• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh yeah, MIRACLEMAN.

Which you can now actually read properly and everything without having to try and find some scrappy scans of yellowed comics.

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I'm not really a comic book reader. I've only recently started reading Turtles and Ghostbusters, but I've always been attached to some of the DC characters.

Can I get a few recommendations? I've only ever read Killing Joke. Some of the characters I'm drawn to are Batgirl, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Batman & The Atom.

tim1138

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I'm not really a comic book reader. I've only recently started reading Turtles and Ghostbusters, but I've always been attached to some of the DC characters.

Can I get a few recommendations? I've only ever read Killing Joke. Some of the characters I'm drawn to are Batgirl, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Batman & The Atom.

Green Arrow - Year One and the recent Jeff Lemire run that's recently been collected in one hardcover

Martian Manhunter - The John Ostrander run (sadly there's only two trades of it out) and the current comic of which the first trade either comes out this week or next.

Nightwing - Chuck Dixons run

For Batman I'd recommend:
- Year One
- The Long Halloween
- Court of Owls (and the rest of Snyder and Capullo's run)
- The Dark Knight Returns
- The Black Mirror
- Batman & Robin (Grant Morrison's entire run is worth reading though)

Zombine

Banned
Read the Dicipline. Weird Peter Milligan stuff. I think I'm in???? Need to see more.

Walking Dead hype though!!!!! It was pretty fucking great!

For Batgirl:
Year One
Pretty much everything with Cassandra Cain
Bryan Q. Miller's run focusing on Stephanie Brown
The current run by Fletcher, Stewart, and Tarr is good fun too

For Batman, check out the usual stuff (Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Mad Love). If you want more modern stuff, try Snyder's run along with Morrison's run.

My personal favorites for them are Miller's run on Batgirl and Morrison's Batman. They're great and capture the spirit of those characters pretty perfectly. Morrison's run incorporates the whole Batfamily too, so you get Bruce, Dick, Damian, Steph, Kate, etc.

Calcium

Banned
I know I'm going to sound like a 12 year old when I say this, but man...

3989831-5470576485-Batma.jpg

This was so cool. Really enjoyed the whole Robin Rises arc, even if it was a little silly at times.

Oh god yeah. 7 was definitely a slow issue, I will not debate that at all, but 8 and 9 have been amazing.

Ah, okay. I'll catch up next time there's a light comic week.

Black Widow #1's a good and cool comic and you guys should read it

So it was good? Is the premise different from her last book?

So that Black Canary EP is legit good, wow.

Black Canary what now?

Read the Dicipline. Weird Peter Milligan stuff. I think I'm in???? Need to see more.

Will read TWD first.

Hmm. For Nightwing, I'd recommend Grayson + maybe Forever Evil first (it's easy enough to get caught up on the events there without it though). Batman & Robin Eternal also focuses on him a little, so look into that.

Martian Manhunter's current solo series is fantastic, and the first volume just came out, so look into that for sure.

Batman, can't go wrong with Scott Snyder's New 52 run, Morrison's Batman (look up a reading list, it's kind of involved), and Tomasi's Batman & Robin.

I'm more shakey on the others, but I hope that helps :D

I know I'm going to sound like a 12 year old when I say this, but man...

This was so cool. Really enjoyed the whole Robin Rises arc, even if it was a little silly at times.

It really was. Silly, but hugely endearing and a ton of fun. Kind of wish they'd have figured out a way for the rest of the family to help him on Apokalips, but that would've been pushing it :p Just really enjoyed those issues where he goes through each of the former Robins.

Calcium

Banned
Kind of wish they'd have figured out a way for the rest of the family to help him on Apokalips, but that would've been pushing it :p

Only when it comes to Titus. They brought the damn dog to Apokalips. I thought that was the height of ridiculousness, but then I read the annual with Batman and Robin on the moon and of course they brought the dog. Pretty sure the dog would have died when they left the small ship they were in. I demand realism from my comic about a dude
resurrecting his dead son with space magic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Operation: MU catch-up starts tonight.

Going to read comics like its 2015

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I think I'm gonna give The Discipline a shot too since this is a very slow month for me.

Good to hear about TWD too. Gonna read that on my dinner break.

What are the best Alan Moore comics besides Watchmen? I obviously loved Watchmen and want to pick up a couple others...looking at Killing Joke, From Hell, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen rn
Top 10 is probably my favorite thing Moore has done. I'd lose so much time doing the where's Waldo with the cameo backgrounds.

Green Arrow - Year One and the recent Jeff Lemire run that's recently been collected in one hardcover

Martian Manhunter - The John Ostrander run (sadly there's only two trades of it out) and the current comic of which the first trade either comes out this week or next.

Nightwing - Chuck Dixons run
Im gketter and I approve this message

Word, I'm gonna work on my backlog, then get Top 10, then probably hop back into more Grant Morrison cuz Doom Patrol sounds pretty rad.

Word, I'm gonna work on my backlog, then get Top 10, then probably hop back into more Grant Morrison cuz Doom Patrol sounds pretty rad.

warning: Morrison/Case Doom Patrol is the best comic, with the GOAT ending. You may lose interest in reading other comics for awhile after its completion.

So definitely read Top 10 first

Felix Comic Art is having a sale..

Bertram, Villalobos, Riley Rossmo, Bryan Lee O'Malley and probably the most inexpensive Cliff Chiang pages you will ever see.

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitles.asp?ArtistId=580&Ti=Cliff_Chiang

Seriously, someone buy that Desaad and Granny Goodness page.

Cadencecomicart.com is also doing their 10-30 percent off sale.

Buying a page is definitely not something I need to do right now, but man I know they won't be on sale for a while after this one...

kmfdmpig

You have gotten some good suggestions. I would add The New Frontier for Martian Manhunter and The Longbow Hunters for Green Arrow.

Stray bullets is the best comic

This is a good answer, too. ComicsShouldBeGood blog have a top 100 comic runs every four years, so in October ya'll have some top ten ready to vote for. I'm gonna rearrange my list to give more points to shit that needs the points and stuff that can actually make the list.

1. Morrison/Case Doom Patrol (#19-63)
2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman (1-61, plus the annuals, the 1000000 special, and the Lobo one-shot)
3. Lapham Stray Bullets (1-60+)
4. Aaron/R.M. Guera Scalped (#1-60)
5. Fraction/Aja Hawkeye (#1-22, Annual #1)
6. Frank Miller Daredevil (original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Elektra Lives Again, Love & War)
7. Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim (vol.1-6)
8. Morrison Batman (Batman and Son, The Black Glove, RIP, Batman and Robin, those Last Rites issues, Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Inc vol.1/2
9. Claremont 80s Uncanny X-Men(basically when Byrne left to when Jim Lee came on)
10. Morrison JLA(the issues he wrote from #1-41, Earth-2, and JLA Classified #1-3)

TheFlow

Banned
This is a good answer, too. ComicsShouldBeGood blog have a top 100 comic runs every four years, so in October ya'll have some top ten ready to vote for. I'm gonna rearrange my list to give more points to shit that needs the points and stuff that can actually make the list.

1. Morrison/Case Doom Patrol (#19-63)
2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman (1-61, plus the annuals, the 1000000 special, and the Lobo one-shot)
3. Lapham Stray Bullets (1-60+)
4. Aaron/R.M. Guera Scalped (#1-60)
5. Fraction/Aja Hawkeye (#1-22, Annual #1)
6. Frank Miller Daredevil (original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Elektra Lives Again, Love & War)
7. Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim (vol.1-6)
8. Morrison Batman (Batman and Son, The Black Glove, RIP, Batman and Robin, those Last Rites issues, Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Inc vol.1/2
9. Claremont 80s Uncanny X-Men(basically when Byrne left to when Jim Lee came on)
10. Morrison JLA(the issues he wrote from #1-41, Earth-2, and JLA Classified #1-3)
Never heard of this. Can you link one of the list they did

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lets go

Moon Knight #16-17: Moon Knight finally uses his Moon Copter (why is it a 'copter if it has no propeller?) to its full capacity blasting and cutting and otherwise dismantling a group of flying badguys that turned out to be worshipping a moon goddess. Lots of deity related stories in these last few issues. And speaking of, issue 17 MK infiltrates a Konshu worshipping cult and takes care of that. I like what Cullen Bunn did with the character and book, but I wish there was a over-arching narrative instead of just random stories :/

Black Widow (last days of) #19-20: This is mostly a flashback story contrasting Nat saving some civilians during the final incursion with the real story, her days as a young russian assassin. And damn son, she was good at her job. And cold. Damn Nat why you so evil ;_;

Great end to a great series, very easy to recomend, and even tho im sure Waid will do great (it seems issue #1 is already off to a great start) he will at least have his work cut out for him to surpass this run.

Never heard of this. Can you link one of the list they did

Here's the 2012 list. Theres a lot of fun polls on the tags on the right and they usually get hundreds of ballots from pretty superhero comic literate folks, so you can scourge for recommendations that way. I really like how the 50 best X-Men list came out, I'm trying to remember my votes. It was five from the 80s, five from the 2000s, fuck the 90s. Most of mine showed up.

1. E for Extinction
2. To Have and Have Not
3. Riot at Xavier's
4. A Green and Pleasant Land
5. Here Comes Tomorrow
6. Professor Xavier is a Jerk!
7. Unstoppable
8. From the Ashes
9. Gifted
10. Dancin' in the Dark

I also really liked how the top 75 Batman stories panned out. My own votes:

1. Mad Love
2. Dark Knight Returns
3. Year One
4. Strange Apparitions (Detective Comics #469-479)
5. Club of Heroes (Batman and the Black Glove)
6. The Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14, Two-Face origin)
7. Leviathan (Batman Inc vol.2 #1-10, 12-13)
8. To Kill a Legend (Detective Comics #500)
9. Batman and Robin Must Die! (Batman and Robin #13-16)
10. Prey (Legends of the Dark Knight #11-15)

and Greatest Stories for people not popular enough to get their own month dedicated to them(Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, Thor, Darkseid, Magneto, Roger Stern, etc). The first link is to 2013 voting, here's 2010/11

TheFlow

Banned
Here's the 2012 list. Theres a lot of fun polls on the tags on the right and they usually get hundreds of ballots from pretty superhero comic literate folks, so you can scourge for recommendations that way. I really like how the 50 best X-Men list came out, I'm trying to remember my votes. It was five from the 80s, five from the 2000s, fuck the 90s. Most of mine showed up.

1. E for Extinction
2. To Have and Have Not
3. Riot at Xavier's
4. A Green and Pleasant Land
5. Here Comes Tomorrow
6. Professor Xavier is a Jerk!
7. Unstoppable
8. From the Ashes
9. Gifted
10. Dancin' in the Dark

I also really liked how the top 75 Batman stories panned out. My own votes:

1. Mad Love
2. Dark Knight Returns
3. Year One
4. Strange Apparitions (Detective Comics #469-479)
5. Club of Heroes (Batman and the Black Glove)
6. The Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14, Two-Face origin)
7. Leviathan (Batman Inc vol.2 #1-10, 12-13)
8. To Kill a Legend (Detective Comics #500)
9. Batman and Robin Must Die! (Batman and Robin #13-16)
10. Prey (Legends of the Dark Knight #11-15)

and Greatest Stories for people not popular enough to get their own month dedicated to them(Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, Thor, Darkseid, Magneto, Roger Stern, etc). The first link is to 2013 voting, here's 2010/11
Interesting seeing Y the last man in the top 10 but that was 2012. I expect to see a lot of image comics on the list this time

Top Bottom