• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future's End #1:

Hmm. I'm intrigued. First issue opens with...
Four different story threads. We start with Terry talking to A.L.F.R.E.D., the on board suit AI, fighting a Brother Eye robot that came through with him while someone watches them with Google glass, lol? Then we see Stormwatch destroyed. Then Grifter straight merc'ing a family of aliens? (Daemonites?), finishing with Firestorm showing up late to help Green Arrow, who is dead as a result.

Things we learned:

Mister Terrific developed Brother Eye seven years before the five years later that Terry is at which means two years previous to the current timeline.

Terry missed the correct timeline because the jump was calibrated for Bruce and their mass differs.

Apollo is killed and Stormwatch is destroyed?

The Firestorm duo are at odds with each other.

Ollie has a sick beard. But is dead. Someone destroyed his lab.

Plot lines feel disconnected at the moment so I am curious how they are going to come together. Also, I liked the art, it was pretty good.

Also, while it's not required, I'd really suggest anyone who is interested try and read Future's End #0 is look up a synopsis, because they basically pick up right after it without a proper recap.

Ok, Futures End #1 was pretty awesome! I like the idea of weeklies if they maintain this amount of quality.

I really feel that the "voice in the ear" is a must for the Batman Beyond concept and even more so for a time displaced Terry. So
without Bruce or Dick, an AI version of Alfred seems like the perfect substitute. I really hope that gets explored and played with more.

ElNarez

Banned
Future's End #1 feels 52 (the weekly book, not the publishing initiative) as fuck and that's exactly what it needs to be. Give me multiple DC second-stringers running around doing their thing and I'll be happy forever.

tim1138

Future's End #1:

Hmm. I'm intrigued. First issue opens with...
Four different story threads. We start with Terry talking to A.L.F.R.E.D., the on board suit AI, fighting a Brother Eye robot that came through with him while someone watches them with Google glass, lol? Then we see Stormwatch destroyed. Then Grifter straight merc'ing a family of aliens? (Daemonites?), finishing with Firestorm showing up late to help Green Arrow, who is dead as a result.

Things we learned:

Mister Terrific developed Brother Eye seven years before the five years later that Terry is at which means two years previous to the current timeline.

Terry missed the correct timeline because the jump was calibrated for Bruce and their mass differs.

Apollo is killed and Stormwatch is destroyed?

The Firestorm duo are at odds with each other.

Ollie has a sick beard. But is dead. Someone destroyed his lab.

Plot lines feel disconnected at the moment so I am curious how they are going to come together. Also, I liked the art, it was pretty good.

Also, while it's not required, I'd really suggest anyone who is interested try and read Future's End #0 is look up a synopsis, because they basically pick up right after it without a proper recap.

You forgot that there was
another war that Firestorm played a large part in, resulting in Ollie recruiting them to the League.

This was a good first issue, I'm really interested to see how all these events tie together beyond the meddling of
Brother Eye

Was Astro City delayed? I thought it was out this week but it's not on comixology.

-edit-

I guess Astro City is next week, I swear it was listed for today. Oh well.

Messi

Comic store books are late again. Won't be in until later today. Can't come back later as I've got work :(. Getting real tired of travelling an hour each way for nothing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Comic store books are late again. Won't be in until later today. Can't come back later as I've got work :(. Getting real tired of travelling an hour each way for nothing.

I said this before but it blows my mind your store even has comics on a wednesday, every UK store I went to was Thursday at the earliest. One more reason I was happy to jump ship to digital.

Messi

I said this before but it blows my mind your store even has comics on a wednesday, every UK store I went to was Thursday at the earliest. One more reason I was happy to jump ship to digital.

I understand how lucky I am to get them same day as the USA. Doesn't help that they aren't telling people ahead of time that comics won't be in until later. I suppose people might buy shit after making the trip.

They won't tell you if that weeks books are in? that is some terrible customer service.
Sounds like it's time to join us in the digital sun.

I wish I could go all digital but u can't bring myself to.

I understand how lucky I am to get them same day as the USA. Doesn't help that they aren't telling people ahead of time that comics won't be in until later. I suppose people might buy shit after making the trip.

I wish I could go all digital but u can't bring myself to.

Next time, remind them how much money you spend there and how willing you are to take your business elsewhere.

Also, don't listen to their digital lies, Messi.

Messi

Next time, remind them how much money you spend there and how willing you are to take your business elsewhere.

I will hold the line as long as possible but I read all my Marvel digital copies on my iPad vs the floppies they came from. Dat ease if access.

Fuck I spend like $250-270 a month there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Or make the trip on a Thursday when you know for sure they'll be in. An hour is a long ass time, don't you have a job to be at?

Hype can be a powerful Mistress to say no to. Because I am at the mercy of my roommate who picks up our pull list in the next town over and don't get them until like 5-6 pm local time I sometimes lose my shit; even more so when he doesn't go to his weekly appointment and I have to wait til the next day or a week later.

I've taken to double dipping on one comic a week, digitally if only so I can talk about it.

Messi

Or make the trip on a Thursday when you know for sure they'll be in. An hour is a long ass time, don't you have a job to be at?

My shop gets very few of some books and a fair few are gone before the Wednesday ends. Take everyone's favorite Catwoman. They get 5 copies and I've never seen one in a Thursday. But say Batman they get like 50 and they are there weeks later. Image books only get a handful bar Saga. Its infuriating. I could always make a pull list but then I'd have a much lower chance of dropping a book.

Yes I have a job to be at and grown ass Nan things to be doing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My shop gets very few of some books and a fair few are gone before the Wednesday ends. Take everyone's favorite Catwoman. They get 5 copies and I've never seen one in a Thursday. But say Batman they get like 50 and they are there weeks later. Image books only get a handful bar Saga. Its infuriating. I could always make a pull list but then I'd have a much lower chance of dropping a book.

Pull lists are your friends and they help the shop order the right amount of copies too. You're already a hopeless addict, might as well throw in the towel and get a list. There's no dropping books really, is there?

Messi, make a pull list, stop giving your shop owner / orderer anxiety attacks trying to account for your eccentric non-listed pulls.

Messi

Pull lists are your friends and they help the shop order the right amount of copies too. You're already a hopeless addict, might as well throw in the towel and get a list. There's no dropping books really, is there?

Messi, make a pull list, stop giving your shop owner / orderer anxiety attacks trying to account for your eccentric non-listed pulls.

You realize if I have to talk to a human I'll never drop Queen Nocenti.

Oh and I come in am hour after opening on a Wednesday every week like clockwork. Not once has anyone offered to get me a pull list. They don't give a fuck.

You are all digital robots Btw

Pull lists also tend to give you a discount unless your store is run by monsters. Or your store is a front for Irish mobsters who want you to go away while they "deal" with someone in the back.

Also fuck you for making me look up "Nan".

Messi

Pull lists also tend to give you a discount unless your store is run by monsters. Or your store is a front for Irish mobsters who want you to go away while they "deal" with someone in the back.

Also fuck you for making me look up "Nan".

Nan was a typo honestly

Messi

I'm not even sure what the Grifter part is about, to be honest, is he still fighting
Daemonites?
If that is the case, cool, glad they didn't drop that thread.

But yeah, it was good, I'm definitely on board.

You autocorrect to that often? ;)

I talk to my nan often. Sure.

8bit

Knows the Score
So, uh, Futures End. Isn't this like the third outing in five years for the story from 52? Or was it the pre-infinite crisis stuff?

Pretty sure FP & the bigger places moved to Wednesday a while ago, comics on Thursday are only if there's a bank holiday.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue always has comics on Wednesday (I'm guessing you're in London).

Nah brah I'm in the leafy environs of Surrey. Have since ditched brick and mortar anyway, the only comic store for 50 miles is a family run business. And by family run, I mean that a guy who likes comics bought the shop but his wife and mum work there mostly and they knew bugger all about comics which got a bit annoying.

Nah brah I'm in the leafy environs of Surrey. Have since ditched brick and mortar anyway, the only comic store for 50 miles is a family run business. And by family run, I mean that a guy who likes comics bought the shop but his wife and mum work there mostly and they knew bugger all about comics which got a bit annoying.

I would've recommended trying to buy floppies online, but I saw you're doing things the digital way. Buying floppies online is a nightmare anyway.

monome

how much per "floppy" vs the $ price?

European comics shops selling on wednesdays too is the norm with diamond comics.

Hagi

I would've recommended trying to buy floppies online, but I saw you're doing things the digital way. Buying floppies online is a nightmare anyway.

I've thought over this many times as the closest comic stores from here are either in Glasgow or Carlisle but damn, digital is just so easy it's ridiculous. :/

Going to pick up Futures End today, see if i can reconnect with DC.

Mafro

It's the faces right?
Yeah that's the worst of it especially the soul-sucking eyes, I'm just not a fan of Javier Pullido's art at all on this and Hawkeye. I wish Kevin Wada did interiors as I love his She-Hulk covers as well as his other work.

Messi

how much per "floppy" vs the $ price?

European comics shops selling on wednesdays too is the norm with diamond comics.

2.99 book is €3.50, 3.99 is €4.50 or €4.99 if Batman is on it. Image 3.50 is 4.50. Trades take dollar price and change the currency sign to €. That Deadpool wedding issue was €11.99. Madness.

Prices seem to be dependent on book quality.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've thought over this many times as the closest comic stores from here are either in Glasgow or Carlisle but damn, digital is just so easy it's ridiculous. :/

Going to pick up Futures End today, see if i can reconnect with DC.

Plus digital is better. Can read in low light, no binding swallowing up the edges of pages (hardback trades especially), poppier colours, portability, zooming and screenshotting, can buy them in the nude, no ads, no clutter in the house (newbies wait till you have thousands of the slippery fuckers, the novelty of bagging and boarding wears off quickly!). Can pick up books I missed, no worries about them selling out.

Even though digital isn't any cheaper, I feel like I'm getting a better deal due to the above.

Plus digital is better. Can read in low light, no binding swallowing up the edges of pages (hardback trades especially), poppier colours, portability, zooming and screenshotting, can buy them in the nude, no ads, no clutter in the house (newbies wait till you have thousands of the slippery fuckers, the novelty of bagging and boarding wears off quickly!). Can pick up books I missed, no worries about them selling out.

Even though digital isn't any cheaper, I feel like I'm getting a better deal due to the above.

Agreed. I've completely given up on print, except for Copra (of course), now that I have a mini retina. FCBD was the most monstrous hassle, like "UGH, I GOTTA KEEP THESE SOMEWHERE???" And you really start to notice slipshod printing. My friend has a Nowhere Men trade that has like the spottiest color printing ever. So gross.

tim1138

I agree with all of the above, especially the bolded. Going digital was the best comics decision I made. Embrace your digital future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom