• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Brilliant. You're quite talented at not addressing my complaints but instead making childish assertions about medical conditions or laying out silly strawman arguments to make your case.

I've stated that Quitely cannot draw faces and everything he does looks like crap. You made up some dumb argument for me where apparently I said all his faces are identical (which I never stated), then backed it up by posting two side by side faces that are absolutely atrocious garbage.

Thanks for making my case for me.

I realize that comic book fans can be insular to the point of justifying the absurd, but there's even division within the ranks about Quitely. Sadly, your opinion on the topic is no more valid than ours. Even his biggest fans recognize that his face work ranges from bad to God awful. Trying to dismiss that is silly.

If you take a Quitely drawing of the X-Men or Superman to people familiar with the characters but not hardcore comic fans, you'll get a bunch of head scratching and disbelief. I've shown his New X-Men run to my wife, brothers, and several coworkers and they think I'm trolling them. "This is bad fan art, right?"

Sometimes separation from the subject grants a more objective perspective. I highly doubt that future generations of comic fans will hold Quitely in high regard. It'll be more along the lines of "people liked this crap?"

I'm not usually quiet this blunt but here goes - you deserve to have the piss taken out of you because your opinion is stupid. Willfully stupid. Birdie does not need to argue with you because you are not making a point worth arguing against. You are threadshitting, and it's pathetic. Give up.

The sheer levels of idiocy over the weekend have made me bite my tongue on multiple occasions. As fans of a medium, it's actually offensive to see dumbfucks shitting on some of comics' greatest talents. It's like hearing people argue against free healthcare or something.

Art and taste are subjective, but denying Quitely's objective talent and skill is gross and I'm not sure if I even want to post here any more. It's all knockabout fun usually, but when I'm seriously starting to find these opinions repugnant I'm not sure if it's worth it just to talk to some nerds any more.

LIST:
BOOM!:
REVELATIONIS #5
THE WOODS #1

DARK HORSE:
BAD BLOOD #5/5

DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #5
DETECTIVE COMICS #31
FUTURES END #1 (maybe)
GREEN ARROW #31
SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #4 (maybe)
THE WAKE #8

IMAGE:
RAT QUEENS #6

MARVEL:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.1
BLACK WIDOW #6
IRON FIST #2
MILES MORALES ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1
MOON KNIGHT #3
ORGINAL SIN #1
PUNISHER #5
SHE HULK #4 (maybe)

It's an odd way to start a comic. Make all the main characters total pricks and only just now start to soften them a little. I'm curious to see how this ties into the LSH timeline.

I don't believe that JL3K will tie into LSH at all. Originally I think when they scrapped LSH and did JL3K they intended for it to be a replacement and capitalize on the Justice League brand. But with some tidbits from Superboy and the solicit from Justice League United Future's End, I now think thusly;

JL3K is set in the 31st Century. (JL3K)
LSH is (now) set in the 41st Century and inspired by Superboy (Kon?) rather than Clark? (Superboy)
JLU Future's End will be the first appearance of the LSH since they were canceled so we'll see which version it is.

The sheer levels of idiocy over the weekend have made me bite my tongue on multiple occasions. As fans of a medium, it's actually offensive to see dumbfucks shitting on some of comics' greatest talents. It's like hearing people argue against free healthcare or something.

Art and taste are subjective, but denying Quitely's objective talent and skill is gross and I'm not sure if I even want to post here any more. It's all knockabout fun usually, but when I'm seriously starting to find these opinions repugnant I'm not sure if it's worth it just to talk to some nerds any more.

The snarky side of me wants to say "Welcome to the experience of being a current DC fan", but the serious side of me says, "Art can never be anything but subjective. Objectively I can say, yes Quietly can draw groups of lines that look like people, places and things very well, but everything else is going to be subjective. The devil is in the details and whether you like those details is what really matters". - And really, these arguments are cyclical. It happens every few months when something triggers it and we end up with a few pages of Greg Land faces. It'll pass and we can get back to the fights that really matter.

Ephidel

JLU Future's End will be the first appearance of the LSH since they were canceled so we'll see which version it is.
They're totally going to cheat and just give us the stranded Legion Lost-ers back instead of actually showing us the New52 Standard Dimension's Legion :p

They're totally going to cheat and just give us the stranded Legion Lost-ers back instead of actually showing us the New52 Standard Dimension's Legion :p

I'd even be OK with that if only to find out what happened to them. ;l

Yeah I have been, really I get it for my daughter, she likes Scooby-doo a lot
I totally don't get it just for her..
Its decent, it is a fun book.

Hmm! I do have a soft spot for Scooby. Maybe I'll get it for my nephew. Yes... for him...

Black Science #6

This look into just how fucked you can get continues to escalate.

Some thoughts:

We'll see the MC again. We didn't actually see him die and we know the gas-monkeys have a Pillar.

This is definitely later seasons Sliders now with a few original members and now Aztec Shaman and Gas-Lady.

Kadir needs to get fucked. But I also kind of like him in a Lost in Space Dr. sort of way.

In regards to Futures End #0, what did everyone think of the final panel? Close examination reveals many interesting details,
seemingly indicating there has been a war between multiple Earths, or against a common foe. There is a poster for an "IPSO FACTO" (a British band) reunion tour benefiting veterans of "E2" (Earth 2?), as well as a billboard for the ERA (Earth Registration Authority); "Carry your Earth card everywhere you go. So we ... (couldn't make out this word) be sure". This suggests the existence of multiple Earths is common and public knowledge, possibly a consequence of Forever Evil.
What if the upcoming Earth 2 weekly, "World's End", is
exactly that, the end of Earth 2 and the survivors, the "veterans" mentioned in the final panel of Futures End, move to Prime Earth permanently?

Who would you all consider as your favorite artist if you could only pick one?

hmmmmm right now I'm going to say Amanda Conner. That's just a gut response right now. Ohhh or Capullo, he's been fucking killing it on Batman, and there's some John Byrne stuff from the 80's that just really connects with me..... And yeah Fiona Staples is doing great work in Saga, and there's so many killer artists through out the years DAMN IT I CAN'T PICK ONE!

In regards to Futures End #0, what did everyone think of the final panel? Close examination reveals many interesting details,
seemingly indicating there has been a war between multiple Earths, or against a common foe. There is a poster for an "IPSO FACTO" (a British band) reunion tour benefiting veterans of "E2" (Earth 2?), as well as a billboard for the ERA (Earth Registration Authority); "Carry your Earth card everywhere you go. So we ... (couldn't make out this word) be sure". This suggests the existence of multiple Earths is common and public knowledge, possibly a consequence of Forever Evil.
exactly that, the end of Earth 2 and the survivors, the "veterans" mentioned in the final panel of Futures End, move to Prime Earth permanently?

There have been strong hints that the Event that is set to happen next March is in fact
"Earth War".

My theory I've been toying with: Earth 2 is going to be so devastated by the Wars with Apokalips that they are going to search for a new home, specifically, Earth Prime, considering they already have a strong connection and a bridge between them. We know that Earth 2 is ahead in technology because of the reverse engineering of Apokalyptian technology. This could give them an edge against Earth Prime.

Mindwipe

It says
"Carry your Earth card everywhere you go. So we can ALL be sure."

I don't believe that JL3K will tie into LSH at all. Originally I think when they scrapped LSH and did JL3K they intended for it to be a replacement and capitalize on the Justice League brand. But with some tidbits from Superboy and the solicit from Justice League United Future's End, I now think thusly;

JL3K is set in the 31st Century. (JL3K)
LSH is (now) set in the 41st Century and inspired by Superboy (Kon?) rather than Clark? (Superboy)

The snarky side of me wants to say "Welcome to the experience of being a current DC fan", but the serious side of me says, "Art can never be anything but subjective. Objectively I can say, yes Quietly can draw groups of lines that look like people, places and things very well, but everything else is going to be subjective. The devil is in the details and whether you like those details is what really matters". - And really, these arguments are cyclical. It happens every few months when something triggers it and we end up with a few pages of Greg Land faces. It'll pass and we can get back to the fights that really matter.
Remember brah Legion was teased to be Earth 2.

Chog is getting a plushie. So schway.

About 70 pages into Boxers (of Boxers and Saints). I'm enjoying it. It's got a very children's book quality too it while also playing up mythological Chinese imagery.

Remember brah Legion was teased to be Earth 2.

Yeah except that was dumb and will probably be ignored just like the Legion Lost on Earth Prime have been bro.

clockpunk

Finally caught up on IDW's Ghostbusters series, mid-way through the 30th anniversary event Mass Hysteria.

I think it is fantastic, and love that they legitimately worked the rookie from the videogame into the series.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Rorsach

These days, a lot of comics illustrators straight up trace from Google Street View, 3D models and background scenes, and yes Google Image Search. You can call it lazy that they're not outside with their cameras and sketchbooks capturing these images themselves but it's a standard practice and pretty much every comics illustrators does it, some are just better at hiding it than Greg Land.

Even the old masters traced. They used a camera obscura to project an image onto their canvas and traced that. Look at Rembrands Night Watch.

The problem wiith the art from Land is that it's overused and sometimes completely out of context (like My Name Is Ed mentioned before). You come across the same "girl with smile" a couple of times in the same book and sometimes the characters are pulling faces that are completely out of sync with the story.

Of all the words to miss, I miss like. Oh well people got the point. Just curious, couldn't say I enjoyed it but it's being praised by so many.

On the other hand I'm on the last volume of Y The Last Man which is hype!

ReiGun

ReiGun so moe for Ms. Marvel.
Kamala-chan is so kawaii. :3

I Ms Marvel'd once, it was kind of awkward and I don't remember much from that night...

It's always like that the first time.

Of all the words to miss, I miss like. Oh well people got the point. Just curious, couldn't say I enjoyed it but it's being praised by so many.
I read the first issue and it did nothing for me. My official stance on the book is "I'm happy it exists and I'm glad to see so many people rallying behind a new character, especially one from a demo underrepresented in the superhero medium, but I have no interest in reading the book myself."

Without any judge on quality, you're going to see very vocal supporters because of the nature of the character, who will want to champion it so that it succeeds and thrives: New characters struggle and often see their titles canceled if they don't get a large enough and passionate fan base that can support them.

On the other hand I'm on the last volume of Y The Last Man which is hype!

When you are done, come back, let us have a moment and remember the feels.

Bought Earth X on sale, here with extra shitty pic in my extremely well-lit room

icZBrJo.jpg

First physical comic since I bought the entire Blacksad set.

Anything worth checking out in the Marvel Monday/Jason Aaron comiXology sale?

I can understand how people may be put off by how Quitely draws people, but the man makes undeniably excellent art. You cannot find a better story teller IMO

I'm surprised no one has brought up JH Williams III as their favorite artist. For me, it used to be Bryan Hitch.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Black Science #6

This look into just how fucked you can get continues to escalate.

Some thoughts:

We'll see the MC again. We didn't actually see him die and we know the gas-monkeys have a Pillar.

This is definitely later seasons Sliders now with a few original members and now Aztec Shaman and Gas-Lady.

Kadir needs to get fucked. But I also kind of like him in a Lost in Space Dr. sort of way.

My feeling:
Monkey-Grant helps regular-crushed-spine Grant live, regular-crushed-spine Grant frees the monkeys from those parasitic plants, regular-crushed-spine Grant becomes king of the monkey people and comes in to save his kids and Kadir in the last issue of the next arc.

Black Science is just fucking ruthlessly awesome, and moves at such an impressive pace, that every page and encounter and exchange seems vital.

My feeling:
Monkey-Grant helps regular-crushed-spine Grant live, regular-crushed-spine Grant frees the monkeys from those parasitic plants, regular-crushed-spine Grant becomes king of the monkey people and comes in to save his kids and Kadir in the last issue of the next arc.

Black Science is just fucking ruthlessly awesome, and moves at such an impressive pace, that every page and encounter and exchange seems vital.

It's like Mad Men with Interdimensional Travel.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He's my favorite behind Amanda Conner. His spreads in Batwoman are absolutely gorgeous.

Check out his two Sandman Overture issues for some of his most experimental paneling. Some truly awe-inspiring stuff.

Tizoc

I seem to have majority of Morrison's run pre Batman Inc:
Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman & Robin
Half of the TPBs I have hardcovers too!

Filthy Slug

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman & Robin

Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne. It chronicles how Bruce gets back to the modern DCU and it's pretty rad. Six issues, six different artists, one Batman fighting his way through time.

I read the first issue and it did nothing for me. My official stance on the book is "I'm happy it exists and I'm glad to see so many people rallying behind a new character, especially one from a demo underrepresented in the superhero medium, but I have no interest in reading the book myself."
Yeah. When I think about it, that's my stance. I felt happy to see people really pushing for diversity but I felt book itself was pretty shallow. I'll continue to read it and hope it matures over time.

When you are done, come back, let us have a moment and remember the feels.

I am hyped!

He's my favorite behind Amanda Conner. His spreads in Batwoman are absolutely gorgeous.

I've heard of Amanda Conner in various books but Pro really got me into her art. Amazing stuff and well a good read.

tim1138

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman & Robin

Don't forget Time and the Batman. It helps fill in those RIP and Final Crisis gaps.

ReAxion

VEIL #3
ALEX + ADA #6
NAILBITER #1
RAT QUEENS #6
REVIVAL #20

BLACK WIDOW #6
CYCLOPS #1
IRON FIST LIVING WEAPON #2
LOKI AGENT OF ASGARD #4
MAGNETO #3
MILES MORALES ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1
MOON KNIGHT #3
ORIGINAL SIN #1
SHE-HULK #4

big week? big week.

I'm not usually quiet this blunt but here goes - you deserve to have the piss taken out of you because your opinion is stupid. Willfully stupid. Birdie does not need to argue with you because you are not making a point worth arguing against. You are threadshitting, and it's pathetic. Give up.

Except he's not objectively great at drawing faces, which is the point I have tried to make. The only willfully stupid post I've read in the discussion so far is yours, which is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "Nah, nah, nah, I can't heeeear you." Or a more appropriate comparison here is burying your head in the sand. I expect that behavior from my three year old son, not a purported adult.

I realize that attempting to compare criticism with Quitely as criticism against free healthcare might help you feel better about your opinion, but that sort of absurd reductionism makes me genuinely question your ability to reason. Your "comparison," to paraphrase Billy Madison, is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

Do you have something to contribute to the discussion, or was your entire intent to shit on my opinion (and that of several others in the thread)? Do you feel better getting this off your chest? Does it personally hurt your feelings that I don't think Quitely's art is very good?

Get over it. I haven't attacked anyone or their opinions, just stated my own. Many have agreed with me. Many have disagreed. It's called a discussion on a discussion-based forum. If you can't handle it and participate like an adult, maybe you should follow your heart and stop posting?

List! Much larger haul than usual, with lots of goodies coming out.

Alex + Ada #6
Fatale #22 - final issue, right?
Rat Queens #6
Revenge #3

Marvel
Black Widow #6
Cyclops #1
Iron Fist The Living Weapon #2
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man #1
Miracleman #5
Moon Knight #3
Punisher #5

Maybe
Original Sin #1 - I haven't followed the news here. What is this and should I care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom