• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

ElNarez

Banned
It's s good thing the adoption agency was overstocked on Super Great at Machines babies

no that's the point: Tony is just a regular-ass baby, with some kickass parents and at one point he gets smart enough to build this in a cave

with a box of scraps

because he made himself pretty great

that's the whole thing of the arc, it's this big existential threat of "what if tony didn't make tony? what if the thing about him, the idea that he made himself, was bullshit?" and of course it's not, but the thought it might be is scary and wrong and it makes nerds scream

Most costly series for me have been Doom Patrol (Silver Age and Morrison) and Hellboy/BPRD (all LEs, all of Plague of Frogs and 1946-1948, some trades, and ongoings). Both were worth it.

Li Kao

Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #01-06
Well, history repeats itself. Every time I read Spidey again I feel so much joice at the idea of meeting an old friend. And every time it's a letdown. Don't they know how to do them anymore or what ? Am I missing something ?
It was... nice. Enjoyable sometimes. But that's it. Boring main plot and a weak Ramos to boot (I seriously never noticed as much blank backgrounds, and I can't say he impressed even when he did draw some panels). I had to double check it was really him penciling.

And man, the story... maybe it could be seen as harsh but really, it's not an abject failure, but writing things about it feels like a waste of time.

I miss Spider-Man. And at this point I'm half persuaded that if I want this situation to change I musn't look forward but backward.

VanWinkle

How is Injustice: Gods Among Us? Specifically Year One. I ask because today a new collection of it came out that collects the whole first year (424 pages) for only like $15. I've heard some pretty positive things about the series but I never looked into it enough to know whether that positivity is widespread or only for certain years or what.

Zombine

Banned
How is Injustice: Gods Among Us? Specifically Year One. I ask because today a new collection of it came out that collects the whole first year (424 pages) for only like $15. I've heard some pretty positive things about the series but I never looked into it enough to know whether that positivity is widespread or only for certain years or what.

Way better than it had any right to be.

harley-quinns-secret.jpg

Bro.

How come I'm just hearing about this new D.Gray-man anime now!?!

cus I'm late to everything :p
It was announced back in either December or November. I wish it was a reboot instead of a continuation. The early anime could benefit from reanimation (a lot of it got reused for attacks) and removal of filler (though some of it was actually somewhat solid), plus it would give more time for more content to pull from. Seems shortsighted and dumb to just make more seasons.
I'm pretty sure I grabbed them all for under $200.
I got all six volumes over a period of time. Each one cost about $50.
no that's the point: Tony is just a regular-ass baby, with some kickass parents and at one point he gets smart enough to build this in a cave

with a box of scraps

because he made himself pretty great

that's the whole thing of the arc, it's this big existential threat of "what if tony didn't make tony? what if the thing about him, the idea that he made himself, was bullshit?" and of course it's not, but the thought it might be is scary and wrong and it makes nerds scream
Did Tony find his real parents, then?

It was announced back in either December or November. I wish it was a reboot instead of a continuation. The early anime could benefit from reanimation (a lot of it got reused for attacks) and removal of filler (though some of it was actually somewhat solid), plus it would give more time for more content to pull from. Seems shortsighted and dumb to just make more seasons.

I don't know how I missed it honestly. lol

Yeah, I just read it's not going to be a reboot. That's pretty dumb. There's a lot of stuff I would have loved to see reanimated, and the thing hasn't aged very well. They'd probably get a much bigger audience if they rebooted, too; who the hell is going to go back to watch some anime from 2006 that nobody has even bothered to upscale to HD? Not to mention, they have, maybe, 25 episodes worth of content to go through if they don't pad it out.

I'm glad we're getting something, but man, it could have been a lot better. :/

I paid under $30 each, except whichever one IST was out of at the time.
Well look at you
I don't know how I missed it honestly. lol

Yeah, I just read it's not going to be a reboot. That's pretty dumb. There's a lot of stuff I would have loved to see reanimated, and the thing hasn't aged very well. They'd probably get a much bigger audience if they rebooted, too; who the hell is going to go back to watch some anime from 2006 that nobody has even bothered to upscale to HD? Not to mention, they have, maybe, 25 episodes worth of content to go through if they don't pad it out.

I'm glad we're getting something, but man, it could have been a lot better. :/
Yeah it's really upsetting. Plus, the English dub audience (fucking me, goddamnit) is still pissed off that Funi never managed to get the rights to S3 and S4 WHICH IS LITERALLY THE BEST PART OF THE SHOW (Suman Dark's Fallen through Assault on the Black Order).

And plus, why wouldn't you reboot an older anime when the current popular climate is REBOOTING OLDER ANIME. Good god, I'm actually getting angrier just thinking about it.

Owzers

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely vote for Trumpalupagus over Clinton. Some of the things I've read about Cruz make him sound like a fucking maniac.

He just wants to be your friend. As of now i'd probably cave and vote for Hillary. My preference might be Hillary, Kasich, Trump, give myself over to PS VR and make my own president, Rubio, Carson, Cruz. I choose sleepy stabby over Cruz.

Vyer

Brah, I will never ever vote for Clinton. She's so unlikeable.

I mean, are any of these people even doing anything except talking shit about each other?

I don't really like Clinton either. But that's still preferable to the awfulness being generated by the orange skinned Beast.

ElNarez

Banned
Did Tony find his real parents, then?

Nope. Tony, realizing space is weird and fucked up, decided to kick it back on earth so he could build a city of the future with his bro Arno.

All kinds of people try to fuck with that. Including Malekith, and that's just fucking rad. (Also rad in that run? The ten rings of the Mandarin acquiring sentience, and basically turning people into an angry anti-capitalist Green Lantern Corps)

So, he never really found the time to find his real parents. But GUESS WHAT? That's exactly the hook of INTERNATIONAL IRON MAN, the hot new book from Bendis and Maleev, out 3/16.

Vyer

On a lighter note, I've been using Comixology on this 7" Galaxy tab thing I have and holy gawd in heaven is it frustrating. I'm assuming it's because of this tablet, because performance is terrible, but even then there's weird shit like the app not recognizing things I've already bought so I end up thinking I missed an issue somehow only to have it 'corrected' once I go into the cart. That combined with the general performance and the fact that I'm having to read on a 7" screen and arrrggghh. At least the store is still here in app but shit that's not enough.

My glorious Digital Age is becoming ruined. I actually considered walking into a LCS the other day. what is happening

those are my favorite!

They're the hardest to get out!

Nonsense. Xenophobia is for Xenomorphs.

tumblr_niqqvnzNxr1tessu8o1_500.gif

i don't think a wall is gonna help

and surely the xenos won't pay for it. i mean they don't even have wallets

Nope. Tony, realizing space is weird and fucked up, decided to kick it back on earth so he could build a city of the future with his bro Arno.

All kinds of people try to fuck with that. Including Malekith, and that's just fucking rad. (Also rad in that run? The ten rings of the Mandarin acquiring sentience, and basically turning people into an angry anti-capitalist Green Lantern Corps)

So, he never really found the time to find his real parents. But GUESS WHAT? That's exactly the hook of INTERNATIONAL IRON MAN, the hot new book from Bendis and Maleev, out 3/16.

Well, I'm in for International purely because of the team of Bendis and Maleev (my boys). I recall the Mandarin ring plot because of Inhumanity. Also how I learned about Arno.

That would be awesome but doubt it

You never know, didn't think a lot of marvel omnibuses would get reprints, but they are happening a lot recently.

Kind of regretting not getting into the new Iron Man series, but I think these new Bendis series will likely be collected in OHC down the line.

Li Kao

Ms Marvel (2015) #06-10
Ok I'm sold. After a slow start with the first arc, and also being admitedly not interested in the whole Muslim angle, this is all getting pretty great as issues pass on. Characters are really coming into their own, cuteness is over 9000 (Lockjaw), some really nice dialogs, and a world that feels naturally modern. As opposed to artificially. So not Batgirl.
And Alphona absolutely kills it, but that's not a surprise to me as I always loved his art.

A little too, I don't know the word for it, artificial, hollow, high concept an enemy maybe (the whole generation why), but I like what I'm seeing. And nod silently with respect.

Ms Marvel (2015) #06-10
Ok I'm sold. After a slow start with the first arc, and also being admitedly not interested in the whole Muslim angle, this is all getting pretty great as issues pass on. Characters are really coming into their own, cuteness is over 9000 (Lockjaw), some really nice dialogs, and a world that feels naturally modern. As opposed to artificially. So not Batgirl.
And Alphona absolutely kills it, but that's not a surprise to me as I always loved his art.

Honestly, I enjoyed the opening arc much more than the second. It felt like the second story got too bogged down by a forgettable villain and a supposedly dire situation I couldn't have cared less about. Thankfully, the book found its footing again after that.

Li Kao

Honestly, I enjoyed the opening arc much more than the second. It felt like the second story got too bogged down by a forgettable villain and a supposedly dire situation I couldn't have cared less about. Thankfully, the book found its footing again after that.

We are on the same opinion about the vilain it seems. But I don't know what the dire situation is. Well I still have one issue to read in the arc, maybe I just haven't reached it yet. Or maybe you are refeing to the whole runaways thing, in that case, same here.
I think a magic is at work making the characters more and more alive, the dialogs good, etc. But this is clearly all despite a subpar vilain / general plot indeed.

Ms Marvel (2015) #06-10

A little too, I don't know the word for it, artificial, hollow, high concept an enemy maybe (the whole generation why), but I like what I'm seeing. And nod silently with respect.

Lockjaw is the true Marvel Universe MVP.

Calcium

Banned

Injustice is surprisingly good, especially considering it's a video game tie-in. I went in with low expectations and it floored me. I've only read Year One and Year Two so far, but it's incredibly solid so far.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Brah, I will never ever vote for Clinton. She's so unlikeable.
Uh huh. Unlike the likable Trump who touts apocryphal stories of generals lining up and executing Muslims as wise foreign policy. So likable. So harmless.

Voting Trump for the lulz is fucking vile. Even trolling with this shit is enabling him and those who think like him.

The Eternaut is really really good. Sure, the transition between pages is not that smooth (I guess because of how it was originally published), but it is an amazing comic. The art perfectly suits the story they are telling and the slowly increasing dread of the characters is so well depicted. It doesn't ever feel like just-another-post-apocalyptic-scenario book.

On topic now about the elections, I guess I would vote for Hillary if I could...

Zombine

Banned
Walking Dead today. Hyped again for another month, will be disappointed with the lack of progression like usual.

Rick!

Rick!

Rick!

Rick!

Top Bottom