• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Norman says no, death is not final! Just accept the return of superior ultimate spidey. You've already lost one, the second should hurt alot less.

I had no doubts the dude was dead though, I like how he's kinda the arch enemy of the Ultimate Spider-Man story.

SUPERIOR EDIT:
AW SHIT.

See? You can't keep down the Superior Spider-Man.

I'd be interested in digital for just reading monthly comics, if I ever got into that, but there are certain things that I'd want to own, to be able to have on a shelf.

That's how I do it, I buy my floppies digitally and anything really good gets bought in the collected format.

I think I might be in for Future's End. The #0 was stupid and crazy, but almost in a good way. I did love "I mean, we're talking about killing a man here." I think I'll have nightmares from some of the Eye-bugs for weeks, I love dark futures and assimilation stuff (my avatar is a Cyberman, FFS) but some of the stuff in #0 was nightmare inducing. #1 was good too. Have to wait another week to catch up on the rest, god damn exams. I WANT TO READ RAT QUEENS DAMMIT.

Holy shit, Detective Comics is an honest to goodness Detective book now and it's fucking awesome and drop dead gorgeous. BB and FM were made for this book. Something has clicked and the dialog, the flow, everything is fantastic compared to their Flash stuff. This is the Batman that has been sorely missing from the n52.

Easy book of the month candidate.

diaspora

SUPERIOR EDIT:

AW SHIT.

See? You can't keep down the Superior Spider-Man.

I think it's a story of how his inferiority at science sent him hurtling through time.

alXCz8x.png

diaspora

I'm still pissed I never got a proper SSM vs. Green Goblin fight. I was waiting for it so hard since I heard of the arc. :(

Otto would have had to outwit Norman to be able to face him, and that was never going to happen anyway. He's good at cybernetics, but honestly that's about it.

So the Outsiders War is over and as a Green Arrow story arc, it was pretty good. I feel like Lemire was asked to do this book in the beginning, not something he volunteered todo. He has said in interviews that he didn't care for the character as a kid. Now he says he really enjoys writing it and it shows. The first set of issues were technically good but lacked a little something. Now it seems their is some passion behind the technical and it's just a great book now.

ReiGun

So the Outsiders War is over and as a Green Arrow story arc, it was pretty good. I feel like Lemire was asked to do this book in the beginning, not something he volunteered todo. He has said in interviews that he didn't care for the character as a kid. Now he says he really enjoys writing it and it shows. The first set of issues were technically good but lacked a little something. Now it seems their is some passion behind the technical and it's just a great book now.

I agree. The book really has gotten better as it goes. I thought this was a great finale, and he set us up for the next arc perfectly.

Small fanboy wish/nitpick:
I kinda wanted Emiko to go back with Ollie and become the new Speedy. Yes, I recognize this would have made no sense for her character, but still. :p

Toa TAK

Banned
Otto would have had to outwit Norman to be able to face him, and that was never going to happen anyway. He's good at cybernetics, but honestly that's about it.

I'm sure he could've done something with the cure. Maybe not like the mini-spider bots, but something.

tim1138

I agree. The book really has gotten better as it goes. I thought this was a great finale, and he set us up for the next arc perfectly.

Small fanboy wish/nitpick:
I kinda wanted Emiko to go back with Ollie and become the new Speedy. Yes, I recognize this would have made no sense for her character, but still. :p

Regarding your spoiler and Futures End solicits
it's implied in the solicits she takes over after Oliie dies so that may still happen

The next arc has all the makings of being awesome. I love the cast of characters Lemire has surrounded Ollie with, both heroes and villains.

ReiGun

Regarding your spoiler and Futures End solicits
it's implied in the solicits she takes over after Oliie dies so that may still happen

The next arc has all the makings of being awesome. I love the cast of characters Lemire has surrounded Ollie with, both heroes and villains.

I'm not reading Future's End, so that's good to know. And I can't wait for the next arc. That last page with
the new Longbow Hunters
was hype. Ollie's going back to a world of shit.

It's amazing that between the show and this book, I've gone from being kind of "eh" on Green Arrow to him being probably one of my favorite DC heroes over the past year. See DC? This is how you push a character. It's not that hard, you guys.

Moon Knight was awesome.....again. Book is really gonna piss off people who like a bunch of dialog.
His new suit was awesome!

It's really refreshing to open a comic and read the 20-30 pages and the story be done. No cliffhangers, no trying to remember what happened before. Just a nice little story that makes you smile.

diaspora

I'm sure he could've done something with the cure. Maybe not like the mini-spider bots, but something.

There was really nowhere left for Otto to go- he was utterly beaten at every avenue by Norman. Hell, he would probably mess up in a fight too- just like Massacre.

New Warriors felt like it was paced a little too quickly this month, but the banter was great. Aracely and Kaine continue to be one of my favorite duos, they're so much fun!

Love this variant that I picked up.

BnDnimeIEAArK4A.jpg
Yo KoruptData, from all the books you like and comment on we seem to have very similar taste and opinion.
Good job lol

Sweet cover,, I am buying a house soon and plan on getting my comics from a different Local store. The place I go to now is small so they don't order shit besides what people ask and maybe some random titles. NEVER any variants or anything. The old man running it is really cool and can tell you anything you want to know about comics and has one of the biggest collection of oldies in the state. Feel kinda bad cuz I get almost 30 books (plus randoms) but cant wait to go to a much bigger store that has a lot more to offer (which just mean ill be buying more shit I shouldn't).

Yo KoruptData, from all the books you like and comment on we seem to have very similar taste and opinion.
Good job lol

Sweet cover,, I am buying a house soon and plan on getting my comics from a different Local store. The place I go to now is small so they don't order shit besides what people ask and maybe some random titles. NEVER any variants or anything. The old man running it is really cool and can tell you anything you want to know about comics and has one of the biggest collection of oldies in the state. Feel kinda bad cuz I get almost 30 books (plus randoms) but cant wait to go to a much bigger store that has a lot more to offer (which just mean ill be buying more shit I shouldn't).

Yeah man, you were already on my list. Cool people list, lol.

Just read Miles Spidey and there is nothing more to add to the convo. I really liked it and think Bendis writes the best Spider-Man.

diaspora

He did the right thing with Massacre.

He let people get shot, then executed the guy? IIRC when Peter beat him, he went straight to the guy in a bullet-proof suit to absorb shots aimed at civilians and a radio jammer stopping the bomb threat. Otto royally fucked up handling Massacre.

I try to read any and all I can, so chiming in to say this.

I really enjoyed Superior, it is the first Spider-Man I've ever read but I fear the return of Amazing might not be for me. I definitely liked Superior and I'd totally read a series set of him in the future. Hopefully Amazing 001 onwards is good stuff and I'll stay a fan.

Also read Futures End #0 and really enjoyed it. Good to see Terry in New 52. Very tempting to pick it up weekly but I'm already getting Batman Eternal. The F.B.I. just does not pay enough to have a hobby.

diaspora

No he didn't, he fucked up. Peter did better when he was handicapped. Bulletproof suit, radio jammers, Massacre was entirely disarmed the instant Peter stepped through the window.

The secondary problem isn't even killing Massacre either, it was how he did it. It's like the difference between a killer dying in a shootout versus getting shot by a cop disarmed and on his knees.

edit: I actually in retrospect really like SSM myself entirely because it shows how Otto in Peter's shoes failed every step of the way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But I want an Ongoing Amazing Spider-Man series by Matt Fraction :/

But welp, this could be far better than anything Spider-Man related from Slott.

tim1138

I'm not reading Future's End, so that's good to know. And I can't wait for the next arc. That last page with
the new Longbow Hunters
was hype. Ollie's going back to a world of shit.

It's amazing that between the show and this book, I've gone from being kind of "eh" on Green Arrow to him being probably one of my favorite DC heroes over the past year. See DC? This is how you push a character. It's not that hard, you guys.

Since Lemire took over, Green Arrow has been the best book from DC each and every month. I had no issues with them making Ollie younger in the N52, but lord knows the previous writers had no idea what to do with him. Lemire not previously being a fan of the character has probably positively contributed to his run. He doesn't have any of the baggage of previous incarnations of Ollie and is just telling the stories that feel right to him while redefining old concepts and not trying to shoehorn them in as they existed prior to the reboot. His reimagining of the Outsiders for example was absolutely brilliant. I hope he, Sorrentino, and Maiolo stay on this book for a long time.

Fraction wrote one of my all-time favorite Spider-Man stories with "To Have and to Hold", reflecting on Peter and MJ's evolving relationship. One of my favorite sequences was when both characters are reminiscing about the same scene, but you get the narration captions from their perspectives. Its a wonderfully effective narrative device, one of those things that works best in comics, exposes the insecurities of both these characters in a way that feels very human and relatable. The early stages of trying to develop a relationship with someone you respect and hope/fear feels the same way about you.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Norman says no, death is not final! Just accept the return of superior ultimate spidey. You've already lost one, the second should hurt alot less.
Argh, I just want this series to be completely about Miles. Quit reverting to Peter and his friends every two issues-- outside the Prowler arc it was basically all filled with Peter stuff.
It seriously infuriates me that in the first issue of a series called MILES MOARLES: Ultimate Spider-man, we see Peter. It's in the fucking title! Get lost, Parker.

Toa TAK

Banned
That Superior Spider-Man idea is the flat out best ever in comics history.

Hope is true.

Just read Miles Spidey and there is nothing more to add to the convo. I really liked it and think Bendis writes the best Spider-Man.
Alas, opinions that are my own.
He let people get shot, then executed the guy? IIRC when Peter beat him, he went straight to the guy in a bullet-proof suit to absorb shots aimed at civilians and a radio jammer stopping the bomb threat. Otto royally fucked up handling Massacre.

No he didn't, he fucked up. Peter did better when he was handicapped. Bulletproof suit, radio jammers, Massacre was entirely disarmed the instant Peter stepped through the window.

The secondary problem isn't even killing Massacre either, it was how he did it. It's like the difference between a killer dying in a shootout versus getting shot by a cop disarmed and on his knees.

edit: I actually in retrospect really like SSM myself entirely because it shows how Otto in Peter's shoes failed every step of the way.

I'm just happy he executed the guy. I haven't read any of the Amazing line before #700, so I don't know how Peeta handled it, compared to Ock.

Today was a GREAT day in comics for me. All purchases were great.

Ultimate Spider-Man - Miles Morales #1: Chameleon? Issue was actually really neat, and gave us a little insight into the mind of MJ, Ganke, and the instability of Miles as he hopes for his dad to come back. Also, that ending was not something I expected. The art is pretty good, too.

Loki - Agent of Asgard #3 - 4: We're talking about story-building per issue? The third one did it in a decent manner, showing us what Old Loki can do, and that's swell. Issue four was exactly what I expected it to be until the ending. I have high hopes for this series.

Moon Knight #3: This is in my top 5 series at the moment. That art. That writing. That character development while keeping the one-issue-story mode intact. This is good. Also, the
undead-fighting armor
is way too cool for school.

Magneto #3: I'll be honest. It made me a bit nauseous, but damn. This is a series to follow. Getting to know about Magneto's fall through his eyes was really cool, while the developments in the issue were neat. Not sure where this series is going right now, but I'm feeling it.

Original Sin #1: I said DAMN. That art is gooooooooooooooood. I'm excited to see what this event leads to. The interaction between characters in the beginning was really neat, since I have not read anything with that before. The investigation teams are going to provide some neat moments, so I'm excited for that. Also,
what the hell were Spidey and the Thing fighting?

Fraction wrote one of my all-time favorite Spider-Man stories with "To Have and to Hold", reflecting on Peter and MJ's evolving relationship. One of my favorite sequences was when both characters are reminiscing about the same scene, but you get the narration captions from their perspectives. Its a wonderfully effective narrative device, one of those things that works best in comics, exposes the insecurities of both these characters in a way that feels very human and relatable. The early stages of trying to develop a relationship with someone you respect and hope/fear feels the same way about you.
Oh, that's way rad. I'm going to go check that out.

diaspora

Alas, opinions that are my own.

I'm just happy he executed the guy. I haven't read any of the Amazing line before #700, so I don't know how Peeta handled it, compared to Ock.

Fair enough- though most of Superior is Otto doing things worse than what Peter had done in previous arcs. That's why I find it so enjoyable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom