your enjoyment of the previous run or anything. It's p good.

Zombine

Banned
2. Reactions as I read The Walking Dead -
I wish they'd kill off Gregory, what a shit character. Maggie's right when she says that he can't even poison someone properly. So, Lydia (?) was raped in her group? I'm still convinced she's seducing/lying to Carl to get him to help her get home/kill her group. Alpha? Okay, whatever. Feel a little sorry for Lydia, still don't trust her though. Carl's acting like a moron, he knew her A DAY. So Carl's going to go all Rambo on them? Or join their group?

Yeah, but one thing you have got to remember is that he is a teenager and
She blew his mind. Almost literally. She's got him wrapped around her finger because she gave him a little.

Hellers

Hal Jordan's retiring to become an MMA fighter?

Something happened in the latest issue of GL that leads into this. Something unoriginal and potentially very sucky but looking at that cover I'm thinking. Bring it on bitches. So I'll give it a shot and see where it's going.

Man, Shaft probably has my favorite character designs among all the US books I'm reading.
Just looks so good.

This book has been super good!
Like ive said before I don't even know if ive watched the Shaft movie.. but this comic has been awesome. The art is pretty amazing and story is good as well.

Tizoc

Howard the Duck was GREAT,
really hope we get to see him go on more wacky detective escapades like this issue after he escapes.

arkon

that's my biggest problem with #1s i buy, when they don't go beyond the pitch. indies are a big offender on this front

niiiiiice

Yeah. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a more substantial/denser read month to month. Doesn't feel like it will be though.

I think part of it is Comixology sales have done to comics what Steam sales did to games for me. Unless it's a creator or developer I adore and have to support I'm likely to just wait until it hits an inevitable sale months down the line.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Edge of Spider Verse is starting on MU, its actually good right?

Xis

Completely disagree. John Paul Leon is such a great underrated artist and his work on Earth X is probably one of my favorites.

I agree with this post.

Edit: I liked Earth X a lot, and was able to follow the story without too much difficulty. The follow-ups, though - I had no idea what was going on through much of Universe X, and I gave up on Paradise X before it finished.

Top Bottom