• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, I kinda like it. Now we know who's opinions on comic book storytelling not to listen to.

That is one way to look at it.

I'm glad they finally closed out the Blackman/Williams story arc in the Batwoman Annual. Batwoman might be up for dropping now. It's not a bad book by any means, but it isn't dazzling me.

Awful. No artist turns me away from well written comics faster than Quitely.

Has anyone photoshopped that Emma Frosts hair onto that Professor X? The facial features and even the angle are just perfect. Could one tell the difference?! ;)

I'm glad they finally closed out the Blackman/Williams story arc in the Batwoman Annual. Batwoman might be up for dropping now. It's not a bad book by any means, but it isn't dazzling me.

I'm definitely enjoying the drama portion of Batwoman more than the painting crime spree at the moment.

kmfdmpig

Looking it up apparenty it was an anonymous message sent to Janelle Asselin over the TT comic cover debacle.

She's also been receiving a lot of sexist comments and rape threats.

People are seriously fucked up.

People are ridiculous. I thought it was a dumb article which propped up that cover as the epitome of all that's wrong in comics when there are many worse each month. The rebuttal to that is "see - that's the problem", but if that's the point examining several to show how widespread the issue is would have been better.

I don't understand the need to attack the writer, however. Feeling an article is dumb doesn't mean it's open season on the writer, and obviously the types of comments she's received are out of bounds in any event.

Without looking it up, ima assume its about the teen titans cover and the incredibly sad twitter comments by bret booth i think?

Yyyyup. You'd be right.

People have shown their ass really badly during this whole thing. Between this and that weird t-shirt, it's been a really reductive few weeks.

I mean, just read that shit again. It sounds like some fucked up Anonymous-lite manifesto a thirteen year-old tries to write.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I'm glad everyone else is agreeing that Watchmen was pretty boring. The whole time I was reading it, I just figured I wasn't intellectually superior enough to find it absolutely enthralling. With that said, I just got V for Vendetta (got it for like $3 used, so I figured why not), and I'm hoping I like it a lot more than I liked Watchmen, cause the movie is one of my all time favorites.

Also, can we please stop the Quitely/Burnham hate? It hurts me in the center of my soul.

Daytripper is straight up humans doing human things, I've read a bit of it and keeping meaning to get the collection. There are lots of autobio comics that are very good, sometimes a bit too serious, I don't know quite what you're after. Fun Home and Pedro and Me are good examples. Maus is rightfully a classic, I only read it a few years back and was blown away, an excellent WW2 story and a story about families.

Daytripper was the book I immediately thought of when he asked for recommendations about "regular people and stuff." I definitely second this recommendation.

Read the free issue of Madman. I think I'm going to buy the trade, I loved it. Becoming a big fan of the Allreds.

I'm so upset that the two big Madman hardcover collections are OOP and super expensive. I haven't read any Madman, but I'd buy those with very little hesitation.

Messi

Deadly Class is reading better second time around. Don't think it's as amazing as some of you seem to think though. It's well made.

Deadly Class is reading better second time around. Don't think it's as amazing as some of you seem to think though. It's well made.

Yeah? And your thoughts on how Marcus
straight murders a dude who didn't deserve it for absolutely no reason? Unless issue 4 somehow justifies this I just can't be sympathetic to him. He hasn't earned that yet.

Man, seriously, it's like those weepy YouTube videos about people who can't taste food or whatever.

I hope someday medical technology advances to the point where you can read We3.

Birdie have you ever considered that maybe you've just reached your final form and ascended beyond us?

straight murders a dude who didn't deserve it for absolutely no reason? Unless issue 4 somehow justifies this I just can't be sympathetic to him. He hasn't earned that yet.

Birdie have you ever considered that maybe you've just reached your final form and ascended beyond us?

In issue 4
Marcus is on trial at the school and his punishment is to be expelled which they kinda elude to being death. Marcus insist that the old guy said he killed a whole village in Nam and that's why he did it. You can tell Marcus has a dark side though. Eventually the fate of Marcus lies with the kid that he was with and he backs up Marcus in every way and they are both punished but not expelled. The rest of the issue is Marcus sneaking out with a group of kids and they take a road trip to go kill this one kids dad and they want Marcus to do it. Stops along the way are filled with drug filled colorful pages that show the psyche of Marcus even more. Book ends with them still traveling.

Messi

I thought it implied
that the man under the bridge had abused him when he was homeless.
I could be wrong though.

Messi

Holy shit, I just read that fourth issue of Deadly Class for the first time. That was amazing. All of it. Awesome. Very different feel that the other issues.

Gonna take back any awful shit I said about this book. I actually get why it won this month's book of the month so handedly.

One thing, I am awful with names can someone tell me the two girls names?

One thing, I am awful with names can someone tell me the two girls names?

Saya and Maria.
Does land actually do that?

tumblr_inline_n3t53ms0Od1qb8wg6.jpg

gerg

Clippers beat the Warriors and Curry fans can't handle it, taking it out on Frank Quitely.

I think what doesn't help discussions like the one in this thread is the reductive attitude people take to an artist and their work. I think there's a fair argument to be made about the manner in which Quitely draws his people, although one that is perhaps more stylistic than technical, but reducing all the qualities of Quitely's work to that one aspect is, at best, reductive. Hell, there are aspects to the way in which Greg Land draws that I like, and I think he's a pretty shit artist overall.

(Or, to use a classical example, Turner is rightly lauded as being one of the first Impressionist artists, and yet he couldn't draw people for shit.)

Owzers

I find Quitely's lumpy people endearing.

Doop #1: I so wanted to like this book but i thought it was terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. I wouldn't even classify this as a story it was so thin, at least the ending tried to set up the rest of the series but i'm not hopeful.

Omega

Banned
Holy shit.

I mean, holy shit. It was a comic book cover.

Smh. I know every hobby has it's elite class shitheads but I feel like my two favorite hobbies (comics and video games) have the worst of the worst.

Anyway on a positive note, how was Ghost Rider and Ms Marvel? I haven't been keeping up with these threads over the past few months

Still plowing through a lot of batman/JL/JLA/Earth2/superman series comics. Why hasn't Shazam recieved his own solo series yet? I tend to think someone like him might be more popular than other issues that have their own runs. I guess his rogue gallery is kind of limited, but that isn't really a problem with how many villains he could borrow.

Owzers

Tangent: Should i start ordering Batman and Robin again at issue #33/Robin Rises? I dropped it because i didn't like the long first arc and wasn't interesting and i didn't pick it back up again.

Tangent: Should i start ordering Batman and Robin again at issue #33/Robin Rises? I dropped it because i didn't like the long first arc and wasn't interesting and i didn't pick it back up again.

Kind of a big unknown. I've loved Tomasi' stuff so I'm pretty biased. Maybe give it a shot and see... ?

Who would you all consider as your favorite artist if you could only pick one?

Al Plastino. Love his Silver Age work.

Any of you guys know much about The New 52: Future's End? It looks to have nothing to do with the current Batman Beyond Universe line more that they are dropping Terry McGinnis into the main DC comic universe. I can't seem to find out though if this will just be one series or multiple ones as I swear I saw a mention on one of the DC blogs about there being multiple Future's End crossovers mid summer but I can't find any details about it. Trying to decide if I want to dive in with single issues or wait on trades.

Any of you guys know much about The New 52: Future's End? It looks to have nothing to do with the current Batman Beyond Universe line more that they are dropping Terry McGinnis into the main DC comic universe. I can't seem to find out though if this will just be one series or multiple ones as I swear I saw a mention on one of the DC blogs about there being multiple Future's End crossovers mid summer but I can't find any details about it. Trying to decide if I want to dive in with single issues or wait on trades.

To my knowledge, Future's End is going to bring Terry into the New 52 (re: Mainline Universe) without affecting the current Batman Beyond Universe book. You're going to have New 52 Terry and a DCAU Terry. Future's End is going to be a weekly book starting May 7th and running until sometime next March. The other Future's End titles are going to be one shots during September, that will show those particular titles set during the Future's End (re: 5 years after the current time) timeline.

Maybe something like Y The Last Man would be good for you. Grounded, realistic characters, no super shenanigans. Good adventure post apocalypse story. Preacher is also a classic, quite lurid and satirical like your good self.

Daytripper is straight up humans doing human things, I've read a bit of it and keeping meaning to get the collection. There are lots of autobio comics that are very good, sometimes a bit too serious, I don't know quite what you're after. Fun Home and Pedro and Me are good examples. Maus is rightfully a classic, I only read it a few years back and was blown away, an excellent WW2 story and a story about families.

Will second Maus, I picked it up a few months ago and it was really, really good. The mouse thing is kind of silly at first but I think it helped to draw me in.

Who would you all consider as your favorite artist if you could only pick one?

Tough. It would depend of what they're drawing, I definitely associate artists with certain characters. In a pinch I would say John Cassaday despite his Uncanny Avengers being pretty bad. Astonishing X-Men and Planetary have some of my favourite art ever and I adore his Lone Ranger covers.

TNLRDefin01SlipCaseCassaday.jpg

Man, seriously, it's like those weepy YouTube videos about people who can't taste food or whatever.

I hope someday medical technology advances to the point where you can read We3.

Brilliant. You're quite talented at not addressing my complaints but instead making childish assertions about medical conditions or laying out silly strawman arguments to make your case.

I've stated that Quitely cannot draw faces and everything he does looks like crap. You made up some dumb argument for me where apparently I said all his faces are identical (which I never stated), then backed it up by posting two side by side faces that are absolutely atrocious garbage.

Thanks for making my case for me.

I realize that comic book fans can be insular to the point of justifying the absurd, but there's even division within the ranks about Quitely. Sadly, your opinion on the topic is no more valid than ours. Even his biggest fans recognize that his face work ranges from bad to God awful. Trying to dismiss that is silly.

If you take a Quitely drawing of the X-Men or Superman to people familiar with the characters but not hardcore comic fans, you'll get a bunch of head scratching and disbelief. I've shown his New X-Men run to my wife, brothers, and several coworkers and they think I'm trolling them. "This is bad fan art, right?"

Sometimes separation from the subject grants a more objective perspective. I highly doubt that future generations of comic fans will hold Quitely in high regard. It'll be more along the lines of "people liked this crap?"

Capullo is pretty great. As is Rafael Albuquerque. I love Fiona Staples but haven't seen enough of her work sans Saga.

Sticking just to modern artists, I'd say Staples is my clear favorite. Aja and Albuquerque are also excellent. I only know Skottie Young from his cover variants, but love those as well.

frye

-People used to redraw Kirby's faces at DC yo

-For real, Kirby/Romita Jr blockfaces, Pope/Warren/Allred fishfaces, and Quitely/Burnham potato faces are all cool.

-Also I like Watchmen and don't think it's really overrated. That's a sweet comic. Like it better than Flex tbh (though not as much as Enigma)

tim1138

-People used to redraw Kirby's faces at DC yo

-For real, Kirby/Romita Jr blockfaces, Pope/Warren/Allred fishfaces, and Quitely/Burnham potato faces are all cool.

-Also I like Watchmen and don't think it's really overrated. That's a sweet comic. Like it better than Flex tbh (though not as much as Enigma)

Yep, DC HATED the way he drew Superman and had someone redraw his face every time Kirby used him.

And I swear, if people start talking mess about Kirby I'm done.

Flex and watchmen are 2 sides of the same coin.

One is all superheroes suck the other is like superheroes are awesome

Both are really good

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've stated that Quitely cannot draw faces and everything he does looks like crap. You made up some dumb argument for me where apparently I said all his faces are identical (which I never stated), then backed it up by posting two side by side faces that are absolutely atrocious garbage.

Uuuhhh. How else would you like him to respond to "everything he does looks like crap"? "No, everything he does does not look like crap."

You can't make a pretty vague, very harsh criticism of a very well-regarded artist and demand a well-articulated, evidence-supported response.

Also, after all this Quitely talk, I decided to start re-reading All Star Superman this morning. I've been paying careful attention to the faces and they're just fine in my opinion... Not 100% anatomically correct, but they show emotion very well and fit in with Quitely's style. And All Star Superman overall is even better than I remembered it. So great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom