• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

shingi70

Banned
Love me some Gail Simoine on twitter but I can't think of the last time she put out a relevant book. Its weird she has this super dedicated fanbase but they only seem to come out to support her on big titles like BOP, Wonder Woman , and Batgirl books that would have good readership regardless. But when the movement comes out no one buys it.

Really hope Benes isn't the artist on Batgirl and even if their is a creative shift it's more in tone with Burnside Babs then anything that came before.

mreddie

Love me some Gail Simoine on twitter but I can't think of the last time she put out a relevant book. Its weird she has this super dedicated fanbase but they only seem to come out to support her on big titles like BOP, Wonder Woman , and Batgirl books that would have good readership regardless. But when the movement comes out no one buys it.

Really hope Benes isn't the artist on Batgirl and even if their is a creative shift it's more in tone with Burnside Babs then anything that came before.

Same with KSD and Bennett, both have a huge fanbase yet their books I assume are only read by tumbleweeds,

Messi

I suppose you aren't reading Secret Six then.

I think it's a bit much to say the whole tumblr fanbase for those creators just steal their content when it's easy to do a quick search through those tags and find a lot of fans posting pictures of their copies and whatnot. I just did a quick search through the Insexts tag, for example, and saw some posts from Bennett fans complaining about how it wasn't available for sale digitally in their countries because they want to read it.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people who pirate their comics on there, but I think it's kinda unfair to generalize like that.

Sandfox

I think it's a bit much to say the whole tumblr fanbase for those creators just steal their content when it's easy to do a quick search through those tags and find a lot of fans posting pictures of their copies and whatnot. I just did a quick search through the Insexts tag, for example, and saw some posts from Bennett fans complaining about how it wasn't available for sale digitally in their countries because they want to read it.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people who pirate their comics on there, but I think it's kinda unfair to generalize like that.

I'm not saying that they all pirate. A lof of them share as well, which requires people to buy the comics.

Man, I just realized that all of the current X-books are disappointment incarnate. Unless you count the Wolverine titles. I suppose Worst X-Man Ever counts, so not all of the X-books, just about 50-75%, depending on whether or not you count the Wolverine books.

Sandfox

Man, I just realized that all of the current X-books are disappointment incarnate. Unless you count the Wolverine titles. I suppose Worst X-Man Ever counts, so not all of the X-books, just about 50-75%, depending on whether or not you count the Wolverine books.

I'm behind, but I thought All-New X-Men was good and Deadpool is still quality IMO. The other team books have been meh though.

Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets
Again, a very good book, however there wasn't a lot of action. However the way Larocca draws, there's a ton of tension. He draws everything so well: the Empire's cold and sterile environment; the imposing shadow of Vader; Aphra's emotions and how fucking terrifying Triple-Zero is.

I'm having issues with the plot, though:
Vader sets Aphra up to build an army of droids in order to have a private army. Fine, I buy it easily. However, why the bounty hunters? Seems odd. Aphra has connections, so why bother paying and recruiting a bunch of bounty hunters? To continue hunting leads? I suppose, but Aphra is spending a shit ton in order to gain info from The Ante. Plus, the wookie (whose name consistently eludes me) has an additional term added (helping him get his). So I'm lost. I mean I could be reading it all entirely wrong, but the scene seemed odd to me. Especially considering he was about to kill Aphra, who was essentially his middleman connection to the underworld.

Regardless, it's still extremely good. The tension is high, especially between Vader and his new investigator.

Will keep reading
07-DV07.png

I'm having issues with the plot, though:
Vader sets Aphra up to build an army of droids in order to have a private army. Fine, I buy it easily. However, why the bounty hunters? Seems odd. Aphra has connections, so why bother paying and recruiting a bunch of bounty hunters? To continue hunting leads? I suppose, but Aphra is spending a shit ton in order to gain info from The Ante. Plus, the wookie (whose name consistently eludes me) has an additional term added (helping him get his). So I'm lost. I mean I could be reading it all entirely wrong, but the scene seemed odd to me. Especially considering he was about to kill Aphra, who was essentially his middleman connection to the underworld.

Regardless, it's still extremely good. The tension is high, especially between Vader and his new investigator.

Will keep reading

It's a really fun book. I think I preferred the first arc but I still enjoyed the second.

There's a few reasons why Aphra brought the bounty hunters in. Using a two-man team against the cruiser wouldn't have worked and they end up conning the bounty hunters in a way by taking the majority of the credits. She couldn't have done that with connections she'd trust and regularly work with. They needed the credits so Aphra could get Luke's location out of the Ante. Vader's keeping her alive at the moment because she still managed to get what he wanted, even if she did almost get caught doing it. When she asked if Vader would kill her in the first arc, he says he will when she's no longer useful. Wonder how much longer that'll be.

Speaking of Vader I just finished #17.
Even Tagge is turning on Vader? I don't think this is going to end well for Cylo. Not that I'll be sad to see the back of him. I love how Vader was so dismissive of Aiolin. "It's not worth my time to train you, bugger off."

tim1138

I like how y'all think there's only like three Brazilian artists in comics. I wouldn't be surprised if DC swiped Natacha Bustos away from Devil Dinosaur for Batgirl.

What was Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run like in comparison to Greg Rucka's?

I read The Circle and enjoyed it alot, but ugh Greg Rucka's WW was awesome.

I had no idea people were so divided about
her killing Maxwell Lord though
(dunno if I should spoiler).

Tizoc

Her run was good def check it out along with her birss of prey run

tim1138

It's good. I'd argue that it, Rucka, and Perez are the only post Crisis Wonder Woman runs that are truly essential (including the highly overrated Azzarello run). I haven't read a lot of Pre Crisis WW comics, other than the weird Denny O'Neil run where she's powerless and runs a fashion boutique, so I can't comment on any essential runs from that era.

Zombine

Banned

Yeah. So tired of Sony trying to sell these average-at-best white girls as the obsession of Peter Parker and a model/actor that NYC is obsessed with lol. Yeah right.

Not only do we get to shake shit up with someone other than a boring white girl as the lead, but she's genuinely beautiful and I totally buy her as someone aspiring to model. Not that hilarious shit from Raimi's Spider-Man.

Zendaya-tapped-to-star-in-new-Disney-Channel-spy-comedy.jpg

She's got it.

RIP in peace X-Men team books

shingi70

Banned
Kirsten Dunst is a babe

Not in the Mary Jane way who is someone who is a bombshell. Dunst looks wise was more of a Gwen Stacy or Liz Allen.

Even Woodley doesn't fit the mold, Zendyaya has that striking beatuty that MJ has and the other two do.

Even in the amazing films Stone could have done either Gwen or MJ.

I mean, fwiw, my RPG group has a pretty much universal tumblr addiction and they pirate just about all their comics, and so do the people they talk to about comics on tumblr. Of course some people buy them, but the majority I think do not.

So is Robbi Rodriguez pulling an F.B.P. on Spider-Gwen?

Bengal seems to be doing art for #7 & #8 that I see... I dont know much of Bengal's work, it looks good.
But the only reason I gave one shat about Spider Gwen was for Robbis art....

Pretty sure I just dropped this book :/

Top Bottom