• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Finally caught up on Black Panther.

Comics can succeed or fail in lots of interesting and unique ways, and where BP #11 fails - this entire arc, really - is in its sense of scale. This has never felt like the large conflict it was meant to be, and here at the end, it feels like the armies on either side are made up of about fifteen dudes. I don't think there is a single panel in this issue that portrays more than a handful of people. That's a pretty big problem for a story that has been building to this huge battle for an entire year. And what combat there is just isn't very exciting. Oh well.

I'm not feeling the new all-wise Shuri either but her powers are cool

Comics can succeed or fail in lots of interesting and unique ways, and where BP #11 fails - this entire arc, really - is in its sense of scale. This has never felt like the large conflict it was meant to be, and here at the end, it feels like the armies on either side are made up of about fifteen dudes. I don't think there is a single panel in this issue that portrays more than a handful of people. That's a pretty big problem for a story that has been building to this huge battle for an entire year. And what combat there is just isn't very exciting. Oh well.

Hope you're ready to pick up The Crew as well soon.

I had exactly the same problem. Like watching a paintball match.

mreddie

I hope the new arc basically delivers.

Is Black Panther a series worth buying into, yay/nay? Seemed like a big deal when it debuted but folks don't seem so pleased now.

I loved the deliberate setup of the first trade (#1 - #4). But echoshifting's opinions about #11 point towards the pay off for the "season" not being that great. Still definitely worth a read I would think, at least for the art.

Is Black Panther a series worth buying into, yay/nay? Seemed like a big deal when it debuted but folks don't seem so pleased now.

I loved the deliberate setup of the first trade (#1 - #4). But echoshifting's opinions about #11 point towards the pay off for the "season" not being that great. Still definitely worth a read I would think, at least for the art.

I'd still recommend it, with some caveats. The plot is weak; it stumbles badly in several places and I think the writing and the art both really blew it in the climax. In general the series doesn't feel very "comic-booky," so to speak.

But the debate that takes place throughout the arc is still interesting. As a discussion on the complex politics of the region, it is quite engaging. I enjoyed that stuff a lot.

And yeah the art is usually excellent, even jaw-dropping at times.

Great art and content, but it feels like a lecture at times and the most recent issue isn't the best. I still recommend reading it, because it's definitely very different from anything being written right now.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm a big fan of Dysart's Unknown Soldier as an example, so the book not being that comic booky would be the draw for me, the political instability and issues of a foreign country with a different culture and so on sounds fascinating to be honest. You guys all seem to have consistent caveats in regards to the actual execution of the ideas though. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I do my marvel trade catch up soon. Sounds like there would actually interesting things to discuss out of reading it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Problem with his creator's family IIRC. They didn't mention any of the Bradleys during the Cap Anniversary stream or celebration due to it and prevented some creator(Ewing maybe?)from bringing in Patriot for an issue or two like a year ago.

Interesting, I thought the way Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers handled him was weird, but I didn't know about that stuff.

Sandfox

C7IckWBWwAA-xGz
Irish characters.

I'm not too proud to admit that the missus and I watch celebrity big brother when it's on, just so I can share that these guys were on it recently and they are 100% convinced that they not only represent but have the support of ALL of Ireland in their endeavours. Complete belief.

Messi

I'm not too proud to admit that the missus and I watch celebrity big brother when it's on, just so I can share that these guys were on it recently and they are 100% convinced that they not only represent but have the support of ALL of Ireland in their endeavours. Complete belief.

original

No 3 or 4-day passes for NYCC this year.

Fans wishing to get the full four-day experience of New York Comic Con will have to change up their game plan when it comes to purchasing tickets to the massively popular convention's 2017 edition. NYCC has announced that there will be no 3-Day or 4-Day tickets to the 2017 show.

...only single-day tickets for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be available for purchase when tickets go on sale at an unrevealed future date. Additionally, Sunday Kids tickets will also be available for purchase.

Are Bioware really gonna release Mass Effect like that?

Yes. Speculation is that EA forced them to move to the frostbite engine so they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees on the UE3 engine. It makes sense knowing what we know about EA. I'm still looking forward to the game, though I know not to expect Horizon-quality facial animations now.

Hagi

Are Bioware really gonna release Mass Effect like that?

Unless they delay it less than a week before it's out yup. There's not going to be any quick fixes for the poor animations.

Yes. Speculation is that EA forced them to move to the frostbite engine so they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees on the UE3 engine. It makes sense knowing what we know about EA. I'm still looking forward to the game, though I know not to expect Horizon-quality facial animations now.

I dunno i'd put it down to being done by a completely different team than the original trilogy as well.

Sandfox

DC will be having Young Animal and Rebirth panels at Wondercon, though I just expect writers to provide details on their books rather than announcements. Those are always nice because they something go past the solicitations.

Marvel is having a retailer summit so we may get some leaks out of that.

This week's Ms. Marvel was really good. I wasn't expect much from this arc. but Wilson brought the goods and made it work. It's nice to see Kamala finally get a threatening villian and certain moments between characters was just amazing..

I dunno i'd put it down to being done by a completely different team than the original trilogy as well.

That, too. Certainly. There are a lot of variables at work. I'm still extremely surprised that the game is being released without having had any lengthy delays. Haven't pretty much all of the ME trilogy games had delays?

Hagi

That, too. Certainly. There are a lot of variables at work. I'm still extremely surprised that the game is being released without having had any lengthy delays. Haven't pretty much all of the ME trilogy games had delays?

Andromeda was actually supposed to be out last year, 3 was definitely delayed as well till 2012 . Its hard to think they've apparently been on this for 5 years.

Messi

But horizons are dodgy too..

Andromeda was actually supposed to be out last year, 3 was definitely delayed as well till 2012 . Its hard to think they've apparently been on this for 5 years.

Like I was saying, if a new team was forced to work in a new engine and import assets from the old one, it's no wonder things turned out the way they did.

But horizons are dodgy too..

You shut your mouth.

Seriously, some of them are a bit off. But I've also seen some that are simply amazing in terms of conveying emotion. Some of the facial animations in that game are so spot-on it's scary.

ME, across three games, had maybe 4 non forgettable characters and 1 great level. ME: A doesn't look like that large a drop in quality.

I don't think Andromeda is going to be a bad game. Dragon Age II continues to be the standard-bearer of over-streamlining a game.

Don't you mean Dragon Age: I?

Top Bottom