• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

I heard. :(

When I read the headline, I first thought of last election's Republican VP candidate.

image.php

How are you liking it? I have the first two trades, and I can only read a few issues into it, then I stop for three months.

I made a more detailed post last night, but I love it. I've been a fan of Fiffe's art (especially his coloring) since I first saw it and the overall story for the series has been very good so far. There's no bullshit to it and it's just an engaging read.

Boogiepop

Ugh. I'm making another IST order this week regardless, but do I want to pay $60 for 400 pages? That's kinda crazy Marvel pricing.

Regardless of how you get it, Elektra Assassin is straight up essential reading and absolutely amazing. Seriously fantastic and one of the masterpieces of comics in general.

Owzers

PC culture couldn't settle on just attacking my Trump, they are now turning their gaze towards Sharapova. Yet anime gifs are still posted freely here? Ridiculous.

Owzers

This doesn't sound like comic talk. We are talkimg about comics today.

but there's a democratic town hall hosted by Fox on now and Raw is tonight, why are you doing this....it doesn't make sense.

Fine, comics. I read issue #11 of Inhumans on MU, I want to like the inhumans but i'm struggling to stay interested in old continuity black bolt popping up randomly/medusa shenanigans. Plus she was inverted.

Eh, there's good art in basically every era for comics. I love the way Silver/Bronze age stuff looks personally, and even if I'm not crazy for the muscled out aesthetics that were huge in the 90s, there's still plenty to love with Vertigo and independent/alternative publishers.
Yeah old school art is an acquired taste nowadays. I started reading comics around 9 or so, and I was lucky enough to start with Claremont's Uncanny and the OG Avengers in the Essential volumes. So I have an appreciation for that despite the fact that I started in the early 00's (yup I'm a wee 24).

It's why I always recommend older stuff to people looking to get kids into comics now.

Boogiepop

Well that's a glowing endorsement.

Yeah. It was one of those books where I read it for the first time (actually not incredibly long ago) and just had that feeling that I had experienced something special. Like, the kind of book where I got to the end and just wanted to talk to someone about it. It's definitely a bit of an odd one so I can see it being possible for someone to not like it, but I certainly enjoyed it a ton (which was a great surprise as I kind of sort of mainly grabbed it to "complete" my Miller Daredevil collection, so it was an awesome twist when it ended up easily my favorite of that clump of classic stuff).

tim1138

Eh, there's good art in basically every era for comics. I love the way Silver/Bronze age stuff looks personally, and even if I'm not crazy for the muscled out aesthetics that were huge in the 90s, there's still plenty to love with Vertigo and independent/alternative publishers.

This is a good post.

Yeah. It was one of those books where I read it for the first time (actually not incredibly long ago) and just had that feeling that I had experienced something special. Like, the kind of book where I got to the end and just wanted to talk to someone about it. It's definitely a bit of an odd one so I can see it being possible for someone to not like it, but I certainly enjoyed it a ton (which was a great surprise as I kind of sort of mainly grabbed it to "complete" my Miller Daredevil collection, so it was an awesome twist when it ended up easily my favorite of that clump of classic stuff).

I'm really tempted to check it out. Will probably order with the Crossed +100 Vol.2 tpb.

This isn't the same series that was released a ways back as the Elektra Complete Collection, was it?

This is a good post.

Well, hey. One good post for March and we still have three weeks left! Good job, ComicGAF.

Zombine

Banned
I'm notorious for my stance on comic art. I prefer the classic stuff over modern art. There are a bunch of artists that impress me, but nothing comes close to Kirby, Perez, Byrne, etc.

Jimmie Robinson comics are on sale on CMX. I liked Five Weapons a whole bunch but it's hard to recommend because it ends suuuuuuper anticlimactic since it was cut from 15 issues to 10 issues... on issue 9. So, yeah, not enough time to wrap up everything that was introduced. First 5 issues are a solid arc though.

Amazing Spider-Man and Silk continues to be pretty fun as well. Good art too, Todd Nauck does the first two and the fourth, and Tom Grummet/Geoffo fill-in. Light stuff but enjoyable

VanWinkle

Just started Daredevil by Bendis Ultimate Collection Vol 1, and these David Mack issues are incredible. Really loving this.

Just started Daredevil by Bendis Ultimate Collection Vol 1, and these David Mack issues are incredible. Really loving this.

Umm.... Wasn't Alex Maleev the artist on those? I know David Mack did some of the Daredevil stuff, like Echo... but the Bendis run had art by Maleev.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished Soule's Swamp Thing run. The pacing was a bit rushed towards the end, but I am very pleased with how it turned out. Soule and Saiz did some great stuff with their time on the book. The Future's End issue tacked onto the end of the trade was incredibly solid and felt like a nice way to close out the series.

Owzers

I'm not enjoying The Ultimates, I read issue #4 just now and so far it seems like a big
Galactus change
bullet point that happens to be a comic book.

Raw time...but probably no Roman Reigns because of his busted nose?

You MUST read David Macks Kabuki series. Buy the Recently released Library Editions. One of my favorite series of all time. Love it. So creative and diverse.

You nerds wanted your heroes to look less like anime and more classic. There ya go.
I'm not enjoying The Ultimates, I read issue #4 just now and so far it seems like a big
Galactus change
bullet point that happens to be a comic book.

Raw time...but probably no Roman Reigns because of his busted nose?

Do you think the change isn't as important as the writer is making it out to be?

Calcium

Banned
At the rate I'm going I might clear my backlog by 2017. Of course more comics will release in the meantime. Hold on, let me do some calculations...

..... Damn it.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom