• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Bii

I have an interesting story related to Ikea. A few years back, I wanted to get some bed stuff for my bro but forgot to check what size his bed was. So I called my mom and asked her "what's my bro's bed size?" This was at the East Palo Alto location in California and the reception for phones in the showrooms were spotty. She couldn't make out what I was saying so I repeated myself and raised my voice "MY BRO...HIS BED...." And before I could finish what I was saying, I can hear the panic in my mom's voice as she's screaming at the top of her lungs. I tried to repeat what I was saying "NO, NO, NO...MOM, MY BRO'S BED!!! WHAT..." At that point, I finally figured out why she was misunderstanding me. I guess it sounded like I was saying my bro is dead. :/

Anyway, I need to get some Detolfs too. All my figures are still in their boxes. I recently got the Batman Nendo and I might just stick to Nendos/Sideshow/Hot Toys stuff.

Baron and Serpentine are too I think. I'm only 20.

You guys making me feel old. I'm 28.

PsychBat!

Banned
I have an interesting story related to Ikea. A few years back, I wanted to get some bed stuff for my bro but forgot to check what size his bed was. So I called my mom and asked her "what's my bro's bed size?" This was at the East Palo Alto location in California and the reception for phones in the showrooms were spotty. She couldn't make out what I was saying so I repeated myself and raised my voice "MY BRO...HIS BED...." And before I could finish what I was saying, I can hear the panic in my mom's voice as she's screaming at the top of her lungs. I tried to repeat what I was saying "NO, NO, NO...MOM, MY BRO'S BED!!! WHAT..." At that point, I finally figured out why she was misunderstanding me. I guess it sounded like I was saying my bro is dead. :/
Oh you go to that one too?

kmfdmpig

I'm using a Galaxy S tab 10.5. No complaints whatsoever. In fact I've liked the experience so much I'm thinking of going all in with digital, because space is becoming an issue with all the floppies I have lying around.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the newer tablets really as long as the resolution is good and the screen size suits your needs. I wanted something as close to standard comic size as possible which is why I went S 10.5
I got the same tablet toys morning. It seems great so far. 16:10 is the closest aspect ratio to an actual comic. The Sony z4 Tablet is one I considered as well but the snapdragon 810 seems to be really bad so I grabbed a used tab s instead.

CBTech

On a side note, and I know this gets asked a lot, but what tablets do you guys use? I'm not necessarily looking for one that reads comics, I only have a handful of digital comics, but just something that is good for everyday use so I'm not using my laptop for everything. What tablets do you guys prefer?

Galaxy Tab S 10.5". Absolutely loving it. It is perfect for reading comics and other media. It is a little large so general browsing can be somewhat of a pain. If I was looking for a tablet mainly for general purpose/browsing with comics on the side I would have probably picked up the Nexus 9.

SoilBreak

Banned
You will never guess the first comic I ever got!

Amazing Spider-Man 502. The Issue, where Leo Zelinsky, the superhero tailor was introduced. It was a present.

My first one was probably Chuck Dixion's Robin #82

h1ifZ3h.jpg

my first comic was either the death of gwen stacy, that issue of ultimate spider man where norman threatens peter's family, or that silver age comic where superboy porked lori lemaris

it has been awhile

PsychBat!

Banned
Guys, I'm thinking of starting a YT channel of my own similar to that of ComicBookCast. I don't want to do that myself though.

I have two friends who I wanted to do this with me but unfortunately one of them doesn't feel like talking much and the other is ignorant when it comes to things like sexism and hasn't read a comic for over ten years, which wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't a complete novice at comic book terminology.

I have the initial idea of how to do this set up in my head and I thought who better to do this than with ComicGAF. Everyone has a diverse range of knowledge and a diverse reading library of comics.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Or post in the thread.

I'd truly be grateful.

tim1138

It's cool that Marvel acknowledged Nextwave was a thing that happened, but would you really want it to come back sans Ellis and Immonen?

headshot95

Neo Member
Thanks for all the tablet recommendations guys. I will have to just go to the store and try some out. Hopefully my old Nexus 7 can hang in there a little while longer.

kmfdmpig

Thanks for all the tablet recommendations guys. I will have to just go to the store and try some out. Hopefully my old Nexus 7 can hang in there a little while longer.
One very cheap but good option if you only want to do comics is a nook hd+ its screen is good and is 8.9 inches. It also has the right aspect ratio.

Boogiepop

I just read Batman Beyond: 10,000 Clowns, and man, what a difference a solid artist can make. Actually pretty darn enjoyable and a good read. I once more have hope for the run after Industrial Revolution near killed it off.

BTW, anyone know if it'd be bad to read the Batgirl Beyond trade before the Justice League Beyond: In Gods We Trust trade? I don't have the latter but I do have the former, and on Wikipedia the Batgirl one comes later in the reading list.

Messi

I bought two detolfs, a TV stand and a shelving unit that is perfect for batman black and white statues and art of war wonder woman statues.

Also I bit the bullet and bought the bravia

read some new comics last night. haven't done that in a while.

Chrononauts was good, especially the cliffhanger. Millar's kinda dialed down here but some of his visual gags are intact (and actually pretty funny!). Sean Murphy is pretty good.

Invisible Republic was the comic of the week bar none. It was perfectly paced, the visual storytelling was on point (Gabriel Hardman is a storyboarder after all) with some dope action scenes. It's one of the most impressive Image debuts in a long while. Loved this one.

Giant Days read like a webcomic, not just in terms of the art but also in that there's little in the way of a concrete plot but heavy on dialogue and characterization. I don't mean that in a negative way, but it didn't surprise me when i found out that these are webcomics ppl, and plus the art's really good, gets real cartoonish (while grounded) and expressive. Pretty fun, but I probably won't be keeping up with it.

Am I the only one here under 20?

19 here, brah!

Hellers

It's cool that Marvel acknowledged Nextwave was a thing that happened, but would you really want it to come back sans Ellis and Immonen?

Screw Nick Fury being an old dude. Nextwave is the true secret underbelly of the Marvel Universe. I bet if we followed the threads every single major event since can be traced back to that double panel with the Elvis Modoks

Because this is what they want

Guys, I'm thinking of starting a YT channel of my own similar to that of ComicBookCast. I don't want to do that myself though.

I have two friends who I wanted to do this with me but unfortunately one of them doesn't feel like talking much and the other is ignorant when it comes to things like sexism and hasn't read a comic for over ten years, which wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't a complete novice at comic book terminology.

I have the initial idea of how to do this set up in my head and I thought who better to do this than with ComicGAF. Everyone has a diverse range of knowledge and a diverse reading library of comics.

I'd truly be grateful.

A decent mic will be my next pick up after I order my PC, so I might be interested depending on when recording is.

I am 28 and never want to grow out of teen books.

I can't believe I'm younger than Messi, and not even by that much (I'm 27).

Zombine

Banned
image_zpsav9blxr3.jpg

This blew my mind. One of my students drew this for me and it blew my mind. He's only 8. He didn't use a reference.

Look at Obama creepin' in the background.

Many of you probably felt bad for Messi. That is because you crazy.

Baron and Serpentine are too I think. I'm only 20.

My birthday was in October. I'm 20 now.

I'd truly be grateful.

Can't see myself as a contributor, at least not at this point, but I definitely want to see how this turns out. Good luck, Psych, and whoever joins you. :)

Squire

Banned
I'm 22 and I'll be 23 in September.

I like teen stuff too. All the "millennial" writing and references in some of these newer comics is really doing it for me.

Hellers

DC's mistake was that the New 52 was poorly planned and implemented.

Marvel for a while were trying to say it wasn't a full reboot. I think the only way you can do this properly is to do a full and total reboot. Ditch everything and start again. DC had two major problems with Nu-52. First they didn't ditch everything which made chunks of it confusing. Secondly it was mostly balls (Although I'm quite attached to bits of it now).

I'll admit that Marvel seem to have a better handle on the story side of things so I'm not worried there. Where I am worried is if they don't do a total reboot we'll be in a DC situation where the answer to any question about canon is "Yeah. it all happened. Except the stuff that didn't. And the stuff that happened differently that we'll get to at some point and the stuff that now doesn't fit but we can't be bothered with so deal"

Looking forward to it though.

Sandfox

Marvel for a while were trying to say it wasn't a full reboot. I think the only way you can do this properly is to do a full and total reboot. Ditch everything and start again. DC had two major problems with Nu-52. First they didn't ditch everything which made chunks of it confusing. Secondly it was mostly balls (Although I'm quite attached to bits of it now).

I'll admit that Marvel seem to have a better handle on the story side of things so I'm not worried there. Where I am worried is if they don't do a total reboot we'll be in a DC situation where the answer to any question about canon is "Yeah. it all happened. Except the stuff that didn't. And the stuff that happened differently that we'll get to at some point and the stuff that now doesn't fit but we can't be bothered with so deal"

Looking forward to it though.

That was the biggest outcry about the New 52 so assuming we get changes big enough to warrant a reboot they will probably have things planned out better internally.

Top Bottom