• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Messi

The answer: very deep.

Seriously, the lack of a solo Harley book means she's got to be in there somewhere other than SS. She's too popular.

She has a solo title in rebirth by Jimmy and Amanda. Double shipped (which BTW they have been doing for months sometimes triple shipped)

Messi

Oh, oops. I'm half-asleep.

Ok, so, Harley Lanterns?

I'd love it. She already had the red ring.

red-black-lantern-harley-quinn-arm-wrestles-green-lantern-2.jpg
green-lantern-hal-jordan-vs-red-black-lantern-harley-quinn-6.jpg

She should also be in Trinity with Batman and Superman.

1. Court of Owls
2. Zero Year
3. Death of the Family
4. Endgame
5. Superheavy

I flip flop on Court and Zero Year as number 1 since they're both really good for different reasons , and whether or not I like Death or Endgame better. I don't really like the start of Endgame, and there's genreally too much techno bullshit stuff in that arc, but Joker is amazing in it and shit gets so crazy. The backups are good too.

1. Court of Owls
2. Zero Year
3. Death of the Family
4. Endgame
5. Superheavy

I flip flop on Court and Zero Year as number 1 since they're both really good for different reasons , and whether or not I like Death or Endgame better. I don't really like the start of Endgame, and there's genreally too much techno bullshit stuff in that arc, but Joker is amazing in it and shit gets so crazy. The backups are good too.

i haven't read 4 or 5 yet but the first 3's ranking is spot on.

I'd say:

1) Court of Owls
2) Zero Year
3) Death of the Family
4) Endgame
5) Superheavy (though I still haven't finished it yet so it might go up a bit)

1) Zero Year
2) Court of Owls
3) Endgame
4) Superheavy
5) Death of the Family

Today's the day.

Phil, go finish Zero Year, it's the weekend so surely you have nothing better to do. It's frankly my favorite take on the origin story ever.

Death of the Family is just kinda mediocre. It's a SAW movie featuring The Joker. Naw.

BvS has me in the mood for Morrison's JLA, anyone have the deluxe hard covers? Worth it? Can't find half my old issues.

The BvS threads on here read like people weren't paying attention, or can't put 2 and 2 together

They each have a beginning, middle, and end. Even if they are thematically linked, and Endgame acts as a sequel of sorts, they're seperate arcs.

Surprised you guys are seperating DotF and Endgame as they are one big story arc separated by some time. Went DotF>Zero Year>Endgame.

Honestly, they're both Joker stories, and they've goth got a very strong horror bent to them, but other than that they're just so different. My strongest visual memory of each is... in DotF, the Joker got a hanging tapestry made of living people he's stitched together. In Endgame, Batman has a giant mecha he whales on Superman with. They're very different stories. Endgame is more of a sequel than a continuation.

Going to see the movie tho

Oh well I guess that works.

I thought Endgame was significantly weaker :/

It's one story. You don't have Endgame without DotF. Every one of Jokers motivations were because of the events in DotF. They should be considered as a whole. Every big Snyder story has been 2 trade volumes.

If they collected an Absoltue Court of Owls, they will have an Absolute Zero Year and an Absolute DotF/Endgame.

Messi

It's one story. You don't have Endgame without DotF. They should be considered as a whole. Every big Snyder story has been 2 trade volumes.

Yeah but I am OK with Death being the end of it. I really wish he didn't come back and do Endgame.

All of Snyders batman is one big story imo.

Ross61

We've been blessed with a consistently great Batman comic from the beginning of new 52. I gotta thank Snyder and Capullo for that. The new writer has a tough act to follow.

The info dumps generally make sense for the most part I think. Like in Court of Owls the whole point of the story is Batman doesn't know the city as well as he thinks he does (and that's a recurring theme through the whole run) so the contrast between his very fact based narrations and his shortcomings in what's going on around him work to the narrative.

But yeah, he definitely goes too far with it at times especially in the later arcs. Like the end of Superheavy is just him straight up spelling out all the themes for the reader in almost every dialogue balloon and narration box.

I didn't like the first two issues of Endgame because of this as well, just way too much time spent on him describing the ludicrously bullshit techno contrivances he's pulled out of his ass to fight the Justice League. Mini red Suns? Gimme a break.

BvS made me buy the first 3 volumes of Morrisons JLA on CMX. I own the 4th in TPB. Bought it solely for the Tower of Babel story. Excited to start reading them.

We've been blessed with a consistently great Batman comic from the beginning of new 52. I gotta thank Snyder and Capullo for that. The new writer has a tough act to follow.

That said, I'm much more interested to see what Snyder and Capullo do next. They did some great Batman stories, and I'd really like to see them give this treatment to another big franchise like Justice League. I've been enjoying Darkseid War, but if any book needs some new blood, it's that one.

tim1138

BvS has me in the mood for Morrison's JLA, anyone have the deluxe hard covers? Worth it? Can't find half my old issues.

The BvS threads on here read like people weren't paying attention, or can't put 2 and 2 together

The hardcovers are out of print, but you can still get them in paperback or on Comixology

The hardcovers are out of print, but you can still get them in paperback or on Comixology

Digital option is best option.

I watched those Robert Valley WW shorts. Pretty damn slick. Then I bought the Robert Valley Art of War Wonder Woman statue. Amazon dropped it down to $44 and then I used some Amazon points to get her down to cheap.

I got all of Morrison's JLA on sale last year. It's on my list of things to read lol

Also have Brubaker's Catwoman which I also need to start

tim1138

Digital option is best option.

I watched those Robert Valley WW shorts. Pretty damn slick. Then I bought the Robert Valley Art of War Wonder Woman statue. Amazon dropped it down to $44 and then I used some Amazon points to get her down to cheap.

That statue looks great in person, I got it for my wife as a Christmas gift last year.
I would love to see a miniseries or digital first series based on those shorts, it was so stylish and cool.

I don't have the deluxe hardcovers but I know they practically collected all of the issues under "JLA TP Vol" label, including Morrison, McDuffy, Waid, Kelley and Busiek.

Yes people seem to be missing important plot details but I'm not completely blaming them, it moves at a very brisk pace and the plot threads aren't necessarily woven together at the same time, as it jumps around a lot.

frye

JLA from Morrison on is really one of those low-key consistently good comic books -- close to 90 issues of some of my favourite cape comics before getting really fuckin bad

Top Bottom