• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

I gotcha. So in some ways they're rewards for vendors who have large and regular customer bases. The premium is totally warranted in those cases, then. I figured the store owner was just a bit of a crook!

Less reward and more incentive to increase the publisher's own profit. Though if it's a 1:50 or something, a comic shop will usually jack up the price quite a bit.

It's an Absolute Edition. Super over-sized. They all hover around $75-$100. That's why DC loves 'em.

I have a few Absolutes. This is expensive even for an Absolute. $100 for 11 issues is a lot. Transmetropolitan, and Y: The Last Man are about $125 for 18-20 issues, while Sandman is still at $100 for 20 issues.

Zombine

Banned
More like Absolute Garbage am I right guys?

BYL_587IIAEiXLi.jpg

I have a few Absolutes. This is expensive even for an Absolute. $100 for 11 issues is a lot. Transmetropolitan, and Y: The Last Man are about $125 for 18-20 issues, while Sandman is still at $100 for 20 issues.

Well, I think branding plays into it. Y: the Last Man or Sandman, people might be like "What's that?" But Superman or Batman? DC is like "FUCK YEAH, we can give them less for the same price!"

ReAxion

I gotcha. So in some ways they're rewards for vendors who have large and regular customer bases. The premium is totally warranted in those cases, then. I figured the store owner was just a bit of a crook!

There's also crook owners, too. But at my shop they usually tell me what the deal was if I ask.

Raife

Deal is if Remender left it wasn't due to monetary reasons since his Fear Agent stuff was selling extremely well when he got big in Marvel with UXF.

And it also means going to shift more to Bendis's style of books.

Yeah, Bendis' stylistic influence over the whole line isn't something I'm looking forward to. I didn't mean that the money from their indies being popular pulled the writers away. Brubaker was doing quite well with Criminal and Incognito before he came to Marvel as well I think. I know Fraction had some tweets about some conflicts with editorial at Marvel and scaled back his Marvel work after that. I was thinking more along the lines that since they all have successful indie books, maybe having to deal with some of the editorial BS at Marvel isn't worth it to them. It was just conjecture though. I have nothing to really back up my theory other than a few tweets.

Hopefully Remender sticks around. I've loved a lot of his Marvel work.

Also. I found this at a used bookstore today. It has an X-Men comic and a pack of comic cards in it which I completely forgot existed until today. I would always study the price guides in these things and imagine the millions I was going to have when I sold all my comics in the future. (I didn't get a million dollars.)

eZjIc0tm.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Wizard and Toyfair were two of the defining magazines of my childhood. Wizard slightly less so, but Toyfair...oh my god. Mego Theater or whatever? Robot Chicken before Robot Chicken.

X-Men cards were the hottest shit back in the day.

I still have complete sets of a bunch of that shit in a binder. X-Men Series 1 AND 2, Marvel Universe Series 2, 3 and 4, and Marvel Masterpieces Series 1 and 2. I loved buying that shit by the box and opening like, 30 packs in a row. Good times. :D

My dad used to be a manager at a Blockbuster. Years after he left the job, he let me open a bunch of Marvel card packs that he got from the store.

I don't have any of those cards anymore. :(

Raife

I still have complete sets of a bunch of that shit in a binder. X-Men Series 1 AND 2, Marvel Universe Series 2, 3 and 4, and Marvel Masterpieces Series 1 and 2. I loved buying that shit by the box and opening like, 30 packs in a row. Good times. :D

Haha. You were a baller! I would save allowance for two weeks and forego candy to be able to buy a pack of Marvel Masterpieces. It was the first time I saw Bill Sienkiewicz
art though. Totally worth it in retrospect.

Boogiepop

So, what's the scoop on this Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus that's on sale for being new via IST? I recall hearing you guys talking about it. Is it more old school stuff where it'd be better to have nostalgia for it? Or is it legitimately amazing stuff?

So, what's the scoop on this Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus that's on sale for being new via IST? I recall hearing you guys talking about it. Is it more old school stuff where it'd be better to have nostalgia for it? Or is it legitimately amazing stuff?

I have no nostalgia for 90s Marvel and it's legit #classic. It's good stuff.

It's my favorite avengers run. Epic, classic and uses all sorts of characters and rotate in avengers fashion. And Budieks final arc of his 50 issue run was so amazing.

Nah, that shit is the real deal. It has seminal Ultron and Kang story arcs. Honestly, when I think of classic Avengers, I think of that run before any other, even though it's fairly recent.

Wait, is iZombie on tonight opposite Agents of SHIELD? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Also, good news! I totally forgot that I haven't read God Hates Astronauts #6 yet. It got lost in last week's stack. Yessssssss.

Boogiepop

I have no nostalgia for 90s Marvel and it's legit #classic. It's good stuff.

It's my favorite avengers run. Epic, classic and uses all sorts of characters and rotate in avengers fashion. And Budieks final arc of his 50 issue run was so amazing.

Nah, that shit is the real deal. It has seminal Ultron and Kang story arcs. Honestly, when I think of classic Avengers, I think of that run before any other, even though it's fairly recent.

Dang. You guys are tempting me. What's the expected Omnibus count? Will this plus the second solicited Omnibus finish it off, or is there more?

Dang. You guys are tempting me. What's the expected Omnibus count? Will this plus the second solicited Omnibus finish it off, or is there more?
Probably two volumes, considering the first one collects 1-23 and Avengers Forever 1-12 (I didn't know that, all the more awesome). That run is 50 issues.

FWIW, this was published in Oversized hardcover format and some volumes have been commanding a high price for years.

Has anyone been watching Powers?
I have. I didn't like the pilot very much as I thought it looked tacky, but by episode 3 it had grown on me. It is a departure from the book as even though the premise is the same, the characters are pretty different but it's a welcome departure when you're already used to the book. The biggest draw so far is that there are a couple of well done, ambiguous characters.

I'd say 2. Oh wow they included avengers forever mini in the first omnibus too? Wow. That's some collected greatness there. I'd get it but I already own the OHCs

headshot95

Neo Member
Really sad to see Zero ending but it sounds from the solicitation that it's an actual end to the story which is nice to see. I can't wait to see how the story wraps up. At least Sex Criminals starts back up again in June.

The ONE TRUE Spider-Man comes out tomorrow:

61ifTCewF4L.jpg

I can't wait to read all 3 hardcovers of this story.

Im still working my way through the Big Time collections, but really looking forward to finally getting to Superior. Slott can be a bit hit or miss for me but when he misses its not too bad but when he's on damn is it good.

PsychBat!

Banned
Im still working my way through the Big Time collections, but really looking forward to finally getting to Superior. Slott can be a bit hit or miss for me but when he misses its not too bad but when he's on damn is it good.

Superior was a big hit, though his current Amazing run shows that he's running on fumes IMO. Spider-Verse was cool, Coipel definitely being a plus, but the ending of that event was tame and rushed.

It's time for Slott to stop writing Spidey and soon.

That said, I can't wait for Renew your Vows. So I hope he stops writing Spidey after Secret Wars.

Top Bottom