• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Those hot Kevin Wada covers are probably selling more She Hulk than anything else :D (though I've been enjoying it so far)

I need to finish up last month's comic pile - I generally just read them at work when we have a lot of time to kill and this month's order is already on its' way from Midtown.

Iron Fist is only one issue in, so fuck being judgmental about it yet. The #2 preview CBR posted looked pretty rad.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, I just know from the tone of the first story that it's probably not gonna be up my alley. I'll give the next two issues a chance at least.

Boogiepop

Think I'm going to check out the first hardcover that Fantagraphics puts out for that stuff.

Oh man. I just looked it up because I was getting pretty hyped off that FCBD story. It looks like... they're releasing their own sets out of order? Is that right? I'm a little confused.

arkon

Oh man. I just looked it up because I was getting pretty hyped off that FCBD story. It looks like... they're releasing their own sets out of order? Is that right? I'm a little confused.

From what I understand they're doing the Carl Barks stuff out of order. There's a few volumes of that stuff out already. The Don Rosa stuff seems to be coming in order (or at least labelled as volume 1 and 2). Don't think any of that has been released yet. I see one volume listed for July and one for October on Amazon UK.

How is Annihilation?

It was solid. But it leads into a lot of cosmic stuff from pre-Marvel NOW times. The last Guardians of the Galaxy series, War of Kings, Realm of Kings.... Even bits of Son of Hulk. Reading it, I feel, is largely inconsequential at this point. Fun series, but I passed on the omnibus.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was solid. But it leads into a lot of cosmic stuff from pre-Marvel NOW times. The last Guardians of the Galaxy series, War of Kings, Realm of Kings.... Even bits of Son of Hulk. Reading it, I feel, is largely inconsequential at this point. Fun series, but I passed on the omnibus.

What does Marvel NOW have to do with anything? It wasn't a continuity reboot.

What does Marvel NOW have to do with anything? It wasn't a continuity reboot.

I understand that, but it was a good ways back. I wouldn't read it at this point unless I was going to read the stories that followed as well. It's a bit of a commitment for something so far back when a few minutes of wikipedia would get you up to speed much quicker. I apparently didn't find it as memorable as some people.

I understand that, but it was a good ways back. I wouldn't read it at this point unless I was going to read the stories that followed as well. It's a bit of a commitment for something so far back when a few minutes of wikipedia would get you up to speed much quicker. I apparently didn't find it as memorable as some people.

Freezasaurus
Reading comics on Wikipedia is good enough
(Today, 12:30 AM)

Vibranium

Banned
https://twitter.com/markwaid/status/463803337880522752

I don't know what to think here. He usually shits on DC.

Waid needs to let it go, he's making himself look worse every time. His Hulk run is mediocre and there should have been a new writer on the relaunch.

Mark needs to keep writing Daredevil and find another Marvel character who he can write more passionately. Perhaps Spider-Man, but some people are mixed on that, so maybe someone else. Anyone but Hulk.

Vibranium

Banned
Ha ha. Marvel doesn't need support. I bet right this minute they're plotting how to start hiking books up to $4.99.... Shit, the first two issues of Original Sin hit that price.

To that I say good luck to Alonso, because he's gonna need it. Kids can get mobile games and apps for a way cheaper price, as the comics audience gets older things will get worse. Book prices need to way more flexible and offer more value as we move into the future. $2.99 should be standard outside of Avengers and A tier heroes, yet they're moving away from it. Elektra is $3.99 FFS.

And they wonder why they can't get the movie audience....

To that I say good luck to Alonso, because he's gonna need it. Kids can get mobile games and apps for a way cheaper price, as the comics audience gets older things will get worse. Book prices need to way more flexible and offer more value as we move into the future. $2.99 should be standard outside of Avengers and A tier heroes, yet they're moving away from it. Elektra is $3.99 FFS.

And they wonder why they can't get the movie audience....

I still long for the days when I was a kid and you could get a comic for between $1.25 and 1.75 until they started with all the embossed/hologram cover bullshit.

Vibranium

Banned
I still long for the days when I was a kid and you could get a comic for between $1.25 and 1.75 until they started with all the embossed/hologram cover bullshit.

Well I'm pretty young, but damn do I wish I grew up with those prices. Even Stan Lee said something about them being too high these days I think. People would buy comics in droves with a better model in place. That's why I hope the next Editors for Marvel and DC are smarter than DiDio and Alonso.

Well I'm pretty young, but damn do I wish I grew up with those prices. Even Stan Lee said something about them being too high these days I think. People would buy comics in droves with a better model in place. That's why I hope the next Editors for Marvel and DC are smarter than DiDio and Alonso.

They do buy comics in droves with a better model.

It's called trade paperbacks.

Vibranium

Banned
They do buy comics in droves with a better model.

It's called trade paperbacks.

...I mean monthly comics. Also, in Canada most TPBs are overpriced to hell, kids may buy one but never a ton. I figure monthly sales might be better if the prices were lower for B and C tier heroes. Why the hostility?

Marvel looks at those charts pretty closely, good titles have been cancelled because they weren't at a stupid cut-off number (Winter Soldier, Greg Rucka Punisher, etc) .

...I mean monthly comics. TPB aren't counted on the sales charts. Also, in Canada they're overpriced to hell, kids may buy one but never a ton. I figure monthly sales might be better if the prices were lower for B and C tier heroes. Why the hostility?

Marvel looks at those charts pretty closely.

...No hostility here, friend. I just think TPBs are way better than monthly comics. Generally, TPBs are cheaper than buying the individual comics, plus you don't have to deal with ads cluttering up the pages. And hey, they look way better sitting on a bookshelf. it's win-win.

Vibranium

Banned
...No hostility here, friend. I just think TPBs are way better than monthly comics. Generally, TPBs are cheaper than buying the individual comics, plus you don't have to deal with ads cluttering up the pages. And hey, they look way better sitting on a bookshelf. it's win-win.

Ah, fair enough. I don't like waiting for TPBs though, and I buy all digital. Sorry for being rude my friend!

I'm still salty over the cancellation of Winter Soldier I guess.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Peter has been around for decades.

Spock didn't get to be around for a full 3 years. =(

It was a story line, it was never going to last very long. That's what made him fun, they wouldn't have gone as crazy with him if he was going to stick around.

multivac

Due to the ridiculous fact that Futures End #0 wasn't released digitally, I have to ask if it was necessary reading with Futures End #1 coming out today?

Edit: I also have to question my sanity in jumping on another weekly title. But seriously, look at that cover.

Due to the ridiculous fact that Futures End #0 wasn't released digitally, I have to ask if it was necessary reading with Futures End #1 coming out today?

Edit: I also have to question my sanity in jumping on another weekly title. But seriously, look at that cover.

Not really. It's an interesting look at a fucked up future and you get some character moments between Flash and Captain Cold, Amethyst and Grifter and Bruce and Terry, but mostly it's about
the last of Earth's heroes falling to Brother Eye and Terry jumping back in time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was a story line, it was never going to last very long. That's what made him fun, they wouldn't have gone as crazy with him if he was going to stick around.

I blame the craziness on the Nolan Batman movies.
A power vacuum will be filled, sure, but Nolan really pushed the idea of the vacuum being filled by more and more capable criminals, which is fucking ridiculous if you think about it even for a second.
It's actually been a Batman (and to a larger extent, Punisher) problem for a long time. People just take the conceit seriously now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
re: Nolan movies, I was watching DKR last week for the first time since release and one thing really stood out to me as being wrong. Alfred calls Bruce "Master Wayne". That's not right is it? Alfred calls him Master Bruce, Master Wayne would be his dad. It struck me that in the Nolanverse Alfred and Bruce have a very different relationship, much colder. IMO Alfred's schtick should be that he's often a little too informal, pushing the master/servant boundaries a lot more. And you have to remember that he's as much of a father to Bruce as anyone has been too.

re: Nolan movies, I was watching DKR last week for the first time since release and one thing really stood out to me as being wrong. Alfred calls Bruce "Master Wayne". That's not right is it? Alfred calls him Master Bruce, Master Wayne would be his dad. It struck me that in the Nolanverse Alfred and Bruce have a very different relationship, much colder. IMO Alfred's schtick should be that he's often a little too informal, pushing the master/servant boundaries a lot more. And you have to remember that he's as much of a father to Bruce as anyone has been too.

I never got the sense that they were cold in the movies.

"Bats may be, but even for billionaire playboys, three o'clock is pushing it."

"Whenever you stich yourself up, you do make a bloody mess."

"I suppose they'll lock me up as well. As your accomplice."

Seems pretty informal to me. In fact, compared to what we got in TAS, I'd say their relationship in the movies is quite a bit warmer.

Legends of the Dark Knight #1: The Butler Did It, is one of my favorite Bruce / Alfred stories. I recommend any Batman fan read it.

Bruce bets Alfred that he is prepared for anything. Later that issue he comes across a scene reminiscent of the night his family is murdered and loses control. When he goes to help the family, they turn on him and beat his ass (they were thugs themselves in disguise). Beating him, the thugs then walk away and Alfred walks out (Alfred had hired them and set it all up). Bruce proceeds to pay up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Legends of the Dark Knight #1: The Butler Did It, is one of my favorite Bruce / Alfred stories. I recommend any Batman fan read it.

Bruce bets Alfred that he is prepared for anything. Later that issue he comes across a scene reminiscent of the night his family is murdered and loses control. When he goes to help the family, they turn on him and beat his ass (they were thugs themselves in disguise). Beating him, the thugs then walk away and Alfred walks out (Alfred had hired them and set it all up). Bruce proceeds to pay up.

I looooove a good Alfred story. There's a great one in No Man's Land where he tells a story about a knight and squire. It's so sweet, it really gets across how much Alfred loves helping Bruce.

Messi

Why won't Marvel put the Rocket Racoon free comic book day issue by Scottie Young on Comixology :(. My store had none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom