• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

mreddie

I didn't read that. Good or bad? The art. Friend told me the book was awful

He also did 1872 and Night of Deadpool.

He's good.

555252e210a45.jpg

Is it the next issue this happens? If so, I'm dropping Strange

Thiiiink Hopeless is in May man, so you've got an issue or so left yet.

I expect good things from Hopeless.

Mmm, have to admit, Strange is really only a character I came to for the writer but the way Aaron interpretes his world, I really like. I could stay on if Hopeless brings the good, but it's definitely an if. I'd be as happy to jump off and free up my budget for something else or follow Aaron to whatever his replacement book is.

I could maybe see Bachelo on the Astonishing X-Men book, although no idea why they wouldn't announce that upfront if so.

jurgen

I could maybe see Bachelo on the Astonishing X-Men book, although no idea why they wouldn't announce that upfront if so.

Bachalo on an X-Men book seems too comfortable or easy now. I'd love to see him on Captain America to mix it up and get out of his comfort zone. He could channel a bit of Steranko and have fun with the Hydra and stars and stripes motifs.

He also did 1872 and Night of Deadpool.

He's good.

Oh good. I like ANW, but I'm not particularly a fan of the art. Feels inconsistent.
Bachalo on an X-Men book seems too comfortable or easy now. I'd love to see him on Captain America to mix it up and get out of his comfort zone. He could channel a bit of Steranko and have fun with the Hydra and stars and stripes motifs.

I can agree with this.

Messi

I'd rather him back on X-Men. The X-Men books have had trash art recently.

Owzers

Walking dead 164-165
i don't like the whole herding zombies with horses thing, it doesn't make for an interesting page and the dialogue is repetitive. Speaking of repetitive, let's have more panels of rick glaring at Negan. I also don't know any of these former Negan territory people.
not liking this at all.

Old Man Logan #1 - #8 was decent but I have a feeling it might work better for someone who has a lot of history with the X-Men franchise. For the most part, it felt aimless after the first 4 issues. Once
Rogers shows him that this might not be his current time line
, it's just an older Logan brought in to be available and still have a "Death of Wolverine".

On that note, the Marvel's trades just seem to be getting worse on the value front. $17 for 4 issues in a trade with some random older issue thrown in to make it bulkier?

Saw a listing on my library catalog that included the words Super Sons and reserved it thinking it was the new Super Sons trade. Turned out to be some 70s comic with Superman and Batman's sons who look about 1 year younger than them? Hope it is decent.

Who asked for a tpb collection of Werewolf By Night where v1 is $40? Shops are having trouble clearing out the full omnibus for $35.

Old Man Logan #1 - #8 was decent but I have a feeling it might work better for someone who has a lot of history with the X-Men franchise. For the most part, it felt aimless after the first 4 issues. Once
Rogers shows him that this might not be his current time line
, it's just an older Logan brought in to be available and still have a "Death of Wolverine".

On that note, the Marvel's trades just seem to be getting worse on the value front. $17 for 4 issues in a trade with some random older issue thrown in to make it bulkier?

Haha, I was actually thinking about this last night. I reread the first trade (and I totally agree btw, 4 issues and an old Millar issue, really) and they could have went further with the initial premise. When you think about it, they ended up killing Banner elsewhere anyway so they could have went a good deal further with the list and made it a bigger deal than the usual problem of not being able to follow through on killing big characters. I quite like the simple payoff of
confronting him with the statue
but with Banner on the table, that whole list setup could have been the backbone of the book before getting to that ending, oppose to just the table setter for his status quo. Disappointed to hear it meanders afterwards, quite enjoyed the reread, probably going to grab vol 2 and 3 soon.

Doing some New 52 reading along with a podcast and it starts with Justice League. Feels nice to be able to go back and read an actually good Justice League book. It's kind of weird going back to the start when all I read previously was the Darkseid War. Must have been really awesome to have all this set up from the start and finally coming to a head.

Justice League vol. 1

I absolutely loved this. The interactions between Flash and Hal, the attitude of Diana and her wanting a fight at all times, the cocky Superman, Aquaman coming in and immediately being badass, and everyone doubting that Batman exists and wondering why he was there when he didn't have powers. All of this was so great. If I had to pick a downfall I'd say the only big one I saw was Cyborg. He just seems like a tough character to make interesting.

Messi

Doing some New 52 reading along with a podcast and it starts with Justice League. Feels nice to be able to go back and read an actually good Justice League book. It's kind of weird going back to the start when all I read previously was the Darkseid War. Must have been really awesome to have all this set up from the start and finally coming to a head.

Justice League vol. 1

I absolutely loved this. The interactions between Flash and Hal, the attitude of Diana and her wanting a fight at all times, the cocky Superman, Aquaman coming in and immediately being badass, and everyone doubting that Batman exists and wondering why he was there when he didn't have powers. All of this was so great. If I had to pick a downfall I'd say the only big one I saw was Cyborg. He just seems like a tough character to make interesting.

Isn't that the volume that Jim Lee ghost wrote?

The biggest this volume made me realize is that I now dislike the current run of Flash a little more than I already did. Seeing the sense of humor mixed with the befuddlement really came across with the goody goody aspect of Barry wanting to clean up any damage done while trying to not break any laws or be seen by police. I want to see more of this Barry Allen. There has been no real sense of humor in Williamson's Flash outside of the Christmas/Kid Flash issue which is probably my favorite issue of this run.

Ross61

The biggest this volume made me realize is that I now dislike the current run of Flash a little more than I already did. Seeing the sense of humor mixed with the befuddlement really came across with the goody goody aspect of Barry wanting to clean up any damage done while trying to not break any laws or be seen by police. I want to see more of this Barry Allen. There has been no real sense of humor in Williamson's Flash outside of the Christmas/Kid Flash issue which is probably my favorite issue of this run.

You're one of the few people I've seen like the first volume of Justice League New 52 and specifically their characterizations.

You're one of the few people I've seen like the first volume of Justice League New 52 and specifically their characterizations.

I wonder if it's due to me coming in as a somewhat new reader. I can see stuff like the cocky Superman, and the overzealous Hal being annoying to fans coming into New 52 as long time readers.

I'm coming from only reading DC YOU and Rebirth outside of a few of the more notable trades. With having nothing really to compare it to other than N52's Truth story of Superman, and the current run of JL and Flash, pretty much everything came off as great to me.

The rumor is that Lee ghost wrote the first 12 issues.

I believe it. JL arguably didn't get good until Throne of Atlantis and the Superman and WW pairing came off as obvious corporate meddling. You can tell Johns didn't give a shit about the relationship and avoided it as much as possible.
I wonder if it's due to me coming in as a somewhat new reader. I can see stuff like the cocky Superman, and the overzealous Hal being annoying to fans coming into New 52 as long time readers.

I'm coming from only reading DC YOU and Rebirth outside of a few of the more notable trades. With having nothing really to compare it to other than N52's Truth story of Superman, and the current run of JL and Flash, pretty much everything came off as great to me.
I enjoyed the first story arc as a big summer blockbuster movie. It's got energy, it's quick, and the art is on point.

I thought the first volume of new 52 JLA was super awful. This was the one with people yelling out

you did it!

youre the worlds greatest heroes!

at the end right

I thought the first volume of new 52 JLA was super awful. This was the one with people yelling out

you did it!

youre the worlds greatest heroes!

at the end right

Yeah, something like that. To be fair it set up from the very first pages that they were viewed as a primary target of the government and seen as scary and bad guys before Darkseid invaded.

Yeah, something like that. To be fair it set up from the very first pages that they were viewed as a primary target of the government and seen as scary and bad guys before Darkseid invaded.

I mean, Im not here to tell you that you shouldn't have enjoyed what you read, but I think you'll find the later volumes of the series better. I usually see it recommended from vol 3 onward

I mean, Im not here to tell you that you shouldn't have enjoyed what you read, but I think you'll find the later volumes of the series better. I usually see it recommended from vol 3 onward

Yeah, I think I can understand that. There definitely isn't a ton of actual substance in this first volume. I think that's why Cyborg felt so out of place in it, because he gets the most set up but is ultimately just used as a plot device. Everything else is basically non stop action with some comedy thrown in. Can definitely see the comparison to a blockbuster movie.

Yeah, I think I can understand that. There definitely isn't a ton of actual substance in this first volume. I think that's why Cyclops felt so out of place in it, because he gets the most set up but is ultimately just used as a plot device. Everything else is basically non stop action with some comedy thrown in. Can definitely see the comparison to a blockbuster movie.
Cyclops? :p

Top Bottom