• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Messi

Mreddie all of the covers for ANAD Silk have been done by Mingjue Helen Chen not Stacy Lee. I do love those covers.

She also does lots of work for Gotham Academy. She has even done interiors on a few issues.

59b7e80ec17ebbf04d0170921a2d0209.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Comics!

Planet Hulk #5: Alright ending, I don't mind the
twist but I dont remember it being hinted at that the axe Cap wasnt from that domain (or I guess its Doc Green Cap that isnt from that domain)
. Overall it was still one of the best SW tie-ins.

Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #4: More Skottie silliness, with Guardians of the Galaxy and Inhumans joining in, but with a ending that looks like it would have a 5th issue but apparently it doesnt. Oh well, its a silly book that is all about the art so ill give that a pass. And chibi Medusa is great.

12093833_1684756681759966_1098806614_n.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #5: Feel good ending with the Parker family vs Regent. Ending felt a bit rushed but thats a pattern im seeing with most these tie-ins, that and the lack of urgency. Im reminded of Age of Apocalypse (the original) and how every book had something happening towards the main story, each team had a mission or whatever, but here because of the nature of the event I guess most are self contained and this most so far end a little too neatly. Still, I enjoyed the series more than I thought I would especially after not feeling issue 1. Kubert art was great as usual.

Dalek

I would like to remind you that Marvel still hasnt uploaded the OG Thunderbolts run to MU. You would think this Standoff business would have been a good opportunity for it.

You would be wrong.

Wait are you sure about this? I just started reading Thunderbolts on there this week and the first issue is the reveal that they're the masters of evil. Is this not the original run?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait are you sure about this? I just started reading Thunderbolts on there this week and the first issue is the reveal that they're the masters of evil. Is this not the original run?

Yup sure is. Now go search for the issues... #1, #2, #3, #4, so far so good...wait what's that, it jumps to #42 for no reason? And then jumps from #44 to #75 again for no reason? Alrighty then!

Anyway, Ms.Marvel #18: One of the best "last days of" stories as Kamala's brother gets temporary powers from Kamala's crazy inhuman boy toy, Kamala and Carol share a touching moment, and so does Kamala and her friend as she tells her the truth before the world ends. Art is fantastic as usual (annoyed Kamala face is hilarious) and the writing is really well done. This ended up being a fantastic book (with some lows dont get me wrong) well worth the hype unlike a certain other new female superhero. Good stuff.

Messi

WOW that looks incredible. Can't wait to read more of Gotham Academy beyond the first trade. I'm such a big fan.

Yup. It's lovely. She used to work for Disney. Worked on Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6. You might have seen her work in paperman

Do you still read Monstress, Messi? Fox girl was totes adorbz today.

Read the second issue and didn't feel where it was heading so I haven't read more. Still bought them.

Dalek

Yup sure is. Now go search for the issues... #1, #2, #3, #4, so far so good...wait what's that, it jumps to #42 for no reason? And then jumps from #44 to #75 again for no reason? Alrighty then!

Anyway, Ms.Marvel #18: One of the best "last days of" stories as Kamala's brother gets temporary powers from Kamala's crazy inhuman boy toy, Kamala and Carol share a touching moment, and so does Kamala and her friend as she tells her the truth before the world ends. Art is fantastic as usual (annoyed Kamala face is hilarious) and the writing is really well done. This ended up being a fantastic book (with some lows dont get me wrong) well worth the hype unlike a certain other new female superhero. Good stuff.

Wow this is sad to know. Great.

Messi

GET HER TO DO SILK!

She doesn't do regular interiors. She is new to drawing comics stuffs. Seems she is sticking to mostly covers. I'd love her on Silk but she could only be the odd fill in here or there. Looks like interiors take her some time.

Rhaknar

Wow this is sad to know. Great.

I would say sorry but misery loves company.

Secret Wars Battleworld #3 - two short stories. First is an awful battleroyale with a bunch of wolverines and a zen wolverine in the midst, which has no ending and feels completely pointless. Then we follow the 1872 Deadpool and his steed Lockjaw, as Deadpool wants to capture and tame Devil Dinosaur to ride him. This was pretty fun as expected from that description, but not so fun that it makes up for the awful first story. Man, Devil Dinosaur sure made quite a comeback lately huh?

Dalek

Question-I don't read Spider-Gwen any more but is she still in her own universe? I ask because she and Jessica Drew are hanging out in this weeks Power Man & Iron Fist.

Messi

Question-I don't read Spider-Gwen any more but is she still in her own universe? I ask because she and Jessica Drew are hanging out in this weeks Power Man & Iron Fist.

Her and Jess still have their Spider-verse universe hopping gadgets. They use them to hang out in a Spider-Gwen issue.

Cute moment

Also Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman and Silk are crossing over in a mini event very soon. It's called Spider-women.

Sorry to hear about your situation Psych. I wish the best for you.

Read some comics:
Power Man and Iron Fist #2 - Only two issues in, but this book is everything I wanted so far. The relationship between Danny and Luke, and their constant bickering, is handled so well here and it's just a blast to follow. I tried the last Iron Fist run and I was very, very unhappy with it, so this is a great return-to-form for Danny. Highly recommended if you want a good street level comic.

Daredevil: The Road Warrior - Solid little story, although nothing really special and ultimately kind of bland. The stuff with Matt and Kirsten was cute though. Not a very big fan of the Infinite style for these digital comics. The blurring effects used between the "pages" looks really bad at points.

Daredevil #1 #2 by Mark Waid - This is what I like to see! Fun issue with my favorite creative team at Marvel. Very excited to continue on with this.

Rhaknar

Secret Wars Battleworld #4 - I liked this one. Two Silver Surfer stories, first one in the egiptian domain (the one from that awesome X-Men Moon Knight short story a few issues ago?) as Surfer teams up with Juggernaut to kill Fing Fang Foom to use him as substance for Galactus's head that is stuck in his village, where Galactus hunger is too big for a small village. Second story is basically Surfer making Maestro look like a bitch as he retrieves his board from Maestro's possession. Art in the first story is pretty cool, not so much in the second one. Cool issue tho.

PsychBat!

Banned
Why don't you be each other's roomies?
My sister doesn't believe that we can make enough for the both of us. Even for a studio.
Oh, shit. I know how it feels to have to suddenly go out and find a new place to live, it's an awful feeling. Good luck dude.
How did you cope? Because I'm just at a loss for words.
Fuck man, are you guys in your late 20s? I hope you guys have the finances.
If not, we'll probably stay put for a couple of months. But the passive aggressiveness from our dad is just unbearable. He antagonizes us with mean jokes that serve to make us angry and amuse him. Then there's the mood swings, which are bizarre as he turns from extremely angry to having a good time as if nothing happened. And it's not like he forgets how he's behaving, he's fully aware he's being an asshole the entire time.
Fuck man. Sorry to hear that.

Good luck. Seems like kind of a rough situation.

Thanks.

I hope we can make it.

Read some comics:
Power Man and Iron Fist #2 - Only two issues in, but this book is everything I wanted so far. The relationship between Danny and Luke, and their constant bickering, is handled so well here and it's just a blast to follow. I tried the last Iron Fist run and I was very, very unhappy with it, so this is a great return-to-form for Danny. Highly recommended if you want a good street level comic.

Daredevil: The Road Warrior - Solid little story, although nothing really special and ultimately kind of bland. The stuff with Matt and Kirsten was cute though. Not a very big fan of the Infinite style for these digital comics. The blurring effects used between the "pages" looks really bad at points.

Daredevil #1 #2 by Mark Waid - This is what I like to see! Fun issue with my favorite creative team at Marvel. Very excited to continue on with this.
I wish I could read Waids Daredvil run for the first time.

real talk for a second

it baffles me how little we talk about comic related things (shows, movies, what have you) which would be fine in a "rhaknar this is the comic BOOK thread", but then the amount of wrestling / anime / videogame / whatever bullshit that happens completely kills that idea so...whut :eek:

its not the off tipic talk that I find weird btw, its the lack of comic book related stuff. I would think comic book enthusiasts would be more...enthusiastic about comic book related things lol :D
Motherfucker I talk about comics on the regular. Reading Ellis/Bianchi's run on Astonishing X-Men right goddamn now.
the things people will do to avoid talking about wrestling...
It's not that we don't like wrestling, it's that Roman Reigns and Big Show are straight garbage.
Bombshells features some of the best writing I've read in a minute. Bennet's got this wonderful proselike style she employs at appropriately dramatic intervals that lends a wonderful weight to otherwise silly conflicts. Hugely excited to see what she's up to post-Rebirth, but I kind of sort of hope it's not Wonderwoman for reasons I'll get to in a bit. Also, I need a Mera book, or a Mera/Wondy teamup.

Dude joing the two-person hype train of me and ReiGun in our attempt to get a Mera/Diana/Barda book.
I'll always wonder what his take on Inhuman would have been like. I think he said that elements of it made their way into ODY-C.
Same, but I really liked Soule's run a lot.
I'm almost done with Inhumans pre-SW, reading the Annual now, it still feels like a last minute story that isn't very good, like a fill-in issue that lasts the whole run. I know Fraction was supposed to write it and they had Soule do it instead, it shows.
Why won't you love that book as much as I do?
I give you an Irish lass to commemorate St.Patrick's Day

siryn00.jpg
No one likes Siryn

Comics!

Planet Hulk #5: Alright ending, I don't mind the
twist but I dont remember it being hinted at that the axe Cap wasnt from that domain (or I guess its Doc Green Cap that isnt from that domain)
. Overall it was still one of the best SW tie-ins.
Axe Cap was from another domain right from the start. That was the whole point of the colosseum: different warriors from different domains fighting for Doom's favor. Doc Green's point is that there's "A Hulk within us all," and that all he did was let his loose. Basically he's saying Cap will eventually become a monster just like he did, especially since the gamma in Greenland brings it out.

I personally disliked the ending a lot. It was a dumb twist, though I do like the Doc Green reveal as the string puller, I wish there had been a reason as to why Doom would bother with it, unless it's stated and I don't recall.
Thanks.

I hope we can make it.
Psych I need you here, though.

Rat Queens

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

That was NOT what I expected. Shit has gotten more real than ever.

Next arc WHEN?

I wish i still liked this book lol
Maybe i still would if i gave it a chance,,but just got turned off after the 3rd artist... Loved Rocs work,, Sejic was awesome,, then mehhhhh.

How did you cope? Because I'm just at a loss for words.

At the end of the day, I just had to buckle down and find a place. In the meantime, I stayed with some friends for cheap. There's definitely nothing so disconcerting as finding out that you're not welcome in your home, but eventually you learn to... cope, I guess.

In my case, it was some roomies (one of them my best friend from HS) kicking me out because one of them (said best friend's GF) couldn't stand me for some reason. Not 2 months after I got the book, they broke up because she was cheating on him with a coworker.

There was some catharsis in that I'll admit.

Mindwipe

Mreddie all of the covers for ANAD Silk have been done by Mingjue Helen Chen not Stacy Lee. I do love those covers.

She also does lots of work for Gotham Academy. She has even done interiors on a few issues.

Yeah, her work on GA is as awesome as hell.

Pilgrimzero

Spider woman #5.

How much $ does she have? She complains that she used to just sleep all day. Maybe catch a film in the afternoon or go to the park but now she has a baby that takes up all her time!

Boo hoo. Trying having to go to work at a 9-5 everyday, Drew and then have a kid.

It was just so rich people problems it blew my mind.

My favorite ANAD comics so far are Squirrel Girl, Vision, and Power Man and Iron Fist. Mockingbird and Black Widow had good first issues too and I'm sure they'll stay good.

Thor looks good art-wise but I haven't read any of it so...
8Odb6q2.png

Owzers

Motherfucker I talk about comics on the regular. Reading Ellis/Bianchi's run on Astonishing X-Men right goddamn now.

It's not that we don't like wrestling, it's that Roman Reigns and Big Show are straight garbage.

Dude joing the two-person hype train of me and ReiGun in our attempt to get a Mera/Diana/Barda book.

Same, but I really liked Soule's run a lot.

Why won't you love that book as much as I do?

Psych I need you here, though.

Roman reigns is an Inhuman.

Interview with Brevoort and Hickman about Secret Wars.

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2016/0...evoort-on-secret-wars-amazon-book-review.html

Looks like major changes were made for issues #7-#9 in the hardcover.

Q: Part of those schedule changes involved breaking your original issue seven into two issues, seven and eight. Jonathan, you said at the time that you might go back and put things the way they’d originally been intended for the collection. Are there significant differences between the hardcover and what people saw in the published series?

Hickman: Like Tom said, I did make a decent amount of changes. I just really wanted the end of the story to feel like the way it was in my head. I restructured seven and eight back to the way it was. But the big thing that I did that really caught Tom’s eye, I took away the division between issues eight and nine. I just let it be what I thought it was supposed to be, and I’m much happier with it.

Boogiepop

Since topic came up kind of regarding MU gaps, I checked it again the other day since the character came up in Superior Spider-man, and... they still don't have more than like the first 10 issues of Spider-man 2099. How the heck did they fail to fill that in when they brought him to 616?! (I think everything else 2099 is also missing, for what it's worth, but I didn't really check too thoroughly).

Are they at least still trying to fill in the holes at all, or are updates pretty much just the 6 month delay stuff now? Don't really keep up with what's being added...

tim1138

A PSA for anyone on the fence about the Nameless HC (or potential double dippers), it has some great bonus material:

Nathan Fairnbairn said:
Cover gallery, a making-of process post, raw scans of Chris's pages, and 5 pages of annotations by Grant! =)

Top Bottom