• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

I'm doing a simultaneous Simon Spurrier binge and an Old Man Logan binge. On the Spurrier tip, I re-read Six Gun Gorilla. I plan to loan it to my friend and wanted it fresh in my mind. I'm also reading through Cry Havoc for the first time, which I LOVE (even though the lesbian-who's-not-a-lesbian thing makes me cringe a bit). And I picked up the original Millar OML. Though I long ago swore off Millar, I couldn't resist checking this out after seeing Logan and reading new-skool OML. After that I'll read the Death of Wolverine trades Weapon X Program and The Logan Legacy.

Haha looking forward to your thoughts on Millar's Old Man Logan. I say no more.

I love that Rob Liefeld recently managed to make over $1m selling movie rights for extreme studios stuff, and it didn't even include Youngblood or Supreme. I think the *biggest* properties involved were Brigade and Bloodstrike. Mind boggling.

I really can't care anymore for Marvel's next "biggest event ever thing". Secret Empire has an interesting hook but I can't get into the event hype and tie-in extravaganza. NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME. AGAIN.

At least back in the days of Civil War and etc. the events were more properly spaced so I could feel and enjoy the "change". Now? I can only hope that the books I follow won't be caught up on the madness.

Stepping aside from the event fatigue, in a bubble, Secret Empire is actually the kind of event that I probably would have felt was made for me, if it was written by Brubaker, or Hickman, or Aaron. I love mad Hydra plots. I just can't get excited by Spencer though.

I wonder if Spencer's spy book he announced at Image ages ago with Guice will ever emerge. I was actually interested in that way back when.

BdpIoA2CEAI4Cmf.jpg:large

Stepping aside from the event fatigue, in a bubble, Secret Empire is actually the kind of event that I probably would have felt was made for me, if it was written by Brubaker, or Hickman, or Aaron. I love mad Hydra plots. I just can't get excited by Spencer though.

Idk Are we sure you're criticizing Spencer because you think his writing is kind of bad or because you're about to post your patreon
Spencer accused people criticizing his work of doing it for the money

as if there was money in comics criticism

"Nick Spencer retire bitch"
@HellaNarez, 2017

Idk Are we sure you're criticizing Spencer because you think his writing is kind of bad or because you're about to post your patreon

Haha! I didn't know anything about that. Although, I would be happy to be paid to criticise him, if that's a thing we can make happen? Please.

Nah,the trajectory and lack of focus on character in Morning Glories in favour of unending did you see it coming mystery and the shit show Bedlam was were enough for me to go off him. Plus his Secret Avengers and Avengers World I read went a whole load of nowhere. So I struggle to get behind what is his more thrillery bent big idea stuff (which is a shame because on paper if not in practise, his ideas often sound made for me. I mean he loves lost and is writing a story where Hydra won) . Have totally missed his more comedic stuff though, which is allegedly a good bit better?

Haha! I didn't know anything about that. Although, I would be happy to be paid to criticise him, if that's a thing we can make happen? Please.

Nah,the trajectory and lack of focus on character in Morning Glories in favour of unending did you see it coming mystery and the shit show Bedlam was were enough for me to go off him. Plus his Secret Avengers and Avengers World I read went a whole load of nowhere. So I struggle to get behind what is his more thrillery bent big idea stuff (which is a shame because on paper if not in practise, his ideas often sound made for me) . Have totally missed his more comedic stuff though, which is allegedly a good bit better?

Can vouch for Superior Foes of Spider-Man and The Fix being good. Although, both of them DO have Steve Lieber on art. Maybe that's the key to the puzzle?

Ross61

I haven't read Marvel in a long while (probably since Remender's Uncanny Avengers) but I'll definitely check out the new X-Men books if they get good reviews and word of mouth.
(It would actually be my first foray into the x-field)
I didn't have a reason against reading Marvel, I actually quit comics all together for a little while so my school work could improve.

Can vouch for Superior Foes of Spider-Man and The Fix being good. Although, both of them DO have Steve Lieber on art. Maybe that's the key to the puzzle?

Are we saying.... Lieber was the answer to the morning glories enigma all along?? Haha. Nah I totally believe certain collaborators can bring out the best in each other and maybe Steve just pushes Spencer towards a tone or style of action etc that works better towards his strengths and away from his flaws. In that sense, I should probably just read a vol of Cap before I judge Secret Empire but eh. I read so many great books by writers who nail it every time it's hard to flush cash that way.

Totally agree Lieber is amazing though, love his style.

Interesting interview with Snyder. I enjoy reading him talk about comics, you can always feel the enthusiasm, even if you're not a fan. Looking forward to ASB and him breaking away from Capullo full time. I believe him when he says he writes towards his artists and that Greg has that one bombastic style. Cappullo's art on their run was so good, but Snyder's stories were always so big and so reaching to try and match. Smaller more character driven things within a series that's really thematically linked story to story sounds literally perfect in terms of his strengths to me. I wonder who he has in mind for the Duke book.

For folks who have been reading, and like Snyder, how has ASB measured up so far to the black mirror?

Sandfox

I'm surprised Emma is popping up so quickly.

Says she has her own team. Given that she
murdered a lottttttttt of people in the climax to IvX
I'm wondering who actually joins up with her?
You could say the same thing about Magneto and Wolverine.

The first arc of new 52 Justice League was really bad, it was set up as if all the characters were mentally 15 years old, it really was a case of 'dude wheres my justice league'. As if the Justice League was a frat house, I kept expecting Barry and Hal to start chugging from a keg ha. Thankfully I think after that arc they realized what they'd done and kind of eased back on the young personalities. If they'd have done it well it could have worked with the characters first meeting and getting to know each other and forming the league, but it really wasn't. Action was still okay though which kept things going into the better stories later on.

Bit of help GAF if I can. I'm going to start picking up some of the rebirth trades and definitely going to pick up Batman, Tec, Green Arrow, Superman, Titans and Wonder woman. Was thinking of then possibly getting one more out of Nightwing, Hal Jordan or New Superman? Which one should I choose guys/gals? Was also thinking of including Flash in the choices but see pretty average reviews on here for it.

Going back a few pages but nice commission Messi :) Nice move sending one back to auction off as well, you could have just kept one in each room

Sandfox

Jim Zub teased on Twitter that Magik will be on Emma's team so that explains where she ends up post-IvX.

The first arc of new 52 Justice League was really bad, it was set up as if all the characters were mentally 15 years old, it really was a case of 'dude wheres my justice league'. As if the Justice League was a frat house, I kept expecting Barry and Hal to start chugging from a keg ha. Thankfully I think after that arc they realized what they'd done and kind of eased back on the young personalities. If they'd have done it well it could have worked with the characters first meeting and getting to know each other and forming the league, but it really wasn't. Action was still okay though which kept things going into the better stories later on.

Bit of help GAF if I can. I'm going to start picking up some of the rebirth trades and definitely going to pick up Batman, Tec, Green Arrow, Superman, Titans and Wonder woman. Was thinking of then possibly getting one more out of Nightwing, Hal Jordan or New Superman? Which one should I choose guys/gals? Was also thinking of including Flash in the choices but see pretty average reviews on here for it.

Going back a few pages but nice commission Messi :) Nice move sending one back to auction off as well, you could have just kept one in each room
Nightwing seems to be the most well liked of those three.

I actually liked the way they acted in the first arc. Hal's antics were funny and Superman didn't take anyone's shit. And Hal getting trashed by Darkseid was great in the comic and hilarious in the movie.

New Superman is what you should get. If you wanna read bootleg Batman then get Daredevil.

TEC and WW are flipping brilliant. I just did the same and grabbed my first wave of Rebirth trades last week, and those were the shining stars. I have Nightwing, it's decent, if nothing to go crazy for. I'm not personally interested but out of those, it feels like folks have really beat the drum about new superman, but again, I haven't read it myself. If you get batman and TEC, the night of the monster men HC picks up after those two volumes for a crossover spinning out of Batman.

tim1138

If you can only pick 1 out of the 3, I vote New Super-Man. It has a ton of heart and is a great read every month.

shingi70

Banned
So Bryan Hitch got me again and I bought the first two issues of his timeless story arc. Having read all of his rebirth Justice League work his writing and art seems stuck between 2004-2007.

His Wide Screen Comics angle is just that, and i can visualize how his Comics would look on a movie screen more than anyone elses.

ElNarez

Banned
So Bryan Hitch got me again and I bought the first two issues of his timeless story arc. Having read all of his rebirth Justice League work his writing and art seems stuck between 2004-2007.

His Wide Screen Comics angle is just that, and i can visualize how his Comics would look on a movie screen more than anyone elses.

I mean that's why Justice League sells, right? No one does the Big Spectacle Comics quite like Hitch. (He's still doing breakdowns on those right?)

kmfdmpig

I see that you've gotten a few recommendations for New Superman, and I'd echo those as well. From those you haven't mentioned I'd also consider Deathstroke.

uhhhh...

Did the solicits provide any context?
This is what the solicit says. The artist is Dilraj Mann. Cant find much about his. Seems to be English and that he often draws black women like this.
The award-winning comics magazine curated by BRANDON GRAHAM (KING CITY, PROPHET) and EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange, PRETTY DEADLY, MIRROR) continues. Featuring new work from some of the world's best, newest, and most innovative cartoonists. This issue spotlights the work of DILRAJ MANN and GRIM WILKINS. - See more at: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/island-15#sthash.yN7mDmDn.dpuf

My take: Even if you're trying to make subversive art of hurtful depictions, unless you are/were the subject of those kind of depictions, don't.

tim1138

Maybe we can also take this solicit as DC having new plans for Fourth World.

It's more likely due to it being Kirby's 100th birthday (if he were still alive this year). That's a series that was in desperate need of a reprint though, so whatever reason works for me.

TEC and WW are flipping brilliant. I just did the same and grabbed my first wave of Rebirth trades last week, and those were the shining stars. I have Nightwing, it's decent, if nothing to go crazy for. I'm not personally interested but out of those, it feels like folks have really beat the drum about new superman, but again, I haven't read it myself. If you get batman and TEC, the night of the monster men HC picks up after those two volumes for a crossover spinning out of Batman.

Thanks for the advice all, seems like New Superman is the popular choice, think was considering Nightwing, Hal Jordan and Flash due to loving runs on the characters in the past. Though I think I was actually one of the few people who didn't like the Grayson series.

I'm not sure on night of the monster men, as much as will be weird having issues missing from the runs they don't see too important to the continuing storys and not sure I need a hardcover stuck in the middle of all the paperbacks already :/

It's more likely due to it being Kirby's 100th birthday (if he were still alive this year). That's a series that was in desperate need of a reprint though, so whatever reason works for me.

King has made some pretty strong hints about a New Gods thing. Maybe that maxi-series he's doing with Gerards.

tim1138

King has made some pretty strong hints about a New Gods thing. Maybe that maxi-series he's doing with Gerards.

Believe me, I would be all about more Fourth World comics, Kirby's saga is my single favorite comic run ever. That said I'm not gonna get my hopes up for anything beyond DC honoring the life and work of the King.

Messi - There's also a Harley Quinn omnibus announced in there to go with the Batman & Robin omnibus.

Believe me, I would be all about more Fourth World comics, Kirby's saga is my single favorite comic run ever. That said I'm not gonna get my hopes up for anything beyond DC honoring the life and work of the King.

BTW, my Mister Miracle AE is arriving this week. :D Excited for that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mother Boxes, parademons,
Steppenwolf

Well, its one movie, but yeah. Also the release makes sense around the time of the JLA Movie

But guys, guys! Hush Deluxe Edition! :D Shazam Deluxe Edition! Tim Sale on whatever, I am buying it anyway Deluxe Editon! :D

I'm not sure on night of the monster men, as much as will be weird having issues missing from the runs they don't see too important to the continuing storys and not sure I need a hardcover stuck in the middle of all the paperbacks already :/

Yea it's not a big deal. It explains a plot thread left over from Batman vol 1 and I think it kiiind of sets up Batwoman's new solo but I have to imagine the Batwoman series itself recaps that. I thought it was kind of fun but definitely not necessary if you want to keep things lean or at least wait until they paperback it.

Top Bottom