• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Plus digital is better. Can read in low light, no binding swallowing up the edges of pages (hardback trades especially), poppier colours, portability, zooming and screenshotting, can buy them in the nude, no ads, no clutter in the house (newbies wait till you have thousands of the slippery fuckers, the novelty of bagging and boarding wears off quickly!). Can pick up books I missed, no worries about them selling out.

Even though digital isn't any cheaper, I feel like I'm getting a better deal due to the above.

Yeah space is the biggest plus for me, we don't have our own space yet and storing floppies is a pain in the arse. Plus i prefer reading on my nexus 7, everything just pops on the smaller screen. Oh and Marvel Mondays and other sales are a godsend! Buying a tablet was such a good investment.

$0.50 is my price for digital. Anything more than that feels like a rip off.

Batman and Son was $0.39 an issue. I felt OK with that.

I'm curious why you feel that way specifically? The same amount of work went into a printed comic from a creative standpoint.

Personally, I think the space considerations balance out not having a physical object.

I'm curious how other people work out that equation.

So anyone read Original Sin #1 yet? I'm morbidly curious about it, in a, "Why would anyone give a flying eff that the Watcher is dead" sort of way.

I mean I struggle to thing of a character that people should care less about.

ElNarez

Banned
So anyone read Original Sin #1 yet? I'm morbidly curious about it, in a, "Why would anyone give a flying eff that the Watcher is dead" sort of way.

They killed him, took his eyes and some of his shit. There's stakes in there. But also, who cares, because Old Nick Fury is putting together a team of the baddest motherfuckers around to find out who did it and that fucking rules.

I read it last week. I thought it was great. Pulled together a lot of disparate characs in a really interesting way. A lot of times in a crossover, those things feel pretty flat and gratuitous, but Aaron does great work here.

Also, Deodato seems to have upped his game.

I read it last week. I thought it was great. Pulled together a lot of disparate characs in a really interesting way. A lot of times in a crossover, those things feel pretty flat and gratuitous, but Aaron does great work here.

Yep. It's changing the way we thibk about event comics and comics in general...

tim1138

It's like 52, to the point where I think I can break down who exactly wrote what. Like, Giffen wrote the Terry scene, Jurgens did the Stormwatch bit, Azz did Grifter and Lemire wrote Firestorm, and the hooks are great.

Pretty sure you have Azz and Giffen reversed. Almost positive when it was first announced Azz said he was writing the Terry stuff.

I'm curious why you feel that way specifically? The same amount of work went into a printed comic from a creative standpoint.

Personally, I think the space considerations balance out not having a physical object.

I'm curious how other people work out that equation.

My reasoning: You don't actually own digital content in the vast majority of cases. You own a license to view it/use it. Digital has inherently less value to me because of this. Also, I can't resell it or gift it. I value that even if I don't do it very often.

I have a 25‰ discount at my shop so digital costs more than physical. Like, it's cheaper to buy a 3.99 Marvel combo book and enter the code than to just buy it digitally. Lolwut.

Also, as someone who has been trying to collect a Legion backlog I consider it ridiculous that old issues on Comixology go for 1.99 when I can typically buy physical back issues for less than a dollar, sometimes less than a quarter.

In practice I probably spend around $3-5 digitally a week. I've been buying one $2.99 issue and 2 0.99 digital first issues. I'd probably be comfortable with $0.99 as a baseline for digital issues.

ElNarez

Banned
Pretty sure you have Azz and Giffen reversed. Almost positive when it was first announced Azz said he was writing the Terry stuff.

There's a grit to the Grifter scene that I don't see anyone but Azz being able to bring. I mean, the Terry part has jokes.

They killed him, took his eyes and some of his shit. There's stakes in there. But also, who cares, because Old Nick Fury is putting together a team of the baddest motherfuckers around to find out who did it and that fucking rules.

Hmm. I'll have to keep up on it then. Pretty hefty price tag for the first issues though. Is this going to be $4.99 for every issue?

Any member of the Legion of Superheroes?

Polar Boy >>>>> Your favorite character.

tim1138

There's a grit to the Grifter scene that I don't see anyone but Azz being able to bring. I mean, the Terry part has jokes.

I'm just going by what I've read in interviews. Here's a quote from Azz in an interview with CBR:

Azzarello said:
I just needed a character from the future, and that was the only one I knew. I thought we needed a hook -- we needed somebody big, and somebody that hadn't really appeared in the New 52 yet. Since we were dealing with this jump into the future, it made sense to bring in Terry McGinnis

Hagi

So Original Sin #1
Bucky and co aren't working for Fury are they? the dude talking to Panther had what i presume is one of the bullets that killed the Watcher so who the fuck is he?

I'm in for this, it's definitely the most interesting event they've come up with since Secret Invasion. Hopefully Nick gets his own book after this, i mean if Storm can get an ongoing surely he can.

I read Futures End #1 and i think I'll stick with it. The Grifter stuff was a pretty crazy introduction to the character and i find Terry being introduced to the New52 as a good hook to keep me invested.

Non spoiler question for those who have experiene with Stormwatch why does Jack's speech bubbles have this weird background to them in some panels?

ElNarez

Banned
Non spoiler question for those who have experiene with Stormwatch why does Jack's speech bubbles have this weird background to them in some panels?

It's visual shorthand because he's basically the god of cities, meaning he's got all sorts of powers that have to do with them.

E: also, by the way: I AM THE CRIME THAT WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN (Loki #4 was ACE)

One point about the Grifter part that confused me...

We're those Daemonites? I mean that is his thing right. And the Daemonites were trying to long-game take over the Earth. But typically they shape-shift to their normal forms to fight. These ones didn't. They didn't even seem to fight at all.

Also, as someone who has been trying to collect a Legion backlog I consider it ridiculous that old issues on Comixology go for 1.99 when I can typically buy physical back issues for less than a dollar, sometimes less than a quarter.

Any back issues of the 5 Years Later run I have are like 30% the quality of the digital downloads I have of the same issues, though. I feel like that makes a difference when you're dealing with those thick, crisp Giffen lines.

Any back issues of the 5 Years Later run I have are like 30% the quality of the digital downloads I have of the same issues, though. I feel like that makes a difference when you're dealing with those thick, crisp Giffen lines.

Sure I don't doubt that it looks pretty good. But it's a cost to benefit ratio for me. I believe I got the entirety of 5 Years Later for like $25, whereas it'd be like... 100+ digitally?

Mumei

Plus digital is better. Can read in low light, no binding swallowing up the edges of pages (hardback trades especially), poppier colours, portability, zooming and screenshotting, can buy them in the nude, no ads, no clutter in the house (newbies wait till you have thousands of the slippery fuckers, the novelty of bagging and boarding wears off quickly!). Can pick up books I missed, no worries about them selling out.

Even though digital isn't any cheaper, I feel like I'm getting a better deal due to the above.

I'd be interested in digital for just reading monthly comics, if I ever got into that, but there are certain things that I'd want to own, to be able to have on a shelf.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Huh, well that makes me like him even more than the time he had Genius Jones fight a Mount Rushmore of Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid.

Yo, ElNarez, I just looked up what all this is. Is the Doctor Thirteen trade worth buying for 15 bones? Because it looks rad as fuck.

Edit: Found it for 9.

monome

2.99 book is €3.50, 3.99 is €4.50 or €4.99 if Batman is on it. Image 3.50 is 4.50. Trades take dollar price and change the currency sign to €. That Deadpool wedding issue was €11.99. Madness.

Prices seem to be dependent on book quality.

comixology prices are about 1€ less per book compared to your prices.

with your big pull list, going digital will cover getting the monthlies and a good number of paper trades.

Hagi

Cyclops was the best issue of Guardians of the Galaxy I've read since Abnetts last run. Book of the week for me so far. Looking forward to what Rucka is going to do with the father and son dynamic.

It's visual shorthand because he's basically the god of cities, meaning he's got all sorts of powers that have to do with them.

E: also, by the way: I AM THE CRIME THAT WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN (Loki #4 was ACE)

Oh cool thanks, i like it when they do interesting stuff like that.

Furyous

Future's End #1:

Hmm. I'm intrigued. First issue opens with...
Four different story threads. We start with Terry talking to A.L.F.R.E.D., the on board suit AI, fighting a Brother Eye robot that came through with him while someone watches them with Google glass, lol? Then we see Stormwatch destroyed. Then Grifter straight merc'ing a family of aliens? (Daemonites?), finishing with Firestorm showing up late to help Green Arrow, who is dead as a result.

Things we learned:

Mister Terrific developed Brother Eye seven years before the five years later that Terry is at which means two years previous to the current timeline.

Terry missed the correct timeline because the jump was calibrated for Bruce and their mass differs.

Apollo is killed and Stormwatch is destroyed?

The Firestorm duo are at odds with each other.

Ollie has a sick beard. But is dead. Someone destroyed his lab.

Plot lines feel disconnected at the moment so I am curious how they are going to come together. Also, I liked the art, it was pretty good.

Also, while it's not required, I'd really suggest anyone who is interested try and read Future's End #0 is look up a synopsis, because they basically pick up right after it without a proper recap.

Is anyone rooting for Jason to get a new teammate? I'm gonna have to reread issue 0 and hope he got a new teammate in the future. There's no way I could talk to someone after walking in on them having sex with my girlfriend and then being solely responsible for my friend dying. I'm rooting for a Ronnie death sometime in the near future but maybe that's just me.

Was that Mister Terrific taking a pic of Terry? Can someone help me understand the continuity? There was one timeskip to restart the universe. JLA had another timeskip five years later at some point. Current continuity as we know it starts over into the present issues. Forever evil happens then five years later. Five years later bridges to 35 years later. Isn't the Brother Eye OMAC project that Bruce started apart of the previous universe that Flashpoint retconned? Did I get this right?

What else did Bruce say to Terry before he departed? Why didn't he take into account Terry going to the past instead of him?

This is the first DC series I keep up with in a while off the strength of dat nerdrage and Terry living in a new universe. I can't wait to find out more about the universe he grew up in as this version of Terry isn't from the cartoon series.

I'd be interested in digital for just reading monthly comics, if I ever got into that, but there are certain things that I'd want to own, to be able to have on a shelf.

Yup, love having my big ass bookshelf of trades in my house, talking to friends about them when they're over or showing people awesome books. Having physical comics is just more social to me.

zeeaykay

Who here is excited for Nailbiter? I'm not familiar with the author, and a horror/serial killer comic could just be atrocious if it isn't well written. However, the reviews so far fantastic and sound right up my alley. A comic in the vein of the film Zodiac, but where you know the killer from the outset? Sounds good to me!

Is anyone rooting for Jason to get a new teammate? I'm gonna have to reread issue 0 and hope he got a new teammate in the future. There's no way I could talk to someone after walking in on them having sex with my girlfriend and then being solely responsible for my friend dying. I'm rooting for a Ronnie death sometime in the near future but maybe that's just me.

Was that Mister Terrific taking a pic of Terry? Can someone help me understand the continuity? There was one timeskip to restart the universe. JLA had another timeskip five years later at some point. Current continuity as we know it starts over into the present issues. Forever evil happens then five years later. Five years later bridges to 35 years later. Isn't the Brother Eye OMAC project that Bruce started apart of the previous universe that Flashpoint retconned? Did I get this right?

What else did Bruce say to Terry before he departed? Why didn't he take into account Terry going to the past instead of him?

This is the first DC series I keep up with in a while off the strength of dat nerdrage and Terry living in a new universe. I can't wait to find out more about the universe he grew up in as this version of Terry isn't from the cartoon series.

Does all of Futures End
take place in the future?

The timeline for the New 52 Universe is, roughly,

6ish Years Ago - Batman / Superman emerge. This is Zero Year.
5 Years Ago - Justice League forms for the first time. Darkseid invasion of Earth Prime and Earth 2.
1 Year Ago - The start of the New 52 #1s, outside of Justice League.
Current - Where we are at now.
5 Years From Now - Future's End #1
35 Years From Now - Terry's timeline; Future's End #0.

To answer your questions:
No, that wasn't Mister Terrific. I'm assuming it is someone controlled by or being used as passive surveillance by Brother Eye. - You are correct that Brother Eye, before, was created by Batman. But it was just the Brother satellite if I recall correctly and became Brother Eye after Maxwell Lord died??? The new version seems to be a creation of Mister Terrific instead.

Bruce and Terry's conversation goes like this, in Future's End #0:

Bruce gets stabbed.
Terry: BRUCE! No, no no... Hang on...
Bruce: With what Terry? Take it (hands him the time gizmo)
Terry: I'm not trained for time travel, Bruce!
Bruce: You are trained by me-- Understood? Fate is up to you now. Stop hell from reaching Earth. And Terry? Whatever you do, don't contact me in the past.
Terry: Why?
Bruce: Because not only won't I believe your story... But I'll stop you. Clark', too. He gets involved he'll just muddy things up. I mean... we're talking about killing a man here.
Terry: I'll get it done Bruce.
Bruce: I know.
Bruce blasts a robot thats about to get Terry, as Terry disappears into time portal.
Bruce: Or you might be vaporized. This... this is not why I lived my life... to die like this...

Toa TAK

Banned
Learning to Crawl- Enjoyed it, but it was weird because I couldn't nail the time period of the damn place. Everything in the comic screams the 1960s aesthetic, but then we have people using iphones and macs. Come on, it wasn't necessary for those things. Small nitpick, though.

Art is fantastic, and I can't wait to get the next issue.

Miles Morales- What a short #1. But please, god Bendis,
don't bring back Peter as Spider-Man. If anything I'm willing to be he's one out of the two "Spider-Men". Plus, it's good to see Norman back.
Though I totally expected more from this issue.

diaspora

Learning to Crawl- Enjoyed it, but it was weird because I couldn't nail the time period of the damn place. Everything in the comic screams the 1960s aesthetic, but then we have people using iphones and macs. Come on, it wasn't necessary for those things. Small nitpick, though.

Art is fantastic, and I can't wait to get the next issue.

Miles Morales- What a short #1. But please, god Bendis,
don't bring back Peter as Spider-Man. If anything I'm willing to be he's one out of the two "Spider-Men". Plus, it's good to see Norman back.
Though I totally expected more from this issue.

Doesn't the Ultimate universe have Chameleon twins in it?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Everything in the comic screams the 1960s aesthetic, but then we have people using iphones and macs. Come on, it wasn't necessary for those things. Small nitpick, though.

Marvel Time is going to be more and more stranger. Spidey is established to be at least active for 10 years, but in 2004 nobody had smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom