• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

caliph95

How is it that just about every superhero manages to get an appointment with Mudock? It's like the moment you out a costume on in the Marvell universe he becomes you appointed lawyer in case you get sued for damage.
They could switch it up and have it be She Hulk for once.

Sandfox

C3HnPocXgAUL_-n.jpg:large

Hagi

Damn new Ghost Rider only lasted 5 issues before being sent back to hell.

Iron Fist is kind of bad, at least through episode 1.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Still cant get behind how people seem to hate the last 4 episodes of Cage so much that the 8 really great ones before get such a downgrade.
I mean its really not good in the last 4 episodes, but the rest is really amazing.

Still cant get behind how people seem to hate the last 4 episodes of Cage so much that the 8 really great ones before get such a downgrade.
I mean its really not good in the last 4 episodes, but the rest is really amazing.

I didn't really like it beyond episode 4! The set-up to the series is good in those episodes, and the reveal of his origin, but as soon as it tries to go forward from all that it falls apart. Early on, focusing on Cottonmouth and his deal is better too. It does go to true shit in the last few eps with the main villain though.

All my opinion of course, that's why I didn't say is it better or worse than Cage... Which is shit, or anything like that. I can gather from Hagi's response what he felt about Cage and that will inform me how I'll probably feel about it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I didn't really like it beyond episode 4! The set-up to the series is good in those episodes, and the reveal of his origin, but as soon as it tries to go forward from all that it falls apart. Early on, focusing on Cottonmouth and his deal is better too.
There is where I agree. Really loved Cottonmouth.

Hagi

Better/worse than Lake Cage though?

Worse.

Cage while as interesting as a wet paper bag he had a really good supporting cast, this not so much. I'm only going off 1 episode though so maybe it does get better. So far it seems like they are going the Batman Begins route but leaning way into the someone else is running his company side of that which for a series about super kung fu man its not the direction I thought they'd be going in.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Worse.

Cage while as interesting as a wet paper bag he had a really good supporting cast, this not so much. I'm only going off 1 episode though so maybe it does get better. So far it seems like they are going the Batman Begins route but leaning way into the someone else is running his company side of that which for a series about super kung fu man its not the direction I thought they'd be going in.
Almost 4 Episodes in, he did Kung Fu for about 50 Seconds so far.

Worse.

...for a series about super kung fu man its not the direction I thought they'd be going in.

Almost 4 Episodes in, he did Kung Fu for about 50 Seconds so far.

Fuck this life lol. I suppose there's still a chance they just leaned too heavy on the setup and slow burn, knowing most will watch the whole series through the weekend and the back half pucks up...disappointing though. After some of the amazing sequences in DD, I figured at very least there would be some great fights in this thing.

I'll be watching it tonight anyway, so I'll be able to weigh in then. Really like the Perkins art in the Iron Fist preview CBR have up but so unsure on Brisson. I just want some good Danny Rand!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It has been send to die anyway. Every other show had their fair share of promotion, this one had not even a CMX sale IIRC.
Its not nearly 19% bad, its pretty mediocre while missing the point of the character and awfully cringy when the white dude talks about Shi and Buddishm and asian stuff.
I like the bad guys, tho. And it seems like The Hand is somehow involved and they where my favorite Plotpoint of DD S02.

It has been send to die anyway. Every other show had their fair share of promotion, this one had not even a CMX sale IIRC.
Its not nearly 19% bad, its pretty mediocre while missing the point of the character and awfully cringy when the white dude talks about Shi and Buddishm and asian stuff.
I like the bad guys, tho. And it seems like The Hand is somehow involved and they where my favorite Plotpoint of DD S02.

There's a CMX sale but it's not a good one aside from the Aja run.

Hagi

Fuck this life lol. I suppose there's still a chance they just leaned too heavy on the setup and slow burn, knowing most will watch the whole series through the weekend and the back half pucks up...disappointing though. After some of the amazing sequences in DD, I figured at very least there would be some great fights in this thing.

I'll be watching it tonight anyway, so I'll be able to weigh in then. Really like the Perkins art in the Iron Fist preview CBR have up but so unsure on Brisson. I just want some good Danny Rand!

Maybe this will be the reverse of the usual complaints about these series and the back half is amazing when the first half is kinda bad lol

Action Comics #967 - #972 had a lot of action! As I should have expected I guess. 6 issues of Superman and Doomsday punching each other in the face. So interesting.

Huh it just occurred to me, The Midnight Circus doesn't seem to have been added to the HB in Hell Library Edition. I had kind of assumed over the last year they would naturally slot that in the front, since it has connections to Hell, and its a Mignola Fegredo joint.

kmfdmpig

Action Comics #967 - #972 had a lot of action! As I should have expected I guess. 6 issues of Superman and Doomsday punching each other in the face. So interesting.

Those were so boring and repetitive. It's gotten a bit better, but still pales in comparison to Superman.

Haven't read BPRD in a while is there a good jumping point to catch up or at least Hell on earth.

Honestly man,not really haha. All of the payoff is off the back of the character building and plot building. I suppose you could just jump in and try and orientate yourself, Reign of the black flame is where things get really good during HoE and much of the plot stuff builds from there through to the end, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even at that you would miss the long death which is incredible. Arcudi is done now, I'd just start wherever I was and work through it at your own pace. What did you read last?

caliph95

Honestly man,not really haha. All of the payoff is off the back of the character building and plot building. I suppose you could just jump in and try and orientate yourself, Reign of the black flame is where things get really good during HoE and much of the plot stuff builds from there through to the end, but I wouldn't recommend it. Arcudi is done now, I'd just start wherever I was and work through it at your own pace. What did you read last?
Didn't think it would be that easy. Remember reading at least three omnibuses for Bprd starting from volume 2 because that was the only i can find. i would just google and find where to start.

Didn't think it would be that easy. Remember reading at least three omnibuses for Bprd starting from volume 2 because that was the only i can find. i would just google and find where to start.

Oh right so you hadn't started HoE at all, just plague of frogs? Sorry I didn't pick that up. In that case, the best point is probably the beginning of Hell On Earth. They recap everything from PoF a good few times over at that point, and a lot of new characters are introduced in Hell On Earth anyway so you have most of what you need there. I think you could have a really good satisfying time just starting at HoE vol 1. The stakes really raise and the team's mission reorientates, plus a lot of great artists come on in the face of Davis leaving. Harden and Campbell, so good.

For some reason I thought you meant you had started HoE and wanted to start again somewhere closer to the end Hah. Dur.

Side things worth noting about Hell On Earth. After volume 5 or 6,Abe spins off into his own series. You don't have to read it. It doesn't factor into the conclusion of HoE or anything, however it does have some very cool lore reveals, and is quite a fun character focused book in its own right. Its probably worth understanding what happened in HB in Hell before reading the last vol of Hell On Earth before reading it, even if you don't want to read Hellboy. Probably the only case of that happening in the mignola books, but it becomes...relevant.

caliph95

Oh right so you hadn't started HoE at all, just plague of frogs? Sorry I didn't pick that up. In that case, the best point is probably the beginning of Hell On Earth. They recap everything from PoF a good few times over at that point, and a lot of new characters are introduced in Hell On Earth anyway so you have most of what you need there. Again I'd say try and get that last omnibus of Plague, it has an extremely epic conclusion, but I appreciate finances and time and all that stuff. I think you could have a really good satisfying time just starting at HoE vol 1. The stakes really raise and the team's mission reorientates, plus a lot of great artists come on in the face of Davis leaving. Harden and Campbell, so good.

For some reason I thought you meant you had started HoE and wanted to start again somewhere closer to the end Hah. Dur.

Side things worth noting about Hell On Earth. After volume 5 or 6,Abe spins off into his own series. You don't have to read it. It doesn't factor into the conclusion of HoE or anything, however it does have some very cool lore reveals, and is quite a fun character focused book in its own right. Its probably worth understanding what happened in HB in Hell before reading the last vol of Hell On Earth before reading it, even if you don't want to read Hellboy. Probably the only case of that happening in the mignola books, but it becomes...relevant.
Sorry should have been clearer, haven't read any Hellboy just the BPRD books. Will keep that in mind thanks for the info.

Sorry should have been clearer, haven't read any Hellboy just the BPRD books. Will keep that in mind thanks for the info.

Nah, don't apologise dude. If you're only interested in BPRD, it is by and large fine to be clueless about HB l. They may happen in the same world, but there is almost no direct overlap between the two. They usually just illuminate the larger lore of the world the two exist within. The only time the two do explicitly have uh repercussions? on each other (trying to be vague because I don't think Tim has read the last arc of Bprd yet haha) is right there at the end between plot in HB in Hell and results in BPRD.

That said, my brain is super entwined in this stuff. Odds are the way it's presented in BPRD is perfectly stand alone. It was just the one time where I thought Huh, you would want to know a bit more there.

Some of you guys will be interested in the marvel Catalogue? Click

The next Aaron/Dauterman Thor OHC is in there, scheduled for December. Can't wait for that! Aaron's Dr Strange is getting Ohc too. Threw me off at first because Duggan and Robinson have credits but I think that was a last days special thing.

The next Aaron/Dauterman Thor OHC is in there, scheduled for December. Can't wait for that! Aaron's Dr Strange is getting Ohc too. Threw me off at first because Duggan and Robinson have credits but I think that was a last days special thing.

So Man-Thing is only getting one volume since it doesn't have a volume 1 next to it. That's a ton of Hulk and Thor collections to release for the movie and it doesn't seem like we'll get any Kirby ones like the Eternals etc.

Only Thor Simonson and Shang-Chi v4 are definites for me there. Still 50-50 on the Planet Hulk Omnibus.

Seeley is doing a Steve Trevor one-shot.

This June, fans can experience the world of Wonder Woman on more than just Hollywood’s silver screen as DC announces a special one-shot story WONDER WOMAN: STEVE TREVOR #1. This tale from writer Tim Seeley (NIGHTWING, GRAYSON) and artist Christian Duce (DETECTIVE COMICS, BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL) introduces a new adventure for the first man who stepped into Wonder Woman’s world in Themyscira.

“Steve and Diana’s longtime friendship, despite their coming from separate worlds, is inspiring. But in this story, we’ll get a chance to see Steve come face to face with a villain from Wonder Woman’s past, who he’ll have to overcome without her help, ” says Seeley. “I’m excited to dive back into the life of Steve Trevor, and give him a new and crazy adventure of his own.”

They have been friends and lovers, but more importantly they have been there for each other over the decades. From Steve’s first moments on Paradise Island to the day that Diana left her home to join Man’s World, they have worked together and fought to protect humanity. But now, Steve Trevor will be forced to face an ancient foe, and he’ll have to do it alone. Where is Wonder Woman? And what will become of Steve Trevor? Find out in this thrilling, action-packed story.

WONDER WOMAN: STEVE TREVOR #1 is on sale June 7.

Way off topic but I know some folks are playing: some of these combat animations in Nier are just fantastic. When you have a spear/great sword loadout and she does the kick the spear into the ground, spin on it and kicks the greatsword at the enemy. Damn.

Bet I won't see anything like that in Iron Fist later!

Top Bottom