• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

They've gotten way better as of late. Animal Man and DC One Million are great quality Omnibuses, so I'll gladly take a new Gotham Central omnibus.

Really? I'd heard some not-so-good things about Animal Man's omnibus edition. I really want to read it, though.

You're catching on, Mumei

I bought the Planetary Omnibus and the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus. I had read about the difference in binding quality, but experiencing it is completely different. I still feel like I'm going to break Planetary no matter how gentle I am with it.

m4NZgCpdvQLh3OjKbU7oULA.jpg

these come in handy

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Anyone read Neil Gaiman's run on Eternals? I finished Marvel 1602 and may give it a read if it's on par with 1602.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I enjoyed it but was disappointed that it's used as a way to launch a new series, so don't expect any closure to the story.

Thanks. I'll hold off and get to reading Fraction's run on Iron Fist and Bendis' run on Daredevil.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Really? I'd heard some not-so-good things about Animal Man's omnibus edition. I really want to read it, though.

The packaging is fantastic, but it feels a bit stiff with the pages and whatnot when you first start reading. That would be my only complaint. DC has been improving their omnibus line pretty substantially. They trying, man.

But DC One Million is pretty much prefect. Pretty rad stories so far, too.

LosDaddie

Banned
Just ordered the Annihilation omnibus for half off with free shipping from IST. :)

Get on that if you wanted it. I don't think there'll be a better deal. 50% off is my trigger price.

Guys...is it too nerdy to read Batman: Hush on your phone while listening to The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack...also playing from your phone?

No...okay cool.

Hush was great.

The Jim Lee art was great. The story is a mess, like with most stuff Jeph Loeb puts out. It serves as this revolving door for him to showcase all of Batman's notable rogues gallery, like Don Sterling leading someone into the Clippers' showers to show off all those "beautiful black bodies." They're not there for any reason borne out of the story organically developing and requiring them, they're simply trotted out and given their five minutes of panel time because Loeb feels like showing them off. And it's always this mystery story that Loeb likes to weave that doesn't tend to make any real sense but just kinda meanders here and there like some Lindelof creation and you're just supposed to go with it but doesn't stand up to any rational scrutiny. In most mystery novels, the author invites you to play along and try to decipher the mystery along with the protagonist. But Loeb's mystery plotlines are so nonsensical and convoluted that there's no point, because it'll undoubtedly come out of nowhere and be something that nobody could've ever reached just from the clues.

And I haven't even mentioned the baffling motivations behind the mystery villain in Hush.

I admire the eye candy in Hush, but there's about it. The only Jeph Loeb story I actually like is Superman for All Seasons.

tim1138

Hush is a great "My first Batman" book. You have Jim Lee's slick art, all the popular characters, and a recognizable writer. Beyond that, it's a bad story and there's tons of better stuff to read.

Messi

Hush is a great "My first Batman" book. You have Jim Lee's slick art, all the popular characters, and a recognizable writer. Beyond that, it's a bad story and there's tons of better stuff to read.

Its one of the books that got me back into comics. Its a good first batman book for all the reasons you listed.

fertygo

I guess that's why its being listed for must read for new reader at some site when I'm looking to google some moment ago :(
Oh well the art is slick. and maybe I'm not gonna recognize the bad before awhile..

Messi

Anyone feel like helping me pick out what old pre new 52 Catwoman trades are worth reading? I have read Bru's catwoman books which are incredible. But I would like to read some more stuff from that era but there seems to be a few different books.

Busaiku

So I decided to get Marvel Unlimited on a whim.
I never really read too many things, what're some good stories from the last 5 or so years that aren't X-Men or Avengers related?

Will be checking out Superior Spiderman.

diaspora

So I decided to get Marvel Unlimited on a whim.
I never really read too many things, what're some good stories from the last 5 or so years that aren't X-Men or Avengers related?

Will be checking out Superior Spiderman.

Be sure to check out The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt as well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Quick question: Is Batman Eternal directly related to Snyder's Batman? Like, if I haven't read Snyder's Batman yet but plan to, would I be spoiled by reading Batman Eternal?

They did those, they're on my shelf.

Aren't the Gotham Central hardcovers standard size, not deluxe? And either way, they're OOP and pretty expensive IIRC.

Quick question: Is Batman Eternal directly related to Snyder's Batman? Like, if I haven't read Snyder's Batman yet but plan to, would I be spoiled by reading Batman Eternal?

Four issues in that hasn't been the case so I think you should be relatively safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom