• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bounce was pretty chill. Only part I didn't like where he reminded me of the SpCA commercials. Those things have ruined Sarah McGloughlin for me.

Wool

Retail store. I am one of those people who blast through a volume at the actual store when I am playing catch up on a comic series
I know that I'm a bad person for doing this.

I don't know why it's okay to talk about doing this, but not illegally downloading comics.
Just giving you a hard time.

Necrovex

I don't know why it's okay to talk about doing this, but not illegally downloading comics.
Just giving you a hard time.

I'm always a little surprised that a big book store doesn't give a damn when I, or someone else, read through manga volumes or comic issues. If I was a manager, I would be shooing those people away!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm always a surprise a big book store doesn't give a damn when I, or someone else, read through manga volumes or comic issues. If I was a manager, I would be shooing those people away!
I guess the idea is if you read a book at the comic store you might want to pick it up afterwards, or you might stick around to buy other stuff, or you might buy single issues once you're caught up on trades. The last thing these LCS managers want is to dissuade people from being in their stores. The more people interested in the medium the better. Maybe?

I'm always a little surprised that a big book store doesn't give a damn when I, or someone else, read through manga volumes or comic issues. If I was a manager, I would be shooing those people away!

They probably have actual work to do, unlike people that have time to sit in bookstores and read things without paying.

Acid08

Banned

Oh god you're one of those people?

The Bounce was pretty chill. Only part I didn't like where he reminded me of the SpCA commercials. Those things have ruined Sarah McGloughlin for me.

Yeah it was pretty good but idk it felt like they threw a bunch of shit at a wall and nothing really stuck. Gonna give it a couple more issues.

Necrovex

Oh god you're one of those people?.

Yup. I'm one of those horrible and vile people. Though, I don't go to my local comic shops to do that (I'll buy stuff from them, particularly when I go on a major road trip, and I build up my collection), I'll go to the big brick and motor stores. Not much better, yeah. But, I have to save money for my move next year, and I don't want to abandon the comic medium. Paperbacks cost too much money for me at the moment.

And I just finish college, and work isn't giving me a lot of hours too. So, some weekdays are pretty open with free time when I am not searching for full-time work.

Yup. I'm one of those horrible and vile people. Though, I don't go to my local comic shops to do that (I'll buy stuff from them, particularly when I go on a major road trip, and I build up my collection), I'll go to the big brick and motor stores. Not much better, yeah. But, I have to save money for my move next year, and I don't want to abandon the comic medium. Paperbacks cost too much money for me at the moment.

And I just finish college, and work isn't giving me a lot of hours too. So, some weekdays are pretty open with free time when I am not searching for full-time work.
Go to a library brah and support comic creators and mangakas. Nothing is worse than going to a bookstore and having the books littered with fingerprints, Cheetos, dried cum and God knows what else.

Nudull

Banned
Adventure Time Annual #1
Indestructible Hulk #8
The Last of Us: American Dreams #1-2
New Avengers #6
Sonic The Hedgehog #249
The Wake #1
X-men #1

Pretty damn exciting week for me. Hope my wallet survives it all. :p Also, is the current arc that coming up for TMNT a good jumping on point?

Acid08

Banned
What kind of bookstores do you go to?

One average there are usually 3 or 4 dudes sitting in the comics/manga aisle at the book store when I go, one time there were like 7 or 8. I hate that shit. They block the lower sections, crowd the aisles, and make it hard for me to do anything there. Managers should just kick them out. Comics stores do.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One average there are usually 3 or 4 dudes sitting in the comics/manga aisle at the book store when I go, one time there were like 7 or 8. I hate that shit. They block the lower sections, crowd the aisles, and make it hard for me to do anything there. Managers should just kick them out. Comics stores do.

I was referring to the fact he was complaining about dried cum on the books...

Necrovex

Go to a library brah and support comic creators and mangakas. Nothing is worse than going to a bookstore and having the books littered with fingerprints, Cheetos, dried cum and God knows what else.

Maybe it's time to go the digital route for comics, or buy them only at my local comic store...

When I actually do go to a Books-A-Million, I attempt to find a place away from the traffic. If I am going to read comics at a bookstore, I'll at least not be in the way of other people as I wallow in my shame.

Adventure Time Annual #1

Okay, what's the deal with Adventure Time? I've seen the show a few times, and it's just overly-simplistic, often unfunny bullshit. Is this actually a thing people are into? I'm sorry, perhaps I should rephrase... Is this actually a thing adults are into?

Necrovex

Okay, what's the deal with Adventure Time? I've seen the show a few times, and it's just overly-simplistic, often unfunny bullshit. Is this actually a thing people are into? I'm sorry, perhaps I should rephrase... Is this actually a thing adults are into?

A lot of adults, well at least adults who enjoy animation, are really into Adventure Time. I have only seen parts of the first season (waiting for Netflix to add the other seasons), but a lot of my friends find the show hilarious.

A lot of adults, well at least adults who enjoy animation, are really into Adventure Time. I have only seen parts of the first season (waiting for Netflix to add the other seasons), but a lot of my friends find the show hilarious.

The quality of that artwork barely passes for animation. :p

Is this another MLP/Brony thing?

Maybe it's time to go the digital route for comics, or buy them only at my local comic store...

When I actually do go to a Books-A-Million, I attempt to find a place away from the traffic. If I am going to read comics at a bookstore, I'll at least not be in the way of other people as I wallow in my shame.
You'd be amazed what kind of selection your local library will have.

Necrovex

You'd be amazed what kind of selection your local library will have.

I actually look online at my local library. They are lacking a lot of comics. I've thought about donating some of my older manga (I have a lot of old manga from my hectic otaku days) and older comics to the library. Selling those books are a pain in my ass, and it would probably serve a greater purpose in a library anyway.

Actually, looking at these two local libraries, they seem to have a decent collection; they have all of the avatar comics (The Promise). Might be a good chance to read that series.

I actually look online at my local library. They are lacking a lot of comics. I've thought about donating some of my older manga (I have a lot of old manga from my hectic otaku days) and older comics to the library. Selling those books are a pain in my ass, and it would probably serve a greater purpose in a library anyway.
Your library might also participate in an exchange program, where you can go online and individually request books from other libraries in the system. Like last year I was getting trades from all over Texas. Good stuff like Invincible Ultimate Collections from Podunk towns, GotG and others.

Necrovex

Your library might also participate in an exchange program, where you can go online and individually request books from other libraries in the system. Like last year I was getting trades from all over Texas. Good stuff like Invincible Ultimate Collections from Podunk towns, GotG and others.

Hot damn! Really? I'll have to give that a heavy look at, since I have a library card. I appreciate the heads up on that. I far rather go to my library than a bookstore.

Sweet, we do have a system like that. I appreciate the info, Rafa.

Xux

I've been thinking of picking up that Adventure Time hardcover for awhile. It just looks so damn cool.

Nah, AT is legit. Fans are fucking retarded tho.

e: I should say *some* fans, actually.

At the very least, it seems like the percentage of viewers who base their entire identity on the show is negligible, compared to the portion of people who would use the word brony in any manner except as an insult.

Nudull

Banned

Funny thing is, the majority at my LCS buy AT and the mini-series for their kids, so I seem to be a minority. :p

Holy shit, I want to thank you for mentioning this.

I didn't know the Dallas Public Library system had Invincible/Watchmen/Irredeemable/Batman/Avengers/etc.

What't the best current X-book going on right now? Heard Wood's Ultimate X-Men is pretty great, not sure if I should start with Nick Spencers run which I've heard it pretty slow and doesn't lead much to anywhere. http://www.comicvine.com/ultimate-comics-x-men/4050-42947/

It's not bad. But it's very much a humans vs. mutants book that the main franchise used to be. It's enjoyable for what it is, but it feels outdated at this point compared to 616 canon.

Acid08

Banned
I guess All New X-Men is the best current X-book although some might say Wolverine & The X-Men.

Hoping that Wood's new book is the best of the bunch though.

It's already been posted in the HAWKGUY thread, but it's so darn good that that's not nearly enough posting.

HAWKEYE01102_204b0.jpg
HAWKEYE01103_6e913.jpg

HAWKEYE01104_c7cb7.jpg
HAWKEYE01105_d7c8e.jpg

HAWKEYE01109_cd74e.jpg
HAWKEYE2012011_COV_73c7e.jpg
Source (CBR)

Gonna be an adventure! :D

Necrovex

I still need to catch up on Hawkguy. I've only read up to issue 7, but it's been consistently brilliant.

I finish the first paperback for Hawkeye, which I plan to lend to one of my friends. But another friend of mine has been collecting the issues, I plan to see him sometime this week, so I can catch up to the latest issue. Hawkeye has been utterly brilliant, first Marvel comic I have read in a long while.

Anyone else use the Marvel Unlimited ipad app? I've loved it but the bugs are really getting to me-I can't even download anything to my offline reading list at all anymore, and 90% of the time no comics open at all?

How the hell does this not work properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom