• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

My first comic was some sort of X-Men (sometime in the late '90s)
That was when I was a little kid tho.

Since I've gotten back into comics about 1.5-2 years ago, My first comic was Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born (I think or The Long Road Home)

Mindwipe

So yeah, trying out a good chunk of stuff recommended by this thread, hopefully to satisfactory results. I actually decided to, for the first time ever, use Comixology to double check if I'll like something this time, too! Since I've picked up a TON of #1s and what not for free via various promotions, I decided to give Black Science a try before I bought. And yeah, issue 1 got my attention enough to go all in, plus that cheap first trade made the decision easier. (BTW, any way to make Comixology show page count+what page you're on? This was actually my first time using it. My only other experience for digital comic like things (not counting webcomics) is the Viz one for Shonen Jump and whatnot, and I was kind of missing the feature of being able to easily tell my place in what I'm reading.)

On Android? Tap the middle of the page and nav bar appears.

Oh, and Sunstone was considered, but had to get bumped this time around for budgetary reasons. Transformers Windblade was what did it. I put that in my wishlist after the last time I forgot it, and sure enough I would've forgot it again had I not checked the wishlist. I'm sure Sunstone is the better comic from what I've heard, but I need that complete modern Transformers set! (BTW, I was going to ask this anyway before going all in, but there are people in here other than Messi who can vouch for Sunstone, yeah? Not that I don't trust Messi's opinion, but it's nice to have more than one person giving confirmation on a title's quality before I go in on it). I swear I'll fit in next time if at all possible, though!

Sunstone is great. I buy it as a gift for my non-comic friends.

(Better than Windblade, even as one of the bigger TF nerds here - Windblade is great for the first three issues but has a ME3 level ending that was so bad they're already trying to soft-retcon it).

Being 32 my memory is very hazy, but my first comic was either the Marvel Ren & Stimpy's, an X-men comic that tied into the 90's cartoon or an issue of Spider-man that was about Pete's parents and the red skull being responsible for their death. God bless the days when I could walk into the local newsagents and buy comics!

Jeff Lemire, you tease.

4G3YPCT.jpg

arkon

On a side note, and I know this gets asked a lot, but what tablets do you guys use? I'm not necessarily looking for one that reads comics, I only have a handful of digital comics, but just something that is good for everyday use so I'm not using my laptop for everything. What tablets do you guys prefer?

I'm using a Galaxy S tab 10.5. No complaints whatsoever. In fact I've liked the experience so much I'm thinking of going all in with digital, because space is becoming an issue with all the floppies I have lying around.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the newer tablets really as long as the resolution is good and the screen size suits your needs. I wanted something as close to standard comic size as possible which is why I went S 10.5

Tizoc

I have a hard time pinpointing what my first comic was, but a book that stands out in my memory is this:

131.jpg

As a child, I was a huge collector of superhero action figures, and I always dreamed about them making figures of Frog-man and The White Rabbit. I can't remember the quality of interiors, but I used to read this over and over and over until the cover fell off.

I swear that character exists in the DC universe too lol.
...but wait Frogman is old and real? I wanna read that issue!

Yes.

The
evacuation of Earth 2's survivors from the doomed Earth has begun and they are trying to buy time for them to get away. Alan Scott blew a hole through Apokolips for the ships to flee through and Val Zod, Kara and Red Tornado launched an attack on Darkseid himself.

What comic is this taking place in?

Zombine

Banned
I swear that character exists in the DC universe too lol.
...but wait Frogman is old and real? I wanna read that issue!

It's not on CMX, but I check ebay to see how much it was selling for, and near mind copies are going for $5 or less. My childhood is literally worthless.

Literally anyone can write comics if you get your nose brown enough. Not saying that's what Lemire does, but he's a better artist than a writer for sure.

The conclusion to the Infinitus Saga was actually enjoyable to me. Sets up a status quo:
(Rann and Thanagar in the same orbit now)
and an interesting
time loop paradox

I'm also a sucker for the Brainiac / Kara pairing so I'll eat stuff like that up.

Zombine

Banned
The conclusion to the Infinitus Saga was actually enjoyable to me. Sets up a status quo:
(Rann and Thanagar in the same orbit now)
and an interesting
time loop paradox

I'm also a sucker for the Brainiac / Kara pairing so I'll eat stuff like that up.

I wonder what their baby would look like?

I'm not sure I can remember/find the first issues I read but certain comics stand out in my mind.

This issue of Classic X-Men (for some reason I started with Classic X-Men before getting into X-Men proper)

Classic_X-Men_Vol_1_10.jpg

Which kicked me off on reading a bunch of X-Men comics for a couple of years and some Superman at the time.

Then I really got into DC with a couple of Flash and what I thought was a World's Finest comic, which lead to straight up Batman comics. The World's Finest was an issue with Superman and Batman and dealing with kryptonite in gotham if I remember right. I can't find the issue though. Maybe it was just a straight up Batman comic.

3602412-%24%28kgrhqrhjfcfinfenp3jbsi-sibbcq~~60_57.jpg

29507-3790-32797-1-flash.jpg

Anyway after I read these I was talking to my cousin about it (he's like 9 years older than me) and he had me read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Web of Spider-Man #1.

CoIE basically solidified my love of the DC Universe, and Spider-Man gave me something other than X-Men to read in the Marvelverse.

Tizoc

I like the art on Windblade but I have zero interest in reading Transformers. Has the artist done anything else?

Not that I know of sad to say, though I've heard rumors she'll be the artist in the upcoming Transformers story arc.

If you can get it for cheap I say go for it! Treat it as an artbook ;)

Sou Da

I should specify that I was reading the Archie TMNT comics. To be fair to myself, I was a kid and all I cared about was that they looked like the toys and cartoon, not necessarily the quality. I assume the IDW series is more closely related to their actual comic origins?

It builds on the history of everything TMNT and is in my opinion, the end all be all of TMNT.

Mindwipe

On a side note, and I know this gets asked a lot, but what tablets do you guys use? I'm not necessarily looking for one that reads comics, I only have a handful of digital comics, but just something that is good for everyday use so I'm not using my laptop for everything. What tablets do you guys prefer?

Depends on what size you want for portability.

If you want a small tablet I do most of my reading on a Nexus 7, and it's great for it, because I carry it around everywhere and read most of my books on the way to and from work.

If I wanted a device to read at home something bigger would be better, so I'd look at an iPad Air or maybe the Sony Z4 depending on how tolerable you find iOS.

First comic...

Impressed that so many people remember theirs, tbh.

Mine was most likely some random Savage Sword of Conan ish.
Failing that, some horrendous Tex Willer comic. Gods those things were so ridiculously racist.

My first comic was a Batman comic and he was fighting something that I don't think was Man-Bat, but was a giant possibly vampire like bat. I don't remember a lot about it.

Busaiku

I haven't kept up with Secret Wars at all, there're so many titles.

I'm reading these though, anyone know which titles I should be picking up?
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man and the X-Men
Spider-Man 2099
Silk
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Woman
X-Men
All New X-Men
Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Elektra
Daredevil
The Punisher
Ant-Man
Thor
Angela Asgard's Assassin
Loki Agent of Asgard
Moon Knight

My first comic was a hulk comic in the mid to late 90s. I'm pretty sure it was part of the Peter David and Keown run. The cover was so awesome. I couldn't read English at the time so my mom had to sit down and read it with me to translate. I never had a chance at a non comics life!

I think most comics I got for the following years were from goodwill or salvation army.

Edit: looking over the the time keown was on the title, doesn't seem to match what I was thinking. I'm gonna try to find that comic!

Edit: found it! It was incredible hulk 448!the artist was Mike Deodato but it was written by Peter David

My first comic was Daredevil #270, released in September of 1989. I would have been eight at the time. I had no idea who Daredevil was at the time, nor could I have told you much about Spider-Man, who was a featured team up. The issue was pretty crazy dark for an eight year old, introducing me to horror type elements that blew my young mind. Daredevil has been my favorite ever since.

a7w757S.jpg

So I looked it up today, and it was written by GAF Comics Superstar Ann Nocenti. So I guess you could say Ann Nocenti got me into comics...Messi will be proud!

The artwork was by JRJR, and I considered it stupendous then and stupendous today.

Hey, can someone do me a favor and post the Batgirl Variant along with the Superman / Doomsday parody? I don't have time to go digging right now.

omgkitty

I distinctly remember having a reprint of this:

Detective_Comics_38.jpg

I was probably like 4 or 5 and I actually thought it was an original and told everyone so and even brought it to show and tell :\

Vyer

My first comic was Daredevil #270, released in September of 1989. I would have been eight at the time. I had no idea who Daredevil was at the time, nor could I have told you much about Spider-Man, who was a featured team up. The issue was pretty crazy dark for an eight year old, introducing me to horror type elements that blew my young mind. Daredevil has been my favorite ever since.

a7w757S.jpg

So I looked it up today, and it was written by GAF Comics Superstar Ann Nocenti. So I guess you could say Ann Nocenti got me into comics...Messi will be proud!

The artwork was by JRJR, and I considered it stupendous then and stupendous today.

Oh shit, I read this.

Oh shit, I read a Nocenti comic.

My first was actually my first three: Spider-Man #1 (McFarlane), Ghost Rider #1, and an issue of the black-and-white TMNT.

This week's comics:
fwU6FfQ.jpg

Earth 2: World's End #24: I'm very sad that they had to job Val-Zod to make this moment happen and I'm worried that he's not on the cover of Earth 2: Society, but this was a great moment for Power Girl.

D0XeBWe.jpg

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #6: Yesssssss. Momma's back and so is Nextwave. Nextwave should be one of the Battleworlds.

hnwul4H.jpg

Green Lantern New Guardians #40: So Kyle shuffles off
to die in Omega Men #1
, but before he goes he leaves the universe with a single Blue Lantern and several White Lanterns, each who hold a bit of the Life Equation. Good end to a meandering series at times.

All-New X-Men #39: Things and stuff. Cyclops and Jean Grey want to bang. X-23 may be sad about that. I dunno bro.

My very first comic was Shonen Jump magazine. I was hardcore into manga. Now, the only manga I read on the daily is One Piece although I do plan on reading through Dragon Ball and Ranma.
Hey, can someone do me a favor and post the Batgirl Variant along with the Superman / Doomsday parody? I don't have time to go digging right now.
It's just a satire cover, whats their to tell?

Oh shit, I read this.

Oh shit, I read a Nocenti comic.
I hear her Daredevil was alright.

E the Shaggy

I shit you not, my first comic was Dark Knight Returns when I was 6.

My parents saw Batman on the cover and gave it to me without reading what was inside:

Dark%20Knight%20Returns_595.jpg

It made me a comic fan for life but yeah, probably should have read the comic first, Mom and Dad.

Top Bottom