• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For Joker to have a daughter harley would have been pregnant or he would have to have cheated on her. He wouldn't do that... I think.
I never actually believed that Joker really "loves" her in some way. I rather thinks that he only uses her, because he knows how insane in love she is with him. So I dont see why he should not cheat her.

But I can be wrong, I dont know in there is something official regarding this.

Woah, just found out about Marvel Unlimited. It could save me a HUGE amount of cash with some of the older comics and such. Are there any drawbacks to it? I'll be using a Note 8.0 for it.

I subbed for the yearly price which is a way better deal than the monthly cost about two weeks ago. I use a galaxy s4 for reading which actually isn't too bad. I would read some of my Image stuff on Comic rack and that app is better than the marvel app in just about every way. That being said: the marvel unlimited app is functional but it could use a LOT of work. It crashes a lot, but never while reading. Backing out of comics is really weird, and reading crossovers that go from one series to another is a huge hassle unless they happen to have that event listed in the Events tab on the "browse" menu. The library function is wonky but works all right. There is nothing that keeps track of things that you've read other than a recently opened section on the home page.

My biggest complaint is that you can only read single page vertically rather than in landscape mode with zoom. Rotating to landscape mode automatically switches the app to two-panel mode. which lets you do a weird zoom in on each individual page. I greatly prefer to read in landscape mode on my phone and comicrack lets you read single page with zoom-in in both landscape and portrait mode.

The app works though and honestly I like it better than the flash reader via the website. Just don't expect to be blown away by the useability and feature set.

Woah, just found out about Marvel Unlimited. It could save me a HUGE amount of cash with some of the older comics and such. Are there any drawbacks to it? I'll be using a Note 8.0 for it.

I love it. It's a fantastic way to read up on comics that you aren't sure you'd be interested in. And the library is massive so you can browse to your heart's content.

The only downside is you have to be online to read stuff with the computer version, so if your wifi sucks, you're out of luck. There's been a few instances where I am in a spot with godawful wifi and the pages just take forever to load. But it works so great the rest of the time, I don't even care.

Dropped that turd after the first issue. Looks like it's gonna be a wreck.

Same. The art wasn't too bad.... a bit too 90's, but it wasn't bad. The story, though, was just.... Did I ever actually like the Inhumans? I'm sure I did, but this book has me questioning that.

I don't know man...it's a really good Akuma origin story.
XD

I don't know why I waited this long to get into Uncanny Avengers, Remender is amazing.
I read the first few issues then dropped the book because the first arc was a horrible pile of shitty shit. But once people told me the rest of it reads like a continuation of Remender's Uncanny X-Force, I got right back on that horse.
I really wanna see what happens when Joker returns and finds out about Jokers daughter. I'd also like to see how Harley reacts to her, but I guess I'll get to see that one in Suicide Squad.
I don't even know what's going on with Joker's Daughter. How is she even a character? It's like, the flimsiest idea for a character ever... Outside of maybe Captain Nazi.

ElNarez

Banned
Final list of may? Final list of may.

All-Star Western #31
Aquaman #31
Batman #31
Batman Eternal #8
New 52 Future's End #4
Superman #31

C.O.W.L. #1
Deadly Class #5
Fuse #4
Southern Bastards #2
Trees #1

Avengers #30
Deadpool #29
Guardians of the Galaxy #15
Iron Man #26
Iron Patriot #3
Mighty Avengers #10
Ms. Marvel #4
Uncanny Avengers #20
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #4

Messi

Same. The art wasn't too bad.... a bit too 90's, but it wasn't bad. The story, though, was just.... Did I ever actually like the Inhumans? I'm sure I did, but this book has me questioning that.

XD

I read the first few issues then dropped the book because the first arc was a horrible pile of shitty shit. But once people told me the rest of it reads like a continuation of Remender's Uncanny X-Force, I got right back on that horse.

I don't even know what's going on with Joker's Daughter. How is she even a character? It's like, the flimsiest idea for a character ever... Outside of maybe Captain Nazi.

She is queen of the Underground and a member of the new Suicide Squad. She also loves cats.

Also Omg you new avatar is adorable. Pm me the source :) pls

This week's list

DC COMICS
Aquaman #31
Batman #31
Batman Eternal #8
New 52 Futures End #4
Red Lanterns #31
Secret Origins #2
Superman #31 (I'm not eager on supporting Lobdell, but Doomed has been swell)

IDW PUBLISHING
Transformers Robots In Disguise #29

IMAGE COMICS
Chew Revival #1 (I dropped Revival a while ago, I hope it doesn't stop me from enjoying this)
Deadly Class #5
Southern Bastards #2

MARVEL COMICS
Avengers #30
Deadpool #29
Inhuman #2
Ms. Marvel #4
Thunderbolts #26
Uncanny Avengers #20
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #4

Bii

Pull list!

Batman #31
Deadly Class #5
Fuse #4
Iron Patriot #3
Ms Marvel #4

I'll glance at these and see if they're worth a pickup once I'm at my LCS:
Chew/Revival #1
Trees #1
Thanos Annual #1

I subbed for the yearly price which is a way better deal than the monthly cost about two weeks ago. I use a galaxy s4 for reading which actually isn't too bad. I would read some of my Image stuff on Comic rack and that app is better than the marvel app in just about every way. That being said: the marvel unlimited app is functional but it could use a LOT of work. It crashes a lot, but never while reading. Backing out of comics is really weird, and reading crossovers that go from one series to another is a huge hassle unless they happen to have that event listed in the Events tab on the "browse" menu. The library function is wonky but works all right. There is nothing that keeps track of things that you've read other than a recently opened section on the home page.

My biggest complaint is that you can only read single page vertically rather than in landscape mode with zoom. Rotating to landscape mode automatically switches the app to two-panel mode. which lets you do a weird zoom in on each individual page. I greatly prefer to read in landscape mode on my phone and comicrack lets you read single page with zoom-in in both landscape and portrait mode.

The app works though and honestly I like it better than the flash reader via the website. Just don't expect to be blown away by the useability and feature set.

I love it. It's a fantastic way to read up on comics that you aren't sure you'd be interested in. And the library is massive so you can browse to your heart's content.

The only downside is you have to be online to read stuff with the computer version, so if your wifi sucks, you're out of luck. There's been a few instances where I am in a spot with godawful wifi and the pages just take forever to load. But it works so great the rest of the time, I don't even care.
Thanks, guys. I'll pick up a monthly subscription to give it a try, since I need to catch up with some series. The trial comic seemed decent enough, too.
While we're talking about it...

Avengers #1:
what is this and why is it good
Seriously. I can't believe I missed this NOW series.

Korosenai

Is there like, a definitive Deadpool that I should read? I really want to get into Deadpool.

Also, since i'm going to trade in my textbooks to Amazon tomorrow, i'm going to use the money I get to make my first comics purchase ever. Does this list look alright? Anything I should add? I'm not really into DC, so i'm really only looking at Marvel right now:

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Volume 1
Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Solution
Astonishing X-Men By Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Ultimate Collection - Book 1

I'm primarily a manga reader, so this is going to be a really weird transition.

Is there like, a definitive Deadpool that I should read? I really want to get into Deadpool.

Also, since i'm going to trade in my textbooks to Amazon tomorrow, i'm going to use the money I get to make my first comics purchase ever. Does this list look alright? Anything I should add? I'm not really into DC, so i'm really only looking at Marvel right now:

That's a good start. There's plenty more I'd recommend but wait until you work through those. My favorite run of dead pool was Joe Kelly's. Granted he didn't become seemingly his most popular until later. But I enjoyed it because it was more restrained then the Daniel Way series and beyond.

If you've got deep pockets, the Joe Kelly omnibus. Otherwise, the current run is very good apart from the lackluster first arc. "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" is one of my favourite Deadpool stories ever and I've read nearly all of them.

That's a good list of books. Deadpool is great in X-Force but if you want solo Dpooly then Joe Kelly's run is the way to go. Cable and Deadpool is good too.

Avoid Daniel Way's run.

Owzers

I'd get the Nextwave Ultimate Collection over Planet Hulk because it's the best Marvel Comic ever, if you like ridiculous things.

arkon

Uncanny X-Force is getting a complete collection later in the year : link. You might want to wait for that.

For Deadpool, you can start at the beginning with the Deadpool Classic collections.

Boogiepop

Jokers Daughter is not actually his daughter she is just insane and I believe she found his face or made one like it.

For Joker to have a daughter harley would have been pregnant or he would have to have cheated on her. He wouldn't do that... I think.

Edit : yes she found it while living in the sewers under Gotham post Death of the family and sewed it to her face. Then she had a shit arc in my Catwoman stories.

Man, it's entirely based on her awful Villain's Month issue and I realize a character is only as good as they're written so I shouldn't particularly hold it against her, but I definitely groaned a little when she popped up in
Batman Eternal
. Hopefully she's at least a little less godawful there when she starts doing stuff.

Messi

Man, it's entirely based on her awful Villain's Month issue and I realize a character is only as good as they're written so I shouldn't particularly hold it against her, but I definitely groaned a little when she popped up in
Batman Eternal
. Hopefully she's at least a little less godawful there when she starts doing stuff.

I was shocked that she showed up in that.

Are you telling me Queen Nocenti is not a good enough writer to write Jokers Daughter?

Messi

Because when you do that, you end up with storylines called "The Race of Outlaws."

It might be amazing though. Selina caught in a mirror in a race vs other thieves. Its so amazing that Batman Eternal is straight up ignoring that it is happening and is still using Selina.

Korosenai

That's a good start. There's plenty more I'd recommend but wait until you work through those. My favorite run of dead pool was Joe Kelly's. Granted he didn't become seemingly his most popular until later. But I enjoyed it because it was more restrained then the Daniel Way series and beyond.

If you've got deep pockets, the Joe Kelly omnibus. Otherwise, the current run is very good apart from the lackluster first arc. "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" is one of my favourite Deadpool stories ever and I've read nearly all of them.

That's a good list of books. Deadpool is great in X-Force but if you want solo Dpooly then Joe Kelly's run is the way to go. Cable and Deadpool is good too.

Avoid Daniel Way's run.
Looks like Joe Kelly's Deadpool it is then. I'll add it to my amazon wish list for now.

I'd get the Nextwave Ultimate Collection over Planet Hulk because it's the best Marvel Comic ever, if you like ridiculous things.
I just really like Hulk so i'm still going to get Planet Hulk, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

Uncanny X-Force is getting a complete collection later in the year : link. You might want to wait for that.

For Deadpool, you can start at the beginning with the Deadpool Classic collections.
Ooooh, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, i'll probably just switch out Uncanny X-Force then with this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785161953/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And then just buy that Uncanny X-Force collection when it comes out. Would save some money too.

The Chicago Organized Workers List
C.O.W.L. #1
Dead Body Road #6
Deadly Class #5
Fuse #4
Southern Bastards #2
Trees #1

Batman #31
Batman Eternal #8
New 52 Futures End #4

Avengers #30
Giant Size Spider-Man #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #15
Inhuman #2
Ms. Marvel #4
Thanos Annual #1
Uncanny Avengers #20
Winter Soldier Bitter March #4
Wolverine #7

Zombine

Banned
Imagine if Kirkman's Outcast is the origin of The Walking Dead while Invincible is a show that ran in the world of TWD before the outbreak.

emrknjp.gif

Thanks, guys. I'll pick up a monthly subscription to give it a try, since I need to catch up with some series. The trial comic seemed decent enough, too.
While we're talking about it...

Avengers #1:
what is this and why is it good
Seriously. I can't believe I missed this NOW series.

Just wait until you get to Avengers #28. I might be slightly biased, but I think that's the best issue of the run.

Also, if you get Marvel Unlimited, you should check out Superior Spider-Man and Indestructible Hulk. And Waid's Daredevil run. And Superior Foes of Spider-Man. A good portion of all of those Now series are on Marvel Unlimited.

Owzers

In hindsight compared to what they are doing in the current Superman books it doesn't really hold up as well. But, I don't know, I'm still a sucker for a good Jim Lee book.

I'm hopeful that Johns and Romita put out a good superman, i really liked Johns' Action Comics run but it's been a long time since i liked anything by Johns.

I'm hopeful that Johns and Romita put out a good superman, i really liked Johns' Action Comics run but it's been a long time since i liked anything by Johns.

Even aquaman? that was good reading. And his backup stories for shazam in JLA.

I like the book but don't love it. It was the best Supes book when it came out, but now that Pak's Action series is up and running, its less of a highlight. still a fun story over all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom